New or Used

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
  • Reward points: 0
RE: New or Used 2011/01/13 11:57:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post this here and hope some people look at the post-
Sights!
Looking at the Spot Hogg Right on 5 pin, wrapped (5 pin for 3-d shoots, eventually). This sight is around $160 though, and it would be by far the most expensive accessory purchase I make. I figured that if I do buy a more expensive sight it should be fine for years and years. Why not get a 5 pin right off the bat if I plan on doing 3-d shoots eventually, instead of buying a less expensive 3 pin then having to upgrade?

Also looking at Cobra sights, and Copper John sights. Any thoughts/suggestions? All of the big name sight manufacturers around the 100 dollar price point have mostly good reviews on cabelas.

G5 make pretty good sights too
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: New or Used 2011/01/13 22:48:42 (permalink)

Robinson, just a bit North West of Pittsburgh. We have a Gander Mtn pretty close. Next Saturday I'm heading out to Ultimate Outdoors- http://www.ultimate-outdoors.net/ and hopefully I'll get some of those questions worked out. I hear good things about them, Gander Mtn, so-so.

I'd avoid Gander. You'll do better in a shop. Phils Archery in McKees Rocks is good.
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
RE: New or Used 2011/01/13 22:58:10 (permalink)
31"  6' 5 im a big boy lol , buy a decent bow for 3 years, upgrade after you get the hang of things and decide if its something you really enjoy
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: New or Used 2011/01/14 00:42:05 (permalink)
That's what I use and it has an adjustable rheostat. Super bright if you plan on hunting in a blind. Best ajustable on the market.
ORIGINAL: jkrunningdeer

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post this here and hope some people look at the post-
Sights!
Looking at the Spot Hogg Right on 5 pin, wrapped (5 pin for 3-d shoots, eventually). This sight is around $160 though, and it would be by far the most expensive accessory purchase I make. I figured that if I do buy a more expensive sight it should be fine for years and years. Why not get a 5 pin right off the bat if I plan on doing 3-d shoots eventually, instead of buying a less expensive 3 pin then having to upgrade?

Also looking at Cobra sights, and Copper John sights. Any thoughts/suggestions? All of the big name sight manufacturers around the 100 dollar price point have mostly good reviews on cabelas.

Be sure to look into the HHA sites. One pin that adjusts.

SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: New or Used 2011/01/14 10:59:02 (permalink)
Between the shop up in Cranberry OA mentioned, the one down in the Rocks DanesDad posted, and Ultimate Outdoors out in Plum, I should have some good archery shops in the area!

Thanks for all the help guys. trip to the shop has been pushed back to Monday. When I finally do get the bow set up and accessory-d out I'll post some pics.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: New or Used 2011/01/14 14:06:15 (permalink)
I'm a one pin guy. Tried 2 or 3 at different distances for a very long time and felt they just got in the way. I set ONE at 25 yards and Kentucky the shorter distances. I would never shoot more than 30  ( just a self imposed thing) and know exactly where to align the pin for that distance-same for shorter.
We all know that PRACTICE is what makes one a bow hunter. One pin is just fine as long as you practice with it at different distances and from your stand height. I'm talking real practice here- not just shooting a few times before the season. Iv been doing it for over 50 years and still shoot hundreds of arrows before the season -even with things set already from the past.
I also set sticks out from my stands at set distances- no guess work.
We all do it a little different and thats just my way.
BTW-remember on that draw length thing--when shooting at game its not unusual for a guy to  overdraw a bit-I shoot one inch longer arrows than my actual length just in case. The practice makes it OK.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/14 14:19:30
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
RE: New or Used 2011/01/14 15:03:33 (permalink)
I'm lucky enough to live somewhere that I can literally walk out the front door and start practicing with a bow. I'm also lucky enough to have a next door neighbor thats an archery enthusiast, so theres 3 archery targets and a few laser rangefinders around.

OHWM
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: New or Used 2011/01/14 17:19:54 (permalink)
   Sometimes I just get comfortable with the stuff Im using and stay with it when it works well. No neew fangeled yardage kumputear stuff or bows with wheels bigger than a 10 speed for me.
  Guess thats why I shoot a bow older than some of the guys on this post and set out sticks for yardage markers. Different strokes.
That is NOT shot at anyone keeping up with the latest equipment whatsoever. There is definatly  a need and place for that, but then there are the guys who still use bamboo rods too.

post edited by retired guy - 2011/01/14 20:02:48
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
RE: New or Used 2011/01/14 18:29:14 (permalink)
Nothing wrong with old school, be it archery, guns, or fly fishing. I was just trying to say that I have everything I need here for frequent practice. No need to drive anywhere, or pay for a club membership. I know not everyone is so lucky.

OHWM
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: New or Used 2011/01/14 20:06:00 (permalink)
Right on with the luck - I walk across the street to a few hundred acres of woods with a Summer camp on it. The camp archery range is only about a hundred  yards from my house. They let me use it anytime, even keep my targets out all late summer and early fall when they close up for the kids. Hunt there too.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: