The Rut

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SteelieWheelie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 991
  • Reward points: 0
RE: The Rut 2011/11/03 07:56:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGHEAD

Finally had the right wind last evening to hunt the monster buck tree stand. less than hour in stand see a two deer out in a field. 10 minutes later here comes a big doe walks in behind me hmmm there was two deer, look a down the trail a bit farther the second was a nice 8 point. Waited till he got some cover between us I stand up turn around trailing the doe he has no Idea I'm there and drawing back he stops broadside at 18 yards. I let it fly caught the string on mine sleeve and the arrow drops after 10 yards AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH He kinda flinched and down the trail he goes head down and on the doe trail. On a good note seen scraps and rubs all around that area. Dave P.S.DIDN'T have my phone to take a pic and post it while in my stand LOLOLOLOL

this post was at 5:30 in the morning...I wonder where he's at right now

Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish like hell
And make up lies!
akitadog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 977
RE: The Rut 2011/11/03 21:25:29 (permalink)
bucks here in fayette been chasing and checking doe for 3 to 4 weeks. my buddy shot a real nice 8 point yesterday at 11:45am just after he ran sum doe over the hill my buddy whacked him. full rut. neck big as can be and tarsal glands stinken to all hell.
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: The Rut 2011/11/04 04:38:44 (permalink)
Getting ready for work. Seen a 9 or 10 point last night he just wouldn't come in. The can call really didn't work either.Although a little scrub liked it. Dave
post edited by BIGHEAD - 2011/11/04 04:51:48
SteelieWheelie
Expert Angler
RE: The Rut 2011/11/04 07:04:38 (permalink)
Lastnight around 6 i have a buck coming right to me on the trail i drug a doe **** rag..he came to about 50 yds downwind of me and of course got a whiff of my stinky aass and ran. I turn around and see a doe moving through the woods. she starts coming to me and a buck was hot on her trail..they ended up coming about 40 yds away. not close enough for me but that was the first time i had ever seen a buck chasing while i was hunting. Pretty neat!

Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish like hell
And make up lies!
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2124
RE: The Rut 2011/11/05 08:52:03 (permalink)
The bucks are in full rut where I hunt and hate each other. I took an 8 point on wednesday. And boy was he ****ed. Used dominant buck lure and a decoy. I wasnt gonna take him, was hoping for brutus. But he looked like he was gonna smash up my $159 decoy.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
RE: The Rut 2011/11/05 19:55:59 (permalink)
Once I got in this morn not ten
min iheard walking turned and a scrub buck was under my my stand heard more foot steps and here comes the super 7 long story short ill one spooked then he did o got one off bit it fell short biggest buck iv seen on stand and I chocked still depressed bout it
rooster
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: The Rut 2011/11/07 11:54:43 (permalink)
what?
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
RE: The Rut 2011/11/09 07:39:21 (permalink)
As I was letting the mutts out of the kennel for a morning constitutional, I noticed a very "square" deer across the road in the neighbor's field.  It was at a distance, somewhere between 550 and 600, so I went in and got the binos.  It was just feeding along until the dogs came out of the high grass and into the mown yard.  Even at that distance, his head snapped up and he gave them the stare down.

After I put the dogs away, I settled into watch it, hoping that it came close enough for a good look.  At the angles that were presented, it was impossible to tell headgear through 8X, the fog, the low light, etc., but by the posture -- apparent lip curl smelling and such, I was pretty sure it was a decent buck.

After about ten minutes, he started that level head trot at a quick pace toward a spot of higher ragweed and another deer jumped up.  It was in a spot of sunshine, so I could clearly see that it was a doe.  It just stepped away from the other deer and it moved into the sunshine.  Now the antlers were evident -- wider than its body.

I felt the wind shift on the back of my neck and just as it did, another deer burst out of the head high cover and ran straight toward the doe.  It was a smaller buck, the antlers were inside of its ears, so they were easy to see -- looked like it had two sets of ears.  It was so interested in the doe that it didn't notice theother buck.  Well, at least not at first.  I was to far to hear, but something caused the smaller buck to whirl and look to where the large one was and if deer could speak English, you could just imagine him saying "Oh, crap."  He immediately backed off to the edge of the high grass from wence he came.

The bigger buck continued to follow the doe at a distance of about 25 yard for the next 30 minutes or so.  When they reached a tree line, he laid down (or freshened) a scrape.  They worked their way closer until the buck was at about 400 yards, just getting to the range where I might be able to get a good look at him and then something, maybe the neighbor's cattle coming out of the barn (about 200 yards form the deer), spooked them and they made a headlong run the length of the field, picking up the smaller buck along the way, into the thicket some 750 yards away.

While the buck was definately interested in the doe, she wasn't ready for him at all. 

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: The Rut 2011/11/10 15:38:43 (permalink)
YES the rut start showing up Monday ,I've been seeing small bucks chasing my son saw 3 bucks yesterday morning two junkers an a big shooter,I've not seen a legal buck from my ground blind this year plenty of does and fawns and a few junkers,two more days and I'm getting tired. My herniated disc L4 and L5 are buggin the H-LL out of me.I sat in the blind from 6:30 till 10:00 this morning and had to do a pain pill,its no fun getting old.Had a tank doe at 10 yards all by herself at 7:35 she milled and kept looking back but no buck showed.Well its 3:35 and if I'm going I better get to it,I'm already late.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: The Rut 2011/11/11 10:15:38 (permalink)
Things were starting to pick up last week for me and I did see some chasing, but I was out basically from sun-up to sun-down yesterday and saw a whopping 1 deer.  It was a busted up buck which really really didn't look all that rutty, seemed to just be cruising.  I am beginning to think the does I was trying to stay on have been run off sometime over the last week.

Heading back out in a few to fight the gale force winds again
SteelieWheelie
Expert Angler
RE: The Rut 2011/11/11 10:53:37 (permalink)
So i decide to take the gun for a walk and turkey hunt for a little bit this morning because i know where a flock is..walking and i hear a grunt. 8 pt comes by at 20 yds siffing a doe's arse hole. i just new it was going to happen. what a stupid idea.

Early to bed
Early to rise
Fish like hell
And make up lies!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
RE: The Rut 2011/11/11 11:44:13 (permalink)
Wheww...it was windy this am. Nice to have a coating of snow as a backdrop for an hr or so in northern Allegheny Co. Didn't help though. Only saw 3 doe/fawns and 1 4 or 6 pt (WAY OFF) and then 25 min. before I was going to leave, a doe and a half rack 3 pt bed down 30 yds from me. 10 min. before it was time to go, I start making "deer" noises to try and get them up and out of there. No dice. Next, I try full out burps and whistles. Nada. I am trying to get them out of there w/o seeing me in my tree. Next, I start barking like a dog and howling like a yote. I swear these were the dumbest deer I have ever seen. They still had not picked me out of the tree yet. Last try, I yell "get outta here deer" a few times and still nothing. 5 min. after the time I wanted to be out of the stand to make it back into work, I say heck with it and lower the bow and start climbing down the tree in my climber. I got to within 15 yds of them on my trail out and they still stayed bedded and just watched me. I guess they thought I never saw them. Oh well.....

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The Rut 2011/11/11 12:14:40 (permalink)
The two bucks posted about above were back chasing that doe again this morning.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: The Rut 2011/11/11 13:11:15 (permalink)
What the heck DarDys? Do you have a cornfeeder like Doc, and name all the deer in the neighborhood? 
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: The Rut 2011/11/11 19:52:01 (permalink)
I saw 8 baldies around 3 today which hung around to feed for an hour or so, but not one buck??  With the lack of does in this area for the past 3 seasons I am shocked that there was not a buck nearby.  It has been very, very rare in the past 3 years to see does without bucks harassing them in November around here.

Oh well, I guess I will be back in that area for my last chance of the season.  I just hope the PGC turns the wind machine off for tomorrow.

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The Rut 2011/11/14 07:33:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rsquared

What the heck DarDys? Do you have a cornfeeder like Doc, and name all the deer in the neighborhood? 

No.

The area across the rode consists of three parcels -- a newly started development (access road, but no homes until spring); farm ground owned by my wife's uncle (they couldn't kill (harvest, whatever) a deer if oyu turned it loose in a box truck and gave them a week); and a truck farmer (where the deer munch on his crops from spring through fall plowing).  There is no hunting on any of the ground with the exception of my wife's uncle and her cousins on their ground and the truck farmer who now lets his haying helpers hunt (for one season it was just me -- antlerless only -- now I don't go because the area is too small for his helpers and myself).

Before last season and the success of the haying helpers, it was not unusal to see 18 -24 deer out at one time.  The most Ihave seen at any one time this year was six.

There are deer aorund here though.  Last evening my wife and I took adrive for an hour before dark and saw 34.  Of course all of them were in areas of a state park that does not permit hunting (and more than a mile form where it does); on every-other fence-post-or-tree-posted-sign-property that contains a McMansion; or in suburban neighborhoods where one couldn't hunt with a bow, much less a forearm, even is they could get permission to do so (most lots are 1 acre or less).  We saw no deer on or near property that could be hunted (presuming that one could permission to do so if one wished).

As for naming deer, I take the same direction as a friend of mine that raises Warmuu (type of Kobe beef) cattle -- that one is named T-bone, that one is named Delmonico, that one is named Prime Rib, that one is named...

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3508
RE: The Rut 2011/11/14 07:43:26 (permalink)
It was crazy in 2A this past Saturday.  Saw breeding, chasing, cruising, fighting, bloody ears and racks,  1 giant buck pushing 150 and three others around 120-135.  

My rifle is a black rifle
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: The Rut 2011/11/16 12:05:55 (permalink)
I got to see a battle last night. Two 8 pts were after a doe a big 10 came running in, locked up with the bigger 8 and drove him into the ground. I thought he was going to kill him. Was actually a bit unnerving. About 10 yards from the truck.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: The Rut 2011/11/16 17:40:18 (permalink)
I still say the rut was canceled due to lack of interest from the bucks.,..WF
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: The Rut 2011/11/16 18:20:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: rsquared

No.

The area across the rode consists of three parcels -- a newly started development (access road, but no homes until spring); farm ground owned by my wife's uncle (they couldn't kill (harvest, whatever) a deer if oyu turned it loose in a box truck and gave them a week); and a truck farmer (where the deer munch on his crops from spring through fall plowing).  There is no hunting on any of the ground with the exception of my wife's uncle and her cousins on their ground and the truck farmer who now lets his haying helpers hunt (for one season it was just me -- antlerless only -- now I don't go because the area is too small for his helpers and myself).

Before last season and the success of the haying helpers, it was not unusal to see 18 -24 deer out at one time.  The most Ihave seen at any one time this year was six.

There are deer aorund here though.  Last evening my wife and I took adrive for an hour before dark and saw 34.  Of course all of them were in areas of a state park that does not permit hunting (and more than a mile form where it does); on every-other fence-post-or-tree-posted-sign-property that contains a McMansion; or in suburban neighborhoods where one couldn't hunt with a bow, much less a forearm, even is they could get permission to do so (most lots are 1 acre or less).  We saw no deer on or near property that could be hunted (presuming that one could permission to do so if one wished).

As for naming deer, I take the same direction as a friend of mine that raises Warmuu (type of Kobe beef) cattle -- that one is named T-bone, that one is named Delmonico, that one is named Prime Rib, that one is named...

So if you see the same deer, in the same place everynight(even though you can't hunt them) during season can you tally those as deer seen during season ???

Sure would make your numbers look better...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: The Rut 2011/11/16 18:52:25 (permalink)
   Aside from no mast crop here in Ct the rut seems late too. Rifle season started today and last night watched 6 flatheads and a fork and a 8 in a small field together feeding. The fork got interested and started sniffing a doe and she simply left the field - he turned and kept eating grass a few feet from the 8 who had never even looked up- rut????
 Jumped one late this morning then it rained-hard too.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
RE: The Rut 2011/11/17 08:14:03 (permalink)
Beautiful 8 pt. pushing doe through a field on my way home from work last night (within 1/4 of dahntahn Herminie, PA). There were at least 15 deer out in these couple of adjacent fields.

Saw a smaller 8 pt. on my way into work yesterday AM nosing around someones backyard.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: The Rut 2011/11/17 12:17:58 (permalink)
Saw a nice little 8 Point today crossing the road in mid day.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: The Rut 2011/11/17 17:34:52 (permalink)
I was getting my ground blind out of the woods today at 11:30 50 yards to the right there was a decent 8pt that I never saw all season.Then I drove my quad to see if my sons latter stand was still there ,it was and the 5 pt was standing 5 yards away.I shout the bike down and watch the show chasing after they got tired the bedding down within 30 of the bike.I drove by them and came back past them 20 min.later and they watch me drive by them.It alway seems to me that the rut really gets going the week after archery goes out.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: The Rut 2011/11/17 18:37:07 (permalink)
[image][/image]

I would have to say the rut is in full swing as I type. Check out his neck.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
RE: The Rut 2011/11/17 20:12:21 (permalink)
DINK! 
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: The Rut 2011/11/17 20:33:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

DINK! 

Hater !
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: The Rut 2011/11/17 21:27:57 (permalink)
Seen eyes like that before -- ZOMBIE
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: The Rut 2011/11/18 08:00:46 (permalink)
Took the hounds for an excercise run yesterday afternoon across the road.  In the far back corner a deer pops out of the woods, head to the ground.  When it finally looked up, I could see antlers with the naked eye at about 275 yards.  I paid no attention to the mutts or me.  When we closed to about 200, a doe got up out of the tall grass and looked right at us.  She decided we were not a good thing and bounded off.  The buck gave us a look and kept up his steady pace in the direction the doe went.  Apparently he he believes that slow and steady wins the race and that he will chase her until she catches him.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: