Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 15:56:55 (permalink)
Okay, a simple question.

For those of you that have posted that you are against Sunday hunting, if all the stars aligned and Sunday hunting came to PA, would you hunt on Sunday or not?

Why not? Heck Ive hunted other states and here for legal game species already on sundays. My concerns of sunday hunting dont have one thing to do with whether I do or dont kill a coyote or a buck on sunday. It also has nothing to do with contributing to what I see as the mismanagement which I oppose.

Yes. Id hunt then. Why wouldnt I? Just to make some ridiculous point in protest? lol. It would be legal wouldnt it? Would me not hunting buck with my bow prevent everyone else from shooting the additional does once its legalized which is exactly why im against it and what pgc is counting on? If you can show me how that could work, me not going at all, solving that problem as i see it, I will most certainly refrain. Also would MY not hunting prevent landowners from posting their lands?

Might be a bit contradictory for someone who was basing their opposition on religious grounds only then going hunting when legalized. But really how many would that include?

post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/22 16:08:16
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 15:59:02 (permalink)
" Hunting isn't always the case. Posted means to keep out for any reason"

I think it's the economy. Lots of stills, or modern day stills ( meth labs ) being fired up in them thar hills.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 16:32:30 (permalink)
Lets take 2F since its the only place DT hunts. This year the PGC has cut the number of days to hunt does with a rifle (regular firearms season) by 5. If Sunday hunting is approved the days will drop to 4. Do you believe that one extra day during rifle to hunt does is going to reduce the herd as some of you claim ? You people need to jump on the PGC azz for issuing so many tags and having in some areas 2 weeks to kill does.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 16:37:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

" Hunting isn't always the case. Posted means to keep out for any reason"

I think it's the economy. Lots of stills, or modern day stills ( meth labs ) being fired up in them thar hills.

Yayaya! Youd ferget abouts dat der weed growin on the back 40. Iz posted me land and noz all den dam deers are eating my crop. wa wa wa help me PGC !
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 16:52:35 (permalink)
Oa, according to the biologists at pgc, the units with split seasons are no different now goal wise than they were previously. They claimed the split season reduced the harvest by around 20% in their initial experiments, so the allocations were upped to account for it there and in the units that were split after that. So according to them, it doesnt matter if your unit is split or not if the goal is the same, they have adjusted the allocation. If a person feels their unit was overharvested prior to them going to a split season in that unit, then odds are, it still is.

As for the allocations, people have been jumping on pgc azz regularly for the far too high allocations and other stuff. Im sure many will continue to. Although they arent they best ones to complain to since they are used to tuning us out. Legislators are the ones to hound.

This year the PGC has cut the number of days to hunt does with a rifle (regular firearms season) by 5. If Sunday hunting is approved the days will drop to 4.

The allocations were not adjusted to account for another nonwork/noschool high harvest day during our highest harvest season. They were adjusted for the current season structure. And thats before we even talk about the likelihood of them being too high to begin with. And that also doesnt even take into account the other seasons in addition to.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/22 16:54:53
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 17:03:58 (permalink)
"The allocations were not adjusted to account for another nonwork/noschool high harvest day during our highest harvest season."

So you're suggesting that if allowed to hunt on sunday, hunters would be able find and harvest "high" numbers of deer? How could that be, when there's none left?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 17:25:18 (permalink)
Nonwork nonschool days are high harvest days. Thats COMPARATIVELY. That means high compared to midweek or other days of the season. Its pretty well established the highest harvest days of rifle season are the first 2 days for obvious reasons and saturdays. Again for obvious reasons. Sunday would be one as well, for those same reasons as saturdays.

As for no deer, I cant really speak on that as an authority, unless of course youd be kind enough to point out one of my 1811 posts where I ever said there were "no deer" and I'll concede your point. Till then you're gonna need a bigger stirring spoon.

I also hardly think there has to be "no deer" before anyone has a legitimate complaint with the mismanagement that is occurring.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/22 17:27:18
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 18:22:13 (permalink)
Do you believe that one extra day during rifle to hunt does is going to reduce the herd as some of you claim ?

I never referred to just one extra day... the season ends NOW on a Saturday because Sundays are illegal, what's to say if Sundays become legal the last day of rifle will not be that Sunday... and the first Sunday ...and maybe started the Sunday before traditional Monday... there's 3 ..

Plus I never said anything about Sunday hunting for just rifle... nor just hunting does.. buck harvests will increase too with an extra non-work day or several ...added to the seasons

small game harvest, I feel, will not increase very much.. there are alot less small game hunters now than in the past... and we all know there is less small game to hunt.... remember .. LACK OF GAME equals hunters quiting or not hunting any more...

Bears = an extra Sunday will increase the harvest but again not very much becuase the number of bear hunters is FAR LESS than deer hunters...

Turkeys = increase but again not as many hunt turkeys as deer..

As we keep saying it is NOT about those species.. It's about Sunday deer hunting....

How much has the coyote harvest increased because of Sundays ....
Coyote hunts have ALWAYS included a Sunday since it became legal...

add 6 weeks of archery, maybe a Sunday for junior and seniors in October, possible 2-3 in rifle season and how many in the post Xmas seasons ... yep all those extra Sundays will increase harvests of bucks and does...

It is in NO WAY just about one Sunday in rifle... archers would have a fit if they could not hunt on a Sunday and rifle hunters could .... small game hunters would add there complaints.. then turkey hunters, then bear hunters.. so result will be == open Sundays for all species.. that's what it is all about anyhow !!!!!!

As for OA's question about the difference in charging a fee to hunt a property and a lease...

here's why I feel they are different..........

charging an access fee.. the land owner can charge as many hunters as he wants to make money from and allow them access .. 1,000 guys at $50.00 bucks a piece for example... the guy paying has NO say on the number of hunters on that land at any given time... he just pays the price and hunts if he so chooses.

any lease that I am aware of is as follows.. the landowner "gives up" the right to give permission to hunt on that parcel of land.. the person holding the lease now controls who hunts there... and thus controls the number of hunters on the parcel... and all persons on the lease know the maxium number of hunters that could be there at any given time..

big difference IMHO........
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/22 18:28:36
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 18:48:08 (permalink)
As for OA's question about the difference in charging a fee to hunt a property and a lease...

here's why I feel they are different..........

charging an access fee.. the land owner can charge as many hunters as he wants to make money from and allow them access .. 1,000 guys at $50.00 bucks a piece for example... the guy paying has NO say on the number of hunters on that land at any given time... he just pays the price and hunts if he so chooses.

any lease that I am aware of is as follows.. the landowner "gives up" the right to give permission to hunt on that parcel of land.. the person holding the lease now controls who hunts there... and thus controls the number of hunters on the parcel... and all persons on the lease know the maxium number of hunters that could be there at any given time..

No Differance !! The person that holds the lease can grant anyone at anytime permission to hunt, fee or no fee. It would also depend if the one holding the lease prepares a contract and has it legalized. Many don't. Just rember the golden rule, those who hold the gold make the rules.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 19:21:01 (permalink)

doubled this post ..sorry

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/22 19:24:23
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/22 19:23:53 (permalink)

How does one so this ????

prepares a contract and has it legalized

A legal contract is = an agreement with specific terms between two or more persons or entities in which there is a promise to do something in return for a valuable benefit known as consideration.

Anyone that would pay for a lease and not have a legal signed contract between the landowner an that person is just asking to have his money thrown away........

if you see them as the same so be it ...

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/23 09:45:18 (permalink)
How can no one see how simple the access issue is?  I hunt in Ohio, I hunt some property that allows Sunday hunting, and some that doesn't.  That is the land owners choice, and I will be d@mned if I would do something to make it so I couldn't hunt there the other 6 days a week.  Most landowners are not going to go off half c0cked, and shut down there land so that no one is ever allowed to hunt there again.  that is rediculous. Heck, most farmers hate deer with a passion anyway.
post edited by tippecanoe - 2011/09/23 10:30:32
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/23 10:24:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

How can no one see how simple the access issue is?  I hunt in Ohio, I hunt some property that allows Sunday hunting, and some that doesn't.  That is the land owners choice, and I will be d@mned if I would do something to make it so I couldn't hunt there the other 6 days a week.  Most landowners are going to go off half c0cked, and shut down there land so that no one is ever allowed to hunt there again.  that is rediculous. Heck, most farmers hate deer with a passion anyway.

Exactly. Just political BS farmers shutting all land down due to Sunday hunting. A few maybe, so what.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/23 10:52:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Exactly. Just political BS farmers shutting all land down due to Sunday hunting. A few maybe, so what.

While I do not want to see any land shut off, I do believe what we are seeing, for the most part, are threats to try to bolster a position.  As far as the PFB is concerned, threatening to close down land as a organized group is a direct contradiction to past positions. 

There are also landowners not connected with the PFB making the same assertions.  I haven't found one yet but I know that they exist.  I would hope that if HB1760 passes, land isn't shut down before a Sunday is actually added to the season or seasons that concern them. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/09/23 10:54:39

My rifle is a black rifle
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/27 02:22:52 (permalink)
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/10/24 12:34:15 (permalink)
Report States Sunday Hunting in Pa. May Generate $804M October 20, 2011 By Larry Keane No Comments

inShare
  • Email

• Email According to a bipartisan legislative study released yesterday, Pennsylvania will generate up to $804 million in economic activity by allowing Sunday hunting.  Southwick Associates, who conducted the study, found that allowing Sunday hunting would create approximately 7,500 jobs while bringing in nearly $57 million in state and local taxes and producing $460 million in retail sales. These statistics match-up closely with an economic impact report released by the Sunday hunting coalition earlier this year. To learn more, visit the Sunday Hunting Website.

• bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/10/24 12:36:47 (permalink)
    Doc will tell ya that's BS.
    Says they will be spending money wether they are hunting or not...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/10/24 12:37:47 (permalink)
    Act Now to End Sunday Hunting Prohibition in Pennsylvania October 20, 2011 By Larry Keane No Comments

• 16Share
    inShare

• Email

• Share16

• Email The Pennsylvania House Game and Fisheries Committee will hold its third and final public hearing on Thursday, Oct. 27, beginning at 9 a.m. in Room 140 of the Main Capitol Building in Harrisburg, Pa. This will be the last opportunity for Sunday hunting advocates to make their voices heard.
    In advance of this hearing, the Sunday hunting coalition (including the National Shooting Sports Foundation, National Rifle Association, Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation, Archery Trade Association, Bass Pro Shops, Boone and Crockett Club, Cabela’s, Delta Waterfowl, Mule Deer Foundation, National Assembly of Sportsmen’s Caucuses, Pheasants Forever, Quail Forever, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Safari Club International, U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and the Wildlife Management Institute) is encouraging all sportsmen to contact members of the House Game and Fisheries Committee and urge them to repeal the ban on Sunday hunting. The ban on Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania was enacted centuries ago, and to date, Pennsylvania is one of only 11 states that still choose to restrict this American pastime.
    In recent years, however, calls for lifting this ban have been steadily rising. After all, you work hard to provide for your family, and if you’re like most of us, finding time to go afield is increasingly challenging these days.
    Sportsmen have begun to realize that while they can fish, sit back and cheer their favorite team or watch their children or grandchildren play sports, come Sunday, they still cannot hunt – not even on their own property. Repealing the Sunday hunting ban is about individual freedom and the right to pass along our heritage to the next generation. As more and more adults hang up their fishing rods, rifles and boots, fewer and fewer young people are picking them up.
    This is bad for our economy, wildlife management and, most certainly, our children.
    By allowing Sunday hunting though, we will effectively be doubling the opportunity for America’s youth to take to the field. Of course, the benefits of Sunday hunting extend well beyond securing our heritage as sportsmen.
  •  Additional hunting days in Pennsylvania will result in:
    • An estimated 8,190 new Pennsylvania jobs, paying more than $245 million in wages
    • Approximately $765 million in additional economic activity to the state
    • Attracting new hunters and increasing the value of hunting licenses for existing hunters
    Please take a few minutes to contact members of the Pennsylvania House Game and Fisheries Committee today.

• Learn more about Sunday Hunting by visiting: www.sundayhunting.org
  • post edited by pghmarty - 2011/10/24 12:38:24

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
    Jump to: