New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 10:47:39 (permalink)
Amen.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 10:48:01 (permalink)
The folks in New orleans might disagree with the Drakes feeling that registration cannot lead to confiscation because if not for the NRA and others that is just what was happening after Katrina. Years ago the gun registry was used to confisciate hand guns in Ohio. I think it was a city ordinance---maybe someone from Ohio can remember the particulars.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 12:00:07 (permalink)
Let me highlight this from what I wrote above Trout.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.  I guess there's a bunch of different ways to look at this, but if one wants to minimize crime with guns, keep the who commit them, in the cell longer.  But .. then again, that'll cost too.  Hell.. throw 'em in the deer pits with the roadkills. 

How many times do we hear about someone who was put in jail for weaponary, get out and do the same thing?  Well me.. I hear it all the time.  My uncle is the head of the central PA drug task force.  There is an alarming correlation between heavy drugs, stolen property, and guns.  If they get busted for drugs .. KEEP THEM off the streets.  Get that law changed!!!!  Be stricter on the people who cause the problem not what they caused the problem with!!!

I see nothing wrong with getting a gun registered but every year?  There are more effective ways to minimize crime than a law that takes away a right law-abiding citizens.  That yearly registration, fingerprinting, etc... would cost astronomically to implement.

There is some logic to both sides (one clearly more than the other) but this practially seems geared toward gun control for the purpose of gun control.  It seems very extreme, and not particularly well thought out.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.  Target the problem, not the weapon.

Sometimes you folks get so lost in what you are reading, that you fail to even see the point being made and that it's not anti-gun supporting comments that are being made, but merely a different perspective.  One that you seem to NOT handle very well.  Please get off your 2nd amendment kick.  You **** well know we support that.

There is no middle here either .. you support it or you don't.  Politics and rational explanation exist in two different worlds.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 12:41:17 (permalink)

There is no middle here either .. you support it or you don't. 
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 19:19:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Pheasant Hunter

OK, you claim that you don't want this bill to pass, yet you claim to support gun registration. Enlighten us... what are valid reasons and a method for gun registration, in your opinion?

Here are some reasons:

1. If your gun is stolen, the serial number etc. is listed with the government so that you can recover it, if found. This could help a lot of people with guns that have been inherited, since its possible that those guns will not have a reciept etc..

2. Crimes that are commited with a registered gun may be easier to solve, due to a "paper trail" that will allow the police, etc. to identify where the gun came from. Keep in mind that not all crimes are committed with illegal firearms.

3. If all the guns in the New Orleans case were registered, those people may have had and easier time getting them back. Maybe, if the guns were registered, the people effected wouldnt need to show a reciept to get them back. Also, before you put words in my mouth, I do not agree with what happened in New Orleans.

As far as a method of registration, I dont really have a good answer at this point. I'll think about it, and post later.

BTW, whats with all the bold type?
post edited by thedrake - 2007/04/13 19:51:00
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 19:46:26 (permalink)
sorry, clicked reply by mistake
post edited by thedrake - 2007/04/13 19:48:26
BlueMan89
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 19:49:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thedrake

Here are some reasons:

1. If your gun is stolen, the serial number etc. is listed with the government so that you can recover it, if found. This could help a lot of people with guns that have been inherited, since its possible that those guns will not have a reciept etc..

2. Crimes that are commited with a registered gun may be easier to solve, due to a "paper trail" that will allow the police, etc. to identify where the gun came from. Keep in mind that not all crimes are committed with illegal firearms.

I personally disagree with both of these. IMO registration would, in these cases, lead to the arrest of the gun owner, not recovery of the stolen gun. Especially if a crime is committed with said gun. They already try to hold the gun owner responsibly if a crime is committed with his gun, this would just make it easier for them.
post edited by BlueMan89 - 2007/04/13 19:50:47

"Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't , You're Right "- Henry Ford
Pheasant Hunter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 21:56:06 (permalink)

Here are some reasons:

2. Crimes that are commited with a registered gun may be easier to solve, due to a "paper trail" that will allow the police, etc. to identify where the gun came from. Keep in mind that not all crimes are committed with illegal firearms.

3. If all the guns in the New Orleans case were registered, those people may have had and easier time getting them back. Maybe, if the guns were registered, the people effected wouldnt need to show a reciept to get them back. Also, before you put words in my mouth, I do not agree with what happened in New Orleans.

As far as a method of registration, I dont really have a good answer at this point. I'll think about it, and post later.

1. Why do I need the government to keep track of my serial #'s, makes, models, etc.? I'm perfectly capable, as I'm sure others are, of recording this information on paper and digitally, along with pictures. I also believe that the vast majority of gun owners are perfectly capable of reporting a theft of their firearms to the police.
2. A paper trail? The majority of guns used in crimes are stolen or untraceable. Besides, if the police retrieve a gun that was abandoned at the scene of a crime, there is a very strong likelihood that there is plenty of other evidence. I agree with BlueMan89 - this information is more likely to give the police a scapegoat, rather than a legitimate suspect.
3. The guns in the New Orleans case were ILLEGALLY confiscated (actually stolen at gunpoint, in some cases) - their constitutional rights were violated by law enforcement. Everyone who participated in the confiscation (or at least those who ordered it), should go to prison, just like any other criminal.

The bold type is so people don't have to squint to read it.

Visit my website, featuring outdoors and recreation in Warren County, Pennsylvania: http://warrenpa.ws
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 22:19:45 (permalink)

Sorry, I know this is the Lake Erie Fishing Board, but this needs to be seen. HB 760 (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2007&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0760&pn=0881) is in the Pa. House Judiciary Committee. This bill calls for MANDATORY REGISTRATION OF ALL FIREARMS IN PENNSYLVANIA.  You will pay $10 PER GUN PER YEAR!!! If you do not comply or if there is a problem with your paperwork, YOUR GUNS WILL BE CONFISCATED, and you will face fines and jail time!!!
     Representative Sam Rohrer is waging a campaign to stop this bill in committee. I have added a link to his petition on my website - http://warrenpa.ws Please sign the petition and make a difference, because once they get their foot in the door, there's no turning back.
     I am personally printing business-size cards, flyers, and paper copies of the petition and distributing them around Warren County. If anyone out there would like to help, contact me through my website, and I'll email you the files to print your own.
Thanks,
Buster

Pheasant hunter,

Nice job using this forum to advertise your own website. Hopefully, it will get you some new viewers, just as you intended.

post edited by thedrake - 2007/04/13 22:23:11
Pheasant Hunter
New Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/13 22:57:31 (permalink)
     Nice try at a cheap shot, but I already have plenty of viewers from all over the U.S. and around the world, because I advertise... locally, nationally, and internationally. Fortunately, having a website, with a large audience, makes it easy to get the word out, before something like this is stuffed down our throats, with no warning... and just remember, it is just that... MY website - I pay all the expenses for it out of my own pocket. I do the leg-work, take the photos (except for a few that were submitted by friends and viewers), and write the content, because I am fortunate enough to live in a beautiful area, that I enjoy sharing with others.
     This gun control bill is something I feel very strongly about, as do many others. Sadly, there are people, like you, that sit on the fence, and teeter whichever way the wind blows strongest... people that never really commit to anything, but just exist, for the sake of existing, while taking the path of least resistance.
    I'm sorry that you weren't able to come up with an intelligent reply to my last post.

Visit my website, featuring outdoors and recreation in Warren County, Pennsylvania: http://warrenpa.ws
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/14 19:46:08 (permalink)

Here are some reasons:

1. Why do I need the government to keep track of my serial #'s, makes, models, etc.? I'm perfectly capable, as I'm sure others are, of recording this information on paper and digitally, along with pictures. I also believe that the vast majority of gun owners are perfectly capable of reporting a theft of their firearms to the police.
2. A paper trail? The majority of guns used in crimes are stolen or untraceable. Besides, if the police retrieve a gun that was abandoned at the scene of a crime, there is a very strong likelihood that there is plenty of other evidence. I agree with BlueMan89 - this information is more likely to give the police a scapegoat, rather than a legitimate suspect.
3. The guns in the New Orleans case were ILLEGALLY confiscated (actually stolen at gunpoint, in some cases) - their constitutional rights were violated by law enforcement. Everyone who participated in the confiscation (or at least those who ordered it), should go to prison, just like any other criminal.

The bold type is so people don't have to squint to read it.

So, in saying that the majority of gun crimes are committed with stolen or illegally purchased weapons, you are admitting that some are commited with legally owned guns. If only those few crimes were easier for the police to solve because of registration, isn't that a good thing?

I would bet there would be more than a few policemen offended by you and blueman thinking that the police are just looking for scapegoats to pin crimes on. The few policemen I know would never lose thier integrity and just look for a scapegoat. They also agree that there should be some form of registration.

Your arguing against me about the New Orleans situation is irrelevant. I did not at any point say that it was legal, or just. I agree it should not have happened, but if those guns were registered, shouldnt those people be able to recover them easier? I bet some of those that lost thier guns in New Orleans would have wished they were registered in some way, so they could prove ownership.

Pheasant Hunter
New Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/14 20:28:15 (permalink)
     Wow!!! I'm thinking that you must be really dense, or really bored and lonely. If you read back, you'll see that I readily admitted that legally-owned firearms are sometimes used in crimes. These are most often "crimes of passion." For example, you come home and find your wife in bed with your brother, something snaps, and boom... You've committed a crime with a legally-owned firearm!!! It wouldn't take much effort, for anyone of at least average intelligence, to figure out who did what. In comparison to the number of crimes committed with illegally-owned firearms, I'm sure the number is minute. 
     From the way you keep pounding on this issue, there must be a rash of abandoned firearms left at crime scenes, that you know about, and we don't... You know, just like in the movies... You run out of bullets and just throw down the gun and run away... Maybe that's where you're getting all your ideas.
     As far as policemen being offended, sorry, but that's a fact of life. There are thousands of cases that have been overturned, because the investigators didn't process all the evidence, or even omitted evidence, because it didn't point to their "suspect." I'm not saying this happens in every case, but it happens frequently enough.
     In New Orleans, many people, just like you and me, kept records of their firearms... make, model, caliber or gauge, serial number, and sometimes photos. If you had a list with most or all of this information, especially the serial number, it would be hard, if not impossible, to refute the claim of ownership. Unless, of course, these claimants are psychic and are able, somehow, to evision the make, model, and serial numbers on some of the confiscated firearms.
     So, once again, your arguments fall far short of offering a valid reason for gun registration... care to try again?

P.S. My website's still there.

thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/14 20:57:14 (permalink)

This gun control bill is something I feel very strongly about, as do many others. Sadly, there are people, like you, that sit on the fence, and teeter whichever way the wind blows strongest... people that never really commit to anything, but just exist, for the sake of existing, while taking the path of least resistance.

I do not teeter the way the wind blows strongest. I have felt the way I do now, for years. I believe that sometimes the most narrow minded thing you can do is completely agree with one side without ever questioning your own views. A lot of people do this when it comes to voting. I would bet that there are many people who would vote republican in every election, just because they feel strongly about the 2nd amendment, and not take into consideration, issues in our economy, terrorism, abortion, global warming etc... This kind of ignorance cant be good for our country.

I'd rather be a "thinker" and question ideas, such as gun control, then make a decision on my views, rather than screaming "2nd Amendment!", each time you get into an arguement over gun control. Unfortunatley, someday you may have to come up with other reasons to keep your guns than simply shouting "2nd amendment". There are plenty of people out there who simply dont accept the 2nd amendment as a good reason to allow gun ownership. As gun ownership is challenged more and more in the future, we, as gun owners will have to convince the public with good logical reasons why we should be allowed to keep our guns. Supporting laws involving things like background checks, trigger locks, etc.. may paint a better picture of us gun owners. Going against these ideas simply makes us gun owners look foolish. So when you think I'm just sitting on the fence not agreeing with your resistance of any gun restrictions, just consider that people like me will be the ones supporting common sense ideas, and helping gun owners look better in the publics eye.

I'm done with this conversation.
Pheasant Hunter
New Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/14 21:35:25 (permalink)
Off the deep end are we?
Just so you know, I vote Republican every election, and not just because of the 2nd Amendment, but because I agree with the same principles, across the board. Furthermore, I've stated that I agree 100% with background checks. It allows me to purchase a handgun, on the spot, rather than waiting, while denying criminals access to firearms. As for trigger locks, I don't need the government to tell me how to properly store my guns. Anyone that does need the government to instruct them on safe storage, probably shouldn't own a gun.
     Remember, the 2nd Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights... not something to be taken lightly. If they can repeal the 2nd Amendment, then they can repeal the other nine, because we will be powerless to stop them. In fact, the Constitution of the United States, itself, and our freedom would be in jeopardy, if the citizens were disarmed. We would be nothing but a flock of sheep, at the mercy of our master. Remember, freedom isn't free.
     If gun control is that important to you, there are lots of countries that offer it... feel free to move to one.

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/15 08:57:48 (permalink)
In California recently they used a back door approach to gun confiscation. First they classified certain guns as assult weapons and required them to be registered. Then they extended the time you had to register them. After the extended time had expired and the guns had been registred the courts decided there should not have been an extension and everyone who registred their gun during that extended period was a felon and should have their guns taken. The last I knew the NRA and others were trying to fight the policy. 
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/15 22:48:25 (permalink)
This bill carries the potential of around $50 million(or more) a year, every year, in fees and that would only be the beginning as everything increases over a few years. That cost is paid by the gun owners plus the ID costs and finger printing. Then somehow the state police is going to have to increase their ability to handle the paper work and enforce the law and follow up on missing/stolen guns. The Canadians tried something like this a few years ago and are still in the process of trying to dig out of the financial burden it created not to mention that it didn't work.

We cannot let this go unchallenged. Even if ever aspect seems like it will be defeated we must continue to put pressure on our Reps. until the issue dead.

This is actually a yearly tax punishing gun owners. If it passes, we have only ourselves to blame. Get off your duff and call, write or e-mail your Rep. Don't "assume" it will be taken care of.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
Pheasant Hunter
New Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/16 12:23:54 (permalink)
Thanks for taking initiative Wally Cat. If everyone that agrees with us on this would just make ONE phone call to their rep in Harrisburg, we'd send a pretty strong message and probably stop this bill in a hurry.

duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/16 18:17:28 (permalink)
Gentlemen:

Here is a quote that a co-worker has hanging in their cube that may be appropriate hereL

"Never argue with (insert name here).  It is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  After a while, you discover that they just enjoy it."

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Jim_R
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/17 13:48:48 (permalink)
I bet some of those that lost thier guns in New Orleans would have wished they were registered in some way, so they could prove ownership.

If they had been registered, the so-called authorities would have gotten ALL of them!
post edited by Jim_R - 2007/04/17 13:49:37

Jim_R

"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind."

"The angling fever is a very real disease and can only be cured by the application of cold water and fresh, untainted air."
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/18 12:17:43 (permalink)
Well said Dr Trout
Pheasant Hunter
New Angler
RE: New Gun Control Bill in Pennsylvania 2007/04/24 16:00:58 (permalink)
Received an update from Representative Sam Rohrer:

Dear Friend,

Thank you for your rapid response on House Bill 760. This historic response of more than 12,000 individuals who replied to my website petition is instrumental in bringing a halt to any consideration of this legislation in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives before it ever gets started. 
 The swiftness and volume of responses that came in to my office has gotten the attention of the national press, as I was interviewed by the Associated Press on this matter last week. I was also called upon to participate in an NRA Radio Program on this issue on Friday, April 20th. The provisions of House Bill 760 are, in my opinion, unconstitutional, impractical and simply outrageous. Without question, a requirement to register all firearms with the State Police, to submit to fingerprinting, to provide full home address and social security number or be guilty of a summary offense as House Bill 760 would require, is an example of the clear violation of the citizen's right to keep and bear arms. For any member to sponsor, cosponsor or support legislation that clearly infringes upon constitutionally identified and guaranteed rights raises a serious question as to whether this action violates the oath that Members took to defend and protect the citizen's rights as guaranteed in the Constitutions of the United States and of Pennsylvania. House Bill 760 would not only impose a violation of our constitutional rights through invasive government requirements, it would also tax our right to own firearms through a $10.00 tax to be levied every year on each firearm. On Wednesday, April 18, 2007, Representative Caltagirone, who is the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, was quoted in the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. In reference to the House Bill 760 moving out of Judiciary Committee, Representative Caltagirone said, "It's not going anywhere."   His decision has much to do with the responses from each and every one of you. However, we must remain vigilant. This issue, while addressed for the moment, is sure to be brought up again in other legislation. Although we may have won the immediate battle, the war continues. I may need to call upon you in the future should other such egregious legislation be introduced. I will make every attempt to keep you updated on other attacks on our Second Amendment rights that may come before the legislature. I want you to know that I will continue to work to protect your rights. Thank you for working with me on this front. 
Sincerely,Representative Sam Rohrer

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: