DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
  • Reward points: 0
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/09 21:52:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

It doesnt make one bit of diff. if they are getting $$$ out of any one particular well.

They are getting $$$ from plenty of wells the totals thus far i believe were posted more than once, and it is soon to be a helluva lot more. Thats not even debatable. These things are fact.

But I believe the original line of conversation about the gas wells was wether or not it was pgc contracts doing the drilling Etc. and disrupting during deer season some were experiencing. That i cant answer.

on the sunday before the opener on SGL 45 the company that operates the wells, checked on the wells and when driving out, locked the main gate and come 5am monday alot of hunters were ****ed that the gate was locked and they couldnt get back the access lane....the local WCO came later on, but it really some screwed hunters at first light
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/10 00:06:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: psu_fish

ORIGINAL: wayne c

It doesnt make one bit of diff. if they are getting $$$ out of any one particular well.

They are getting $$$ from plenty of wells the totals thus far i believe were posted more than once, and it is soon to be a helluva lot more. Thats not even debatable. These things are fact.

But I believe the original line of conversation about the gas wells was wether or not it was pgc contracts doing the drilling Etc. and disrupting during deer season some were experiencing. That i cant answer.

on the sunday before the opener on SGL 45 the company that operates the wells, checked on the wells and when driving out, locked the main gate and come 5am monday alot of hunters were ****ed that the gate was locked and they couldnt get back the access lane....the local WCO came later on, but it really some screwed hunters at first light

When they used to check the wells where I hunt, they would leave the gate open while checking and then lock it behind them when they left.  Jus think how miffed the guys were that drove through the open gate (although they had no permission to do so) only to find it lock upon their attempted exit.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
grt0404
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 10:39:59 (permalink)
well with the gun season over i saw a total of 8 deer in the big woods of wmu 2g. not many hunters in the areas that i hunted. very disapointing season for me
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 11:26:19 (permalink)
I saw 32 deer, while hunting, between 2B where I live and 2E where I hunted for a couple days. Harvested 2 doe and a buck. A great hunting season, with another month of antlerless after christmas opening up down here.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
psu_fish
Pro Angler
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 14:38:36 (permalink)
Saw 9 and took a doe.....of the 9, 7 were does and 2 button bucks

Hunted 4 days...2f and 2d some public and some private in both
post edited by psu_fish - 2010/12/12 14:39:27
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 17:09:13 (permalink)
If the folks on here complaining about deer numbers put as much energy into preseason scouting as they do whining, they just might see more deer. I for one think this state has great deer hunting  [ notice I said hunting, not shooting ]. I deer hunt in 3 or 4 states each year, so I think Im a decent judge of hunting opportunities we have in PA.  I certainlly agree the deer numbers are less than years past, but what is wrong with having to get off your duff and actually hunt. Im no Jim Bridger physically [ probably more like John Candy] , but have no problem locating deer and hunting them, sometimes successfully, no matter how far the walk. Deer hunting in PA before HR presented about as much challenge as steelhead fishing in the tribs do today. Guess the point Im trying to make is, be thankful for what we have, there is more public huntng access in PA than any other state I hunt, The deer Ive shot in the areas I hunt are definitely the healthiest and fattest Ive seen in 34 years of living and hunting here and to end this , I certainly hope the PGC doesnt give in to the whining of those who want things to be they way they were in years past
psu_fish
Pro Angler
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 17:19:10 (permalink)
what states do you hunt?
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 18:05:25 (permalink)
If the folks on here complaining about deer numbers put as much energy into preseason scouting as they do whining, they just might see more deer. I for one think this state has great deer hunting [ notice I said hunting, not shooting ]. I deer hunt in 3 or 4 states each year, so I think Im a decent judge of hunting opportunities we have in PA. I certainlly agree the deer numbers are less than years past, but what is wrong with having to get off your duff and actually hunt. Im no Jim Bridger physically [ probably more like John Candy] , but have no problem locating deer and hunting them, sometimes successfully, no matter how far the walk. Deer hunting in PA before HR presented about as much challenge as steelhead fishing in the tribs do today. Guess the point Im trying to make is, be thankful for what we have, there is more public huntng access in PA than any other state I hunt, The deer Ive shot in the areas I hunt are definitely the healthiest and fattest Ive seen in 34 years of living and hunting here and to end this , I certainly hope the PGC doesnt give in to the whining of those who want things to be they way they were in years past

Um, ok. Thank you Gary Alt for your part in hosing the sportsmen of Pa, Thank you Rosenberry for taking over once Alt tucked tail and ran, and for keeping us bent over the barrel to this day, thank you to the handful of environmentalist extremists spoken of by John Eveland for dictating the management that is permitting modern day low deer numbers and 50 year low buck harvests to be "the norm" and at least allowing some deer to exist, Thank you Mr. Roe, Dubrock & other upper staff who have decided to push for a "pro contraception" approach to deer management and clearly being integral parts of the "backbone" of the radical and nonhunter friendly policies of today, and thank you for being so thoughtful to the feelings and needs of the states hunters and holding us all in such high regard. Thank you past and present boc for carrying out the will of the obtuse instead of taking the middle road, and listening to reason. Bless you all and have a Merry Christmas!

post edited by wayne c - 2010/12/12 18:12:55
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 19:45:21 (permalink)
Deer hunting in PA before HR presented about as much challenge as steelhead fishing in the tribs do today.

If that's the case then kindly explain why the buck kill prior to HR never exceeded 22%. Also, I too would like to know which states you have hunted that you are comparing to PA.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 19:49:01 (permalink)
I certainly hope the PGC doesnt give in to the whining of those who want things to be they way they were in years past

You mean like the year 2000 when we harvested more than 200,000 bucks and put more in the record books than any year since.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/12 20:55:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

I certainly hope the PGC doesnt give in to the whining of those who want things to be they way they were in years past

You mean like the year 2000 when we harvested more than 200,000 bucks and put more in the record books than any year since.

shhhh, S-10 dont use facts on the AR lackeys
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/13 08:58:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

I saw 32 deer, while hunting, between 2B where I live and 2E where I hunted for a couple days. Harvested 2 doe and a buck. A great hunting season, with another month of antlerless after christmas opening up down here.

I have hunted what is now 2e for most of my hunting years (almost 40).  What you expereinced would have been an okay MORNING, not season, in the past in 2e.

"You don't know what you got til its gone."  I believe is appropriate.

I rifle hunted 6 times this season in three different locations -- twice each  -- for a total of 28 hours.  I saw 24 deer -- none of them antlered (there were three BB's that I know of -- unfortunately shot one in error).  11 of those 24 antlerless deer came on the first day, so 46% of the deer were not legal targets.

I consider one caught fish per hour (not pan fish or saltwater fish) an okay average, so I guess extrapolating that to deer hunting as it is today means that the herd levels at the spots I hunt are approaching okay hunting again.  

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/13 10:08:52 (permalink)
I never hunted 2E in its heyday. This was my first (hopefully of many) trips to an area hunted by my fiance's father for 40 years or so. Hunting pressure was extremely low, even on the first day of doe. 5 people, other than our 4, hunting the area we were in. We were the only ones there by 11am, and this is on public property off a dead-end parking area. My fiance's father remembers the entire openeing week of buck having 15-20 cars at the area we parked at. I know its a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" argument, but I can't help but wonder if we would've seen more deer if there would've been more people hunting.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/13 11:21:01 (permalink)
You would probably have seen the same deer more times as we did before AR/HR before we lost a quarter million deer hunters but seeing more different deer may be another story. Don't forget, before HR the same number of doe got bounced around for two weeks and were seen many times by many hunters before being shot. Now the first hunter they see may take them out.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: