Frustrated

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/10 21:36:50 (permalink)

Frustrated

Alright, I've gone back over the threads on the "info on steelhead fishing" again, and with that info in mind, I pose the following info to you for help:

Just when I thought I was "getting" the fly rod, today I had what I felt was a lousy day. I could not get my fly to go where I wanted it to go, do what I wanted it to do, and by day's end, I was admittedly FRUSTRATED.

Problem one: Fast water: could not get my fly down. I'll wait for the one-liners...I had my split shots (BB and B) spaced anywhere from 12-14" above the fly, sometimes lower, and anywhere from 6-12" from each other. Indicator set at 1-1.5 depth of water. Fly (egg pattern) consistently blew through the creek, fly line would go under, indicator (twist-on) would blow through the stream. Very rarely could I get a "dead drift." I tried everything I could think of, including lengthening my leader. Sometimes I'd get a decent drift, but it was far from consistent.

Second: Rather similar to the first issue, with wooly buggers. I could not get them down. I was always going right over the fish; could not get them to swing in front of them. And again, the line got sucked down with the fly.

I swear I heard those fish laughing at me today. And while it still beat a good day at work, by the time I made it home, I was beyond aggravated...still am. So if any of you gurus can decipher my problems and offer up some suggestions, God bless you and the beer's on me next time I'm up.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

22 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/10 21:54:41 (permalink)
    Try a tuck cast. It will dramatically help your flies get down more quickly.

Weighted/beaded flies will also help. Most buggers you can buy at the stores are not weighted; I prefer to tie them with both a bead and lead. Also, if the buggers are tied with too much marabou and hackle they will be a chore to sink.

This explains the tuck cast better than I ever could:
    Here is the tuck cast in a nutshell the way I understood it and learned it. Position your thumb on the top of the rod. When executing the forward cast, you're thumb and knuckles must end up pointing toward your target. Keep your wrist straight in line with the thumb and bring the cast directly overhead. On the back cast, allow the line to straighten out and then begin your forward cast. The forward cast is a very short but very quick and powerful stroke that stops abruptly at the 10:30 position. This abrupt stop causes the weighted fly to bend under the line and make a powerful, vertical entry into the water. If you do it right, your fly will hit the water first and drive deep before the line lands on the water and creates drag.

Taken from -- http://www.hooked-on-flies.com/fly_fishing_with_nymphs.htm
    tank7791
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/10 22:41:29 (permalink)
    I agree with Exos on what he said. Another thing you can try is high sicking through the fast water (Keep your fly line out of the water and only allow your leader to travel through the water). This will slow your fly down being there is no drag from your fly line. I have done this many times with good results. Hope that helps

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/10 22:53:06 (permalink)
    Throw a upstream mend accordingly to get your fly down to where you want it to be.  Don't be afraid to add more weight, my biggest problem when learning to fly fish...as long as your not constantly snagging bottom or fish, keep adding weight until you get to where you want.  Also try running straight 6lb or 8lb fluro for your leader and then run smaller tippet off that when need be.  When nymphing and roll casting it really doesnt hurt your cast and it will get down a lot faster than a leader...

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/10 23:04:44 (permalink)
    By mending they mean get you fly line behind the fly. If the line leads the fly in fast water it will drag the fly. If you can't get a fly down add/move your weight closer to the head of the fly. I hope you were using floating fly line.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 00:34:33 (permalink)
    Yeah, I was mending up; throwing slack line, everything I could think of to get that fly to run where I wanted to.

As far as the line getting sucked under, is that from the line being too far ahead of the fly? I noticed it happened most often when the line would come off of the fast water and the water seemed to "whirlpool."

LW, you're right about the weight thing. Four split shot later and I couldn't help think, "That's why my float is sinking."

GRRRR!!!

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 01:07:09 (permalink)

I would get rid of the indicator, especially in faster water. Your better off getting the "feel" anyway.

Your weight is way to close to your fly, put it back 3-4 feet. 

As suggested by others, do an upstream cast(very important) and mend, the mend is done after your cast as the line starts coming downstream, you flip(mend) the line so it forms a S on top of the water which gives you the slack line technique as not to cause drag.

At times you mend upstream, at times you mend downstream, depending upon current and flow. Key is to keep slack in the line so your fly can get down, you'll feel the weight ticking the bottom lightly when your right. Once your ticking, try and keep the fly line off the water.

While you have slack in the line keep the rod butt about 6 inches above your shoulder, arm extended out, with the rod following the line. If your line straightens before the swing(strike) just slightly raise the rod tip, do not jerk the rod.

Follow the line with the rod and let it swing until it straightens out, hold on tight thru the swing.

I find that hand tied or tapered leaders cut thru the water with less drag which in turn gets your leader, tippet and fly down easier.

This is one of a various methods. You can use this in combination with other. The high stick'in technique is similar, but you basically keep the fly line off the water as soon as you cast and hold the rod pointed up and a bit higher. This allows the leader and tippet to cut thru the water without any drag.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt
    post edited by OldSalt - 2010/10/11 01:14:42
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 02:23:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mohawksyd

Yeah, I was mending up; throwing slack line, everything I could think of to get that fly to run where I wanted to.

As far as the line getting sucked under, is that from the line being too far ahead of the fly? I noticed it happened most often when the line would come off of the fast water and the water seemed to "whirlpool."

LW, you're right about the weight thing. Four split shot later and I couldn't help think, "That's why my float is sinking."

GRRRR!!!

It takes time, we could sit here and suggest every different technique imaginable but its all about getting a feel for what works for YOU.  It might result in some fishless days experimenting but take what people have suggested and try it, see what you like and what produces fish for you...

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    Bugslinger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 07:21:54 (permalink)
    Ive had the same problems elsewhere and was as frustrated as you are. Buy some lead heads, they usualy come in different lenghts so get a least two\. They are weighted line that is looped so its easy to change out on stream, they go between the flyline and leader. Try a heavy shot right after the lead head if needed. I agree loose the indicators, their noting but a float and will pull the line along with surface tension flow rates. Cast upstream much further than you think you need too, and experiment, go heavy and lighten up, untill your bouncing the bottom. If the waters that high and fast try a croos stream /down stream swing and let the water work for you.

coming down!!!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 11:55:38 (permalink)
    mohawksyd,

I noticed you mentioned putting the indicator 1 - 1.5x the depth of the water. 1x the depth of the water will never cut it when you're nymphing, since the leader between your indicator and flies will always be at an angle. The reason is that the water on the surface is often travelling faster than the water on the bottom of the creek, so your indicator will nearly always be downstream from your flies and shot. Try adding more distance between your flies and the indicator. I usually go anywhere between 1.5 - 2.5x the depth of the water i'm fishing.

I noticed you called the indicator a "float". Don't think of it as a float. When I picture a float, I picture those things the pinners and spinning rod guys use at the manchester hole to float their bait off the bottom. Indicators aren't meant to work that way. If you're using them like a bobber, you're doing it wrong. Think of them as an indicator of a couple things. The most important being your drift. If the indicator is swinging in the current, or going faster downstream than the bubbles on the surface, you need to mend (i'll get to mending later). If you indicator is going faster than the current, it will pull your flies off the bottom, and out of the fishes strike zone.

The second thing an indicator will indicate is if you're having a strike. If the indicator stops, gets pulled under, or to the side, or ticks... set the hook. Don't ever assume it's a rock. The biggest mistake the clients I guide make when nymphing is assuming the indicator stopped because the fly is on a rock. The only way to know which it is, is to set the hook and assume it's a fish.

Now for shot... In most cases, if you're not drifting along the bottom, you're not getting the flies to the fish. You'll want to add enough shot to keep your flies on the bottom throughout most of your drift. The only way to know if you are getting to the bottom is if you're getting stuck occassionally. Once you are getting to the bottom, pay close attention to when you're getting stuck. If it's not til the end of you're drift, maybe add a little shot. If it's happening early in the drift, take a little off. I typically place my shot above my nymphs about 12-14", and space them about a thumb's width apart from each other. Keep in mind that every spot you're going to fish is different, and you should be constantly adjusting the amount of shot you're using.

Now for mending... I didn't feel like typing any more, so I'll just post this article for you to read. Hope it helps.
    http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/monahan_mending.aspx

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 13:19:01 (permalink)
    Lots of different sentiment between the masses as to how far away and how close to keep the shot. In any event, I guess it stand to reason that if you're not on the bottom, that weight will pull the indicator under (and your line) just as much as if you do hang up on the bottom.

Good article, Drake. That's a print and practice tutorial right there. Thank you!

OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 13:47:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

The second thing an indicator will indicate is if you're having a strike. If the indicator stops, gets pulled under, or to the side, or ticks... set the hook. Don't ever assume it's a rock. The biggest mistake the clients I guide make when nymphing is assuming the indicator stopped because the fly is on a rock. The only way to know which it is, is to set the hook and assume it's a fish.

Exactly why I do not use indicators, you lose the feel and touch of feeling the take and knowing it's a fish. Too many fly guy's and beginners just watch the strike indicator, they are not feeling the take thru the line. Yes it works, but IMO it takes something away from the whole fly fishing feeling and connection of you and the fish thru the line.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt
    jfdIII
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 14:52:32 (permalink)
    Tungsten, tungsten, tungsten. A tungsten cone bugger will drop like a rock. All the other suggestions are sagely, though.
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 17:22:03 (permalink)
    Yes, drop like a rock and stay there, very little action compared to other wets.
    jfdIII
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 17:51:57 (permalink)
    Really? No action? Are we looking for action in fast water? I've always been under the impression that in fast water conditions you go for profile and color, rather than action. I could be mistaken though. Although, all the classic bucktail streamers, etc and the fact that Joseph Bates specifically states the above in streamer fly tying and fishing, I still could be mistaken. I thought we were talking about fast water. Now, in slow water, I would opt for next to nothing weight-wise and marabou, arctic fox/runner/temple dog or bunny with a good mend to get it down. Old Salt, not to start a ****ing match at all, I'm just a fan of tungsten.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 18:29:25 (permalink)
    Mohawk: I don't know how long you've been fly fishing, so if you've been at it for a while, and are good at mending just ignore this. The problem with mending is that if your mend is just a little bit too large it pulls your fly up through the water column, too small and it doesn't affect the drift. Your mend really needs to be spot on. Throw in some wind, braided currents, and mending even a 20 foot cast effectively can be a pain. It might be that you just need some more practice at throwing the type of quick mends needed in slightly faster water.

The tuck cast is great advice, and so is the sink tip. I like the RIO 30ft sections of T11 you can buy.  Make a 15, a 10 and a 5 (or any other combination, as long as you have some short, mid, and long) and you'll be covered. 10ft of T11 with a SHORT (2 and a half or 3 foot) leader will get a streamer down great in the erie tribs.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    shortstrike
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 18:41:31 (permalink)
    I've had a lot of luck with something called "xink" it's a little bottle of an oil like liquid,you put 1 or 2 drops on your fly and it drops right to the bottom,you can use it with split shot in fast water so you don't have to use as much shot.It lasts maybe a dozen drifts or so. Got it at gander mountain a few years back.

Even a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work.
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/11 21:51:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jfdIII
    Old Salt, not to start a ****ing match at all, I'm just a fan of tungsten.

No prob.... that's what these forums are for, thy opinion.

OldSalt
    Rickerd
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/12 11:17:02 (permalink)
    If you are going to continue using the indicator, try to fish the indicator in the same "lane" as your fly. Yes the fly must be downstream of your indicator. Keeping the indi in the same lane, means they will drift about the same speed in the water. Check your indi occasionally to keep your fly downstream. This means pull it upstream or mend it to keep it upstream of fly. The water at the bottom usually moves slower than water on top. Your indicator will be moving slower than the water around it.

If you remove the indi, use your floating line end as an indicator, then when you can, follow your leader into the water, where it breaks the surface will be your indicator. Look for any unnatural motions at this point as a strike. I will add when you lose the indi, keep about 12inches of slack in your line. Too much tension and you will impart tension on the fly and it will move up in the water. Too little, and you will not detect strikes. You will be "high stick nymphing" in fast water when you lose the indi. Do a search for this technique and you will find full directions. I love "picking the pockets" with a high stick. You never know what you will find.

Also, have flies in your box made to sink like copper johns, czech nymphs, clausers, eggs made with weight. I use these in faster water mostly since heavy flies in slow water do not move as naturally.

In slower water I recommend the sink tip to keep flies down as others have said.

Let us know how you do,
    Rickerd
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/12 13:30:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: OldSalt

ORIGINAL: thedrake

Exactly why I do not use indicators, you lose the feel and touch of feeling the take and knowing it's a fish. Too many fly guy's and beginners just watch the strike indicator, they are not feeling the take thru the line. Yes it works, but IMO it takes something away from the whole fly fishing feeling and connection of you and the fish thru the line.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt

You're right Old Salt.  I kept telling the Drake on Friday if he would only take that darn indicator off he would have hooked far more that the 40+ steelhead that he did.  But he never listens to me.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/12 14:36:07 (permalink)
    I wonder why he never listens
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/12 15:12:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfishindave

I wonder why he never listens

He's young.  He'll adjust -- LOL. 

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    RE: Frustrated 2010/10/12 23:55:45 (permalink)

You're right Old Salt.  I kept telling the Drake on Friday if he would only take that darn indicator off he would have hooked far more that the 40+ steelhead that he did.  But he never listens to me.

YYEEAAHH, OK, got me.......

OS
    post edited by OldSalt - 2010/10/12 23:56:36
    Jump to: