Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/29 13:14:52 (permalink)

catch and release for musky tips and discussion

The first musky topic has got me thinking what steps do each of us go thru to try to release their catch the saftest way. Just figured it may teach a few people some new techniques and i for one am always open to learning a new trick or two to help.

38 Replies Related Threads

ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/29 14:25:48 (permalink)
    one common misconception is to push and pull the pike/musky slowly forward and backward to help it breath. It actually suffocates them. You are supposed to just keep them upright until they can take off under their own power. Just learned that from a big musky guy a short time ago.
    They are a very fragile creature. Even if they swim off under their own power doesn't guarantee its going to survive.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/29 15:12:43 (permalink)
    I wrote this piece about OUR routine for safely handling muskies in another forum. Everyone has their own methods and should get confident, but NOT too comfortable with their routine: Heres the article. Enjoy.

Proper handling and releasing of muskies is pretty much like fishing for them in itself. Over time and through hands on experiences, you will develop an effective routine which will suit you fine. Everyone needs to have a common respect and care for the fish that they plan on releasing, bottom line. If you do that, you WILL make efforts to do what is right in proper fish handling which includes reading, acquiring the proper tools and finally applying what you've collected....knowledge and gear alike. It is pretty simple really...have the attitude that you want to keep that fish out of it is environment for as little time as possible ensuring it's safety as well as your own. Develop a routine that is both effective and comfortable for you. Below, I share my own personal routine that I thoroughly go through with each new person that fishes with me.

1. Always TRY to fish with at least one partner. Make every effort possible to fish with somebody if you can. If you fish alone, good luck! Educate any passengers prior to fishing so that they know and understand what you expect beforehand. Trying to go over it while scrambling around with a fish, may turn into disaster for you.

2. Make every effort to purchase or acquire the best quality fish handling equipment. Here is what I use
    - a long set of needle nose pliers (mine are 16” long)
    - heavy duty, long handled bolt cutters
    - Boga Grip - modified with 18" handle.
    - a quality, rubber dipped landing net
    - regular needle nose pliers
    - tape measure

THE ROUTINE:
    1. After bringing a fish to the boat, be sure the fish is well played out before attempting to net or Boga the fish. (I once had a 42" muskie, that was still green, swim so hard through the net and got wedged in the net half way through! I had to cut my net and I’m sure it was not good for the fish). Lesson learned!

2. When captured (whether with net or Boga), keep the fish in the water until your partner gets what you need ready. Typically bolt cutters or pliers at this point. There is no need to pull a fish into the boat while it still has a lure attached to it. (One of the things I cannot stand to see is when guys hold up fish for a picture while the lure is still attached…a sure way to learn an unfortunate lesson and a terrible example for novices to see!)

3. At this time, one person just needs to keep a little pressure on the leader/line so that the other person can cut away the hooks with the bolt cutters while the fish is still hanging over the side and body still in the water. If the fish is lightly hooked, gently pry out the hooks with the long nose pliers.

4. Once the lure is free, lift the fish out of the water by supporting its weight near the belly. If you gill the fish, be sure to slide your fingers between the gills and outer gill plate or just use the Boga. Again, remember to support the fishes weight with your other hand!

5. Take a quick measurement and Photo and back to the water as quickly as possible.

6. The process of releasing a fish is certainly debatable…again, do what works best for you. I have found that as long as I lay the fish into the water and support it upright, it generally takes off fine. However, some fish need a little help so gently, I MEAN GENTLY, rocking it back and forth will help. Every once in awhile, I will let the fish go on its own to see if it will balance upright on by itself. If the fish does this, it is typically good to go in a few seconds.

7. Finally, it is always gratifying when a ski gives you the splash salute! I’ve had a few of these and I love every one!

A Couple Quick Notes:

Believe it or not once you have developed a solid routine, 1 through 5 in the “routine” should only take less than a minute and I mean that literally. Just sit there and focus on your watch until a minute goes by and you will get a true sense of how long it should take.

I know that the use of a Boga Grip type tool is debatable and sometimes controversial. I personally and simply look at it like this. We are impaling fish with 5, 6 & 7 O hooks…what can possibly be worse? Have you ever seen a muskie roll in the net literally 50 times in 5 seconds? My own safety and the safety of my passengers are slightly more important than the safety of the fish I catch. I’m sorry if that offends anyone, but it’s the way it is! If folks feel the other way around, and believe it or not, there are some fishermen out there that do; Maybe they should consider not fishing at all. Simply mere observation.

I felt the need to mention that not every fish we catch enters the boat either. In fact, most fish NEVER leave the water. If the fish is smaller and the “catcher” does not want a picture, the hooks are removed and the fish immediately released.

If I missed anything, please feel free to add anything that works for you!

HOPE THIS HELPS!! Good Luck out there on the water and be safe!

post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/03/30 08:22:16

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/29 15:25:57 (permalink)
    1 of the worst things to do to a fish is hold it vertically.  all the weight shift can do internal damage.  the fish's anatomy is not designed to carry and support its weight, if anything, hold the fish horizonally while supporting the belly.  best id to leave it in the water or supported in a cradle.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/29 19:23:38 (permalink)
    Shutupandfish,

Great post...Definitely don't take the fish out of the water in the net.  It never ends up well for the net, fish, or gear.

Always have extra treble hooks for the lures your using, cause 9/10 of the time its easier and safer to just cut the hooks (as close to the fish as possible, it will fall out on its own).

Use proper tackle (rod, reel, line ect) when targeting musky.  It does no good to target them on light tackle especially in the heat of summer.  The fight will last to long and more then likely make a live release impossible.  If caught on light gear by accident then attempt to bring the fish to net as quick as possible.

To add to the release, hold the fish facing into the current.  If in a lake with no current, have someone use the trolling motor and slowly move to make a false current which will help run water through the gills.  Moving them backwards (water moving from gills to mouth) is what suffocates the fish.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/29 19:41:37 (permalink)
    Have released a good number of muskie and I feel they survived because of quick release the sooner the better.  
    MUSKYJUNKY
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/29 19:52:53 (permalink)
    Well put I always try to net a fish as soon as possible another thing is to get the best net you can afford I had a 47 incher roll up in my net before had to cut the net and hooks. Best to get a hook proof net since I have got one haven't had any problems. I have sacrificed pics for the safe release of a fish that is something your have to learn from experience.

Figure 8
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 01:39:29 (permalink)
    one BIG thing i do for both my own saftey and the fishes is to take all the barbs off the hook. If you just crimp them down with a good pair of pliars or even take a file to them it can save you alot of time removing the hooks from the fish, the net and in some instances yourself! Last year on my bday my dad and i got our lines tangled on a cast and i ended up with the front hook of a 6 inch jake buried in my cheek but all it took was a bit of pressure and it came right out
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 08:19:57 (permalink)
    I personally will never pinch barbs down on my trebles. Simply because I have invested much time, money and heartaches into the sport. When I finally hook into a muskie, I want to have every variable to ensure I bring the fish to the boat. One of those variables is certainly the barbs on my hooks. Call me selfish or whatever, but I choose not to take it to the extreme of removing barbs, I'm sorry. Another case of "To each his own".

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 09:19:27 (permalink)
    A couple years ago i was fishing by myself and caught a 45" muskie. I wanted a picture with me holding it but there was no one else in sight. This was very late season and not many if any other boats were out. Not thinking i'd do any damage to it, i filled the big rear livewell, turned on the recirclater pump and kept fishing while hopeing someone would come by so i could get that picture i wanted. I checked that livewell every 15 to 20 minutes for a couple hours and it seemed to be moving it's gills and body okay. Finally had someone come by to take the pic. Couple pics and released it. Seemed to swim away okay but not strong. 15 minutes later as i was putting my boat on the trailer i saw it float back up and just lay on it's side. Took the boat back off the trailer and went and tried to revive it for what seemed like half an hour. Just couldn't get it to go so i took it home with me. I was dissapointed with myself and learned my lesson about these fish. They are very fragile. Do not put them in a livewell unless you plan to keep it. Wont ever happen again. That picture, to me, wasn't worth losing that big fish.
    MUSKYJUNKY
    Avid Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 11:19:32 (permalink)
    If you fish a lot by yourself go to walmart and get yourself a mono pod for you camera. I have mine attached to the front of my boat with some u bolts works great. As far as removing barbs I ain't going that extreme that's what bolt cutters are for. I've lost enough fish with barbs not giving the fish anymore advantage than it already has

Figure 8
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 12:10:52 (permalink)
    I wouldnt call you selfish its just a personal preference my dad and i share to make it a bit less traumatic to the fish. We started doing so on lake tamarac when the skis all seemed to be in the mid 30 range to try to limit the damage to the fish but i definatley wouldnt fault anyone for not doing so. We only crimp them down on lures like suicks and jakes where you get alot of solid hook ups with the front hooks and the rear ones end up either on top of the fishes head or in the side of its face. I really dont think its cost me more than 2 fish in the last 5 years mainly because if the fish isnt hooked good the fight is enough to tear the hook out
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 12:24:04 (permalink)
    Now that i think of it since we started doing so we havnt had the need to use bolt cutters once on a fish but that could be plain luck on our part. I do know my heart skips a beat every time one of the beasts launches itself out of the water tossing its head in every direction lol
    MUSKYJUNKY
    Avid Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 15:01:25 (permalink)
    I have never had to use bolt cutters and I don't mash down the barbs but I modify a lot of my lures with 3 trebles to 2

Figure 8
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 17:21:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I personally will never pinch barbs down on my trebles. Simply because I have invested much time, money and heartaches into the sport. When I finally hook into a muskie, I want to have every variable to ensure I bring the fish to the boat. One of those variables is certainly the barbs on my hooks. Call me selfish or whatever, but I choose not to take it to the extreme of removing barbs, I'm sorry. Another case of "To each his own".

evidence suggest that barbs "lightly" pinched, not the full way, actually hold fish better than barbless or full-barbed, but hey, to each his own.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 17:26:41 (permalink)
    I'd like to see that evidence...

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 20:08:17 (permalink)
    I could see the lightly pushed barbs holding better cause you would have a smaller angle to the main hook and barb causing a better hold factor.  The entry hole would be smaller which would help from the hooks pulling back through also...

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 20:32:31 (permalink)
    Any one who has fished muskies for a lengthly period of time, in my case 41 yrs, has their own way of doing things. I fish alone 95% of the time. For your own safety you have to be extremely careful when releasing these fish, especially if fishing alone.

A few things, little tricks, picked up over the years that have helped me in dealing with releasing muskies, of course just my own opinion, way of doing things:

Their teeth are not the danger, free swinging hooks on 2 or 3 hook lures are what you have to watch out for.

When using plugs, 2 hook lures are definitely less hazardous to both you and the fish. 2 hooks are enough on most lures under 7" in length.

A great tool for imobilizing free swinging hooks is a piece of rolled up netting about 18" long, taped on one end, looped on the other. Use this to snag any free swinging hooks, then you can safely deal with the hooks in the fish.

I prefer Mustad or VMC doubles, 4/0 or 3/0 for belly hooks on plugs rather than trebles. These hook very well, all but eliminate hook rash on plug bodies, eliminate the need for split rings, and often improve plug tracking, plus are a bit safer to deal with when handling fish.

Having the right tools is very important. One handed hook cutters, long needle nose pliers, wire cutters. Quality is important, especially with bolt cutter style hook cutters. Single hand cutters are a must. Knipex are the best and easily cut through muskie sized hooks, using just one hand. If the fish is lightly hooked, usually the hook can be removed with just the pliers. If the hook is deeply imbedded, cut it at the bend. Hooks are cheap enough. This is better for the fish than ripping out the hook.

Nets are the safest way to handle fish, especially larger fish, 40" or so on up. Work on the fish with the net in the water and use the largest, best quality net you can find.

I don't net fish unless they are around 18 to 20 lbs or bigger, then do it because it's safer. Pics aren't important to me when out alone. My preferred way to release the smaller fish is to just grab the leader with a gloved hand and twist or cut the hooks out. Don't have to measure every fish, for fish under 45" or so an estimate is close enough.

One can go on and on about this, ways to revive stressed fish such as towing a fish to oxygenate it, using a large aeriated live well to revive it, torpedoing a fish to get it to cooler, deeper water, etc. etc. All this works, but not 100% of the time. It is a fact that if you fish these fish hard, there will be the occasional fish that you can't revive. If it's legal, keep it, sub legal, you have to leave it. Do your best to revive it.

Boga grips? Controversial to say the least. Personally, don't use or want one, but that's just me.

To all that pursue these fish, good luck and good fishing. Treat these fish with respect. They are special. If one dies on you, get over it, not the end of the world. Do your best handling these fish and let it go at that.

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/30 23:45:17 (permalink)

I'd like to see that evidence...

ill dig up the issue tomorrow... but it was in fly rod and reel last year.

or you could just google it.  I'm really not kidding. 
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/31 01:21:54 (permalink)
    ive found to better my hooksets on lures like bobby baits and suicks to slightly bend the hooks so that the 2 trebles that contact the body are sticking almost straight out from the side instead of rubbing against the lure
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/31 08:44:02 (permalink)

No offense, but that explains alot...Of course they are going to promote barbless/or partly barbless

PlumbBob - good read...its always nice to get perspectives from different views and anglers...I really like the idea of the rolled up netting. Innovative. The only reason I like the Boga is because I believe it does the fish much less harm than a net does. And the only Boga I use is the real deal, because they are full proof and the spinning mechanism will never malfunction like many of the knock-offs do. When that happens with a spinning muskie on the other end, you can either break and arm or break the fishes jaw! Other than that, it has worked flawlessly for me for 10 years now. If we fish together this year, I will bring it along and show you how its done....make a believer outta you yet! I made modifications to mine which make it a safer tool as well....here are some pics and an example of my daughter holding a fish with it.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/31 09:33:12 (permalink)
    I don't see any problem with a boga as long as the fish's belly is supported, just like in SUNF's pic. Better than putting a hand under the gill plate.

Awesome pic, by the way.

One of these days I'll catch a musky...
    pawatergremlin
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/31 11:30:27 (permalink)
    I like a canvas cradle versus a net..the hooks dont get caught and if youve never had a muskie get its head stuck in a net lemme tell ya that can get hairy real quick...also you can modify bogas to be less traumatic to the fish...you just need to weld 1/4" round stock to the teeth on each side....more surface area spreads the grip out. definately cradle the belly though..a heavy fish will will suffer harm from being held up by its lip.....(who wouldnt?)
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/31 11:44:59 (permalink)
    Fellows,
    Just wanted to say thank you for some great info... not just for those who fish for musky regularly, but especially for someone (me) who has caught them 'by accident' while fishing for other species. I like the piece of rolled net idea and others suggested for better control of the fish.
    We did find a cradle to carry on the boat for the off chance of running into one of these great fish. Though it will also be used for other species....
    thanks again
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/31 12:08:36 (permalink)

No offense, but that explains alot...Of course they are going to promote barbless/or partly barbless

you do know that the majority of issues in those fly fishing mags revolve around bigger species than musky correct? I just don't want any reader bias affecting your posts, Joey.

stop and look at your avatar before you post sometimes.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/03/31 13:28:26 (permalink)
    Still waiting for that evidence....Joey.

I really find it hard to believe that a partially barbed, barbless or partially squeezed barb on any hook has more holding power. I'm serious about reading ssome expert's justification on that one, no matter where it comes from!

Now thats about the third poke you made directly toward me....maybe you should get a closer look at my avatar bud. Just sayin'
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/03/31 13:34:46

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 11:46:10 (permalink)
    I put a signature up just for you dude...

I've read your posts on pinning, and have heard from various sources who have fished with you that you snag half the fish you land (steel).

you've basically typed a book, and I'll seriously dig up that issue tonight, pdf it, then put it in my signature.

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 11:50:16 (permalink)
    since I'm not currently at home, I will break it down for you:

it may not HOLD fish better, but it will penetrate easier, and with partial barb left, have enough to hold the fish on.

you're a C and R advocate, yet won't bend on this one, and letting your ego get in the way. It's ok, quite normal as I've seen in your previous posts. I would have to say you might be the smartest angler on this board.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 12:03:25 (permalink)
    You do realize guys targeting musky generally fish with 60-100# braid and 7-8' rods as stiff as a telephone pole, right?  Yet somehow a miniscule bump on a 7/0 hook will make a difference in hook sets?

Sorry but I don't believe that a barbed hook would make the slightest difference in hook penetration regarding muskies.    
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: catch and release for musky tips and discussion 2011/04/01 12:19:26 (permalink)
    evidence suggest that barbs "lightly" pinched, not the full way, actually hold fish better than barbless or full-barbed, but hey, to each his own.

Go back and read your own words...This is your original post sir...The easier penetration factor may certainly make sense...just sayin' I never debated anything concerning penetration, but rather "holding power"...An open barb penetrated, I feel, will hold better. No need to get personal either.

And I appreciate that you analyze the things I write...we ALL need our critics and critiques.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/04/01 13:46:36

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: