Turkey Hunting Lessons

Author
jacksprat
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/04 15:23:27 (permalink)

Turkey Hunting Lessons

Every time I go hunting, I learn something about myself and the game I pursue.  Pennsylvania's current fall turkey season provided me with plenty of lessons.

The Saturday start to the season was slow because of dark, rain soaked woods and fog.  When my hunting buddy, Regis and I started the day, we were looking for a dark colored bird with great survival instincts under the worst possible conditions; the outcome was never in doubt.  No turkey. We got soaked -inside out from the rain and inside out due to the exercise of walking up and down the Huntingdon County's steep ridges.

After that slow start, we packed up and changed locations just as the weather decided to make a change too.   Clearing skies and a stiff breeze began to dry the woods and our clothing.

When we got out of the truck at our second location and started to climb the ridge, we spotted a large flock of turkey crossing the power line about 100 yards above us.  To keep from spooking the birds, we stopped and waited until the flock had finished crossing the power line and had disappeared into the woods.

Neither of us said a word.  We knew what had to be done. Two gray haired "old turkeys" had to sprint uphill, catch up to the flock, and try to scatter them.  I took the lead and after much wheezing and coughing, I managed to get close enough to throw the whole flock into a state of shock.  The stiff breeze, leaves blowing, my wheezing, and a shot fired into the air did the trick.  Turkeys flew and ran in every direction.

To continue reading this story click here: http://storytrax.com/node/1059

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: