Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller

Author
ggmys
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/10 13:45:08 (permalink)

Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller

On a prior boat I have used the Cabela's Hydrotroll...worked well but too much stress on plastic plate. I like the idea of the automatic Trol-a-matic, but concerned about the lack of reverse thrust. I am leaning towards the Easytroll w/fins, but did not like the mechanical/rope operation from the old Hydrotroll. Does anyone have any advise they would share?
Thank you!

7 Replies Related Threads

fishlip
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller 2012/04/07 10:43:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ggmys

On a prior boat I have used the Cabela's Hydrotroll...worked well but too much stress on plastic plate. I like the idea of the automatic Trol-a-matic, but concerned about the lack of reverse thrust. I am leaning towards the Easytroll w/fins, but did not like the mechanical/rope operation from the old Hydrotroll. Does anyone have any advise they would share?
    Thank you!

The Trol-A-Matic Trolling Plate will be my next trolling plate. It has some great reviews from those who bought them. Mine is a manual one which is a pain in the arse to get to raise or lower. Moving slow and pulling on the rope sometimes doesn't release it, and I've bent it a couple of times :-( Just my 2 cents.
    Fishlip

Fishlip
    Mtn. Home Idaho
    ggmys
    New Angler
    RE: Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller 2012/04/07 22:00:13 (permalink)
    There is still value in two cents! I still bend over and pick up the pennies. Thanks for your insight.
    wanderer
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller 2012/04/08 05:04:20 (permalink)
    take a look at the plate made by johnson marine never used one but tempted looks like it might work
    ggmys
    New Angler
    RE: Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller 2012/04/08 15:03:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the JMS plate information...I was not aware of their product. I have sent an email to JMS/Walt with the following questions:

Does the JMS plate remain/stay in the down/baffle position until increase in throttle raises plate automatically?

What type of reverse performance impact can I expect?

Does the JMS plate aid as a cavitation plate at open throttle?

Does it impact WOT performance (such as porpoising)?

If your product does not perform to my expectations, your return policy covers a full refund? However, are the required mounting holes universal with other trolling/cavitation plates?
    fishlip
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller 2012/04/15 10:33:26 (permalink)

Thanks for the JMS plate information...I was not aware of their product. I have sent an email to JMS/Walt with the following questions:

Does the JMS plate remain/stay in the down/baffle position until increase in throttle raises plate automatically?

What type of reverse performance impact can I expect?

Does the JMS plate aid as a cavitation plate at open throttle?

Does it impact WOT performance (such as porpoising)?

If your product does not perform to my expectations, your return policy covers a full refund? However, are the required mounting holes universal with other trolling/cavitation plates?

I hope you post the results you get back from your questions,, it would be interesting to read I'm sure.

Fishlip
    Mtn. Home Idaho
    ggmys
    New Angler
    RE: Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller 2012/04/15 22:44:38 (permalink)
    I did receive a reply from JMS, but not very clear:

"Yes this type of plate has been in use for 30 years. Made of case aluminum and powder coated black.
    We has sold many. I would use the large plate and should get your speed down to 1.3 mph.
    The hole in the middle allows you to go into reverse without problems.
    Also going forward allow exhaust to flow through the middle of the plate.
    It will also work as a hydro-foil when starting up.
    1 year warranty and refundable if you decide not to use it."

I ask futher: Will the holes align with other hydro-foil holes, just in case???

JMS responded: "You might have 2 of them that will match.
    You can drill a couple of new holes on the fork."

This answer scares me a little...it doesn't sound as if the JMS holes are universal...as this will be the 1st plate mounted on my new motor I'm not sure I want to drill holes that may not align with another plate...even if I was to drill 2 new holes in the JMS plate, the fork does not look durable enough to hold up to additional holes being drilled...I did not ask if they will honor the warranty after I drill holes in their product.

I am hopeful to get feedback from any other trolling plate users before I make the final decision.
    BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Trolling Plates: Trol-a-matic vs. Easytroller 2012/04/16 07:40:41 (permalink)

...it doesn't sound as if the JMS holes are universal...
    Don't suspect that these companies adhere to any kind of "universal" specifications, and Chevy parts won't fit a Ford!

...I did not ask if they will honor the warranty after I drill holes in their product.
    After you deface it and alter its ability to be resold, they shouldn't be liable to take it back! 

Yes, we are still here!
    Jump to: