Article on recent Pa. record entries

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/15 19:48:08 (permalink)

Gettin that way around here too RSB. Try goose hunting in good areas-all sewn up-- In some cases its guides who have bought up the Leases- I have issues with that.
 BTW like your response on the landowner/poacher too.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/15 20:26:58 (permalink)
Some people,please stay out of things about buck hunting P&Y ,B&C these are things you don't know about, stick with doe talk,Susie ,Betty,old Sally in the hemlocks.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/15 20:33:33 (permalink)
That my thing - nice Bucks, and a few states each year too ,for over 50 years  --Suzie
( hope to @ell you were tryin to fire up somebody else an I mistook your last- if so Ill recind the Suzie thing with a lol too---if not- whatever brought that rant on?)
post edited by retired guy - 2012/02/15 20:51:02
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 08:27:49 (permalink)
Every, let me repeat that slowly, e-v-e-r-y, piece of property that I know of that has been posted in the last 5-8 years has been for only one reason -- to control their own deer herd and keep others who do not have a like philosophy out and it doesn't matter if they are scratch out a living truck farmers with 60 acres or well off folks with 600 to 2,000 acres.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 09:38:06 (permalink)
The farmer may, in some cases, agree to lease his property in order to get some needed cash BUT MOST people who are leasing the property are doing it for the purpose of controlling access and perserving and increasing deer for their own benefit. MORE leasing has been done (at least in areas I hunt or know of) in the last 7-8 years than in the previous 60 years.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 09:55:03 (permalink)
MORE leasing has been done (at least in areas I hunt or know of) in the last 7-8 years than in the previous 60 years.

Yep. Almost everyone has a price.

I gotta ask ya, how much land do you think it takes to EFFECTIVELY manage and control "your own" deer herd?

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 10:31:27 (permalink)
I gotta ask ya, how much land do you think it takes to EFFECTIVELY manage and control "your own" deer herd?

Ironhed

That's a hard question to answer without knowing your definition of Effective or knowing the makeup of the land or the size of the deer herd you wish to manage.

If the land consists of a lot of crop fields and minimal cover it could be many hundreds or even thousands of acres. More if you consider the rut.

If the land consists of prime bedding grounds interspersed with crop fields and/or hard and soft mast it could be considerbly less.

If your definition of Effective means containing 80% of the bucks in your own area it is again at least seveal hundred acres of prime bedding feed areas.(even more during the rut). Again depending on the size herd you want.

I consider Reasonable Effective control as having the proper amount of bedding/feed areas to a keep set number of deer coming in and out of your area and spending the majority of their time bedding in your bedding grounds.
The actual number of animals and time they spend depends of the time and money you are willing to spend improving and increasing your land.

I would only need to control enough to harvest 3 bucks each year, so my needs would be way less than a large group of hunters. It could be less than a hundred acres for legal bucks, considerbly (way) more for booners.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 10:40:07 (permalink)
10- Agree on size
Hunted a 200 acre wooded spot for years surrounded by a few hundred acres of off limits PVT property with no hunting. Was able to 'manage' said property  only taking 2  mature bucks each season.
  Because of the size of the combined area and the fact that the area hunted had the 'funnel' where deer moved between bedding and food. I could take two nice Deer each year without affecting the herd. Also got a great feel for the herd size by virtue of said funnel. Great buck to doe ratio.
     The Herd maintained very well, however, it became clear after a few years that the numbers were getting way too high and the taking of mature Doe was begun as well on a  limited basis.
    Was great till they built houses and a shopping mall there.
Had a similar amount of acreage on a farm surrounded by places open to hunting and could never have even begun to 'manage' in a similar manner what with open fields and the Deer moving from area to area so regularly.
That one was  pot luck although some mature Bucks were available every other year or so. The limited Doe harvest I did was only on the last day or two of every other season or so well after the main rutting behavior. Always consider Doe as live bait during the rut.
post edited by retired guy - 2012/02/16 10:54:17
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 11:24:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Ironhed

MORE leasing has been done (at least in areas I hunt or know of) in the last 7-8 years than in the previous 60 years.

Yep. Almost everyone has a price.

Ironhed

I would say a lot of factors come into play when considering size, with one of the most important factors being not the size of that particular property per se, but what surrounds it.  My neighbor owns two acres, but because of the posted ground, developed ground, etc. around it, it is like he has control of 1,000 acres.  Another posted area I know consists of about 500 acres, but with the neighbors posting and having like philosophies, they in concert control about 3,000 acres.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 13:00:18 (permalink)
This is one of those questions that if it were the subject of a research project Dardys would (correctly) rip apart as being incomplete in establishing the parameters and known conditions in the beginning leading to a flawed or at least incomplete finding at the end. . It does make for interesting discussion when it's a crappy day outside however.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 13:28:07 (permalink)
Nah the goon/thug can only research conducters.

Whole different set of rules for PGC research projects, they use their new math.

Gheeeeez thought you all knew that.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 13:30:11 (permalink)
^ True.

I guess the way to look at it, to use a fishing analogy -- this is fisherie after all -- is that you don't need to command the whole trib, just the right part of the right pool, in order to e successful.

The way I look at it is that enough area is needed so that the deer rarely to never need to approach any boarder where they may be subjected to someone who has a different philosophy.  Depending on the amount of posted and/or unaccessible for whatever reason surrounding the property, it may need to be very large or not much at all. 

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 13:52:29 (permalink)

I'm in northwest PA. Some of you downstate where deer numbers are much lower than around here............i would imagine landowner and hunter philosophies on this issue are different. So you could get many correct answers to this discussion based on what area you are from.

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Article on recent Pa. record entries 2012/02/16 15:54:57 (permalink)
    One thing that has huge impact is poaching- That first area I mentioned had been poached hard before I got it on a legit permit. The owner and I posted it heavily and as it was within my LE borders I  patrolled it year round.    
      Poachers got no seasons to contend with.
Stopped a lotta guys there and read from the book- sad to say the bulk of the poachers were bow hunters. Slip in wearing full camo and no loud shots .
     A coupla years after they stopped poaching  the herd clearly was on the rebound and the age of the Deer was increasing ( better bucks by a big margin) .
     The place actually had a prior reputation as the 'place to go' for illegal Deer.
  THAT CHANGED.
Notice one thing that comes up here from time to time is the cumulative affect of poachers on the gross herd numbers- if that place was any example- it can be significant.
    BTW--- in regard to Dars comments- the BEST Archery place I ever had was a little 15 acre strip of woods between a large reservior (off limits property) and the only farm around (also non hunting).
post edited by retired guy - 2012/02/16 16:08:35
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: