Fall 2011 archery wrap-up

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 10:18:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Steelie, myself and 3 other guys hunted 2f for 1 full day(Nov. 7th). While hunting we saw 4 diff bucks,6 doe, 1 turkey,1 bear,2 grouse, and a woodcock. While driving we saw 2 bucks and 2 doe. Pretty good sightings considering we didn't have time to scout. 2f has good hunting you just need to find where the animals are. I hunted near a game lands in Tidioute.

So four guys hunting a full day saw a total of 10 deer?  Presuming a full day = 8 hours or a total of 32 for the group, then the average would be seeing a deer every 3.2 hours.

And you call that "good hunting?"

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 11:34:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

Steelie, myself and 3 other guys hunted 2f for 1 full day(Nov. 7th). While hunting we saw 4 diff bucks,6 doe, 1 turkey,1 bear,2 grouse, and a woodcock. While driving we saw 2 bucks and 2 doe. Pretty good sightings considering we didn't have time to scout. 2f has good hunting you just need to find where the animals are. I hunted near a game lands in Tidioute.

So four guys hunting a full day saw a total of 10 deer?  Presuming a full day = 8 hours or a total of 32 for the group, then the average would be seeing a deer every 3.2 hours.

And you call that "good hunting?"

Archery hunting, only one day, heck yeah those are great single day sightings/numbers, esp. the buck sightings, even for down here in 2B. Archery hunting: hrs of boredom puncuated by mins, or merely seconds of chaos, esp. in November.
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 12:40:46 (permalink)
Dars, we had a 2 hour lunch break. We actually hunted blind(as I said NO scouting). I was happy with the results(no one had a 2f doe tag). If we would have scouted I am sure we would of had higher numbers. Guess you rifle hunters expect to see 50 deer a day. Those days are long gone. How many people see a bear in the woods? I bet very few.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 14:39:45 (permalink)
Actually, last year we saw more bear from stand than deer in 2F.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 15:40:42 (permalink)

Dars, we had a 2 hour lunch break. We actually hunted blind(as I said NO scouting). I was happy with the results(no one had a 2f doe tag). If we would have scouted I am sure we would of had higher numbers. Guess you rifle hunters expect to see 50 deer a day. Those days are long gone. How many people see a bear in the woods? I bet very few.

The four of you saw 10 total deer.  That equals 2.5 deer per day per hunter.  How does that translate into "you rifle hunters expect to see 50 deer a day?"  I know that I don't.  But I darn sure do expect to see more than 2-3.

With the extended lunch break, you might get to what the average on this thread has been so far which is about 2.5 hours per deer sighting.  Sorry, I don't call that "good hunting" scouting or no scouting. 

Tell me that in the pre-Alt days that unless one was a complete Bozo that they could not head into just about any section of "deer woods" (presuming the reason you hunted this area is it looked like a spot were deer would reside) in any section of the state and be able to see 10 deer per hunter per day rather than 10 deer per four hunters per day.

And yes, I have seen many bears in the woods.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 15:47:52 (permalink)
  Guess I was complete BOZO then  Never averaged 10 deer ph for a season in my life.

Never mind , thought u wrote 10 deer per hr.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2011/11/16 16:10:50
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 15:55:45 (permalink)

You left out the best part. There was literally thousands and thousands of acres of public property ranging from SGL to timber co property to national forest all with in walking distance from one another and no one was out hunting. It will be interesting to see how many flee to the woods opening day of rifle deer in 2F since you can't kill Bambi. Bet it's going to be real quiet till Saturday.I thought I saw a bear in the woods once but it turned out to be a fat black Labrador retriever. wink wink
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 16:05:48 (permalink)
Tell me that in the pre-Alt days that unless one was a complete Bozo that they could not head into just about any section of "deer woods" (presuming the reason you hunted this area is it looked like a spot were deer would reside) in any section of the state and be able to see 10 deer per hunter per day rather than 10 deer per four hunters per day.

I have to agree with you. Numbers are down as to years past. I have hunted 2f for a long time and have noticed a big change. As the deer numbers dropped so did the hunters. There are some deer and a lot are on private property. More land where I hunt is now posted than ever before and I can't blame them for posting it. Hunting whitetails has changed so much over the past years.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 16:53:42 (permalink)
  My one kid put 72 hrs. on stand the last week ov the season & missed the same 13-14 point with a 23 - 24" spread twice within 15 yrds. 

crappy
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 16:56:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

My one kid put 72 hrs. on stand the last week ov the season & missed the same 13-14 point with a 23 - 24" spread twice within 15 yrds. 

crappy

Was it lack of pratice or buck fever ?
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 17:12:41 (permalink)
  No, he is a dead eye & even on his first Jr. hunt we crawled on our stomachs to set up for his 1st ever shot at a deer & he was as calm as could be but I was a nervous wreck . First shot at this big one he tried to make it stop but it kept walking so he snorted a second time & he stopped, hit a very sm. twig. Second shot came when it stood up face to face in a grass field 3 yrds. away, by the time Timmy got his release out & arrow notched it stood looking at him at 10 yrds. , the tall grass made the shot a clean miss. He just showed me a photo ov that buck on his cell phone a few min. ago.

crappy
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 17:22:34 (permalink)

No, he is a dead eye & even on his first Jr. hunt we crawled on our stomachs to set up for his 1st ever shot at a deer & he was as calm as could be but I was a nervous wreck . First shot at this big one he tried to make it stop but it kept walking so he snorted a second time & he stopped, hit a very sm. twig. Second shot came when it stood up face to face in a grass field 3 yrds. away, by the time Timmy got his release out & arrow notched it stood looking at him at 10 yrds. , the tall grass made the shot a clean miss. He just showed me a photo ov that buck on his cell phone a few min. ago.

crappy

That's hunting, better than a wounded deer. Get em next time. Good luck to him. Just courious how old is Timmy ?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 18:41:09 (permalink)
"that's hunting" ..

not sure I agree with shooting an arrow at a deer in tall grass is an example of good shot placement...

well off to my sportman's meeting... nite all......
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 20:39:19 (permalink)
  Think I would've went for the juggler ... hunt & learn......
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 23:22:59 (permalink)
Mabee he just compensated to much for the 10 yard shot and missed.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/16 23:49:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Mabee he just compensated to much for the 10 yard shot and missed.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/17 01:04:11 (permalink)
Nope... the shot was through a golden rod field about shoulder height and i could not see the little shrub trees right in front of the buck..... The buck would score around 160''... maybe even close to 170... He is a true GIANT... Just hope I am lucky enough to get a chance at him during rifle season. Also I just turned 21 on the 7th of this month.

Tim
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Fall 2011 archery wrap-up 2011/11/17 01:41:42 (permalink)

Nope... the shot was through a golden rod field about shoulder height and i could not see the little shrub trees right in front of the buck..... The buck would score around 160''... maybe even close to 170... He is a true GIANT... Just hope I am lucky enough to get a chance at him during rifle season. Also I just turned 21 on the 7th of this month.

Tim

Tim I think Bings comment was an inside joke and not aimed at you. Anyways I wish you good luck in getting that nice buck !
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: