Strike Indicator of No Strike Indicator???

Author
5RingsBL
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/25 23:34:33 (permalink)

Strike Indicator of No Strike Indicator???

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with what kind of water you're fishing but I recently came to the conclusion that I control my dead drift so much better with no strike-indicator.  The problem has been that I've been losing (or missing) a lot of fish.  I have been hooking up more, though. I basically follow my drift with my rod tip and when I see any disturbance or difference in the drift I set the hook.   I've just been losing so many. What's your guys opion?

4 Replies Related Threads

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Strike Indicator of No Strike Indicator??? 2007/11/26 11:51:14 (permalink)
    Try using a lighter indicator, like a yarn indicator for example, and try to keep as much fly line off the water as you can, it should give a better drift and you still got an indicator to watch.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    5RingsBL
    New Angler
    RE: Strike Indicator of No Strike Indicator??? 2007/11/26 12:02:38 (permalink)
    What I don't understand though is why I'm missing so many fish now, though.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Strike Indicator of No Strike Indicator??? 2007/11/26 13:10:45 (permalink)
    I nearly always use and indicator. Tight line nymphing puts you too close to the fish, and you end up often spooking them without knowing it. You also get a better drift with indicators, and can cover more water.
    mjh212
    New Angler
    RE: Strike Indicator of No Strike Indicator??? 2007/11/28 23:36:59 (permalink)
    I never use a strike indicator unless I am fishing Erie tribs.  I equate them with bobbers.  However, with the swift currents on the tribs I have decided that they are crucial after many years of testing different rigs.  First of all, yes I do catch fish in the pools, but I have the most success fishing the riffles right below big pools loaded with shoulder to shoulder anglers.  Put on a very boyant foam strike indicator 1.5 to 2 times the length of the weight to the fly, up the line from the weight. (length of line from weight to fly multiplied by 1.5 to 2)  You will have to adjust this basic equation depending upon the depth of water and the speed of the flow.  If you do not snag this rig very often then the indicator is too far away from the weight.  The best way to fish this rig in my opinion is to make many mends in no more that 20 yards of downstream water.  You make your initial cast, and then immediatly mend upstream.  Every time you see your indicator "stop" (the weight is snaged on the bottom), you mend the slack line upstream so that the indicator dead drifts for a few yards.  Do this several times per cast and you will be succesful.  The key is to keep your egg pattern just above the bottom of the stream, bouncing along as if it were a natural fish egg.  
    post edited by mjh212 - 2007/11/28 23:56:53
    Jump to: