LFZ Regs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 06:13:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: waDerboy
Rarely as Drake said will they be going out of their wy to check taper on someone who is legitimately fishing. Much like the 4 ft rule that pinners break more often than not or the way guides put hooks on their plugs, unless you are observed snagging you will not have a problem.
At that point it comes down to does the person holding the rod think he is better than everyone else and that the rules don't apply to him.

Similiar to my opinion/first-hand DEC experience with running line,

I asked another DEC Officer if he would pinch a pinner that is working the deepest part of the Sportsman Hole with lead that is further than 48" from their hook (explaining that LOGIC and COMMON SENSE dictate that even if the weight was > 48" from the hook it is basically suspended vertically or slightly "trotted" making it near impossible to snaggletooth a steelie.

He concurred with a wink of an eye and a professional smile.

Whodda THUNK IT - Common Sense seems to prevail with the NYDEC SR crew.

I don't view myself as a SCOFFLAW.
I'm an Indian willing to inject COMMON SENSE into BS Regs by asking THE MAN.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 06:16:08 (permalink)

We greenheart aficionados laugh at those asshats fishing that space age boo crap!
Our braided horsehare lines have been tapered since the the 8th century.

Fly Flickers -vs- Bait Chuckers

Spey-Tards -vs- Pinheads

The "Boo Crowd" -vs- The Tupperware Stick Swingers

dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 06:56:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

We greenheart aficionados laugh at those asshats fishing that space age boo crap!
Our braided horsehare lines have been tapered since the the 8th century.

Fly Flickers -vs- Bait Chuckers

Spey-Tards -vs- Pinheads

The "Boo Crowd" -vs- The Tupperware Stick Swingers

what about the beer drinkin rapala puller??????
hey, I haveno problem with guys fishing running lines. I used them for years and caught many fish legally. Its just that I learned to fly fish by floating dries and swinging wets and streamers for trout, so I prefer to keep the traditional cast and approach in my fly tactics for steelhead. Besides, you get the most natural presentation if casted,drifted,and mended properly... atleast in my opinion. Tighht lines guys
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 08:29:48 (permalink)
  I may not be a perfect fly guy but here goes- I have done it for years off and on with mixed results after being a die hard bait on the fly rod in a small stream guy all  my life. I despise lures.
Never having fished with traditional fly guys I kind of worked it out for myself and had fun doing so- the fun it what the whole thing is all about to me anyhow.
   Sometimes I can drift a fly through a spot for extended periods of time and love it just to cast to the right spot and make the drift the way I planned it- fish on is just a bonus -if it happens at all.
  As we now live in a world of ever expanding regulations and laws it becomes much more involved just trying to have fun --thus a bit of frustration here as I DO try and obey all laws pertaining to anything I do.

That being said --- The more over regulated hunting and fishing get the more I envision myself sneaking around in a Gillie suit.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/15 08:38:21
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 08:42:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dimebrite
Besides, you get the most natural presentation if casted,drifted,and mended properly... atleast in my opinion. Tighht lines guys

Here's the catch - lying under the $64,000 bucket o'Gold:

I can cast a straight taper running line (yes - CAST) 30-40 feet with nothing more than a bead-head bug fly for added weight. I rarely fish dries, I prefer the dark side.

I can also drift and mend the straight taper fly line - matter of fact there is usually less need to mend because there is less drag caused by my slinny line.

Of course the line manufacturers will never tell you that you can CAST this line - (NO FREE ADVICE for $19.99/spool).

I may not stand in the same shoes as the flyist who can cast a purdy 75 foot cast across the entire river to land a minisule fly like a feather, but I don't care to try that.

Even on my home waters, I usually catch my fish under the surface, while the pursists wait around and ponder Vince Marinaro-ish thoughts as they wait for the "hatch" to begin.

To each their own.

Last time I checked, anything over a 30 foot cast in the SR (not discounting the 10' fly rod) is OVERKILL..

just my 2 cents worth.

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/02/15 08:45:10
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 08:48:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

the more I envision myself sneaking around in a Gillie suit.

Don't let the MARKETEERS coax you into spending your hard-earned $ on a ghillie suit.

You can easily make one from old bed sheets, sharp scissors, and some sharpie pens or a bit of spray paint (color of sheet depends on type of cover).

REDNECK ENGINEERING - GIT R DONE...
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 09:05:05 (permalink)
I KNEW IT - you rascal -you made one already!!!!
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 15:55:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: dimebrite
Besides, you get the most natural presentation if casted,drifted,and mended properly... atleast in my opinion. Tighht lines guys

Here's the catch - lying under the $64,000 bucket o'Gold:

I can cast a straight taper running line (yes - CAST) 30-40 feet with nothing more than a bead-head bug fly for added weight. I rarely fish dries, I prefer the dark side.

Yes you can but a tapered line does it more efficiently and easier.

I can also drift and mend the straight taper fly line - matter of fact there is usually less need to mend because there is less drag caused by my slinny line.

Also partly true. Mending can be done but the progressive taper makes it easier.
While running lines are thinner why not go to a mono line,I havw seen Joe Humphies throw 30 with only a bb shot, since it is even thinner since it has no plastic coating and therefore will need less mending still. answer-- because its supposed to be flyfishing.

Of course the line manufacturers will never tell you that you can CAST this line - (NO FREE ADVICE for $19.99/spool).

I may not stand in the same shoes as the flyist who can cast a purdy 75 foot cast across the entire river to land a minisule fly like a feather, but I don't care to try that.

Even on my home waters, I usually catch my fish under the surface, while the pursists wait around and ponder Vince Marinaro-ish thoughts as they wait for the "hatch" to begin.

Some people fish nymphs while waiting for the expected hatch you know.

To each their own.

Last time I checked, anything over a 30 foot cast in the SR (not discounting the 10' fly rod) is OVERKILL..

True dat

just my 2 cents worth.

pistolpete76
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 16:54:17 (permalink)
For what it is worth I think I'm like Retired. I'm trying to break into fly fishing and would like to do it "right".My buddy gave me a Kunan 8/9 wt. rod,backing and 8 wt. WF line.I would like to know what to do from there to the fly. I have fished my whole life but mostly baitcasting and spinning in lakes. I have caught salmon,steel and browns but in smaller waters on spinning gear. Being tight on cash these days I bought an Okuma 8/9 wt. reel w/large arbor. Feels great but casting correctly may take some time. Some of you may be on the river and say look at that a******, but maybe it is me just trying to learn to be as good as you guys.Most of you guys are very helpful and any advise is appreciated. I have a good time being one of the "frozen chosen" just wish I could find more of the dumb fish.Don't think I'm getting the fly down deep enough but I will be back in March (or sooner) to try again.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 17:13:55 (permalink)
Hey Pete
  Thank God ya didnt get pinched. Finding out all kinda stuff since you left.
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 17:44:24 (permalink)
Wasn't sure about anything so we fished Trestle. I am learning though, thanks.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 19:06:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete76

I'm trying to break into fly fishing and would like to do it "right".My buddy gave me a Kunan 8/9 wt. rod,backing and 8 wt. WF line.

The learning curve will be steeper with an 8/9 outfit,
I know you are short on funds and geared up for SR,
But try to find someone with a 5/6 and cast that for awhile – even in your backyard
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 19:45:09 (permalink)
hey pete, from your fly line you should sneel a piece of 20 or 25 about foot long. from there loop on a piece of fifteen around 2 ft. then a peice of 12 around 2 ft. then a piece of 8 around 2 ft. swivel or blood knot with your 6 lb. tippet or even lighter from there if necessary. you can definitely make it easier by going with just straight 12 for about 6-7 foot, then your tippet, but i prefer a taper myself for a few reasons... rolls the fly out better, loads the line better, and drifts and gets down better...
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 21:12:47 (permalink)
CREEPERS Dime- did you make that up or are those real words and things.
  Im heading out tomorrow and will be THERE for a few days- now ya got me worried sick.
   Ill practice all the way up, lemme see now - oh yea- snail a wombat to a 2 foot equalizers butt and then whirl it over a piece of treebark till its soft then sling  in a bit of ..................
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/16 06:03:43 (permalink)
Dime,thanks again. Hey Drake, going to try the backyard practice sessions. My only question is, Will this beat the crap out of my fly line?
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/16 06:04:02 (permalink)
Oops. Snell not sneel....
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/16 06:08:40 (permalink)
Backyard is great for doing back hand cast but not so great for roll cast. The line needs the water to load... make sure you knot a piece of line on the end around a foot long and loop a piece of yarn on it or else you will damage the end of the line. The yarn also helps it feel a little more like the real thing.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/16 10:39:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pistolpete76

Dime,thanks again. Hey Drake, going to try the backyard practice sessions. My only question is, Will this beat the crap out of my fly line?

Plan A: wait till the grass grows...(and clean the line afterwards.

Plan B: find a small pond in a city park where you stand on water's edge.

if you want true adventure:

hire a hooker, place a quarter in her navel(yes, she is a BIG GIRL), stick a wad of bubbly gum on the end of your flyline, and snatch the coin via fly cast.. repeat as necessary...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/16 10:57:30 (permalink)
I never bothered with the multiple sections like Dimebrite - but alot of guys use his method.

I just use two sections different lb test (e.g. 12lb - to 6lb leader) and break them with a microbarrel swivel if I am fishing the Salmon River (no real need to turn over the fly).

or I twist mine up as follows:

HAND TIED FURLED LEADERS

Try that - they work great - and you can twist one up while watching the boob tube. After you get the hang of it - they are really simply and do not unwind!!

(Jeez - I wonder if the tapered leader guys know about this youtube video)...
rpm13
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/16 12:32:40 (permalink)
hey pete, from your fly line you should sneel a piece of 20 or 25 about foot long. from there loop on a piece of fifteen around 2 ft. then a peice of 12 around 2 ft. then a piece of 8 around 2 ft. swivel or blood knot with your 6 lb. tippet or even lighter from there if necessary. you can definitely make it easier by going with just straight 12 for about 6-7 foot, then your tippet, but i prefer a taper myself for a few reasons... rolls the fly out better, loads the line better, and drifts and gets down better...

The MAXIMUM leader length for both UFZ & LFZ is 15'..............other parts of the river, leader length does NOT matter..............here's a link for all the Salmon River regs........http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31420.html
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/16 19:12:32 (permalink)
drake is right, just as i said that way would work; sometimes i just fish even straight 12 lb. maxima right off my fly line when swinging bigger wets or streamers in higher/warmer water. theres a million ways to throw rope; but sometimes one of the million works rather than all of the others; enough said on that note...for tapered leaders, i will be the first to admit they're not needed,; but when learning how to fly fish, a tapered leader is a staple in regards to common knowledge, and one can benefit from using one to say the least. besides, when fishing properly without too much weight and a properly calibrated fly outfit, getting hooked oon the bottom is not a question. so why not fish with a leader that will possibly maximize your hook ups??? just remember, in low/cold water, when fishing with 12 lb. swiveled to 6 lb. tippet, the fish may see that 12 lb. connected to your swivel before they see your fly :)... for the 15' rule... i believe the leader i explained was 1+2+2+2+tippet which is 2-4 ft.; so we're looking at 11 foot max in my descrip.... just sayin... but your link seals the deal. regs are the regs... i honestly have never read the regs book. so i'm not the one to ask when you want the regs recited...
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/18 17:13:32 (permalink)
Drake, I like furled link-thanks. No longer have a loop on fly line. I was advised to go to needle knot.Sneaking up tomorrow. Going to try Dime's set up.What is the best way to get fly down?Going to Trestle, I think holes are deeper than LFZ.Any advise? Bead head flies? Or where should shot be for regular flies?
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/18 18:34:35 (permalink)
Hey pete; trestle is not a prefference for me with the fly rod. The bend below the tailout and the straight away of flat water witha an undercut on the south bank(the bend is best fished from the south bank and the flat below before island is best fished from the north side)is more suited for fly rig imo. Ps... if you ever see a quad or a person(most likely drinking a beer back there say hi...
in regards to getting your fly down, use some bb shot or a sink tip rated for your targeted water. I would also advise checking out the snagging pool... a good walk downstream from the trestle north. A good .25 mile down from the sharp bend with very high bank on south side.ps that pool on sharp bend can be hot.... for getting the fly down also cast your nymph somewhat upstream and follow your drift with multiple mends. Tightlined
post edited by dimebrite - 2011/02/18 18:45:44
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/18 18:46:15 (permalink)
Dime, very cool response- thanks. Look for the guy beating the crap out of the water being cursed at by everone else. That is probably me.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/18 20:28:04 (permalink)
My favorite hole at the Trestle is actuallu below and out of sight from the Trestle.
Park in North Lot, take path downstream along North Bank, cross a diversion or two and the first sharp turn and below it is PRIME - locals call it the Snag Hole.

my 2 cents...

Nice easy walk, great water along that bend and below.

Beadhead flies to get down.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: