Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/08 23:31:43 (permalink)

New or Used

So I'm looking into archery. I got some money set aside, and want to get what I need to start practicing. So Bow, sight, arrow rest, string decelerator, kisser button and peep sight insalled etc and some arrows. heres the question- buy a brand new decent entry level bow, or buy an older top of the line bow for the same ammount. I'm feeling pretty good about a 2003 hoyt razortec bow right now that had new limbs and a string put on it a year ago, as long as the draw length can be adjusted for me. Like new condition. Thoughts?

I keep thinking along gun lines- how much has changed in a quality bolt action rifle in the last seven years? But archery may be different. I don't know much, but I know I want to try it.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM

39 Replies Related Threads

akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 06:56:36 (permalink)
    i never buy new bows. i wait for other guys to spend the cash and then find one 2 or 3 years old for hundreds less. i have a reflex growler i found for $200.00 and its awsome.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 08:49:29 (permalink)
    Everything I've read about the razortecs is good, great actually. They're going for around 350, naked bow. They were $750, stripped, in 2003. I'm sure its slightly heavier than a 2010 or 2011 model bow, but other than that I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a good idea.

OHWM
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 09:43:33 (permalink)
    look at Mission by Mathews if you dont want a 2011 Mathews or Hoyt.

Mission's do have packages with sights, quiver, etc.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 11:06:06 (permalink)
    As long as you don't buy the cheapest models most of the compounds are good and way better than they were a decade ago. My thoughts are if you know your way around bows as far as setting them up, sighting them in, etc then do as akitadog says and buy a used top of the line bow for a fraction of the new price. If your just getting into it I would spend the extra and get one from a good dealer that will help you get started and point out the things to watch out for. There are a lot more things to go wrong with a hi tec bow than there were with the old recurves that you need to be aware of when buying a used one. They are like a new car however and drop like a rock in value the first couple years of use.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 11:50:44 (permalink)
    I am currently shooting a Razortec. I bought mine used in 2005.

They are relatively fast, quiet, light, and have a great "in hand" feel. It also has a slightly larger brace height than some of the new bows, making it plenty forgiving. The only thing is that since it is a dual cam the draw cycle is a little rougher than that of a single cam, but the backwall is very solid.

I think IBO is 315fps and with my hunting setup at 30" draw at 70# I am shooting in the 275fps range.

For what the bow should cost used, you will not find a higher quality bow. I have shot many bows and I truly feel that a decade old high-end bow will shoot better than any of the new low-mid end bows. If the price is right, I would say go for it. I am probably going to sell mine this year in favor of a new model, but for the only reason that I am a gadget junky.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 12:26:29 (permalink)
    I disagree with Esox on this one.  I think the tech. on the middle of the road new bows these days is just as good or better than 5-8 yr old top of the line bows.  I personally think your are better off picking a bow that fits you and feels good to you, regardless of price or age (as long as it's in good condition) and reasonably quiet.  Granted, you will most likely be able to find a $1000 bow that will feel great to you but do you want to spend that much when you are just getting into it?

I would look at the older top of the line bows and try to shoot some and pick a couple favs. but I would also shop around at some shops and look at some of the brand new mid range bow packages and shoot them as well.  Most if not all will have great speed, parallel limbs, some will come with STS's, low end to decent sites/rests, etc.  Most are north of 300 fps IBO these days. 
    I like a real short bow since I treestand hunt almost exclusively and in some pretty tight spots.   I bought a Martin Bonehunter (Cheetah) pkg. from "Richard" Sporting Goods in '09 and I am very happy with it.  It is a single cam, 31" axle to axle, 7.25" brace height, 320 fps IBO and is super quiet and smooth.  The pkg. was $399 and they gave me 20% off up front plus I had $100 gift card and $50 in money from shopping there so much.  It was a no brainer for me at that point. 

All I am saying is just don't discount the mid-range new bows that are in your price range w/o trying them out.  Good luck whatever you decide on.  Plenty of deals out there either way you go.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 14:25:16 (permalink)
    Bow companies have been making accurate bows for quite a while. The biggest difference between bows made 10 years ago, and today is how smooth they are. I bought a PSE bow madness 2 years ago. It barely moves in my hand during the shot. There's practically no hand shock. When I compare it to the bowtech I bought 5 years ago, there's a huge difference in smoothness, but not much difference in accuracy. I'm now shooting arrows at about 298 fps, compared to about 280 with my previous bow at the same draw weight. This doesn't help me be any more accurate on paper, but it has helped in 3D.

I paid around $499 for my PSE in 2009. I was planning on spending more, but after I realized the more expensive bows were not any more smooth than this one, I figured I'd spend the $200 I was saving on the bow, and buy high end arrows, and a rest. I'm glad I did.

A good friend of mine just got a good deal on a Martin Bengal. I think he paid $399 for the bow, then bought good accessories and had a good string put on it. It's a tack driver. Not the fastest bow out there, but it shoots great.

There are a lot of Mathews shooters out there that will tell you that nothing shoots like a mathews. That was true years ago, but it's not true today. I'm suprised there's not someone on this thread saying "you have to buy a Mathews". My guess is, someone will say it before long.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 14:54:40 (permalink)
    I have a Mathews Drenalin, shoots great for me no need to upgrade

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 16:06:42 (permalink)
    I took out $600 to get the bow, sight, stabilizer, etc, have the bow set up (peep sight, D-loop, draw length, draw weight adjusted if need be) and half a dozen arrows. No quiver, no broadheads, no warm weather hunting clothing, none of that, and I know its not a lot but $600 is the limit. I like the razortec I've been looking at, especially since the limbs and string are only a year old. That being said, I don't know a whole lot other than I've decided to give it a shot, and I want to start practicing sooner rather than later if I plan to get in the woods by next fall.

I really appreciate all the advice. I've read through everyone's posts a few times, and have been looking at the models suggested. Compound bows all look pretty bad-azz, but the hands on advice of you guys is a key factor.

OHWM
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 16:46:18 (permalink)
    I hope you aren't going to be spending $600 on the Razortec. It should be quite a bit less than that even with all the bells and whistles.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 17:08:55 (permalink)
    I've been surfing used archery sites, and a used razortec should be from 325-350 max. That would allow me to buy a nice sight, decent stabilizer, release, some arrows, and maybe even a string decelerator and come in pretty close to $600, I think. I'm going to keep looking though.

OHWM
    grimm reaper 2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 18:11:14 (permalink)
    there is a hoyt razor tech sitting at my shop right now with a quiver whisker bisquet, nap stab ,3 easton epic arrows, hha 3 pin sight and a wrist sling for 350 pm me if interested.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 21:43:57 (permalink)
    Well here goes the Matthews saying!

I wouldn't shoot anything but a Matthews!

Just kidding, I bought 2 used bows when I started, Then a Proline Riptide new in 94 I think, Then my Matthews Conquest in 2004. I love the Matthews and see no real reason to ever upgrade other than having newer technology. My Matthews shoots fast, flat, quiet and its easy to draw compared to the 90 pounds I used to pull with the Proline. Its actually faster than the old Proline and its only 65 pound draw. The old Proline sounded like a 22 rifle when you released and towards the end the release strap around my arm would make my arm numb from holding 90 plus pounds back.

I havent followed the new bows but do know they are all **** good bows compared to the old Proline's, Hoyt's, Bear, Etc.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying a used bow as long as it fits you and feels good when you shoot it. Good luck with your decision.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/09 23:21:00 (permalink)
    The thing about bows is, the bow companies do everything they can to get archers to buy a new bow as often as possible. The slightest improvements are billed as the next "revolution" in archery and the thing that will "change everything". (Most of the time, the changes are relatively minor-it seems to take at least ten years for substantial changes to occur). As a result of this, bows dont hold value very well and archers change bows way too frequently...putting some quality bows out there cheap! You could get an excellent rig that is only a couple years old for your price range. My advice to those buying a bow, new or used, (and I'm certainly no expert) is shoot as many as you can and go with the one that feels best. Dont get wrapped up in brand names or arrow speeds. Just get something you can shoot well. New or used, doesn't matter.
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 08:48:22 (permalink)
    Check out the HOYT TURBOHAWK.....awesome bow for your price point. FAST AND QUIET!
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 11:02:53 (permalink)
    Been checking the local craigslist. Some big name bows for well within my pricerange. I need to find out exactly what my draw length is.

OHWM
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 11:57:54 (permalink)
    Determining draw-length and draw-weight
    Once you have found a bow that fits you and your needs you will need to outfit it with some accessories. First of all, you have to make sure the draw-length fits you and the poundage is right. Find your wingspan (finger tip to finger tip) and divide that by 2.5. This will give you a close measurement of your ideal draw-length.

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 12:02:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassboatbill

Determining draw-length and draw-weight
    Once you have found a bow that fits you and your needs you will need to outfit it with some accessories. First of all, you have to make sure the draw-length fits you and the poundage is right. Find your wingspan (finger tip to finger tip) and divide that by 2.5. This will give you a close measurement of your ideal draw-length.

Sweet! Thanks for the advice man. So far, its just been me drawing bows of people I know, and then said person squinting their eyes and going "yeah, thats pretty close. Yours (draw length) is probably an inch less than mine. Maybe an inch and a half".

This gives me 27.5 inches. Sounds a little short. I'm 5'9
    post edited by SonofZ3 - 2011/01/10 13:34:18

OHWM
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 13:48:17 (permalink)
    Sonof,
    Where do you live?  First thing you should do is head to the nearest reputable bow shop and get your draw length measured.  Even if you are just browsing, a reputable shop should be more than willing to do this.  Some bows, like my Martin, come with all the different draw length modules and my bow speficially, I don't even need a bow press to change the draw length.  Other bows out there also have this feature but many do not and you'll need a bow press.  Others don't include all the different modules and you'll need to get the one specific to you.  Not a big deal but if/when you go to sell it, it may become an issue.  Just something else to be aware of. 
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 14:25:31 (permalink)
    Robinson, just a bit North West of Pittsburgh. We have a Gander Mtn pretty close. Next Saturday I'm heading out to Ultimate Outdoors- http://www.ultimate-outdoors.net/ and hopefully I'll get some of those questions worked out. I hear good things about them, Gander Mtn, so-so.

OHWM
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 19:00:15 (permalink)
    sonof...im 5'8 my draw is 26.5, my bow elbow is always a bit bent at full draw...and like i stated it will give you a close idea...get measured...its the best way ...enjoy and shoot straight!
    post edited by bassboatbill - 2011/01/10 19:01:28

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/10 20:47:11 (permalink)
    5'9" and 27 inch draw
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/11 01:44:59 (permalink)
    If you buy NEW today its old in a couple of years. Some guys gotta have the latest stuff. I use a very old compound that my kids laugh at. Shoots straight and passes right through -no problem. Killed a heck of a lotta deer and stuff with it too, still at it. Cold probably buy it used at a store for peanuts but its fillet to me.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/11 02:08:05 (permalink)
    Keep in mind SONO that when adding a string loop, your actual draw length will decrease.Some times you can make it up depending on the style of release you use such as a trigger that is close to the jaw of release. Just keep that in mind. Some bows can not be adjusted in length without buying a cam where others can be by replacing the draw module. See Rob at C&M near Cranberry if you need any help or contact me.
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/11 08:45:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Robinson, just a bit North West of Pittsburgh. We have a Gander Mtn pretty close. Next Saturday I'm heading out to Ultimate Outdoors- http://www.ultimate-outdoors.net/ and hopefully I'll get some of those questions worked out. I hear good things about them

UO will answer all of your questions and LISTEN to your needs. this visit is a very good idea on your part!
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/11 10:54:52 (permalink)
    OA- good point. I never even thought of the release. My fiance's sister just got a new bow recently. Its got a 27' draw length. I'll ask her if I can playa round with it tonight.

These guys with 31' draw lengths must be some long armed dudes.

OHWM
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/11 15:12:07 (permalink)
    This year I went to the longest draw length I could get away with. Used a very short loop and went with a Scott Sabertooth release.(Trigger is very close to jaws) I like to shoot a bow with the longest draw that I can. It just performs better.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/01/11 15:17:08
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/12 16:09:56 (permalink)
    Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post this here and hope some people look at the post-
    Sights!
    Looking at the Spot Hogg Right on 5 pin, wrapped (5 pin for 3-d shoots, eventually). This sight is around $160 though, and it would be by far the most expensive accessory purchase I make. I figured that if I do buy a more expensive sight it should be fine for years and years. Why not get a 5 pin right off the bat if I plan on doing 3-d shoots eventually, instead of buying a less expensive 3 pin then having to upgrade?

Also looking at Cobra sights, and Copper John sights. Any thoughts/suggestions? All of the big name sight manufacturers around the 100 dollar price point have mostly good reviews on cabelas.

OHWM
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    RE: New or Used 2011/01/13 11:49:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post this here and hope some people look at the post-
    Sights!
    Looking at the Spot Hogg Right on 5 pin, wrapped (5 pin for 3-d shoots, eventually). This sight is around $160 though, and it would be by far the most expensive accessory purchase I make. I figured that if I do buy a more expensive sight it should be fine for years and years. Why not get a 5 pin right off the bat if I plan on doing 3-d shoots eventually, instead of buying a less expensive 3 pin then having to upgrade?

Also looking at Cobra sights, and Copper John sights. Any thoughts/suggestions? All of the big name sight manufacturers around the 100 dollar price point have mostly good reviews on cabelas.

Be sure to look into the HHA sites. One pin that adjusts.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: