Fish Finder Question

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/25 20:34:52 (permalink)

Fish Finder Question

For you boat guys.  Dad bought a new fish finder.  It's a Lowrance, but I cannot tell you which model.

When the boat is under power, the screen images are clear as day; however, as soon as he idles down, the image gets cluttered as all get out.  It takes a few moments before the image clears up again.  I'm out of my element here; does anyone have an idea as to what's causing this?

Thanks in advance,

"Syd"

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

6 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re:Fish Finder Question 2012/07/25 21:01:27 (permalink)
    Without knowing exactly how it is positioned on the transom this is just a guess... but at speed the 'prop wash' is pushed down and back as you move forward.... when you slow it allows more turbulance to gather around the prop/transducer area and the bubbles can cause confusion in the signal.  There may be a 'noise reduction' type setting that can reduce that effect.
    The details of the 'fish finder' are something I'm not great at, but that would be the first thing I would rule out.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re:Fish Finder Question 2012/07/26 09:39:29 (permalink)
    I'm with fisherlady.  If it clears up fairly quickly after he slows down and works fine at trolling speed, I'd say a propwash/bubble issue.  What size/type boat does he have and where is the transducer mounted on it?

http://www.lowrance.com/Support/Tips-and-Tutorials/Transducer-Guide/
    "Most of our permanent-mount transducers are designed for high-speed operations. For the best results, the transducer should be placed where a smooth, undisturbed flow of water will pass across the face of the transducer at all boat speeds. Read your transducer's owner's manual before installing the transducer!

<< Transom Mount
    The transom-mount transducer is the most popular, and it's generally the easiest to install. The Skimmer® transducer design performs best when it is slightly below the boat's hull. A plastic transducer is recommended on aluminum or steel-hulled boats to avoid potential electrolysis problems.

Mounting the transducer on the transom is recommended for outboard and stern-drive (I/O) powered boats only. Transom mounting is ideal for high-speed operation and models with the "kick-up" feature will prevent damage if the transducer strikes an object.

Make certain that the chosen location doesn't interfere with the boat's trailer. DO NOT mount the transducer directly behind the ribs, or thru-hull fittings. Typically, on aluminum boats, mounting the transducer between two ribs works best. On all hulls, mount the transducer at least one foot away from the engine's lower unit. This helps to prevent air bubbles from the transducer interfering with the propeller.

Periodically wash the bottom of the transducer with soap and water to remove any oil film or growth that may collect. Oil and dirt reduce the transducer's sensitivity and can even prevent its operation."

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Fish Finder Question 2012/07/26 10:31:23 (permalink)
    I certainly think the prop-wash explanation is a reasonable one and it would be worth looking into the noise reduction feature as Fisherlady suggests, if one exists on your dad's unit. 

Get the model number and take a look through the operator's manual here: http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Manuals/

just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Fish Finder Question 2012/08/19 08:36:22 (permalink)
    fisherlady is spot on the only other thing would be electronic noise. if your transducer is mounted properly look at how your wires are run
    yjackfl
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Fish Finder Question 2012/08/22 01:17:20 (permalink)
    With a fishfinder, you'll know where the fish are and how many of them are in that particular spot.
     A Portable Fish finder the  display will show individual fish. It help you distinguish between the BIG fish and the BAIT fish.  That POWER's in your hands, now!
    ..................................................................................................................................
    Cabo Fishing | Cozumel Fishing | Puerto Vallarta fishing

smhj
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:Fish Finder Question 2012/08/27 18:54:11 (permalink)
    I had the same thing for about a month now. I hit something pulling out of the ramp. Bent a prop blade a little bit.
    Jump to: