new fish

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: new fish 2011/03/21 22:01:47 (permalink)
     Am starting to get a little antsy about the feeders. Last year more than ever they got pounded cause of high water and I'm already seeing sport shop reports that guys are fishing them. Seems a lot of guys 'discovered'  them in the past couple of years.
  Any fish in those small places now are pre spawn and taking them out will definatley hurt the fishery. Too many guys who "fish" them are the guys who keep and dont release and that will have impact.
   Used to fish them commonly and only see a few guys here and there now if your not an early AM guy the places have been pounded with slashers and the guys who walk up and down in the middle of small brooks looking for fish. GEEEE do they really bite after that?
    I love this fishery and am trying NOT to judge others just cause of the pressure and the fact they are fishing "my" spots. , but the style is killing me.
     Starting to look just like shark season the past year or two with all the same stuff going on. I know it was happening before but not at the level it is now-I pray the guys in Green will be watching from behind a lot of trees.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/21 22:04:58
jcy110
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: new fish 2011/03/21 22:34:27 (permalink)
Everyone needs a class, driving, hunting, boat operating, scuba diving. Where is the class for fishermen that someone can instill proper fishing etiuqette. 1. Carry out the crap you brought in because its lighter.  2 Ask before getting so close to another fisherman that he cannot cast properly with the setup he is using. 3. Catch and release, if you are that hungry save your license money and go to the fish market!  Why so many fishermen create their own problems and make private land off limits is beyond me. Come on guys..............
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2089
RE: new fish 2011/03/21 23:29:39 (permalink)
Its funny you should say that jcy. When we were running our floats in a spot thats tight for 2 guys, 2 dudes came right next to us and walked out to thier chest(I have caught fish where they stood). They were casting the wrong bobber with way too much weight on spinning gear. They ran thier floats in front of both of us jerking it all the way not aware of how deep the water was. Across the way was 3 dudes that were clearly salmon snaggers were lifting all the way. I just kept casting over the lines until they decided to go fish unproperly somewhere else. Its amazing that we have all this info on the internet but dudes fail to research anything. Im on your side retired, I do not eat fish and let all of mine go. Dont get me wrong if a friend wants one Ill give one up a year though. Plus a few garbage bags do not take up alot of room in our backpacks. We alway take out more that we bring in. It takes only 15min to fill a bag and you can throw it out in the parking lot garbage.
fishon
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 10:56:18 (permalink)
  Keeping is legal although I wish the  lisence came with tags on it so once they were all gone - no more fishing. Would make guys selective an wouldnt really hurt that guy coming up for one or two weekends in shark season. I have seen guys take their limit day after day. They arent the greatest eating fish so I cant figure it out.
   The real issue is, like most things, ethics.

metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 13:43:10 (permalink)
Never really got a chubby fishing for big fish in streams that often aren't as wide as the rod is long. Kinda curtails their ability to fight---but to each their own--I guess.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 17:45:27 (permalink)
Hey Metal- go LIGHT - it makes it a trip
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 19:32:57 (permalink)
Imo if fish are caught legit in orwell you are definitely a skilled angler. I don't know how many miles it is they actually make it but its pretty far. I've seen fish in the log jam holes in to may. Some of those jams drop off close to ten feet behind them. Id say its abeautiful component of this river system we fish.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 19:40:38 (permalink)
Hey jonny glad to hear that you hooked in to something. Browns with eggs in late march???? This river never ceases to amaze me. I've seen browns coming behind steelhead for eggs but browns still holding eggs... that's awesome. Just like 2 weekends ago I saw that spawned pair of cohoes. This is such an amazing fishery we have here. Its turned in to a thriving stocked fishery with a whole lot of natural reproduction as well... tight lines... I can't wait to get up again
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 20:07:23 (permalink)
Dime cant say for sure about the eggs. The steelhead started loosing her eggs on shore, I did not see any eggs and realeased the browns in the water without feeling her belly. They sure did look preggo though or just fat. I have to figure out how to get some pics up here. It wouldnt surprise me to see a brown spitting eggs in this river either. That river is really special along with most who fi****.
jcy110
Novice Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 20:30:35 (permalink)
I always tell my son don't go near other guys if there isn't sufficient room to swing the 13' rod.  If it looks close, ask.  99% of the time the guy says come on in when he asks to make a few casts.  I like to cover a lot of water, cast and walk. No more than a few casts per seam.  Hate it when I walk and walk and between guys and trees it doesn't feel right to get in. So you wait until someone is re-tying on and ask if you can make a few casts, never denied, because its the right thing to do.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/22 20:45:18 (permalink)
Ditto on the asking- I always make a big  in the woods sweep around guys who are fishing too - hate it when they walk the edge looking into the pool or seam you are trying to fish -or stop and fish the bottom of a small run or pool 8 yards from ya while your are fishing the top- wont do it to another guy.
   I have come to the conclusion that its the ME generation and they really dont know any better. **s ****s   ( I did the little stars)
post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/22 20:47:35
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: new fish 2011/03/24 08:13:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Imo if fish are caught legit in orwell you are definitely a skilled angler. I don't know how many miles it is they actually make it but its pretty far. I've seen fish in the log jam holes in to may. Some of those jams drop off close to ten feet behind them. Id say its abeautiful component of this river system we fish.

IMO you have a better chance of hitting the NYS Lotto than seeing someone catch a legit fish in Orwell, Trout Brook, or 95% of the Diversion Channels that the "HEROS" fish.

I'm not singling you out Dime - (I'm sure you nailed that Steelie under the log jam in 9.5' of water).

Metalslayer was off the mark a bit:

Most of the places these yahoos are rippin fish at - The Stream Width < Fish Length!! - never mind the rod length...

I'm sure the fish is really thinking about eating when it's dorsal fin is exposed and it's belly is rubbin gravel.

I'm not proposing closing down the tribs BUTT - IF the DEC seriously wanted to promote natural fish propagation, they would close Trout Brook & Orwell.

In summary:

If you take a kid to fish one of them small streams - just to teach them the ropes and spend Quality Time away from the Video Games, Kudos to You..

If you catch your FISH of A LIFETIME in one of those "World Class Trickles" , you should proudly pose for a grip& grin pic with it.

Just make sure you stand in front of highway billboard that says "JOKER".
post edited by draketrutta - 2011/03/24 08:18:32
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/24 09:11:58 (permalink)
Hi Drake-
Guess thats one of my 'issues' with the pressure in the feeders- There is no way the fish are gonna bite with so many guys wading through and slashing away.      
    Used to go with a  5 wt. @  floating line or an ultra-lite 5' spinner with 6 lb and a little mitchel 308 @ fish way back from wherever I thought fish were. Sometimes that meant drifting line around corners and staying way up from pools and runs and using lots of line to get to the "honey hole" to keep the fish as ease. Hiding behind trees made it almost like Deer hunting.
    Now guys stand right over the runs and pools and fish at their feet------no way.
  Seem to be walking those places just watching and looking more often than not with the rod back in the truck these days.
  Got permission to catch and release on a posted area way up on one of them last year and have yet to go there- guess that may be the answer- letem all go anyhow. Its a new spot for me and I hate to leave the areas I fished for years and grew to really like.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/24 09:24:50
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/24 11:57:22 (permalink)
Hey drake I actually didn't. It was almost 4 years ago in may. There were a few fish held up in deep drop offs behind log jams but were spooked. I've considered targetting this area again with a slip float and a good amount of weight to get it down real fast. Haven't gotten to it yet though... but as I said; props to anyone who has legitimately pulled them out of that type of water. When it comes to plain as daysight fishig, I agree. F that. These fish I am speeking of i only saw b Ecause I had spooked them.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/24 13:07:50 (permalink)
Hi Dime,
If you watch most any of those log jams long enough in the right season sooner or later you will  see a tail or  fish.   When calm they will move a bit upstream to a bed or nice run and go right back to the jam when spooked.
The trick is to getem when they are out of the jam and NOT SPOOKED. They always seem to run right back for the fight - but hey who counts how many were landed anyhow.  They are Steel after all----
Thats the problem with all the pressure- I have seen guys with musket ball weights trying to pull em out of the jams by jigging ( straight up snag attempt at a tail). Have sat for an hour or two waiting for them to calm and move out so I can swing around upstream for a nice  downstream drift. Have found that they gotta be out for a while before really calming and going for a bait.
  Unfortunately thats part of the issue. Try standing back and waiting them out while "fishermen' are walking up through the middle of the brook and then ' politely' stepping out and walking the bank looking into the jam your are patiently watching from a few yards back. Some dont even have the common sence to TRY and be polite they just walk in the waters edge and splash through. *** ****S ( my dots)
post edited by retired guy - 2011/03/24 13:13:28
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: new fish 2011/03/24 22:59:39 (permalink)
My question is why anyone would want to fish for a Steely in a small trickle full of logs,there is n't much room for a drag screaming run in those streams.
If you want to see some log filled ditches go to Indiana and fish some of those "streams".
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/25 10:28:38 (permalink)
Beautiful day--beautiful woods---beautiful stream- beautiful fish-- and, in the past,  quiet and peaceful. Catching  a fish is always secondary to fishing anyhow.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/27 19:21:25 (permalink)
     Alright - now Im completely shot- Randy reported dropbacks already and I'm still waiting to go up and try and pickup and release  fresh pre spawn fish.
    Have been watching the weather and water depth stuff ten times a day and thought it was still very early cause of the cold.
      OK-- comin up tomorrow nite or maybe if things get messed up Tuesday night. Changin  plans missin meetings making people mad but fishin comes first.
jcy110
Novice Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/27 20:50:50 (permalink)
I wanted to come up tues 29th AM, float wed am then drive home. couldn't get any takers so I had to cancell...........not happy about that!
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/27 21:43:03 (permalink)
Going up sat to tuesday. Hoping to get in my friends boat monday. 1000cfs now hoping for 750-900
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/27 21:48:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jcy110

I wanted to come up tues 29th AM, float wed am then drive home. couldn't get any takers so I had to cancell...........not happy about that!

Why cancell? Make the trip solo. Catching mucho steel/browns or possible a 20plus pounder will cure that loneliness real quick.
jcy110
Novice Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/27 23:13:20 (permalink)
Its a 4 1/2 -5hr drive and at this stage of the game I don't need to fall asleep at the wheel, just safer with 2 people in the car. You BS and before you know it you are there. If I was staying for a few days then no problem going solo.
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/28 00:44:40 (permalink)
I hear ya jcy. I used to get off the midnights shift at 6am then drive 5 hours to the river right from work. Fish all day then pass out at 8pm. After making so many trips it feels like a 2hour ride now, unless its snowing from rosco to sr. That blows. When The Itch was so bad I would drive up on sat and leave sunday. If noone was able to go, I still needed my fix. Since joining Steelhead anonymous Im better but still fall of the wagon from time to time. Man I love that river, I might have to call out sick.The precious
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/28 06:24:26 (permalink)
Hey retired, I don't have first hand info for conditio.s myself, but it's usually pretty typical to start seeing dropbacks now. Try the staircasearea for prespawn fresh fish. Im sure there's some around and some even to still come. Usually mid februaryis when the summer run and early fall run steel start spawnig so those are the onesdropping back. Besides, with the water temp so low, they will hang around for a while rather than just high tailing back to the lake. Good luck; although the weather and water are going to be perfect the next few days, so you might not even need it:)

Hey jonny, I've been down the same road as you. I wouldn't be surprised if our cars have swiped eachother at 2 am coming through hancock or something. Lol
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/28 07:47:26 (permalink)
Thanks Dime,
 Guess is gonna be up tomorrow PM and fishing Wed Thurs.
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/28 19:09:10 (permalink)
Hey jonny, I've been down the same road as you. I wouldn't be surprised if our cars have swiped eachother at 2 am coming through hancock or something. Lol

That was you, you bastid lol. The good old days when coffee would make me tired. Staircase is a good bet, there was fish all over the river. Your right, the water is still Ice cold. I would expect dropbacks in a few more weeks. I would also expect another 2or3 feet of snow before its all over with. I saw some nice crome caught at the bend last week so who knows. Btw I did not make it once, I passed out in the wendys parking lot in deposit at 1am. Woke up 4am and made it to my favorite spot as the sun was just comming up. Now I take days off.
fishon
post edited by jonnyfishon - 2011/03/28 19:11:13
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/03/28 20:02:16 (permalink)
750 is nice water good luck retired.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: new fish 2011/04/02 14:44:09 (permalink)
Looks like it may be a long spawn with the cool temps and still snow cover around. Saw a nice mix of dark and fresh fish around the beds but not doing "it" yet. If the weather holds like this it may be at least another month to six weeks before its all completley over.
   Maybe not so nice for the Turkeys though. Cant have it all --darn
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: