Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
grt0404
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/05 17:29:46 (permalink)

DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA

I FOR ONE AM FED UP WITH THE DEER MANAGEMENT PRACTICES IN PA.THESE DMU IN MY EYES DON`T SEEM TO BE WORKING. I HUNT IN THE 2G EASTERN ELK CO. AND THE DEER POPULATION HAS NOT GOTTEN ANY BETTER, IF ANYTHING IT HAS GOT WORSE. YES THE GAME COMMISSION HAS CUT THE DOE PERMITS BUT DCNR HAS RAISED THE DMAP PERMITS. HOW DOES THAT WORK? YOU TY TO ELIMINATE SOME LICENSES TO REDUCE THE KILLON THE DOES BUT DCNR RAISES THE DMAP PERMITS, MAKES NO SENCE TO ME. ALL THE GAME COMMISSION AND DCNR ARE WORRIED ABOUT IS TAKING YOUR MONEY FOR THE REVINUE AND DON`T GIVE A DAM ABOUT THE DEER POPULATION. THEY WANT THE MONEY FROM TIMBER SALES AND THE GAS UNDER THE GROUND. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HAD YOUR HUNTING AREAS DISRUPTED BY THE GAS DRILLING? I THINK ITS TIME OR THE SPORTSMEN TO TAKE A STAND AND REFUSE TO BUY A HUNTING LICENSE. WHEN THE GAME COMMISSION DOSEN`T HAVE THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF REVINUE BECAUSE OF THIS MAYBE THEY WILL START TO LISTEN TO US. I`VE HUNTED THE SAME AREA FOR 35 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THE POPULATION OF DEER THIS BAD, I SAW 3 DOE THE FIRST DAY AT 7AM AND HAVEN`T SEENANOTHER DEER SINCE. AND WHATS UP WITH THIER STUDY NOT LETTING THE HOLDERS OF DOE PERMITS SHOOT A DOE BUT IF YOU HAVE A DMAP PERMIT YOU CAN . WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP. I HELD OFF BUYING A HUNTING LICENSE UNTIL 3 WEEKS BEFORE DEER SEASON BECAUSE OF THESE FEELINGS I HAVE ONLY BUYING A LICENSE PRIMARLLY TO HUNT S****LS. NEXT YEAR I WON`T BE BUYING A LICENSE LETS HEAR THE VIEWS OF MY FELLOW SPORTSMEN FOR OR AGAINST. THANKS FOR LOOKING

73 Replies Related Threads

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 19:07:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: grt0404

I THINK ITS TIME OR THE SPORTSMEN TO TAKE A STAND AND REFUSE TO BUY A HUNTING LICENSE.

A quarter of a million have done just that.  Hop aboard.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 19:09:05 (permalink)
    Very few deer went through check station at The Willows in Coryden  Township near Willow Bay on first day.
    I also have not see many deer on vehicles in Bradford.
    Years ago it would almost look like a parade leaving Marshburgh with at least 1 deer on every vehicle.

Now I see more deer in Pittsburgh around my house 2 miles south of Liberty Tunnel

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 19:27:55 (permalink)
    brookline deer!!

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 19:37:42 (permalink)
    Subsurface rights trump surface rights. A great deal of public hunting areas have mineral rights owned by a private firm. The owner of the mineral rights can drill there, public hunting area or not. It has NOTHING to do with the owner of the surafce rights.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 19:48:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Subsurface rights trump surface rights. A great deal of public hunting areas have mineral rights owned by a private firm. The owner of the mineral rights can drill there, public hunting area or not. It has NOTHING to do with the owner of the surafce rights.

Dannic Energy Corporation out of Indiana has several shallow medina wells on SGL 45. But the PGC has done a couple clear cuts as well since AR came in. Down in the creek bottom there is ton of black cherry just waiting to be cut.....

My guess is the PGC seeks out properties without mineral rights, b/c its cheaper for them to acquire, but idk for sure
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 20:27:54 (permalink)
    By purchasing your license you are telling the PGC that you agree enough with their policies to support them. If you don't like what is going on, DO NOT buy a license.

PA hunters are becoming worse than 10 year old girls in the whining department....
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 20:39:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: grt0404

I FOR ONE AM FED UP WITH THE DEER MANAGEMENT PRACTICES IN PA.THESE DMU IN MY EYES DON`T SEEM TO BE WORKING. I HUNT IN THE 2G EASTERN ELK CO. AND THE DEER POPULATION HAS NOT GOTTEN ANY BETTER, IF ANYTHING IT HAS GOT WORSE. YES THE GAME COMMISSION HAS CUT THE DOE PERMITS BUT DCNR HAS RAISED THE DMAP PERMITS. HOW DOES THAT WORK? YOU TY TO ELIMINATE SOME LICENSES TO REDUCE THE KILLON THE DOES BUT DCNR RAISES THE DMAP PERMITS, MAKES NO SENCE TO ME. ALL THE GAME COMMISSION AND DCNR ARE WORRIED ABOUT IS TAKING YOUR MONEY FOR THE REVINUE AND DON`T GIVE A DAM ABOUT THE DEER POPULATION. THEY WANT THE MONEY FROM TIMBER SALES AND THE GAS UNDER THE GROUND. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HAD YOUR HUNTING AREAS DISRUPTED BY THE GAS DRILLING? I THINK ITS TIME OR THE SPORTSMEN TO TAKE A STAND AND REFUSE TO BUY A HUNTING LICENSE. WHEN THE GAME COMMISSION DOSEN`T HAVE THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF REVINUE BECAUSE OF THIS MAYBE THEY WILL START TO LISTEN TO US. I`VE HUNTED THE SAME AREA FOR 35 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THE POPULATION OF DEER THIS BAD, I SAW 3 DOE THE FIRST DAY AT 7AM AND HAVEN`T SEENANOTHER DEER SINCE. AND WHATS UP WITH THIER STUDY NOT LETTING THE HOLDERS OF DOE PERMITS SHOOT A DOE BUT IF YOU HAVE A DMAP PERMIT YOU CAN . WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP. I HELD OFF BUYING A HUNTING LICENSE UNTIL 3 WEEKS BEFORE DEER SEASON BECAUSE OF THESE FEELINGS I HAVE ONLY BUYING A LICENSE PRIMARLLY TO HUNT S****LS. NEXT YEAR I WON`T BE BUYING A LICENSE LETS HEAR THE VIEWS OF MY FELLOW SPORTSMEN FOR OR AGAINST. THANKS FOR LOOKING

First of all I too have been spending time working in unit 2G. There are so few hunters in my patrol areas of unit 2G the deer don’t even know they are being hunted. I put on 175 miles yesterday, the first day hunters could shot an antlerless deer outside of a DMAP unit when properly permitted, and I saw darn few hunters, no antlerless deer killed or even though there was snow on the ground not even one drag mark in the snow. I saw miles and miles of area with not one set of man tracks on it. It has been like that for years, so just who is killing all those deer that you think are being over harvested.

You are correct that the number of antlerless license allocated for unit 2G was cut. It was cut from 6.32 license to 3.70 antlerless license per square mile. That compares to 9.19 licenses per square in unit 2F, the second lowest allocation per square mile, and 5C with 56.21 and 2B with 49.90 licenses per square mile.

You are incorrect about DCNR increasing the number of DMAP permits. The number of DMAP this year is the same as last year. They reduced the antlerless allocation to account for the number of DMAP permits issued last year so the antlerless harvest this year will most certainly be much lower than last year’s already dismally low antlerless harvest of only 1.02 antlerless deer harvested per square mile in unit 2G.

Last year the hunters in unit 2G only harvested 8 out of each 100 collared does that were being tracked and monitored throughout the season. How could anyone think it is hunters depressing the deer populations when that is all the more does they are harvesting?

The Game Commission does not own the mineral rights under most of the game lands so there is nothing they can do to stop or even slow down the gas drilling.

When enough hunters quit supporting wildlife management, with their hunting license dollars, and wildlife management can’t be adequately funded then the funding will simply come from other sources, whether it is general tax dollars or other funding avenues. Wildlife management is important to ALL members of the public, not just hunters, so when the day comes hunters fail to provide the funding someone else will.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 20:49:55 (permalink)
    RSB: You're right on about the numbers of hunters. We, a hunting group of 4, spent Friday and Saturday hunting in 2E. We hunted a piece of public land with ample parking. We each saw between 6 and 12 deer each day. Saturday was the first day of Doe and our group of 4 were the ONLY people hunting the valley after 11am. Before that, there were two other small groups that hunted for a couple hours then left. Saturday I harvested a buck, saw another shooter buck, and a group of does, all before 8:30. I couldn't believe there weren't people in the woods.

OHWM
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 22:05:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

By purchasing your license you are telling the PGC that you agree enough with their policies to support them.

I buy a license because it is a required tax to go hunting.  That's it. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 22:36:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tull66

By purchasing your license you are telling the PGC that you agree enough with their policies to support them.

I buy a license because it is a required tax to go hunting.  That's it. 

Yup, that pretty much sums it up
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 22:50:52 (permalink)
    You can slice it any way you like, but the fact remains that purchasing a license is supporting the PGC. That is about the only means you, as an individual has to cast your vote, whether you like it or not.

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/12/05 22:52:42
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 23:03:08 (permalink)

You can slice it any way you like, but the fact remains that purchasing a license is supporting the PGC. That is about the only means you, as an individual has to cast your vote, whether you like it or not.

I disagree, but that will only open up more can of worms.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 23:06:29 (permalink)
    Let's hear it.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/05 23:34:29 (permalink)
    If you want to hunt, you have to buy a license from them. Its a tax to justify their existence. Ownership of natural resources gets complicated under PA constitution.

Buying a license does not equal support in any way shape or form
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 01:44:49 (permalink)
    "You can slice it any way you like, but the fact remains that purchasing a license is supporting the PGC. That is about the only means you, as an individual has to cast your vote, whether you like it or not."

100% untrue. The way to "cast your vote" is to do it the very way the system was put in place to do it. Legislators are appointed with oversight. Contact your elected LEGISLATORS and demand that something be done. It took legislative action to put the agency into place in the first place and for its continued existence. Thats also what it takes for "change".

Contact the appropriate legislators, Monitor their response and encourage others to do the same. Many have been doing that, and is one of the main reasons our situation isnt far worse than it already is. The political pressure applied does have an effect. It may not get us all exactly what we want when we want it, but it is the only route to take in dealing with pgc mismanagement period. It the only reason theyve made the meager cuts that they have recently period.

If certain legislators clearly remain defiant and support the enviro agenda, then be vocal about them, vote accordingly and ask that others do the same and get the joker out of office.

Pgc/enviromentalists can testify to the effectiveness after having lost one of their environmental/antideer champions, a high ranking rung in their support system who sat on the legislative budget & finance committe and game & fisheries... whom theyve leaned on time and again to get things done towards their agenda... Rep Levdansky. Taken out by the voting sportsmen of the district. After having served decades and thought to be one of the entrenched "untouchable" good ol' boys. Right about now though, im guessin' he's sorry to have ever messed with the sportsmen of this state.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/12/06 01:54:24
    phishon
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 02:07:45 (permalink)
    RSB,

I remember when Gary Alt first introduced the new regulations to reduce the herd and implement antler restriction, he stated that once there was a healthy 2:1 doe:buck ratio; then the PGC would start building the herd back up.
    I believe that the herd has been reduced because of large deer harvests 5-8 years ago.  While you may have a different opinion on this matter; it is hard to argue against that the herd has been significantly reduced in the 2G/2F area.
    This has led to many hunters getting discouraged from not seeing deer and therefore not hunting as much, or not at all.
    It is very difficult to keep the attention of young hunters when they do not see any deer.  Many young Pennsylvanians are not picking up their guns and bows this fall because there are very few deer in the woods for them to shoot.
    This has been said many times before but it would be in the best interest of the commonwealth to eliminate doe season in these areas till the deer numbers have rebounded.
    When the deer herd returns, so will the hunters.

One more question for yeh.  Are the gas drillers required to reclaim the disturbed land with vegetation that is advantageous to wildlife?  If so what species? 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 06:46:39 (permalink)
    When enough hunters quit supporting wildlife management, with their hunting license dollars, and wildlife management can’t be adequately funded then the funding will simply come from other sources,

And that's exactly what the Audubon and other enviromental groups were pushing to have happen since the 90's. The PGC, with the Audubons pressure and help knowingly put practices in place to discourage hunters causing them to drop out so that funding would have to be assumed by non hunters or anti hunters. The issue is control of the state and national forests and state game lands. The result so far is the loss of approx a quarter million deer hunters. To blame hunters for reacting to herd reduction as was predicted in the beginning is merely another attempt to deflect putting the blame where it belongs. The PGC made the rules, the PGC allowed for the overkill, and the PGC is responsible for the lack of funding. The only possible way to reverse it at this point is through the politicans.
    post edited by S-10 - 2010/12/06 06:47:54
    grt0404
    New Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 13:25:18 (permalink)
    i agree with stopping the doe season or cutting it back. lets go back to how it was years ago with the harvest of one deer, either a buck or a doe. another option would be to manage the dmu`s in the nc region a different way have i week of buck only and 2 days of doe. or one week of buck and no doe for a few years and see how the population comes back. when the numbers come back up limit the doe permits. these are just a few ideas that have been discussed with myself and a few other people, i don`t have all the answers but i think there has to be a different approch to manageing the deer herd. remember that the deer are hunted from oct. through early january with a few week break aftre the rifle season.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 13:32:30 (permalink)
    "The Game Commission does not own the mineral rights under most of the game lands so there is nothing they can do to stop or even slow down the gas drilling."

Thats completely and totally false and you know it, or SHOULD know it if you intend to enlighten the public about pgc affairs. According to Carl Roe, your Executive director, Pgc owns OVER HALF of the mineral rights in the Marcellus zone. And according to former commissioner Palone, they own rights on "around 500,000" acres of the total 961,000 that fall in the Marcellus zone which are the only lands effected by potential marcellus drilling....and yes, over half qualifies as "most". Thats alot of acres, and thats alot of cabbage that gonna come from it.

"When enough hunters quit supporting wildlife management, with their hunting license dollars, and wildlife management can’t be adequately funded then the funding will simply come from other sources, whether it is general tax dollars or other funding avenues."

Thats exactly what the extremists are banking on, and thats definately part of the environmentalist derived "plan". But with a responsible and trustworthy agency in place (something we do not have currently), there is no reason why, with one of the highest numbers of hunters in the nation and all the resources that provided funding on our gamelands... There is no reason why the agency couldnt remain "independent", and hunter funded long into the foreseeable future with no problems. Unfortunately that doesnt mesh very well with those with obtuse goals that would like to see hunter voice taken out of the equation.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/12/06 13:41:47
    grt0404
    New Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 13:33:22 (permalink)
    esox hunter i sure that everyone that buys a hunting license dosen`t agree with the the game commission on thier deer management practices and would you say that when the pgc had thier meetings around the state to hear the comments from the hunting public that all these people were whining. i don`t think so people are frustrated by the management of the deer herd and whant something done to build the herd back up. with the lack of deer area businesses have been hurt by hunters not comming to the north central part of the state to hunt and spend hundred of thousands of dollars helping the local economy
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 14:18:03 (permalink)
    Wayne: So since the PGC owns the mineral rights on half their land and you see drilling on some areas of PGC land that automatically means that its the half of land that the pgc owns the rights to and are selling for profit?

OHWM
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 14:38:13 (permalink)
    Pgc owns more than 961k acres. But thats approx how many fall in the area for potential drilling. Of that amount, as i stated pgc owns the rights on half. And as stated, thats a helluva lot of acreage, a helluva lot of cash, and counter to what rsb claimed, pgc would control over half of the drilling activity on those lands.

Frankly i dont care if its them or someone else doing the drilling that some are "seeing", although i great doubt that all activity by pgc contracts has been ceased. I also dont think it matters alot to the hunters who have their favorite spots converted into a rig pad, whether its during the season or 3 months after it.

But it doesnt really matter, as I was pointing out that RSB's statement was completely misleading and false in regards to the amount of rights controlled by pgc. Nothing more or nothing less was implied. Because the ramifications go much deeper than simply whether they are drilling some of the wells during deer season or not. The funding issue comes to mind. The same poor little pgc only owns a little bit of the pie has come up often in discussions, usually in regards to their cash flow. And as ive said its complete falsehood. Their set to make a friggin mint.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/12/06 14:51:25
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 15:18:36 (permalink)
    Seems to me that I had said this all along . I was accused of bashing the gameless commission and being a hater. Wake up guys. The PGC is money hungry and will stop at nothing. Good post !
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 15:32:42 (permalink)
    Wayne: So since the PGC owns the mineral rights on half their land and you see drilling on some areas of PGC land that automatically means that its the half of land that the pgc owns the rights to and are selling for profit?

Go on the net to== Legislative Budget and Finance Committee--- scroll down to Game and Fisheries, and click on the second report which is(Examination of Current and Future Cost and Revenues from Forest Products and Gas, Oil, and Mineral Extraction on Pennsylvania Game Commission Lands) It's a 222 page report that covers all you need to know about their finances.
    post edited by S-10 - 2010/12/06 15:41:40
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 16:15:23 (permalink)
    All that report says is that it is POSSIBLE for OGM to be an increased source of funding, into the billions in the long run. Not that it is, or that it will be.

OHWM
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 16:24:16 (permalink)
    It doesnt make a bit of difference if they realize the prediction down to the nearest dime or not. Fact that is indisputable is that they WILL be raking in a helluva lot of cash in the very near future. In fact, while its only the tip of the iceberg, their current recent increase in gas funding isnt exactly anything to sneeze at!

They would also like the license fee increase, since it would probably have been the last theyd have gotten for a long time considering the gas cash influx. Tried to get one more in while they could apparently. Despite the fact theyd known of this coming "windfall" for some time now.

They want all they can get stockpiled into the general fund, before taking the program into the next phase of reduction. The longer they can go between asking for legislator approved fee increases, the longer they can sustain a reduced deer herd without needing to cave in to hunter and legislator demands for more deer.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/12/06 16:48:19
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 16:50:44 (permalink)
    i also hunt in 2G and did not see many deer, but then again i did not see many huntes.  without hunters to push the deer. in the big woods, you do not see many deer.  the week before, during bear season, my BIL hunted the same area and saw 30 deeer with 2 being big buck, 18"+ spread.  this has happened the past several yeaqrs. i see a few doe 1st day, the reason i think , is there are more bear hunters than deer hunters now a days.  i see the sign, the trails, droppings, rubs, scrapes but not deer.  so they are there but they do not move around much.  and i know hunters are not sooting them.  i'm not sure what the poaching situation is like but i bet there are a few being taken off-hours.  i come home to southern butler county and see 3-4 times as many hunters and 3-4 times as many deer and many more deer being killed.  a coincidence, i doubt it.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 17:07:17 (permalink)
    I dont think hunters moving deer around would be the primary factor when it comes to the difference in seeing deer when comparing 2g to butler. WHile it definately can effect sitings, even with more pressure in 2g, you wouldnt generally see on average anywhere near the deer as in the sra counties to the south.

You have a higher carry capacity of the habitat in butler, you have more off limits lands that act as deer factories, whereas a huge majority of 2g is huntable lands that can be efficiently harvest, and had been during the high hunter numbers days in the past.

Also, when you have hunters reduce a deer herd to very low levels, as is the case in most of 2g at around 10 dpsm, it doesnt take much hunting pressure or predation + natural mort. etc. to keep it low.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/12/06 17:11:01
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: DEER MANAGEMENT IN PA 2010/12/06 19:30:21 (permalink)
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/12/06 19:35:13
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: