PA fishing license question

Author
nysteelieguy
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 149
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/13 13:05:23 (permalink)

PA fishing license question

Are you considered to be legal when fishing if you have a photocopy of you license displayed? I have seen many people with a white copy in the holder while along the streams.

And does it have to be purchased online to have multiple copies?

15 Replies Related Threads

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 14:06:25 (permalink)
    When you purchase it online it prints out white.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 14:12:08 (permalink)
    I believe that you need to display the "original" license.
    So I don't think a photocopy of a store bought license would be acceptable.

If you "misplace" your yellow license, they will replace it for a fee.

The white ones you see are probably internet licenses (printed on plain paper), and you should be able to print multiple copies that should be considered as the "original". (I think you can even save the file as a .pdf on your computer for future printing!)

It's been a while since I've bought one on the internet, but thought they indicated that it was purchased on-line...maybe somebody that has one can look and chime in.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 14:35:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rollcaster

Not if you have yellow paper for your printer....

ORIGINAL: Erie Mako

The white ones you see are probably internet licenses (printed on plain paper), and you should be able to print multiple copies that should be considered as the "original". (I think you can even save the file as a .pdf on your computer for future printing!)

It's been a while since I've bought one on the internet, but thought they indicated that it was purchased on-line...maybe somebody that has one can look and chime in.

Here's the accompanying text from my online purchased license.....

PENNSYLVANIA FISH AND BOAT COMMISSION
    LICENSE DOCUMENT
    CLICK ON THE PRINT BUTTON TO PRINT YOUR LICENSE
    After printing, close this window [x] and select "Return Home" or "Print Receipt"
    Your license is printed below. To legally use your license, you must follow these instructions:
    1. Sign your license. Licenses are not valid until signed.
    2. Cut along the outside border (dotted lines) of the license, then fold as indicated. (Note: Should you choose to
    laminate your license document, you MUST ensure that BOTH sections of the license are visible for display to a law
    enforcement officer.)
    3. Display this license on an outer garment while you are participating in the activity covered by the license and provide
    it to a law enforcement officer upon request. You are strongly encouraged to carry photo identification in addition to
    your license, as law enforcement officers may require additional identification during routine license checks.
    4. State law prohibits you from borrowing or loaning this license to anyone.
    5. State law prohibits you from altering, modifying or changing any information contained on this document by any electronic means.

No where do I see where color matters & no where on my license does it specify weather it was an online purchase or not.
    Looks just like a 'regular' license.
    Also doesn't say you can't save it & print multiple copies, just that you can't modify it electronically.

I don't honestly know the answer to the original post, but it seems to me, it doesn't matter. I've got 5 copies of mine...all white.
    Never had an issue.

post edited by Pork - 2011/04/13 14:36:15

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 15:23:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Pork

ORIGINAL: rollcaster

Not if you have yellow paper for your printer....

ORIGINAL: Erie Mako

Here's the accompanying text from my online purchased license.....

PENNSYLVANIA FISH AND BOAT COMMISSION
    LICENSE DOCUMENT
    CLICK ON THE PRINT BUTTON TO PRINT YOUR LICENSE
    After printing, close this window [x] and select "Return Home" or "Print Receipt"
    Your license is printed below. To legally use your license, you must follow these instructions:
    1. Sign your license. Licenses are not valid until signed.
    2. Cut along the outside border (dotted lines) of the license, then fold as indicated. (Note: Should you choose to
    laminate your license document, you MUST ensure that BOTH sections of the license are visible for display to a law
    enforcement officer.)
    3. Display this license on an outer garment while you are participating in the activity covered by the license and provide
    it to a law enforcement officer upon request. You are strongly encouraged to carry photo identification in addition to
    your license, as law enforcement officers may require additional identification during routine license checks.
    4. State law prohibits you from borrowing or loaning this license to anyone.
    5. State law prohibits you from altering, modifying or changing any information contained on this document by any electronic means.

No where do I see where color matters & no where on my license does it specify weather it was an online purchase or not.
    Looks just like a 'regular' license.
    Also doesn't say you can't save it & print multiple copies, just that you can't modify it electronically.

I don't honestly know the answer to the original post, but it seems to me, it doesn't matter. I've got 5 copies of mine...all white.
    Never had an issue.

That's kinda what I was thinking. They have the CID # in case there is an issue. That would be customer identification something or other, I would wager.
    post edited by nysteelieguy - 2011/04/13 16:13:59
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 15:30:02 (permalink)
    Agent # might indicate an online purchase and that little bar code probably has more info in it than you would ever think. Would be real easy for someone to cheat the system, wouldn't want to get caught doing it though.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 15:35:18 (permalink)
    I emailed the commish to check....
    but it doesn't say "DO NOT SAVE" or "DO NOT COPY", just "DO NOT MODIFY ELECTRONICALLY"

I just don't see how it's ok for online purchases to print multiples,
    but point of sale purchased licenses can't be copied?
    Seems strange
    ...we'll see...if they answer

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 15:53:34 (permalink)
    "DO NOT MODIFY ELECTRONICALLY"

How would you do that?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 19:22:07 (permalink)
    By saving the page in a word processing file. Then editing the info before printing?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/13 21:29:56 (permalink)
    Last year I probably printed 6 and only lost 1.
    Wallet, truck, boat, 2 tackle boxes and hat each get one.
    Lost black baseball cap with red HK & license.

Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/14 09:57:20 (permalink)
    Got a reply...
    it appears internet licensing is the way to go, as it's ok to save the .pdf of the license & reprint if lost.
    Would save the lost license fee for having it replaced.
    But you can't have multiple copies printed out....I've destroyed my extras to meet compliance.

Anyway, here's the email from the fish commision:

Thank you for your email question. You have a great question. Regarding the internet licenses, from a law enforcement standpoint they obviously do not want you to make copies. But what you're saying is exactly right, the form could be saved and printed at a later time. For the licenses that are standard yellow licenses that you receive when you purchase from an agent those definitely can not be copied and law enforcement can tell because of the paper they are printed on. Because of tampering with the license they will not allow either type to be copied. Hope this helps and if you need anything else please let me know.

nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/14 18:11:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Pork

Got a reply...
    it appears internet licensing is the way to go, as it's ok to save the .pdf of the license & reprint if lost.
    Would save the lost license fee for having it replaced.
    But you can't have multiple copies printed out....I've destroyed my extras to meet compliance.

Anyway, here's the email from the fish commision:

Thank you for your email question. You have a great question. Regarding the internet licenses, from a law enforcement standpoint they obviously do not want you to make copies. But what you're saying is exactly right, the form could be saved and printed at a later time. For the licenses that are standard yellow licenses that you receive when you purchase from an agent those definitely can not be copied and law enforcement can tell because of the paper they are printed on. Because of tampering with the license they will not allow either type to be copied. Hope this helps and if you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks your your help!
    slimyrock
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/14 19:52:20 (permalink)
    Huh !

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew your way out of the restraints.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/15 10:39:33 (permalink)
    I'll keep my multiple printed and signed online licenses stored in strategic locations just in case.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/18 14:44:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

By saving the page in a word processing file. Then editing the info before printing?

Guess I forgot to use my sarcasm font...
    mathteacherrob
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: PA fishing license question 2011/04/21 23:09:20 (permalink)
    I actually printed mine out on blue card stock paper(more by mistake then any other reason) we got checked coming off the water and the warden commented on the blue paper. Anyways I have a copy of my license printed out that I keep in my car for summer time fishing just incase... One thing to consider when printing the online licenses is if you ice fish a color besides white would be a good idea, My license fell off while dragging the hut and luckily I was able to find it even though that copy was white.
    Jump to: