I love the Pa. Game Commission!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 206
  • Reward points: 0
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 13:34:21 (permalink)
S-10
The diversity biologist are primarily funded through the state wildlife grant, which is a federal grant aimed at managing non game species.  They are not funded through hunting license sales.  In order to receive these funds, each state is mandated to have a wildlife action plan (Pa's can be found on their website).  Each state uses these funds differently, however PA uses it to fund diversity biologist to help landowners manage their property.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 13:54:10 (permalink)
Most of those grants require a dollar for dollar match which means the PGC is putting up a dollar of the hunters license money for each dollar of grant money they get and the total of the grant money has to be used for Non-Game wildlife.
The example would be if you(the hunter) had a thousand dollars of your money to spend on a gun and your wife(the bird lover) went to the mall with you to purchase the gun. Right across the hall from the gun store was a jewelry store with thousand dollar diamond earrings on sale where you got a thousand dollar necklace with each pair of earrings purchased. The two of you walked out of the mall, her with a pair of earrings and a necklace and you minus a thousand dollars. A good deal for her(the bird lover) not so good for you(the hunter).
At the same time they hired 6 Diversity Biologists they also hired 4 Wind Energy Biologists to keep track of how many bats and hawks were being killed,a grant writer to go after these matching fund grants, a Mammalogist, and a Otnithologist. Didn't have any money to explore why we are losing so many hunters, to do The Greatest Antler Restriction Study in the world, to upgrade the study on the effects of predators on our deer numbers, or several other Game studies. The priorties have changed and it shows up in their budget.
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 14:03:20 (permalink)
Certain grants do require matching funds, however the state wildlife grant does not.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 14:16:20 (permalink)
Certain grants do require matching funds, however the state wildlife grant does not.

I'am going to challenge you on that statement.My contention is the State Wildlife Grant is one that does require matching funds and the grant specifies exactly what the monies have to be used for and it's not for game species.
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 14:17:15 (permalink)
I stand corrected, there is a match.  However, according to an article, the matches are typically met through partners.
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 14:27:22 (permalink)
Some states use the money exclusively for a competitive grant process and may only fund a few projects a year.  Personally I think the money is better used funding these positions giving landowners the know how to manage properties for a variety of wildlife species. 
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 14:34:27 (permalink)
What they (the PGC) does is work with partners on occassion where they can pool their resources when both are working on the same project. The grant money is not enough to support hiring 14 new people plus pay for all the outside help to complete the projects. I don't hunt the bat, song birds, or hawks but I really don't mind helping fund them, BUT NOT when they won't fund Game related research due to a claimed lack of funds but have the money to fund Non-Game research. I want to walk out of the mall with something to show for my thousand dollars besides a smile on the wifes face.
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 15:26:11 (permalink)
I cannot verify how much of the 1.8 million dollar SWG comes from partners/NGO grants, but it is probably a fair amount of money especially considering one of the positions funded is a grant administrator.  The fact is, roughly 4% of the annual budget was used for non game species, with a large proportion coming from federal and non government grants.  I think we can both agree that is a pretty small percentage.  Also, as you mentioned, the diversity biologist were created to improve habitat for non game species, however they will also provide information for managing any species including game species.   
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 15:47:16 (permalink)
That 4% is just what has to be proven spent to get the present grant funds. What they are doing is going after all these other grants to leverage the money they get from license fees and other revenue. That would be ok except most of the grant money available is for Non-Game species and they are taking money from the Game Fund to obtain it. You only have to look at their budget breakdown to see that a larger percentage of their money is from federal funding where it had always been timber and license fees that provided their resources. They are easing out of the game business and into the enviromental business and if you take the time to follow the money trail and their hiring practices you can see it happening. Check out who they are pardnering with and tell me what most of them have in common with hunters.

I think your 1.8 million is way high for the average of what the PGC gets from the SWG. Try half that on average and they share some of that with the groups they work with.
post edited by S-10 - 2011/02/25 15:53:38
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 16:12:38 (permalink)
I'm still a Pa sportsman, buy a Pa license, pay Pa taxes,It's my money that funds the salaries of the PGC and my money that goes into the state funded grants. So why not SonofZ3 ??????????????
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Why did the PGC spend millions on a new regional office when the old building was adequate? Why wasn't the money put into wildlife habitat like the monies were interned to to be used from the Grower Greener Fund ? Lack of food plots due to not having funds to provide them is ridiculous !!

I think every hunter should have an interest in what is going on with the PGC and public land, but you've stated yourself that you own your land, you hunt on it, and practice your own QDM. Why the rabid interest in what happens on other people's land, or on public lands?

RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 19:35:56 (permalink)
I am sure that more than 4% of the hunters in this state do care about non-game species just as they care about game species. So, I think it is just fine for that 4% of the game fund being used for non-game management. I am also darn sure that a lot of the habitat managed in non-game management also benefits game species. 

Some of you make me very much ashamed of what all too many hunters are turning into. Hunters were once proud of the fact their money was being spent to wildlife management that benefited all of the citizens. That is part of why many non-hunters have historically been supportive of hunting even though they don’t hunt.

What are hunters becoming? What are their attitudes doing to the future of hunting in this state?

Thankfully we do still have a lot of hunters in this state that are interested in more than just what directly benefits then concerning wildlife management. Hopefully those with more positive attitudes will still be able to outweigh the damage these negative hunters are causing. But, there is no doubt in my mind that these negative hunter attitudes are doing more damage to the future of hunting then we have ever experienced from anti-hunter attacks.
 R.S. Bodenhorn    
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 20:42:10 (permalink)
That is part of why many non-hunters have historically been supportive of hunting even though they don’t hunt.

What are hunters becoming? What are their attitudes doing to the future of hunting in this state?

That's a crock of slop and a very feeble attempt at deflecting the blame for the political shift on part of the PGC and we all know it.
To start with, historically the PGC was spending one tenth of the money on non-game species as now and as you say, the non-hunters were very supportive of hunting then as now.
The complaint against the PGC is not that they are spending money on non-game species and that was stated but you chose to ignore it.
The complaint is that the PGC is holding research for game and hunter friendly issues hostage until they can squeeze more license money from hunters. At the same time they have no trouble funding research on non-game species, using money from the game fund to leverage more money for non-game projects and have the money to hire 14 new people dedicated to non-game issues.
The 4% is just the tip of the spending iceberg that is directed on non-game issues as can be seen in the budget breakdowns comparing year to year.
There is no money to increase ringneck stocking but there is money to produce a book on breeding birds.
There is no money to do the Greatest Antler Restriction Study in the world but there is money to hire four people to study windmills and their effect on non-game bird mortality.
There is no money to study why we are losing hunters at such a fast rate compared to other states but there is money to study bats.
There is no money to research who owns the mineral rights on the state game lands but there is money to map out the habitats of threatened birds or animals.
Why deny it, just change the name to Pennsylvania Audubon Commission and be done with it.
Just DON'T keep blaming the hunters for not being happy when they know they are being robbed.
The PGC currently has one of the largest budgets in history and one of the largest budget surpluses in history but can't find the money for important game related or hunter related issues. At the same time they have no trouble using hunters money to fund non-game issues. That's called robbery.
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 20:46:39 (permalink)
RSB- It was brought to my attention on another board that more and more often hunters are referring to themselves as "customers" of the PGC, and wanting to know what they get for the money. I have my gripes, but the change from being a "hunter" to a "customer" is a disturbing one. The change in title seems to acompany a change in expectations. "Customers" want to know what someone will give them for their money. Sad.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 21:14:13 (permalink)
+ You can have a Game Officer in a county (area) that is a real big --- and doesn't  treat people with respect. I,m not talking about violators I,m talking about everyone he encounters. The attitudes and judgments of that Game Officer can affect the hunters in a very negative way. And those resentments are passed on to siblings and other mentored hunters and circles those people run in. So the next time you stand there and try to discredit someone or belittle them, remember the respect you show to others (if you have any respect for others) is what you should expect in return RSB
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 21:34:00 (permalink)
remember the respect you show to others (if you have any respect for others) is what you should expect in return RSB

Well, he is mellowing out some in his advancing age, he used to call anyone who disagreed with him goons. thugs, idiots, or worse. Now were just uninformed, mis-guided minorties with a agenda that's harming ourselves. Still a lot of B.S. but he uses softer words. Maybe he is practicing for when he starts leading wildflower tours on the former state game lands.
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 21:44:39 (permalink)
I posted about ROBO DOE in another board and he had a comment about it being made up story , whats his claim to fame?
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 21:57:09 (permalink)
Apparently his job is to go around on the various boards telling us how good we have it and trying to portray anyone who questions the PGC's actions as the reason for anything negative that happens.EXample= it's our negative attitude that caused all the deer hunters to quit not the lack of deer. It's the bad winter in 2004 that killed all the deer not the million plus doe tags issued for years or the two years spent convincing hunters to kill them. Things like that. I don't know about the robo deer thing, I guess you just made that up. You will get used to that from him.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/26 01:04:43 (permalink)
Perhaps the PGC should of called the new license ID "Hunter ID" instead of "CUSTOMER ID". The PGC has got what they brought on themselves !
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

RSB- It was brought to my attention on another board that more and more often hunters are referring to themselves as "customers" of the PGC, and wanting to know what they get for the money. I have my gripes, but the change from being a "hunter" to a "customer" is a disturbing one. The change in title seems to acompany a change in expectations. "Customers" want to know what someone will give them for their money. Sad.

RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/26 12:29:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

+ You can have a Game Officer in a county (area) that is a real big --- and doesn't  treat people with respect. I,m not talking about violators I,m talking about everyone he encounters. The attitudes and judgments of that Game Officer can affect the hunters in a very negative way. And those resentments are passed on to siblings and other mentored hunters and circles those people run in. So the next time you stand there and try to discredit someone or belittle them, remember the respect you show to others (if you have any respect for others) is what you should expect in return RSB

Oh so you figure it is ok for hunters to discredit the WCOs and Game Commission and the WCOs should just sit back and take it without telling the other side of the story?

I don’t think so. At least it is not going to happen like that in my world.

R.S. Bodenhorn   
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/26 13:01:12 (permalink)
That's a crock of slop and a very feeble attempt at deflecting the blame for the political shift on part of the PGC and we all know it.
To start with, historically the PGC was spending one tenth of the money on non-game species as now and as you say, the non-hunters were very supportive of hunting then as now.
The complaint against the PGC is not that they are spending money on non-game species and that was stated but you chose to ignore it.
The complaint is that the PGC is holding research for game and hunter friendly issues hostage until they can squeeze more license money from hunters. At the same time they have no trouble funding research on non-game species, using money from the game fund to leverage more money for non-game projects and have the money to hire 14 new people dedicated to non-game issues.
The 4% is just the tip of the spending iceberg that is directed on non-game issues as can be seen in the budget breakdowns comparing year to year.
There is no money to increase ringneck stocking but there is money to produce a book on breeding birds.
There is no money to do the Greatest Antler Restriction Study in the world but there is money to hire four people to study windmills and their effect on non-game bird mortality.
There is no money to study why we are losing hunters at such a fast rate compared to other states but there is money to study bats.
There is no money to research who owns the mineral rights on the state game lands but there is money to map out the habitats of threatened birds or animals.
Why deny it, just change the name to Pennsylvania Audubon Commission and be done with it.
Just DON'T keep blaming the hunters for not being happy when they know they are being robbed.
The PGC currently has one of the largest budgets in history and one of the largest budget surpluses in history but can't find the money for important game related or hunter related issues. At the same time they have no trouble using hunters money to fund non-game issues. That's called robbery.

Excellent post.
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/26 14:04:49 (permalink)
 I personally have no beef with WCO,s in general and extend my respect to them . I have had several interactions with several WCO,s in my hunting and fishing experience . You have a job to do just as I have my job. I choose to be respectful to them and if the above post does not pertain to you ? No I do not think its just ok for hunters to disrespect you or your colleagues and if the shoe doesn't fit don't put it on. 
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/26 16:52:16 (permalink)
Once again in the eyes of a WCO the PGC can do no wrong. Is being brainwashed part of your training ????
ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

Oh so you figure it is ok for hunters to discredit the WCOs and Game Commission and the WCOs should just sit back and take it without telling the other side of the story?

I don’t think so. At least it is not going to happen like that in my world.

R.S. Bodenhorn   

ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/27 10:31:16 (permalink)
The bandwagon has arrived.......

Where's Baby Jesus?

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/27 14:19:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ready2fish

The bandwagon has arrived.......

Where's Baby Jesus?

I wish Baby Jesus would have a sit down with Chicken Little.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/27 18:41:42 (permalink)
LOL

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/27 19:38:28 (permalink)
"I wish Baby Jesus would have a sit down with Chicken Little.

Ironhed "

That way they can kneel together and pray for a few upper pgc staff members souls. lol

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/27 21:37:55 (permalink)
Think I,ll rub bananas all over myself and go fishing 
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/27 22:53:04 (permalink)
That would be frowned upon in some circles.

...but i would recommend guava melon or kiwi fruit.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/28 00:20:39
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/28 12:45:18 (permalink)
I used to put lemon juice on cuts and hangnails( I hate it when that happens)  figured I would try bananas and head out in the boat.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: