Church Tackle TK-12 Planer Boards

Author
bigesox11
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 122
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/02 13:17:48 (permalink)

Church Tackle TK-12 Planer Boards

Has anyone ever used them? Just looking for some reviews. Wondering if I should go bigger or not. Wanted to run some bigger plugs here and there. Thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

willi724
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Church Tackle TK-12 Planer Boards 2012/02/02 22:36:18 (permalink)
    i use church walleye boards, mostly for trolling live bait for stripers. they work pretty well, once and a while one will pop off when dragging in a big one. i don't know what your fishing for but i would go up a size. you can adjust tightness on the line clip for different lines or whatever. i don't like little birdie and i see alot of off shores out there but haven't used them. but everyone i see uses boards about the size of the walleye board
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Church Tackle TK-12 Planer Boards 2012/02/03 10:12:58 (permalink)
    Sox,
    I run 4 church tackle tx-22 they are pretty good. They are are big enough to run a 800 series reef even with an oz or two. They also have the taddle flag. The spring loaded taddle flag is a must for harness fishing in erie. The flag will give away a bite or if you got a farm yard fish. Without the taddle flag the only way you know you have a fish is if the board goes under or drops behind the boat. This is not always the case with a walleye or a farm yard fish. Some times the walleye will swim with the boat once hooked. If you have two boards out on 1 side its easier to detect a fish because you can reference the board spacing between each other. With one board out a side you have no reference other than all that water on the horizion......
    The tx-12 are smaller than the 22. I dont know if they would hold up to a reef or erie on a rough day. I dont think they have taddle flags either.
    You can get a pro pack of 2 tx-22 with taddle flags on line for about 100 bucks.
    Some guys like off shore boards better. I havent used them yet. They say the float better.
    One thing to caution you about. When you drop the church board out to fish, be sure to give it line right away. If you drop it behind the boat and it goes under slightly and you dont give it line, it will be like a crank bait. Dive!
    All in all i like em.

Hope this helps......
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Church Tackle TK-12 Planer Boards 2012/02/03 10:33:12 (permalink)
    I have a half dozen Church Walleye boards and 4 of the new TX-44s.  I also used to run Offshore's.  I like Church's better, but I've never run the 12's myself...I would think they'd be a bit light for my use (hard pulling cranks and jets).  By your name I'm guessing this would be for musky trolling?  If so, I think I'd opt for the 22's.
    bigesox11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Church Tackle TK-12 Planer Boards 2012/02/06 11:17:39 (permalink)
    Don't troll much and when I do, I don't run more than two lines. I saw them 1/2 off at****s and thought about picking them up to use for multiple species. I wasn't able to find much on them. I would most likely at time try to run a few bigger lures. I thought I read somewhere that they did hold up using bigger lures. I wasn't looking to spend $100. I can get two of them new for $24. Please let me knwow if anyone has used them with larger plugs. Thanks.
    mymuskyateyourbass
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Church Tackle TK-12 Planer Boards 2012/02/12 17:59:51 (permalink)
    I stick to my big boards for almost every application.  Sometimes its hard to tell when you get a smaller fish when using inline boards unless you are using a tattle-flag.  Plus i can pull BIG lures at any speed up to 5mph+ when trying to cover water. 

Musky, all other fish are just bait!
    Ask me about getting DirecTV hooked up on your boat or camper
    Jump to: