Watercraft

Author
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/16 11:50:49 (permalink)

Watercraft

So I was doing some research and wondering if anyone used this or a similar craft to Navigate whitewater with and if this craft would be able to withstand some big water.  Would somthing like this negotiate the Yough?  just looking for some opinion. 

11 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/16 12:33:03 (permalink)
    Loomis  I have never tried one and doubt my back could handle it BUT  If your Avitar came with one I"D BUY  LOL

TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/16 18:18:33 (permalink)
    if either of your avatars came with hell i would buy without doubt
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/16 18:53:54 (permalink)
    Do they call those pontoons?  Same set up as a pontoon boat.  I have not seen many of them around, but a f&bc officer was floating one on the yough around smithton this year.

Try this forum:  http://forums.riversmallies.com/forums/

I think some guys on there may be able to answer some questions for you.
    As for whitewater...pick any spot on any creek or river in swpa these days!
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/16 23:25:13 (permalink)
    Loomis, I have owned a couple of those pontoon boats but have not used it on whitewater. 

Most of these pontoon boats can be used on Class I and II waters and boats are made for higher classes, they just cost more (and have larger tubes).

As I recall the Yough has several classes of stretches so you should plan accordingly.

Here are some places you can do some research.

http://www.jpwinc.com/

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/inflatable-boats/compare-kayak-raft.shtm

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/

I can recommend a Dave Scadden because I have one but there are many good boats of this type. 

HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/17 01:23:32 (permalink)
    I'm sure that thing could handle the Yough depends on where though, definatly probably below Connellsville, just maybe in lower water you have find a deeper route thru the shallow rapids thru that stretch, if not you can always get out and walk it through cause that cold water always feels good on hot summer days.

Ronnie
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/17 08:15:15 (permalink)
    Loomis - I have the Waterskeeter Inflatable Pontoon that is available in the Orvis Catalog and have used it quite a bit for the last four years.  I've used it in many different places, but never in "true" whitewater.  It's excellent for lakes and bigger rivers like French, etc.  I did use it on the ocean in the Outer Banks, and it wasn't too bad, but then again I'm 25 and pretty active.  But I would definitely recommend them, they're really a good time, and I've definitely increased my catching.

post edited by dealinsteel - 2007/12/17 08:19:31
    marble_eye
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/17 09:49:56 (permalink)
    I agree with kayak 99, the Scadden boats are excellent.  They will send you a free DVD if you call them.  I was looking at the model Cabelas carries, cant remember the name, but it was a 2 man.  The pontoons are nice quality and the frame is powder coated aluminum.
    Another route, albeit more expensive, is the Shredder made by Airtight Inflatables in Ohiopyle.  The quality is excellent and will handle all of the whitewater in this area, no problem.  My cousin has one and we fish from Confluence to Ohipyle, and Mill Run to Connellsville quite frequently.  Either of these boats will get you in the fast water, cause after all, that's where the fish are alot of the time.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/17 15:58:44 (permalink)
    Dealinsteel,  Do you think the pontoon you got is better for the water you fish or would a sit on top kayak be better?  I have been looking to get something for lakes rivers and bigger creeks and came to the decision on a hobie outback, but do you think the pontoon you have is better?  how much was it?  Why did you chose it over a kayak?
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/17 16:28:25 (permalink)
    well im 22 and darn active I need somthing to vent my energy even more which is why I wanted to look into this, I have a decent amount of whitewater experience and certainly respect the Mighty Yough.  Ill have to do some more research and call the company.  I have used the shredder raft before which is what sparked the idea, I just wanted somthing that was more manueverable and maybe easier to turn around in some of the big eddies, thanks for the replies guys its good to see a decent informative post here every once in awhile. 
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/17 18:33:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TransAmWS6

Dealinsteel,  Do you think the pontoon you got is better for the water you fish or would a sit on top kayak be better?  I have been looking to get something for lakes rivers and bigger creeks and came to the decision on a hobie outback, but do you think the pontoon you have is better?  how much was it?  Why did you chose it over a kayak?

TransAm, If I may comment because I own all of the above, a Prijon (sit-in) Touring yak, a Hobie Outback Fisherman, a Dave Scadden pontoon plus some canoes.

Each had it's own claim to fame. Each has strong points as well as weaknesses.  There is no perfect boat if you fish varying waters. If I had only one boat though it would be the pontoon.

You can spend varying amounts of money on pontoons but buy the best you can afford. You can get them as cheap as a couple hunders bucks with steel frames and innertube quality airbags but you do not want one.  You definately want an aluminum frame, a hard type seat (not the folding soft type), and quality pontoons.  The latter being very important cuz if you rip one or get one that will not last, they almost cost the price of the boat to replace.  Plus you don't want to try to float on only one inflated so get good pontoons!!  (Be careful not to over-inflate on a sunny day.  You could blow one as they expand in the heat.)

My second favorite boat is the Hobie.  I've used it on lakes, rivers, creeks and saltwater.  A great performer but If I get another I might try the new Hobie Adventure.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Watercraft 2007/12/18 10:47:02 (permalink)
    TransAm- I love that boat and would not trade it for anything else.  I own a 95 Toyota Avalon and it totally fits in the trunk, and takes about 15 minutes to get ready to fish.  I have used it from ice-out until ice-up, and had one of my best weeks of fishing ever Late Winter trout fishing on Perez Lake in State College two years ago - 167 trout in 5 days on the same countdown rapala.  I think one of the reasons why I like this boat so much is the stability of it, I have never felt like I wasn't safe out there, and have never been in a position where I felt I compromised my own safety to get to a spot.  I've been able to get to more places than ever before, the boat has a 3" draft.  Check the Sierra Trading Co. catalog because I know they run closeouts on them every few months, which will make it a little more affordable, but all in all I don't know what I'd do without it.  
    Jump to: