What goes around>

Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/23 02:40:18 (permalink)

What goes around>

Gentlemen, As I was sitting in my "man cave" cleaning a few old reels I noticed something that gave me a bit of a pause. Back in the "good ol days" most fishing and Fly fishing lines were made out of braided silk, usually impregnated by some substance but still a braided line. In the early days a braided line coated with wax or grease to make it more waterproof and bouyant.
Then I picked up a new reel and I noticed. The latest thing is braided line, usually coated with something. Hmmmm. Did granpap know how to solve a problem or not? Going to have to break out some of the old line I have down here for at least 1 brookie this year.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

11 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 07:11:04 (permalink)
    A few companies are still making silk lines.
    Orvis has those braided nylon leaders which turn over quite well.
    One big advantage silk had over plastic is it's thin diameter.
    Now, if it just wasn't so,,,, high maintenance...and floated better.

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 08:54:24 (permalink)
    braided core lines never went away, and in fact, have been the most popular lines for a long, long time. Some companies have developed solid mono core lines, but they typically suck in cold water, but perform very well in tropical situations.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 09:12:20 (permalink)
    A few years ago I saw an exhibit of old fishing gear from Asia. There were many types of silk line woven together like thin cord. The most interesting were the small minnow lures, made out of some sort of metal and adorned with precious stones to shimmer and reflect light. One lure might have two dozen set stones, like a piece of jewelry...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 10:13:12 (permalink)
    dano

i don't know if thin was an advantage.  thinner means more dense and therefore it would not float as well.  also with a thicker line, you have more surface area which would increase the surface tension and again help the line float better.  but again in the old days of silk lines, most of the fishing was done with nymphs and wet flies so a floating line was not beneficial.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 11:09:13 (permalink)
    Thin is a casting advantage.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 11:30:03 (permalink)
    only if you're casting for distance
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 11:55:58 (permalink)
    It has helped me on small streams as well...seems to let the line bend more, for tighter loops. Also seems to have less drag in the water and mend easier than a thicker line.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 14:43:41 (permalink)
    perhaps it is more a function of silk being more supple than thinner.  with having less drag do you mean when nymph/streamer fishing or with dries
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 16:16:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

dano

i don't know if thin was an advantage.  thinner means more dense and therefore it would not float as well.  also with a thicker line, you have more surface area which would increase the surface tension and again help the line float better.  but again in the old days of silk lines, most of the fishing was done with nymphs and wet flies so a floating line was not beneficial.

Agree as I concluded my first post by stating: 

ORIGINAL: dano
    Now, if it just wasn't so,,,, high maintenance...and floated better.

Thin does cut through the wind and goes through guides better. And thin can equate to  more stealth.
    Also, there were quite a few dry fly addicts back then. Marinaro and Fox come to mind.
    Of course there were many drawbacks to silk as you had to battle tackiness in the heat and also, drying time once the line became water logged. Back then, once the line became saturated, anglers would either reverse their double taper line or carry a spare spool. mildew and rot were issues.
    Now, the one I tried came off the tip of my rod with ease but I could never get used to that whoosh noise as it sings through the air. And of course, the high maitenannce.
    post edited by dano - 2010/11/23 16:19:43
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 16:31:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RIZ

perhaps it is more a function of silk being more supple than thinner.  with having less drag do you mean when nymph/streamer fishing or with dries

Either, and my experience is with a thinner modern line, not silk.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: What goes around> 2010/11/23 17:22:07 (permalink)
    I love the OLLLLDDD silk that you have to treat with mucelage. If you put that stuff on a 7 ft 3 wt bamboo it's like casting glass. But very high maint. Must wash in mild soapy water, dry in a warm dry place with open loops so no moisture gets in the coils and then re-treat, and store in a line pack till ready to use.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: