Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/24 14:56:11 (permalink)

I love the Pa. Game Commission!!!

I purchased 107.4 acres of land in Warren Co. in July of 2009. I contacted a Wildlife Diversity Biologist who works for the PGC. With NO COST to me he walked my property in April of last year. He came up with a wonderful Wildlife Habitat Management Recommendations plan for my land. No one believes me that I didn't pay for this plan, let alone the PGC did it for free. Anyhow my brother and I immediately set about making improvements to my property.(pruned apple trees,sprayed the Knot weed...) In August of this year the same PGC employee called and told me to contact the Natural Resources Conservation Service(Federal) and ask them about their programs for free money for land owners who want to improve their property for the wildlife. I filled out some forms and sent them back to the NRCS. I was told I would be considered for a bunch of federal programs like the WHIP,EQUIP, and CSP to name a few. I just found out this morning I am approved for $8300 of FREE MONEY to improve my property. I will be doing a Forest Stand Improvement and Mast Tree Release on 13 acres of Black Cherry trees, and a Forest Stand Improvement on another 22 acres(low grading). If it were NOT for the PGC I never would have even heard of these federal programs. I thought it was about time the PGC got a pat on the back and not slandered.  Once again thank you to the PGC!!   Go ahead and bash me all you want PGC haters but here is just one of the many GOOD THINGS the PGC does EVERYDAY for the public. 

58 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 15:12:33 (permalink)
    Congrats Noplace, sounds like a great project.
    Not much better than 'free money'.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 15:14:36 (permalink)
    That's awesome! I'm looking to help my neighbor do some improvements to her land, that she bought out in the sticks. She has hundreds of apple trees that are getting snuffed out by other trees, and are not producing much for apples anymore. Besides cutting down the invasive trees, when and how would be a good way to prune them apple trees? I'd like to at least get some of them going again.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 15:18:10 (permalink)
    Are you required to leave the land open to public hunting in exchange for the services of the PGC?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 16:04:43 (permalink)
    Work at them as much as you can BH.  The answer to your question Dardys is no. Remember I am enrolled in a Federal program not State(PGC).
    post edited by Noplacelikehome - 2011/02/24 16:06:47
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 16:05:53 (permalink)
    BloodyHand pruning apple trees is best in winter cause the sap isnt flowing up the trunks and prune them to look like umbrellas, trim cut suckers growing straight up if they are large uprights paint the cut to seal it off. We bought a place that had a dwarf apple tree on it and the former owners said it never produced an apple in all the years 14. I trimmed that winter probably took 5 feet off the main limbs with all the suckers my wife said it looked like Charlie Browns little Christmas tree and that I killed it. That next august I had to stake the tree to keep it from falling over so many apples on it ... 
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 16:08:30 (permalink)
    You would be surprised what mother nature can do with just a little help from us.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 17:08:43 (permalink)
    Noplace, I think your thanks are very misdirected.  There is no such thing as free money.  I have money confiscated from my pay on a weekly basis that is re-distributed to others in need.  Your welcome.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 17:11:42 (permalink)
    I may be wrong, but I thought the State Forestry Dept, for years , have offered a free service forforest management..WF
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 17:16:18 (permalink)
    I thought it was about time the PGC got a pat on the back and not slandered.

By definition "slander" includes the statement in question being false. Speaking the truth isnt slander just because it isnt heaping praise. While im sure it occurs, i far more often see legitimate complaints and facts which deservedly dont put the agency in a "good light". Im betting you would find very few, if any, legitimate cases of "slander" on this board.

Also kinda hard to have sympathy for an agency that has the highest level of dissatisfaction of any wildlife management agency in the nation.

On a bright note, Congrats. Glad you have had good experiences with all that
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/24 17:45:17
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 17:59:20 (permalink)
    Tull, I have also payed taxes for about 24 years. I just found a legal way to get some of my taxes back AND help the environment. W.F. you are right BUT I want my land managed for wildlife mainly, NOT the lumber.  Wayne, in all my years of hunting(28) I have never had a BAD experience with the PGC. But then again I try to obey the laws NOT break them. Most of the people who dislike the PGC have been caught breaking some sort of rule or law(road hunting,baiting,safety zone). Thank you, Tull and Wayne.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 18:08:50 (permalink)
    I wasnt speaking of wco's. I was speaking of hunter concernes regarding deer management which are currently big issue and have been for some time. Ive been checked by, or spoken to wcos on several occaissions through the years, and most have been professional and friendly experiences. I Did know of one that was a total...a good while back, but didnt have a problem with him, never arrested, busted, warned or anything else. Just not very good conversation. Just know he had a very bad and coc ky attitude and had a VERY bad reputation for it. He was moved to another region some time ago thankfully. Heard alot of complaints then from that region. lol

But overall, i greatly respect the wcos and the job they do. You'll have one or two bad apples in any profession, but that doesnt effect my perception overall. I also think many of the gamelands habitat crews do good stuff. The only problems i, and i think many others have with the agency are in a few select upper staff positions and some of the boc.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/24 18:13:24
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 18:45:30 (permalink)
    While you have done well by the PGC it is only because they have taken a bit of the money from all hunting license holders to pay for their work for you. A bit of history----While the PGC has been crying broke and asking for a license increase the last few years they also created a new department and hired 14 new employees to staff it which is dedicated to Non Game Species. There were six Wildlife Diversity Biologists hired in this dept for the task of creating cover for non-game species throughout the state. While some of what they want you to do may benefit game species their job and reason for their hire was for Non-Game birds and animals. The PGC has increased their level of spending in this area by a factor of 10 since 2001. Since the free PGC labor came from my license money and the free $8300 came from my taxes when can we meet at Tidioute so I can decide on where to place my tree stand?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 18:53:31 (permalink)
    Hey Bloody,
       It looks like you may have a problem pruning- specially never having done it before- GET A BOOK- a rough prune isnt as hard as it looks-just takes time on each tree- Greatest piece of equip is one of those 8" gas chain saws on a pole-saves TONS of climbing and clippping on the bigger verticals on those old trees. That little saw cuts like crazy and is also great for trimming around the tree too.

DONT FORGET- spray oil in the spring and disease killer  a couple of times early and mid season- yea yea yea some will say dont spray but those old trees will really produce if you do.  Less bugs and disease-more apples-You will be surprised how they do even when you spray the ones you didnt have time to prune. Any decent feed store will have the backpack pump sprayer and advise and sell you the needed spring oil ( also great for evergreens) and disease killers. I like to mix it a bit stronger than the directions on first time stuff cause the tree is  usually FULL of all the wrong things. Did this to a few and the crop and quality was really improved-a LOT

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 19:08:02 (permalink)
    Noplace you need help disposing of the those nasty old Cherry trees..

If you happen to put it up for bids let me know..
    Have chainsaw will travel...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 20:44:43 (permalink)
    Thanx for the advice on the pruning. Think I will get out there soon than and get some of these cut. I have a regular chain saw and also have a lopers on an extension pole. Might have to make those due. Drag a ladder out there with me too.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 22:59:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

I purchased 107.4 acres of land in Warren Co. in July of 2009. I contacted a Wildlife Diversity Biologist who works for the PGC. With NO COST to me he walked my property in April of last year. He came up with a wonderful Wildlife Habitat Management Recommendations plan for my land. No one believes me that I didn't pay for this plan, let alone the PGC did it for free. Anyhow my brother and I immediately set about making improvements to my property.(pruned apple trees,sprayed the Knot weed...) In August of this year the same PGC employee called and told me to contact the Natural Resources Conservation Service(Federal) and ask them about their programs for free money for land owners who want to improve their property for the wildlife. I filled out some forms and sent them back to the NRCS. I was told I would be considered for a bunch of federal programs like the WHIP,EQUIP, and CSP to name a few. I just found out this morning I am approved for $8300 of FREE MONEY to improve my property. I will be doing a Forest Stand Improvement and Mast Tree Release on 13 acres of Black Cherry trees, and a Forest Stand Improvement on another 22 acres(low grading). If it were NOT for the PGC I never would have even heard of these federal programs. I thought it was about time the PGC got a pat on the back and not slandered.  Once again thank you to the PGC!!   Go ahead and bash me all you want PGC haters but here is just one of the many GOOD THINGS the PGC does EVERYDAY for the public. 

Thanks Noplacelikehome!

The Game Commission is always enthusiastic to work with qualifying landowners willing to make improvements on their land that benefit wildlife.

It is we, the hundreds of thousands of hunters and millions of other state citizens who owe you the gratitude for allowing your land to be used to the benefit of our state’s wildlife resources.

My hat is off to you Sir!

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/24 23:26:16 (permalink)
    The Pa tax payers also thank you. Rather see my tax money going toward wildlife habitat and supporting the PGC than being used to support drug addicts on welfare.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 10:05:15 (permalink)
    ^^^ X 2 ^^^

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 10:19:37 (permalink)
    RSB, I asked the question long ago to Doc I beleive... Why the PGC does not put in more food plots in more game lands??? The answer I received was... The lack of food plots was to do with the lack of money and employees to take care of the plots. Now they have money to give away to landowners. Im sure most poeole would like to see more on their local gamelands.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 10:51:03 (permalink)

Now they have money to give away to landowners

roll caster... re- read the post.. the money DID NOT come from the PGC... gheezzzz.....
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 11:19:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Now they have money to give away to landowners

roll caster... re- read the post.. the money DID NOT come from the PGC... gheezzzz.....

Correct.  The only thing that came from the PGC was the labor that helped him find the money.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 12:04:07 (permalink)
    Why did the PGC spend millions on a new regional office when the old building was adequate? Why wasn't the money put into wildlife habitat like the monies were interned to to be used from the Grower Greener Fund ? Lack of food plots due to not having funds to provide them is ridiculous !!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 12:23:18 (permalink)
    Mabey the PGC should contact those same people to help with their land. Its all free right.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 12:29:10 (permalink)

While the $8300 didn't come from the PGC the salary for the Diversity Biologist's time and his expenses did. Remember his job it to improve the habitat for Non-Game Wildlife and since No place has previously said he intended to post his property there is no benefit to the license buying public for the money invested. It's great for the landowner but not so great for the folks funding it. It surprises me a bit about the Free money as most grants require matching funds plus restrictions on it's use. Maybe it's in the fine print.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 12:34:23 (permalink)
    I think it is rediculous the PGC would even have anything to do with helping out a guy with land that will be posted. WHY ??? Make the land we can all hunt better !!!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 12:41:34 (permalink)
    The PGC only guided him. I'm sure there is something in it for the PGC otherwise they wouldn't go through the effort.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 12:44:03 (permalink)
    Guys where did I say I POSTED my land. I NEVER DID. The locals however decided to post one side of it. Don't put words in my mouth, just so you guys have something to whine about. ANYONE who OWNS land can apply for these programs. But most people are once again LAZY and want everything handed to them.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 12:47:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Why did the PGC spend millions on a new regional office when the old building was adequate? Why wasn't the money put into wildlife habitat like the monies were interned to to be used from the Grower Greener Fund ? Lack of food plots due to not having funds to provide them is ridiculous !!

I think every hunter should have an interest in what is going on with the PGC and public land, but you've stated yourself that you own your land, you hunt on it, and practice your own QDM. Why the rabid interest in what happens on other people's land, or on public lands?

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: I love the Pa. Game Commission!!! 2011/02/25 13:17:19 (permalink)
    Guys where did I say I POSTED my land. I NEVER DID

Not going to fight over it but you may want to go back and read some of your posts when you were first in the process of buying that property and shortly thereafter.
    Just a caution on that free money, it's been awhile, but I chased after some of those programs and it always ended up that with the amount of match they wanted and the restrictions it was going to cost me more than it was worth. It may have changed but be aware.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: