using trout as bait.

Author
russelln114
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/12 07:57:18 (permalink)

using trout as bait.

Hey guys. Here's a topic for discussion. I use cut up trout filets for catfishing. A buddy of mine told me that this was illegal. I read the book and i see the section where it says that says ".It is unlawful to possess a fish in any form or condition other than in the whole or having the entrails removed while on shore, along the waters of the Commonwealth, onboard a boat or on a dock, pier, launch area or parking lot adjacent thereto." . I also read the part that says "It is unlawful to discard any fish carcass or parts thereof into the waters of the Commonwealth or upon any public or private lands contiguous to the waters unless disposal is on lands with permission from the landowner or it is where fish are properly disposed into suitable garbage or refuse collection systems or at an officially recognized fish cleaning station". What i am confused with is that am i only legal to use whole trout?If not then what do i do if a fish takes half my bait off. Am i to throw the rest out and rebait with a whole trout again? I caught my trout legally and I have the date written on the bag. I should be able to either catch a trout and cut it up for bait or bring some from home cut up. To make A long story short two wardens checked me the other day. They asked me if i caught the trout there. I said no that i brought the filets with me. I also showed them the bag i had them in with the date i caught them. They didn't say anything to me or tell me that it was illegal. My buddy on the other hand said that he got yelled at.

8 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/12 08:54:17 (permalink)
    If it was illegal they would have busted you,as long as you caught it on rod and reel you can use it for bait.
    russelln114
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/12 09:37:01 (permalink)
    yea. I did catch my fish on a rod and reel but not where i'm fishing now and they are fileted.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/14 11:21:09 (permalink)
    I ran into a guy last summer at Donegal lake that has said he's used whole trout to catch channel cats... And he said he uses them live and whole, am  not 100% sure but that doesn't sound like you're breaking any laws to me.  I know you're not allowed to just chunk a fish on any Commonwealth shoreline and throw it in as bait/chum but if you clean it and use chunks as long as there is no entrails attached is how I assume the law is written and enforced.  And if two wardens talked to you and didn't hand you a ticket and fine and you had to pay no $$$... Then i'd say your buddy is kinda wrong and just thinks you're crazy for using trout to catch other larger fish... I myself have no problem with you using it, I mean hell you probably keep the catfish and eat it.  But imo it's no different then the guys who use 6-8" shiners/chubs to catch Musky/Pike/Channel Cats.  Also, am I suppose to throw away a ripped apart minnow if something takes it but doesn't get it apart off the hook?  Am I not allowed according to the law to rehook it where I can and throw it back out?
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/14 11:32:59 (permalink)
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I sure like the title of your post...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/14 13:13:17 (permalink)
    I would never do this. Hatchery raised Trout are far too precious a resource to use as bait, especially for a lowly catfish.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/15 18:31:00 (permalink)
    Native trout make good fertilizer if you can catch a gazillion of them

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/16 07:07:43 (permalink)
    u can use any fish for bait as long as its kot legally on rod and reel and it is the legal size to keep. u can use bass or anything under these guide lines.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: using trout as bait. 2011/03/16 08:29:51 (permalink)
    Bait shop here used to sell live trout for bait.
    Worked great under the ice for Pike.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: