Leader selection for steelhead

Author
SteelJunkie
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/04 19:43:37 (permalink)

Leader selection for steelhead

Hello, I've been noodle rodding since first coming to Erie and couldn't resist picking up a fly rod this year. I tied my own leaders this last trip using 10-8-6-4 pound flourocarbon to a length of about eight feet. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? The leader seemed to play out pretty well and I had good success. I really don't know the difference in line that is rated in pound test and "X" size. I've talked to some fishermen along the stream that feel a finely tapered leader isn't important for steelhead fishing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post edited by SteelJunkie - 2007/11/04 20:10:22

10 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/11/05 11:17:07 (permalink)
    Just about any leader will/can work in erie.  I prefer to use pre-made knotless tapered leaders.  9ft 4x is a pretty typical choice for me when the water is still fairly clear, it is about 5-7lb (.007'' thickness) test depending on manufacturer.  If the water gets some color I will use 3x tippet which is 7-9lb test(.008" thickness).  Premade leaders make it a bit easier to cast since the first 4-5 ft tapers from about 25lb- 15lb.  The thickness of the butt section adds a bit of "power" to your cast and will ensure your flies turn over and lay out properly.  Also, the premade leaders are simple to rebuild streamside, and make it pretty easy to change tippet sizes.  This is just my opinion and what works well for me...everyone has their own perference and im sure your going to get a handful of additional ideas/setups.

P.S. Tippet diameters are consistant for all manufacturers, even though the breaking strength may be different.  6x=.005"  5x=.006" ect.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/11/06 22:07:27 (permalink)
    Steeljunkie, heres the deal:

I have been using this exact leader for about 3 years now and I think it has about done away with pre made leaders in cost, and effectiveness.  This leader suits high-sticking as well as indicator fishing, all you'll need on the tribs.  The material makes turing over weighted rigs in strong current much easier too. 

My rod is 9'6"

Nail Knotted directly to the fly line, I start out with 8 inches of 25 lb. test of sunset amnesia, double surgeon knotted to 10 inches of 20 lb. amnesia
    (the red amnesia acts as a strike indicator when high sticking)

I then attach by double surgeon knot three sections of Maxima Chameleon Leader Material decending in lb. test increments of 20, 15, and 8 make each section being in inches 15", 10", 10".

Time to attach the tippet, depending on what size tippet you use, you can tie directly on to the maxima, 1X-3X is okay to attach, but smaller diameters will not bond with it.  What I do is attach "adaptors" of flourocarbon usually 2X or 3x then use a loop to loop connection to attach a smaller tippet.  Depending on depth or fly selection, you can vary the length of tippet you attach, but 36" is usually standard procedure. 

Hope this helps, you can customize, its ALOT cheaper in the long run, and truly a good set up.  Tight Lines.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/11/06 22:16:10 (permalink)
    Alot of purist will frown on this , but I use strait 8lb. test Vanish. Have only had two break offs. 
    I,ll add a tippet of 6lb if nothing is working. The 8lb. roll cast great with what I have( 60,s browning glass rod) , ask Skip he,ll conform that.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/11/07 10:50:08 (permalink)
    SJ, i found by exp. a longer leader/tippet on clear days works best so the spooky fish don't see the fly line. 6lb. tapered leader and tippet works well for general purpose but on clear days go down to 5x or 4lb floro. stay away from airflo sightfree floro. i hate to dis a company but i've had more break offs using this. it doesn't have the knot strength or flex as other floo i've tried. on clear days i actualy use 6x floro i get from the kettle creek fly shop. it's 3.4lb. as long as i can play the fish without forcing them this works to my adv. on clear days...  i found floro. tapered leaders are to stiff and i can't get the coils out were you tie it into the fly line so i'll use 8lb or 6lb regular tapered leader and add floro tippet to that. if you are going to roll cast a lot may i suggest a double tapper fly line. it's easier roll casting buggers and such and a softer approach in the water. also if one end wears out you can turn the fly line over and use the other tapered end. got to go, good luck~doubletaper
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/11/11 09:19:44 (permalink)
    Steeljunkie,
          I have to agree with Mikastorm.   I just use an 8-10 foot piece of extra limp 6# test line.  If.  I feel the need for a tippett I just snip the line back, put on a very small snap swivel, and then add a piece of 4# tippett that I tie a snelled end on.  The nice thing about the small swivel is it ats as an aditional weight plus you can change tippet lengths easily.  If all else fails I'll go with a pre-made tapered leader and cut it back 2-3 feet and then do the swivel-tippett thing.  See there are all types of techniques and many opinions.  Personally I do not like the multi-piece leaders- - - too many knots to possibly come loose.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SteelJunkie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/11/11 22:05:30 (permalink)
    Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the tips you all gave.
    Fishin Dave
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/12/03 22:14:43 (permalink)
    I statred using furled leaders this year on all my fly rods and really love how they cast and lay out.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/12/04 08:51:37 (permalink)
    I,ve been hearing some good reports on these. Might have to give them a try.

mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/12/04 10:54:46 (permalink)
    I agree with mikastorm,I use 8lb. Seagar carbon-pro,about 8',tie in 6lb. seagar ,4' and then the fly.No problum hooking or stopping fish.Land salmon on the same setup.$18 for a 200yard spool,enough line to last a long time.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Leader selection for steelhead 2007/12/07 15:32:16 (permalink)
    Maxima is a great leader material for strength and stiffness to lay out a leader and hold up to any fish that swims.  25 amnesia, 20 maxima, 12 maxima than 8lb maxima and what ever tippet you prefer.  Lengths you wil have to experiment with and find whats comfortable for what you fish but I shoot for around 10 foot of leader when its all said and done.
    Jump to: