Does this bother you?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/17 19:17:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

It would be ashame to take a trophy animal with a cross bow and not be recognized for it. P&Y requirements: http://www.pope-young.org/bowhunting_clubposition.asp

Will be interesting to see what happens down the road.  As more states fall to full inclusion and crossbow users out number vertical users, P&Y willl be hurting for entries.

Hurting for entries ?? A record is a record regardless . As far as hurting maybe less with a compound but I doubt it. Can you name any P&Y record holders that made the "switch" ?
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3508
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/17 19:25:24 (permalink)
Hurting for entries ?? A record is a record regardless .

I assume P&Y charges a fee to enter a buck into their records?  If crossbows are not allowed, and less deer are killed with compounds, the number of entries(dollars) is gonna decrease.

Also, as crossbow use surges and compound/traditional drops, I would bet that there are gonna be less archers that want to join a club that doesn't recognize their weapon as archery equipment.
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/17 19:31:14

My rifle is a black rifle
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/17 20:11:35 (permalink)

I assume P&Y charges a fee to enter a buck into their records?  If crossbows are not allowed, and less deer are killed with compounds, the number of entries(dollars) is gonna decrease.

Also, as crossbow use surges and compound/traditional drops, I would bet that there are gonna be less archers that want to join a club that doesn't recognize their weapon as archery equipment.

P&Y has 3 types of memberships. Which are you refereing to ? Depending on what membership you must first kill a record animal before joining and not with a crossbow. That gets you in the book.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/17 20:14:37 (permalink)
P & Y will not be hurting for entries because the of the minimum.  Why you think it's 125" ? 

Off that topic, there are alot of people that think the min should be 150".   That'll never happen because of money from entries.   Is a 125" really a "record" ?  Belonging in a book ?   Some places maybe.

We'll see sunday hunting and a 4 month bow season in 10 years probably.   Doubt you'd see P & Y changing their definition of hand drawn in the presence of game in that time frame.  You may not see it in 20 or more.   Perhaps not in your lifetime.  You'll see lighted nocks and shooting them in water being accepted long before crossbows.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/17 20:26:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

P & Y will not be hurting for entries because the of the minimum.  Why you think it's 125" ? 

125 makes it relatively hard to get in their book.  Less folks using compounds will mean less possible entries. 

We'll see sunday hunting and a 4 month bow season in 10 years probably.   Doubt you'd see P & Y changing their definition of hand drawn in the presence of game in that time frame.  You may not see it in 20 or more.   Perhaps not in your lifetime.  You'll see lighted nocks and shooting them in water being accepted long before crossbows.

Time will tell.  I don't expect it any time soon.  Maybe not in my lifetime. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/17 20:27:46 (permalink)
Anyone else get Petersen's Hunting?

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/17 20:41:02 (permalink)
Crossbow kills should be recognized but with their own catagory IMO.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/18 00:02:44 (permalink)

Anyone else get Petersen's Hunting?

No, Peterson's bow hunting mag had too many x-bow advertisements. I understand it's a little better now since they came out with their own Crossbow Hunting Magazine. I don't read their plain hunting magazine either. They claim to be experts on too many things IMO . Don't they have a 4X4 truck, hot rod, bikes, and guns (to name a few) magazines also ? Why do you ask ?
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/10/18 00:07:48
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/18 07:35:17 (permalink)

They claim to be experts on too many things IMO . Don't they have a 4X4 truck, hot rod, bikes, and guns (to name a few) magazines also ? Why do you ask ?

I would agree.  The thing with crossbows is that we now have established magazines jumping on the crossbow bandwagon with their gun writers and long term compound users doing crossbow reviews.  I have seen many instances of questionable information on performance and operating mechanics that would be prevented by having real crossbow enthusiasts doing the writing and reviewing. 

There have been many folks in the trenches promoting and hunting with crossbows for a long time waiting for this point in time. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/18 07:41:53

bronzeback2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/18 15:15:07 (permalink)

While I'll agree that a lot of compound users might make the switch don't see traditional guys flocking over only way I'd switch is if an injury or health prevented me from shooting, guess its just that I feel archery is a sport that puts me in touch with the way it was, something about drawing the bow and feeling the string touch my face while being upclose and personal with the animal and then there is something magical about the flight of the arrow that I enjoy, guess its kinda a personal choice along the lines of the way some enjoy flyfishing, just gives me a better sense of accomplishment I guess, don't get me wrong to each his own but can't see a lot of stickshooters going to the x-bow.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to: