Does this bother you?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/11 21:24:25 (permalink)
True.  Performance is very comparable, but perceived performance is much greater for the x-guns based on my personal experiences.

The shooting procedure is the same as it is for a rifle though, which was always my main beef with them.

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/11 21:50:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ridgehunter

I'll bet that there is less wounded, injured and maimed deer shot with a crossbow annually than there is with a compound.  Many compound bowhunters aren't as skilled as they think.

I think I would probably disagree with your statement. While both probably shoot before going a field, the cross bow hunter is more likely to site in and then hunt the rest of the season. Myself like many other compound users practice before and during the season. Also many compound users don't stop there. They shoot winter leagues and summer 3D's as well. Just something for you to think about.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/11 21:58:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

True.  Performance is very comparable, but perceived performance is much greater for the x-guns based on my personal experiences.

The shooting procedure is the same as it is for a rifle though, which was always my main beef with them.

Then consider that some crossbow hunters use a rest. One can hold on their target forever until they decide to pull the trigger. Biggest problem is noise with a crossbow even at over 325 FPS an animal can jump the string as many crossbow hunters fail to realize. They sighted in and 50 or 60 and saw a guy on the Outdoor Channel do it so they think it's OK. Not all, but probably more than I care to count.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/11 23:46:49 (permalink)
Noplace...We can only adapt so much. There is only so much land open to public or to my permission. So I can only adapt so far, before I am encroaching on another hunter, or posted property. Beyond those boundaries we end up having to travel until it is dark and don't get to hunt at all. This is not pre Columbian america where we can just move to any new spot we want. I work hard for my permission, I work hard scouting all year and I get mad that it can be ruined by idiots who would not be there if it were not for inclusion. Adapt is good in theory, but not so much in practice.

Ridgehunter... They did not directly interfere with that hunt, but they certainly educated the deer that the wind was blowing directly to, which are deer that I may have hunted next week. Not that I have any right to reserve spots, but it would be nice to hunt and not have to over come the mistakes of bumbling bucket sitters who would not be there if it were not for inclusion.

Additionally I hunt about equally each season with my Hoyt compound and my Black Widow Recurve. Between here and WVA, I shoot about 75% of my deer with the compound and 25% with the recurve.

Doc....As I said I love x=guns for the kids, but under the way the law was written "Physically unable or disabled so as not to be able to draw the minimum weight" I am certain that the kids would have qualified anyway as the mentored program kicked in.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/12 07:49:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Then consider that some crossbow hunters use a rest. One can hold on their target forever until they decide to pull the trigger. Biggest problem is noise with a crossbow even at over 325 FPS an animal can jump the string as many crossbow hunters fail to realize. They sighted in and 50 or 60 and saw a guy on the Outdoor Channel do it so they think it's OK. Not all, but probably more than I care to count.

Saw craig morgan (country singer) shoot an antlelope at 96 yards with one. The arrow hit the ground first them bounced up and stuck in the animal. Big celebration.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/12 07:56:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Saw craig morgan (country singer) shoot an antlelope at 96 yards with one. The arrow hit the ground first them bounced up and stuck in the animal. Big celebration.

Yep.  Pathetic display.  Did you see the Drury boys try to shoot a antelope with a PSE TAC crossbow at 102 yards in a crosswind that had the prairie grass sideways?  Needless to say, the arrow landed nowhere near the antelope.  Both of those shows heard about it from me.  Course I never got a response. 

How about Tred Barta shooting running game with his longbow at 40 yards?  Seems he is happy when he hits something in the guts.  Watched him shoot a bull elk at a waterhole with his longbow and a flint head.  Hit the bull in the guts and the arrow looked like it penetrated 4 inches. Dead bull somewhere, bad publicity for bowhunting. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/12 07:59:07

My rifle is a black rifle
bronzeback2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/12 08:35:07 (permalink)
I can relate to what musky master is saying but since I hunt with a recurve and since reading sign and scouting to get close enough for traditional gear is probably the thing I enjoy most about bow season I guess I'm biased,think lots of guys who aren't as fortunate to have the time I do to practice and scout go the x-bow route since it ups their odds somewhat, two neighbors who consider themselves hunters kinda bother me one with x-bow other with c-pound, they bragged to me about not needing to practice(guy with compound said he only shot once) well they turned out to be last minute evening edge of cornfield hunters who wounded a doe right ahead of incoming rainstorm and then showed up at door to ask me if I'd help track at 900-pm. only reason I went was I felt I owed it to the deer, blood trail was pretty well washed away and they weren't real enthused about staying with the search, I ended up soaked and mad asked the compound guy about shot and he said he wasn't sure about the hit but thought it was low since it was 40 plus yards at last shooting light, looked next day myself checked creek bottom and every piece of thick cover I could find nada, so I guess yea some guys bother me and think that the crossbow while it does have it uses(letting older, younger, and disabled continue to hunt)also lets more guys who are too lazy to practice and put time into woodsmanship and want a quick easy fix into the sport.
Fishtamer
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/12 12:48:30 (permalink)
For those who say a crossbow is a bow mounted on a gun stock, YOU ARE WRONG? A gun is actually a cannon mounted on a crossbow stock. Crossbows have been around way longer than guns. As for compound bow users, why are the scores at national shooting competitions almost always higher with bows, not crossbows? Just wondering. It seems you don't like buckets, maybe. Would lawn chairs be better? I don't take a bucket hunting either, by the way.
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/12 15:37:30 (permalink)
MM, I disagree with you. I had to adapt if I wanted to hunt at all. I grew up in Erie and hunted around Erie my whole life. In 1993 I moved to Central Pa.(gov't employment) I had NO friends or family members living nearby. Don't you think I still wished I could hunt in areas around Erie? Well guess what I was 4 hours from Erie. What did I do. I went out and found(asked,drove around,walked, G.L.s) places to hunt. No it was not easy. Here it is 17 years later and guess what I still kill deer way outside of my "home range". I still gain and lose hunting areas. If I didn't adapt to the times I would have been done hunting years ago. Is it easy NO but if you put the effort in to it YOU WILL BE REWARDED. At one time I had access to hundreds of acres, today I have G.L.s or a measly 25 acres of land 10 minutes from my house I have to share with the landowners 2 nephews. You either want to hunt or you don't. I wish you the best of luck.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/12 21:23:26 (permalink)
Please don't preach to the choir about effort. VERY few hunters I know work harder than me at access scouting practice and time afield. Not that there aren't guys on here that don't , but I would put my work ethic up against anyone afield.

I hunted the Lock Haven, State College area for many years. I had no access / Hunter Interference problems there. Here it is different. We live in a rural farming area. Lots of crops seperated by small woodlots. There are NO woodlots that don't have hunters in them or are not posted with no permission given to anyone. It was not that way here 20 years ago, but archery has really taken off in the past 20 years. The inclusion of x-guns has severley compounded the problem here.

I am pretty sure that if I did not want to hunt I would not be on here complaining about the people that only do it now because it is easy. I can not tolerate lazieness in a person and when it interferes with the pastime that I work so hard at, it scorches my hind end. Congrats to you and your adapted game plan it sounds like a blast. Bet it was not as difficult before inclusion.

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 00:26:48 (permalink)
Here is something that I was surprised to here this evening. The GF has used a X-bow the last couple of years hunting after selling her dated compound. Well tonight she decided to go buy another compound. She decided on a Hoyt Vicxen. She got a good deal because the dealer is no longer going to sell compounds. He told her he sells 40 x-bows for every compound. He also told her that it takes less skill and less time to learn and shoot a x-bow making it ever so popular for the novice archer. Another big long time dealer near Cranberry Twp has also closed up after 40 some years in business do to the popularity of x-bows. He can't compete with large retail stores when all that is required is to bolt a x-bow together and sight it in like a gun. Everybody likes something different but archery is changing. You tell me, for the better or the worst?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 04:27:56 (permalink)
Better....

I can remember reading about all the archery shops that sold longbows and recurves losing business.. closing or having to sell those gosh dang compounds that would kill the sport of archery hunting forever .. more kills, more wounded deer, shorter seasons all because guys were to lazy to learn to shoot and practice using longbows and recurves... they were lazy and compounds are so much easier to use.... the sport would be ruined,

BUT the archery shops were changing with the times they saw the MONEY to be made... and selling 40 compounds to everyone recurve/longbow.. today we see the same thing....

not a bad thing in my opinion ===

BUT it's no secret I loved my days with my Fred Bear Whitetail Compound.. but I have changed and love my new Horton Crossbow and harvested a deer with it the first year I used it.. just like I did when I first used a compound...

It's still a changing world == some adapt/change, some don't desire to, some quit, and many just like to complain....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/13 04:29:47
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 05:26:07 (permalink)
It's typical of todays world. Most people like things as easy as posible and hunting is no exception. Compounds made deer hunting easier than long bows and crossguns made deer hunting so easy a five or six year old can be successful at it. Love those hero shots with a kid so small he's not even strong enough to carry the crossbow himself.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 05:42:09 (permalink)
Love those hero shots with a kid so small he's not even strong enough to carry the crossbow himself.

If.. as a result ... of that successful hunt a life-long hunter has been created what's so bad about that.. after all youth are the future of our sport.... who cares who carried the weapon... IN FACT for mentored hunts ( your mentioned 5 or 6 year old) the adult HAS TO CARRY THE WEAPON....

no meant as a put-down or insult == BUT ===I can't believe how negative you are on so many hunting subjects.. ?????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/13 05:43:44
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 06:03:46 (permalink)
As usual you ignore the point I was making. How hard can it be to use one when first graders can do it. hunting is supposed to be a sport pitting man against animal not shooting a cow grazing in a pasture. I actually thought you agreed that we have lost a lot of what hunting was about.
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 06:07:09 (permalink)
(((Another big long time dealer near Cranberry Twp has also closed up after 40 some years in business do to the popularity of x-bows. He can't compete with large retail stores when all that is required is to bolt a x-bow together and sight it in like a gun.)))) OA If you are talking about C&M The reason Larry is closing is not BECAUSE OF X-BOWS AND RETAIL STORES. Larry is closing Do the the fact that is ready to retire. C&M Does plenty of business EVER TRY TO GET ARROWS ANY TIME NEAR SEASON?????? Dave
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 06:24:07 (permalink)
I actually thought you agreed that we have lost a lot of what hunting was about.

I do .. I do... hunting is no where near what it was when we grew up LOVING it... but it was what it was.... it was the only game in town ...

just like playing sand-lot pick-up games of whiffle ball of stick ball in the streets all day long in summer .. folks tell me it's hard as hell to even get their kids to even go outside to play anything now...

I have said it before and I'll say it again.. even though I can not believe I am saying it...

If I were say 12 NOW and had the cell phones, texting, computer games WII etc, direct TV, Ipods, etc, etc... and I can get alot of this on a hand-held cell phone !!!!

I'm not so sure my Uncle or Dad would have got me out in the rain, snow, heat, winds, bugs, all that walking,etc, etc...just to shoot some animal or catch a stupid fish....

so ANY changes that would help get or keep folks hunting and fishing is okay in my book....

I'd rather see a youngster carrying a crossbow who does not have the desire or time to get as expert as needed with a compound out in the woods, or shooting an in-line rather than a flintlock...

maybe using a closed face reel rather than learn to fly fish...

I want to see them out there so the sports of hunting and fishing continue for decades...

The old traditions of hunting are a thing of the past... remember many say you can never go back... and I believe that we have lost alot of the "old ways" but there certainly is nothing wrong with what is out there to enjoy today if one just gets the "interest " in getting out there to see it for themselves....
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 07:52:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Love those hero shots with a kid so small he's not even strong enough to carry the crossbow himself.

I love them too.  For the right reasons.......

If it helps to make you look at things just a tad more positive, Ohio stats show that kids that start out with crossbows at a very early age, move to compounds in their late teens. It was a interesting template to look at.  It was floating around during the crossbow wars.  Sort of a recruitment tool for both hunting and compounds. Good thing is some of these kids may have gotten pulled away from hunting without the crossbow getting them in the woods.  

Now I will wait for your negative spin on that.
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/13 09:05:47

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 08:01:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

You tell me, for the better or the worst?

In the late eighties, we had close to 320,000 archers.  Today with archery license sales already plateauing after crossbow inclusion we sell about 290,000.  Participation is up, archery harvest up a tad, more kids hunting, older folks back in the game, folks enjoying their time in the woods and continuing to buy a hunting license.  Looks good to me, overall.  Some negative stuff but that will never be eliminated.

Down the road when license sales continue to fall overall, we will again be looking at ways to get folks hunting.  Archery is gonna be mid September till the end of January statewide in the future. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/13 08:13:46

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 08:08:58 (permalink)

How hard can it be to use one when first graders can do it. hunting is supposed to be a sport pitting man against animal not shooting a cow grazing in a pasture.

Maybe some luck involved?  Maybe some extensive time in the woods by the mentor scouting and putting the kid in the perfect spot?  Maybe? Or is it always the super weapon that you despise?

I have hunted I believe 12 days thus far of our archery season.  Am averaging 2-4 deer per outing with some of those in range. Saw 11 on my best day. I don't hunt fields so all of these have been within 80 yards.  I have zero deer on the ground. 

I am either a very bad hunter or maybe archery hunting, even with a crossbow, is not like shooting a cow grazing in a pasture. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/13 08:10:50

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 08:46:24 (permalink)
Sad part is many of those mentors come from Doc and RSBs Goon, Thug, Poacher, not good guy ranks that they tell us about all the time.

There should be a lower age limit. In my opinion 5-6 years old is not old enough to understand the safety aspects of the whole hunting thing..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 09:02:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

There should be a lower age limit. In my opinion 5-6 years old is not old enough to understand the safety aspects of the whole hunting thing..

That is young.  Personally, I have not heard or seen any under 7 but I am sure they are out there.  I guess if the mentor feels the kid is ready, and follows the rules of the mentored hunt, all should be well.
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/13 09:39:43

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 10:16:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

Archery is gonna be mid September till the end of January statewide in the future. 

As it is in every other state. Archery comes in and never goes out. Not a bad thing, and it will not really affect the harvest totals.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 10:48:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

ORIGINAL: dpms

Archery is gonna be mid September till the end of January statewide in the future. 

As it is in every other state. Archery comes in and never goes out. Not a bad thing, and it will not really affect the harvest totals.

It may not affect the harvest totals, but since hunting is not a catch and release sport it does affect the number of deer that are available to other non-archery hunters, who just happen to be the majority of hunters in PA, that get to hunt what is left over.

Again, its not an archery vs. firearms thing, it is simply that the majority gets seconds now and what you are proposing means there will be even less of those seconds for those footing the largest license inflow stream for the PGC budget in the future.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 11:00:10 (permalink)
Ohio stats show that kids that start out with crossbows at a very early age, move to compounds in their late teens. It was a interesting template to look at. It was floating around during the crossbow wars

You may choose to call it negative spin but here goes. Ohios hunter numbers and interest are increasing because of deer numbers just as ours are decreasing because of deer numbers. Ohios non resident numbers are increasing because of deer numbers while our non-resident numbers are decreasing because of deer numbers.

Giving a kid a crossbow and letting him sit in the cold and wet watching a tweety bird or trillium growing isn't going to keep him interested for long and our junior dropout number proves that.
Besides--I thought you guys didn't care what other states data showed. At least that's what you always tell me when I post it.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 11:32:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

Again, its not an archery vs. firearms thing, it is simply that the majority gets seconds now and what you are proposing means there will be even less of those seconds for those footing the largest license inflow stream for the PGC budget in the future.

I believe it is approaching a 43%/57% percent split at this point.  Firearms folks have much less of a majority than they used to and the truth of the matter is most archers join you in firearms seasons if they have tags to fill. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 11:33:56 (permalink)
Besides--I thought you guys didn't care what other states data showed. At least that's what you always tell me when I post it.

In regards to the crossbow?  I have always welcomed it here and from every other state that allows them. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 11:37:17 (permalink)

Giving a kid a crossbow and letting him sit in the cold and wet watching a tweety bird or trillium growing isn't going to keep him interested for long and our junior dropout number proves that.

So, you want to focus on those we lose, that may not have even started, not those we gain?  That would go for all of the mentored seasons.  Some kids that are participating will stay within our ranks.  Some will not.  But, if we gain some, without any negative affects, it is well worth focusing on the positives and not the negatives. 

S-10,

It seems very much that you are trying to intertwine two seperate approaches to hunter recruitment.  In your opinion, increasing the deer herd is the best way to recruit hunters to our sport.  Because of that, it seems you are unwilling to accept any other means as possibly helping.  I'm I wrong in that assumption?

Do I feel more deer would help?  The answer is yes.  That may come as a surprise, but I have been saying that our deer herd should be brought up a bit for some time in certain areas.  With that said, I am going to fully support any program that gets kids into the woods earlier or allows them to particpate in special seasons.  That will help as well.  As would HB1760.

Because a specific program for our youth doesn't bring up deer numbers as you wish, you criticize it and it's participants, the skill needed or suggesting that it cannot help recruitment in any way.  Just not good for our sport and accomplishes nothing more than hurting those that participate in them. The few deer that mentored hunters kill is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

Take the battle of increasing deer numbers to the folks that are in charge.  Don't take it to our youth and their mentors participating in these special seasons or the weapons they choose to use. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/10/13 12:26:19

mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 12:28:24 (permalink)
I went out and found(asked,drove around,walked, G.L.s) places to hunt. No it was not easy. Here it is 17 years later and guess what I still kill deer way outside of my "home range". I still gain and lose hunting areas. If I didn't adapt to the times I would have been done hunting years ago. Is it easy NO but if you put the effort in to it...

All due respect NPLH, that's not really adapting to a change in the hunting climate. That's a consequence of a voluntary decision you made.

I read these hunting forums far more than I post, because admittedly, you gents hunt far more than I do anymore. I try to get enthused about it, but it's a lot tougher after all that's happened over the past decade plus. But that's just me. The "positive/negative impacts, hidden agendas" debate is yours to carry on...I know how I feel, and I won't begrudge any person an intelligent, informed opinion...which, BTW, I admire so many of you for having. Forgive me if I drift a bit off topic, but for some reason, this thread topic really caught my eye, though, and when I read the opening post, I first thought, "well, so long as they were legal and ethical, nope...can't see anything wrong with what they did." Then as the thread got bigger, I got to pondering...

In that delta between my Dad's 12th birthday and my 12th birthday, much of the world had changed, but hunting was - with few material exceptions - the same. And that's what made the sport the traditional insitution it was to my family. Take off for a weekend of hunting, and the world could change around you all it wanted. You didn't have to deal with it until you arrived home on Sunday night. The tradition was the reward.

Examine that same time frame one generation later. The world has changed exponentially over the prior generation. And so has the sport, and I have to agree with those who feel that it has become less than it was. Traditions faded in response to changes to which we were told, "It is what it is, deal with it." Loss of traditions yielded loss of enthusiasms. So when my son had his 12th birthday, for as excited as we all were on his rite of passage into manhood, we just couldn't get past our own lack of enthusiasm. We still go out, we still put in the effort, but it isn't the same anymore.

I have to believe that the decline in what the tradition of hunting meant to people is what caused them to bail on the sport. Those who have hung in there and have struggled to preserve what fibers of their traditions they have left (and why shouldn't they?) are, IMHO, the types of people we want representing the sport. To the extent that they are successful in fostering a love, respect and ethical appreciation for the sport, we are simply that much farther ahead of the game. Those who feel the burden of staying true to tradition is too difficult (or simply impossible) and have left the sport have given way to more hunters of the "quicker, simpler, fill a tag and go home" variety. And as we continue to make it easier to harvest what game there is (again, I'm not debating populations with anyone), the tradition seems to fade even more.

Gotta get back to work, but here's my punchline: "Adapt or go home" works really well when you're talking about death, and taxes, and the electronic age. But the world has become a very impatient place to live and has become populated by people with Napoleonic complexes: They want what they want, and they want it now. Everyone who participates - not just the winners - gets a trophy. The consequences brought about by the change in the fabric of this sport has made it easy for that mindset to take root. And when you make it easier for the J.G. Wentworths of the world, you open the door for a characteristic of hunters that defy and further scrape away at what more than not of us hope the sport - and to be sure, the tradition of this sport - was supposed to represent.

Dang...did I really write all of that?!
post edited by mohawksyd - 2011/10/13 12:34:34

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Does this bother you? 2011/10/13 12:29:19 (permalink)
It seems very much that you are trying to intertwine two seperate approaches to hunter recruitment. In your opinion, increasing the deer herd is the best way to recruit hunters to our sport. Because of that, it seems you are unwilling to accept any other means as possibly helping. I'm I wrong in that assumption?

I am merely pointing out the facts of life and the facts show that with all the increased opportunities for the youth in the last decade or so their numbers are decreasing as the deer herd is decreasing. Their numbers were increasing up until about 2004-5 when the effects of herd reduction began to be felt. You can throw all the medicine you want at a symptom but until you treat the root cause of the problem you are wasting your time and the facts prove that. I also believe that 5 or 6 is too young to hunt and feel it is more a power trip for the parent than a thrill for the youth.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: