Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pistolpete76
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/11 14:37:07 (permalink)

LFZ Regs

Going up Saturday.Just getting started with fly gear.If I'm having too much trouble getting the hang of it, can I fish there with fly rod&reel but be set up with a float/indicator? I would probably be more flipping than casting in the traditional sense. Set up would be; float,swivel w/shot on tag then fly. Is this O.K.? I'll try not to screw anybody else up, maybe I can find a pool to myself. My buddy is experienced and will want to fish there.

54 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/11 15:41:21 (permalink)
    Hey, that swivel thing used to be the rule on the river but is now limited to DSR (private area). I have been wrong before but have not seen it on the Fly zone in years. Last week there were a number of guys in LFZ using strike indicators (not bobbers) and I have seen them there for many years during the shark season as well.
    There are 2 shops right by the bridge for info and the laws are posted on a board right in the LFZ parking lot as well. My understanding is that you cannot use any weight that would inhibit normal fly casting. Most guys are using very tiny weight a few feet above the fly attached directly to the leader to gain some depth-guess its legal cause you can still normally cast with it.
    Its definatley flies only in that area.

Poor guy- probably get pinched listening to me
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/11 15:54:26
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/11 16:38:09 (permalink)
    ok thanks.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/11 18:14:57 (permalink)
    Pete,you cannot use a amount of weight that the weight propels the cast,or the cast must be accomplished by the weight of the line but not by the weight attached to it.If you can make a roll cast with your rig it is legal.If you're standing there and "chucking" your cast over your shoulder with a bunch of weight you will be ticketed.With the low water you need VERY LITTLE weight if any.
    pistolpete76
    Avid Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/11 20:20:51 (permalink)
    Thanks again
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/11 22:58:33 (permalink)
    Hey Palfisher- didnt know about the roll cast thing= guess Iv been doing it right though cause thats what I do to keep the eyes from icing up. Using a couple of real tiny weights about 3 feet up on the leader. Dont know the number but so small its tough to keep them on.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/11 22:59:38
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/13 07:41:54 (permalink)
    your line must taper as well. no running lines allowed, or no tapered line put on backwards... i believe your line cant be more than 20' before it starts to taper, but don't hold me to it.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/13 09:00:57 (permalink)
    Hey Dime-
    Can you explain that TAPER thing a bit more- I believe I'm using an inexpensive fly line thats pretty much level throughout and the Drennan leader isnt tapered either.
    I may have an old #9 or 10 wt tapered fly line around but that might be crazy casting on my 6 wt rod. The pre made leaders are tapered though so maybe Ill go back to them if need be for LFZ. Is it both line and leader or just one of the two?
    You know I'm not a pure fly guy so frankly that seem a bit wacky to me- cant figure out the importance of it. If it has something to do with the ability to snag -so be it- but those guys will figure out away with whatever they use.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/13 09:04:10
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/13 09:33:52 (permalink)
    Hey retired, tapered leaders are not a concern.. a tapered line is though. Fly fishing is traditionally based on the use of a tapered line in which the taper creates a weight in which enables you to cast. A running line (which is non-tapered) is technically illegal in either fly zone. Also, a double tapered line spooled on backwards is illegal as well. I believe I was wrong with the 20' rule. It is actually 30. So your line must begin to taper at no more than the 30' mark. If you were to use a running line, you would need some sort of sink, shooting or float tip looped on to it to fish either fly zone. In my experience, this law is not strictly enforced if you are not blatantly chuck and ducking. I fished a 9 weight extended double tapered line on a 13' 7 weight this past weekend. It effortlessly castes beautifully for me. I tend to overload a rod only 1 weight heavier, but this rod in particular performed great withe 9 weight. Any rod under 12' in length should not be overloaded more than 1 weight class. In conclusion, when traditionally casting a properly matched fly rig, no muscle is needed. Finesse is a necessity in regards to loading the rod with the line. Hope this helps. Good luck. Also, a leader with somewhat of a taper helps in most cases.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/13 09:35:14 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, I recommend a hardy or cortland double tapered floating line...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/13 10:53:35 (permalink)
       Thanks Dime-
        Off to Cabelas tomorrow for a tapered floating line. Here I go again- is "weight forward " ok or is that just sinking line? I know that will be an option when I get there so I may as well know beforehand.
       Also-- is the thin end of the line supposed to be in front or the heavy end. In the past I always used double taper so there was always a thin end out front no matter how I loaded it.
       "school for old guys" who always used to just bait fish on the fly.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/13 10:57:38
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/13 17:14:36 (permalink)
    I prefer a weight forward floating double taper mysself. A lot of guys are in to customizing their lines buy looping all different sections together. I haven't really gotten in to it myself but I've never really seen the necessity either. I takemore of a traditional approach. Don't let a salesman rope you in to buying whateveryone else is using with all different tip attatchments. I suggest starting old school.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/13 19:18:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

your line must taper as well. no running lines allowed, or no tapered line put on backwards... i believe your line cant be more than 20' before it starts to taper, but don't hold me to it.

It is written in the reg book that no running line is allowed in the fly zones, but I have first-hand experience that it is indeed allowed - because I told the DEC Officer one day in the UFZ that I was using it and could not understand why they would consider it verboten - that I use it so the mudsharks will tear up my 19.99 running line instead of a $60 line.

He told me what I said made perfect sense - and he had no problem with my set-up - because he also observed me fishing and I was actually fishing - NOT C&D'ng.
    My beadhead WB easily allowed me to cast 30 feet of runningline - that's all I need to work a seam.

your mileage may vary,

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 03:40:18 (permalink)
    Not rippin here but a double taper and a weight forward are to seperate animals.
    A reversed double taper is legal because it is exactly the same taper from either direction.

Party on Garth!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 06:15:23 (permalink)
    Your actually right wafer sorry to confuse you retired...duhhhh.. my hardy weight forward 9 weight that I fish is longer than most and does have a slight taper in the front of it so I often refer to it as a double taper. But its actually not...good catch wade. A weight forward will be more castable for sure though retired
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 06:21:26 (permalink)
    I knew you'd post that drake... I think I've seen you post that response 3 times so far. I feel as if a better presentation can be accomplished with a real fly line. Different strokes for different folks. You should've video taped tha Dec guy so you could show it in thefuture if another one busts your chops... but that's right, you don't really fish the fly zones. Btw, im up again 2nd weekend in march....
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 06:32:23 (permalink)
    RT:

I am no Expert, do not play one on TV, and have no aspirations to become one.

BUTT:

The EXPERT MARKETEERS do a great job of "HOOKING" the Two-Legged Rubber-Suited Pescatorial Persuers that roam the rivers and streams.

for example:
    Extra double-triple tapered (multi-grain) fly line, with our space-age coating created through our patented nuclear-fission manufacturing process, provides you the confidence of casting farther than you every imagined, and while subtle, still has enough backbone to remain stiff in flight to allow a Bald Eagle the opportunity to perch on your line - midcast - for the split second required for it to point your exact target - where the fishy will eat your offering."

THEY MAKE EVERYTHING MORE COMPLICATED to make it MORE EXPENSIVE.

95% of fishermen find no benefit whatsoever from the new fangled lines on the market.
    95% of the fishermen can fish just fine with CORTLAND RUNNING LINE $19.99.

Don't get me wrong - I buy WF for my smaller fly rigs - but it is the bargain basement stuff.
    and it lasts me a loooong time fishing for normal stream trout.

Call me cheap - but I ain't tossin an expensive line at MUD SHARKS in a rocky-debris-strewn river like the SR.

Jeez - maybe I would catch more fish if I bought the $100 Sharkskin line (the latest FAD).

It's good that you want to learn about tapers, just don't go crazy and BITE too hard on the MARKETING BS in the fancy nancy fly fishing brochures.

The guys that custom marry different lines together and carry arsenal of shooting heads have too much friggin time on their hands - so they took up a another hobby (fly line crocheting).

that's my 2 cents worth.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 06:38:06 (permalink)

I knew you'd post that drake... I think I've seen you post that response 3 times so far. I feel as if a better presentation can be accomplished with a real fly line. Different strokes for different folks. You should've video taped tha Dec guy so you could show it in thefuture if another one busts your chops... but that's right, you don't really fish the fly zones. Btw, im up again 2nd weekend in march....

pssst - the DEC puts cettain rules in print to cover the unwashed masses - like half the nitwits ever bother to read the regs.

read y post above...

I don't need no stinkin video - I have COMMON SENSE on my side.

I fish the UFZ 2 or 3 times a year. It's PURDY up there.

I would not fish the LFZ (a.k.a Kiddie Pool) with YOUR ROD.
    NEVER HAVE,NEVER WILL.

If given the choice, I'd sit in the Altmar Hotel and get hammered -vs- feeding the barrel fish of the LFZ.

YEEHAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 09:46:50 (permalink)
    Just as I said before retired... don't buy into the multi tip loop together systems they have. Just a plain jane traditional fly line. I bought a weight forward 7 weight floating line that had a long taper for salmon/steelhead. It was cortland andit was 55 dollars. A good buy in my book. It has a picture of an atlantic salmon on the front of it. I spooled it on one of my reels and put it on a 7 weight ten footer... needless to say my friend who's never fly fished before was casting beautifully with it after 2 days of instruction and managed to hook 2 fish. I will probably have that line for ten years atleast. Money well spent in my book. I tried it myself and liked it alot, but I myself prefer house of hardy fly lines....
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 09:55:31 (permalink)
     Thanks guys I really appreciate the input,
     even though its not my thread-
       That  $19.95 straight line has done me very well but dont like to break the laws no matter how much I may find them confusing or silly. So Ill pickup some kind of tapered line( probably cheap).
        Really appreciate the input you guys have given here and hope PETE saw  this before he got pinched  like I would have if somebody checked my line- even rolling 95% of  casts. Know that many L/E enforce the law using the REASONABLE guide and some go by each word in the book.  Both are right - may as well preserve my license and go by the book.

That being said I have taken the position that no matter how much the laws must be adhered to there may  come a point when we all  have to become Indians or just sit at home, or maybe take a walk on one of those paved "hiking" trails with the porta potties.
        When our sports are controlled by urban lawmakers who would really like to abolish our way of life and say  " Im noooot againnnnst outdoor sports butttt"- and then make dumb restrictive laws-  more and more each year it may someday become  overwhelming. I have personally seen this occur in Politics in regard to hunting  - "Imm nnnnot againnnst it", and then proceed to do everything humanly possible to stop it.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 18:10:50 (permalink)
    RT - in the specificcase regarding the SR Flyzones - the main factor involved is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The DEC wants to put an end to the CHUCK & DUCK method used there.

If so - make it SIMPLE - NO ADDED WEIGHT PERIOD !!! (shot,sinking lines,shooting tips - NONE ZERO ZILCH).
    Such a rule would make the zones TRUE FLY FISHING...
    Maybe allow added weight to fly only 1/8 oz like they do now.
    Besides that NADA.

KEEP IT SIMPLE..

The reason they won't is that they (DEC) want to comtinue to sell licenses.
    Another reason is that the merchants in Altmar go ape**** when the DEc threatens to tighetn down on their clients and customers that employ the latest high priced fishing toys in the Kiddie Pool.

Oh the HUMANITY !!!!
    OHHHHHH the HYPOCRISY !!!!!

What a tangled web the man-made fishy playground known as the Salmon River has evolved into...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 18:58:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

RT - in the specificcase regarding the SR Flyzones - the main factor involved is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The DEC wants to put an end to the CHUCK & DUCK method used there.

If so - make it SIMPLE - NO ADDED WEIGHT PERIOD !!! (shot,sinking lines,shooting tips - NONE ZERO ZILCH).
    Such a rule would make the zones TRUE FLY FISHING...
    Maybe allow added weight to fly only 1/8 oz like they do now.
    Besides that NADA.

KEEP IT SIMPLE..

The reason they won't is that they (DEC) want to comtinue to sell licenses.
    Another reason is that the merchants in Altmar go ape**** when the DEc threatens to tighetn down on their clients and customers that employ the latest high priced fishing toys in the Kiddie Pool.

Oh the HUMANITY !!!!
    OHHHHHH the HYPOCRISY !!!!!

What a tangled web the man-made fishy playground known as the Salmon River has evolved into...

may 1st to may 15th is no added weight in the lfz and i believe ufz when it opens in mid/end april???? is no additional weight through the summer. i definitely see a lot of guys in the fly zones basically just doing a modified chuck and duck with a little more of a flick and whip involved... hey, it is what it is... IMO, i think it has come a long way. but also, IMO, i believe actual fly fishing does not involve a running line, atleast not the way i learned... (what a snob i sound like right now)... oh, but thats right, you might see me dragging a rapala on an upstream retrieve in a few weeks... uhhohh, somebody call the fly police...lol...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 19:03:19 (permalink)
         I completley agree with the notion that the only way to stop a practice is to STOP that practice- not to legislate all kinds of dopy stuff without really adressing the original problem. It happens all the time and leads to other interpretations of the thought process behind the action.
      As an elected official -believe me when I tell ya- the thought about some shop selling an extra fly line or two isnt the reason. Thats never the reason otherwise you would NOT see all the Govt. hinderence of small business.
        The reason is somebody who never ever in their life went fly fishing  made up the rule when advised by  a "study committee." There is always a committee about evrything so those responsible can say "wellll we diddd consult the exxxxperts". They say this when you complain and then look at you like your the idiot. And you ask-whoo is on the comittee? Its whoever that non fisherman decided is an expert.

Indians someday, I tell ya- Indians
        My def. of Indian- somebody who you dont even see or hear in the forest,
                                  nobody even knows they are there -not even John Law.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 19:27:27 (permalink)
    Wow we're getting pretty deep here now. I'll be honest though i wouldnt mind seeing the flyzones even tighten up regs a little more. Just my opinion based on my observations
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/14 21:16:16 (permalink)
    If somebodys snaggin- go pinch em for snaggin
    Im tryin t learn fly fishin at an age where its hard to learn anythin -Pleeeezzz dont make it more difficult than its got to be cause somebody else is snaggin

Hope that be simpler

course the real answer may be to just fish BELOW the bridge--but I just bought that new double taper/  weight forward/  floating ,gold plated friggen  line that i gotta put on to replace my other new cheap illegal level line and had to drive a 40 mile trip for, and a bunch of new little black #10 thingies
      Now Im gettin frustrated so i BETTER get a lousy fish
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/14 22:07:03
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 00:36:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Indians someday, I tell ya- Indians
       My def. of Indian- somebody who you dont even see or hear in the forest,
                                 nobody even knows they are there -not even John Law.

Pooooolaski & Altmar have Indians that come and go like the Great Spirit - with ropes full of fish, and always seem to outsmart John Law.

Funny thing is - I have no idea which tribe favors Vodka...

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 00:38:19 (permalink)

and a bunch of new little black #10 thingiesNow Im gettin frustrated so i BETTER get a lousy fish

The REEL EXPURTS FLOSS with #22's.....
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 00:47:14 (permalink)
    but also, IMO, i believe actual fly fishing does not involve a running line, atleast not the way i learned...

Try telling that to the"Boo Crowd" that uses "Silk Lines" - a.k.a natural material straight taper running line.

Chances are you won't get invited to belly up to the bar after they get finished flogging you with cane. LMAO

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 04:16:04 (permalink)

If somebodys snaggin- go pinch em for snaggin
    Im tryin t learn fly fishin at an age where its hard to learn anythin -Pleeeezzz dont make it more difficult than its got to be cause somebody else is snaggin

Hope that be simpler

course the real answer may be to just fish BELOW the bridge--but I just bought that new double taper/  weight forward/  floating ,gold plated friggen  line that i gotta put on to replace my other new cheap illegal level line and had to drive a 40 mile trip for, and a bunch of new little black #10 thingies
    Now Im gettin frustrated so i BETTER get a lousy fish

RT
    If the real concern is learning to flyfish then a tapered line is the way to go whether it is mandated or not.
    They are designed for flycasting.
    They help in turning the line , leader and fly over.
    The new weight foeward lines have a much longer taper than those made 20-30 years ago and are probably the easiest to learn to cast with.
    If it is the complexity of the law that is the issue, either a get a regs book (this seems to be your style) and learn them or don't fish there.

To be sure the reason for said laws are not to sell more fly lines (most would be bought online outastate anyway) but to give COs an enforcable reg to use when they see someone snagging.
    Rarely as Drake said will they be going out of their wy to check taper on someone who is legitimately fishing. Much like the 4 ft rule that pinners break more often than not or the way guides put hooks on their plugs, unless you are observed snagging you will not have a problem.
    At that point it comes down to does the person holding the rod think he is better than everyone else and that the rules don't apply to him.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LFZ Regs 2011/02/15 04:35:45 (permalink)
    We greenheart aficionados laugh at those asshats fishing that space age boo crap!
    Our braided horsehare lines have been tapered since the the 8th century.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: