tippet

Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/27 22:15:51 (permalink)

tippet

ok another newbie question since the search button doesnt work.

do you need a tippet if you have a tapered leader?

I was looking a fly rigs and the one I saw said to use 7.5 foot leader than 24 to 30 inches of tippet tied to the leader via surgeon's knot. To me is seems counter productive ???

6 Replies Related Threads

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: tippet 2010/10/27 22:21:16 (permalink)
    You don't HAVE to, but the section of a tapered leader that is the X-rating listed on the package is only about 18 inches long, so as a day goes you use up that 18 inches and then need to attach tippet or have a heavier leader. Or, say you're fishing with 3x (good for size 8, 6, 4) flies, but decide to use a size 18 fly. You then need to bring that 3x down to a size more fitting to a size 18 fly, like 5x. Maybe you buy mono leaders and then attach flouro tippet as a way to save money. Start with a 9 foot leader of the X-rating you expect to need based on the flies you want to use and the fish, and go from there.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: tippet 2010/10/28 08:13:58 (permalink)
     what SonofZ3 said.

i usualy only use a full 9' tapered leader for dry fly fishing with light X factor. that way there are no knots (weakest points) in my leader/tippet.
    generaly for nymph or streamer fishing i'll start with a 7' 1/2" tapered leader. much easier roll casting 7' 1/2" of tapered leader than 9'. to this i'll add tippet as needed. also the tapered leader i use is almost always mono. i'll add flouro if needed to this.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: tippet 2010/10/28 10:04:55 (permalink)
    psu_fish: When I started fly fishing I had a hard time making the correlation between fly size and tippet size. An old head taught me that a real simple way to know what size leader/tippet to use is to take your fly size, divide it by 3, and use that size of tippet. Size 12 dry fly- 4x tippet. Size 10 streamer- 3x. Size 18 dry fly-6x. Now, theres leeway to that too. a Size 6 is fine on 3x, a size 20 is ok on 6x, but the divide by three method is a good way to get your bearings at first.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: tippet 2010/10/28 10:54:35 (permalink)
    thanks for the info. I got my rig set and will be going over to North Fork Creek in Brookville to give it whirl before going to Erie sans noodle rod and reel
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: tippet 2010/10/28 11:07:14 (permalink)
    I never took the divide by 3 rule very seriously except for fishing dries. I suppose as a VERY general guide for sub surface fishing it may have some merit.

When I am fishing streamers I am generally targeting bigger fish and visibility of the tippet means nothing in that case. I won't touch anything smaller than 2x for #10-12 streamers, and for anything larger than that I will use 1x or heavier. It takes a good bit of force to bury a #4 hook. I have learned the hard way why it is a bad idea to go too light when fishing big streamers.

When I am nymphing for steel, I mainly use 4x but if conditions permit I will use 3x. This is for all flies from #8-18. I let water conditions and fish size dictate the tippet I use for the most part.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: tippet 2010/10/31 15:41:45 (permalink)
    psu_fish,

The knotless tapered leaders are made with the tippet built in. There's no need to add tippet to them at first. You can tie your fly directly to the end without adding any tippet. Once you use the leader for a while and you break off a few times, or the leader feels frayed from rocks or shot, then you can snip that section off, and add new tippet to repair the leader.

I'm withe esox on ignoring the "divide by 3 rule". Base your tippet and leader selection on conditions. There are times you will need a thicker tippet to stop big dry flies from twisting you leader when casting, or to turn over a lot of weight, but those scenarios are the exception and not the rule.
    Jump to: