catch and release for musky tips and discussion

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pappyolboy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 14:08:55 (permalink)
How about those Muskie.
I agree with shut up n fish, well most of it anyway.If you want to keep a fish that's your business. For what your paying for a license these days.You might thing think you paid for it. Oh by the way I have been fishing for over 60 years. And a lot of hours went into muskie fishing. From the tailrace of Kinzua to the Tidioute bridge on the Allegheny river, Conneaut Lake through the ice, Pymatuning Lake & river.I always said the 1st 50" trophy muskie would go on my wall. The space is still empty. I've told this to my sons & grandsons, who all love to fish. 50 or back. But it's there choice.
Buy the way I saw 2 legal muskie caught this week and both went home with the fisherman. I even helped to get one in.

OLD MAN
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 15:17:56 (permalink)
I'd like to see PA do with muskies what Texas does with oversized redfish. Have a trophy tag included with each and every license that you fill out, tear off and attach to the fish if you want to take it home. For muskie's sake, it can be used on any fish that meets the current length restriction. Essentially, you are one fish and done for the year so you can take home the nice one or hold out and wait for the trophy if you really want one. In addition to that, let angler's have the opportunity to purchase another musky trophy tag if they use the one that's included with their original license but you would only be allowed to purchase one extra trophy tag per year. Set the cost for the second tag at $20, $30 or whatever the PFBC deems acceptable for a musky. With the POS system, it will be easy to track the tags.

Heck, since there is no "yearly" limit currently for musky, maybe let anglers purchase as many trophy tags as they want since right now the PFBC doesn't seem to think the resource is being affected with the current regs. and this way, you get more money for the use of this valuable resource for the anglers that want to keep musky. A large portion of the tag money could go to musky stockings in currently stocked waters or allow stockings in new, acceptable waterways.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 16:13:07 (permalink)
Eyes,

That's a logical approach to protect a species, but I have a few questions to you and the others.

Are musky a species that requires "protection" beyond the current regulations? It seems Musky anglers asked for, and got more "protective" regulations. Yet are still not satisfied.

Is there any evidence of significant, let alone excessive harvest in Pa. waters?

Other than,( AND including those who specifically target Musky, who would be more C&R inclined ). How many folks catch more than, let alone significantly more than 1-2 40+ musky per year? And of those, how many are harvested?

I may be wrong. But I just don't see any indication of a harvest/over harvest issue that needs to be adressed. Just the personal prefrences, and desires of Musky specific anglers.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 17:10:27 (permalink)
I'd like to see PA do with muskies what Texas does with oversized redfish. Have a trophy tag included with each and every license that you fill out, tear off and attach to the fish if you want to take it home. For muskie's sake, it can be used on any fish that meets the current length restriction. Essentially, you are one fish and done for the year so you can take home the nice one or hold out and wait for the trophy if you really want one. In addition to that, let angler's have the opportunity to purchase another musky trophy tag if they use the one that's included with their original license but you would only be allowed to purchase one extra trophy tag per year. Set the cost for the second tag at $20, $30 or whatever the PFBC deems acceptable for a musky. With the POS system, it will be easy to track the tags.

Eyes, Chautauqua used to do that very exact thing when they had the hatchery and management program there....I still have a couple of those old plastic tags somewhere. I like the idea, but I really don't think it is absolutely necessary.

Spoon, you are absolutely correct in your thinking...and it is exactly what I've been trying to say all along. The muskie fishing in PA has improved immensely over the last 20 years. Not only in numbers, but also size. It is called good judgement/management by those who are catching them most (which is happening) and NOT extremism/purism.

musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 201
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 18:19:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

You do realize guys targeting musky generally fish with 60-100# braid and 7-8' rods as stiff as a telephone pole, right?  Yet somehow a miniscule bump on a 7/0 hook will make a difference in hook sets?

Sorry but I don't believe that a barbed hook would make the slightest difference in hook penetration regarding muskies.    

this article was actually revolved around the salt... so I imagine the hooks are of equal size...

shutup...

i'm really just trying to get under your skin, but you won't bite

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 19:02:20 (permalink)
kind of like a tick would do 
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 201
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 19:43:07 (permalink)
mcfart,

are you so london or what?

i used to hunt musky, but i got so good the state asked me to quit fishing.  I just let shutup write his essays on here. 

TastyTrout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/02 12:43:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pappyolboy

How about those Muskie.
I agree with shut up n fish, well most of it anyway.If you want to keep a fish that's your business. For what your paying for a license these days.You might thing think you paid for it. Oh by the way I have been fishing for over 60 years. And a lot of hours went into muskie fishing. From the tailrace of Kinzua to the Tidioute bridge on the Allegheny river, Conneaut Lake through the ice, Pymatuning Lake & river.I always said the 1st 50" trophy muskie would go on my wall. The space is still empty. I've told this to my sons & grandsons, who all love to fish. 50 or back. But it's there choice.
Buy the way I saw 2 legal muskie caught this week and both went home with the fisherman. I even helped to get one in.

Pappyolboy!!!  There may not be a 50 inch muskie on your wall but that big walleye sure looks nice!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/04 10:22:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Eyes, Chautauqua used to do that very exact thing when they had the hatchery and management program there....I still have a couple of those old plastic tags somewhere. I like the idea, but I really don't think it is absolutely necessary.

Spoon, you are absolutely correct in your thinking...and it is exactly what I've been trying to say all along. The muskie fishing in PA has improved immensely over the last 20 years. Not only in numbers, but also size. It is called good judgement/management by those who are catching them most (which is happening) and NOT extremism/purism.

I agree, it probably isn't necessary from a resource standpoint but for a money maker for the PFBC, esp. with tightened budgets, it may be worth it just from the monetary end of things. Who knows, after a little studying, they may find it doesn't make economic sense to even do it. Just throwing out an idea.

I just know that for Texas redfish, the trophy tag along with slot limits and re-designation as a gamefish to prevent commercial harvest did wonders to bring back that resource. Then again, redfish taste a WHOLE heck of a lot better than musky which is probably a really good thing for the musky.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: