Trolling... Kicker Setup?

Author
H20Wolf
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/07 09:24:40 (permalink)

Trolling... Kicker Setup?

I picked up a 9.9hp kicker for trolling that I need to get set up soon before my fishing trip. I'm looking for input from those who use extension handles on a tiller or the EZ steer sytem. So far I have only looked at the two styles of handles that cabela's carries. I know the handles will cost much less but would rather fork out a few bucks for a better setup. Thanks for any input!

15 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/07 11:19:13 (permalink)
    I have the EZ steer system on my boat and it works very well, ties my outdrive with the kicker. Do yourself a favor and buy a Troll Master for throttle control, you won't regret it.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/07 12:18:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

I have the EZ steer system on my boat and it works very well, ties my outdrive with the kicker. Do yourself a favor and buy a Troll Master for throttle control, you won't regret it.

+1 million......Those throttles are so touchy and hard to get perfect especially in a chop where you are changing directions and speeds all the time....Troll Master is the way to go for sure...EZ Steer and Garelock Bracket are what you want as well...

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/07 15:40:58 (permalink)
    i use 2 control boxes/cables. 1 for the main and 1 for the kicker. very convenient if you have a console or dont want to use a tiller.

i also have an EZ Steer system which IMO is WAYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced for what it is, but unless you can fabricate something its really the only option to run full throttle. i got mine where you mentioned and (outboard to outboard)and used a coupon that they sent me.

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/07 20:14:54 (permalink)
    If you are going to troll a lot, and can afford it...TR-1 autopilot for kicker.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/07 20:49:21 (permalink)
    I use a tiller setup but it does fine for me . Extension handle 3-5ft runs about $60-$70 .... I could see getting alot more lines set faster with an EZ steer system though .

No matter what route you go remember fishing is supposed to be fun not work so shoot for whatever makes YOU happy . Tight lines <>< <>< <><
    eyegore
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/09 22:09:50 (permalink)
    Tried the tiller but it was too much work.  Went with an EZ steer and it makes trolling sooo much better.  Below is what my set up looks like.

Attached Image(s)

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/09 22:51:08 (permalink)
    doesnt look like an EZ Steer. looks like the auxiliary motor connector rods from cabelas. can you run full speed with that setup without having to disconnect? if so, thats great and a ton cheaper than the EZ Steer. when i looked at that setup i read/was told it shouldnt be run over 5mph.
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/09/09 22:55:34

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/10 07:36:26 (permalink)
    I use the same one in the picture.  I run my kicker at full throttle (10mph with me, about 8 with company), with no issues.  I take it off when running the larger motor.  It takes about 20 seconds to put on and off.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/10 08:47:41 (permalink)
    We used a similar set up on my dad's boat, works great and is real easy to connect/disconnect. My easy steer stays connected all the time. Seriously consider the Troll Master, you'll find that with the tiller or remote controlls it's extremely difficult to hold a constant speed and tiny adjustments are nearly impossible. With the troll master you have a small dial and you can micro adjust your speed easily. One of the best investments I've made on my boat. Just my two cents.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/10 09:32:17 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the responses.  I just got the kicker on the boat for the first toime last night.  The good thing is it fits on the boat without needing a bracket.  The bad thing is I have too much weight in the back with my 60hp 3 batteries and 13gal tank ( which wasn't even close to full).  Its a 10hp merc and pushed me abbout 5 mph.  I was hoping for more and probably can with some adjustments (not sure what yet lol). I only have a week before I go to Canada so I need to figure out if I'm going with a tiller ext or other like ez steer.  Honestly I really don't NEED it and can fool with it more when I get back trying to get it set up right.  It's just a bit harder trolling on my boat cause my outboard is a jet.  At least I can get on the Pa HP restricted lakes now!
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/10 12:59:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Porktown

I use the same one in the picture.  I run my kicker at full throttle (10mph with me, about 8 with company), with no issues.  I take it off when running the larger motor.  It takes about 20 seconds to put on and off.

thanks for the info. i was told when running the main motor over 5mph the rod needs disconnected or the kicker could possibly be tilted up out of the water without disconnecting the rod.
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/09/10 13:00:36

eyegore
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/10 16:31:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: **commander**

doesnt look like an EZ Steer. looks like the auxiliary motor connector rods from cabelas. can you run full speed with that setup without having to disconnect? if so, thats great and a ton cheaper than the EZ Steer. when i looked at that setup i read/was told it shouldnt be run over 5mph.

Yes, I can run full speed but steering both motors at once can be a pain.  When I do, I just lock up the kicker with no issues.  If I'm running some distance, then I just unhook the rod.  And you're right that it's not an EZ.  It is a Panther steering rod.  Just couldn't remember what is was.
    H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/11 13:55:55 (permalink)
    that is the setup we've been discussing since eyegore posted his pic.

H20Wolf
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trolling... Kicker Setup? 2010/09/11 14:36:39 (permalink)
    Thanks... I thought it looked like that one but he said it was the panther system. Looks like the best setup for the price. I wanted use of the steering wheel but didn't want to go $200+ right now. Thanks for the help guys!
    Jump to: