Author
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/29 16:46:39 (permalink)

THEY ARE

Just dumb fish!!!

Best/greatest thing that has ever been stated on this website.

It was originally posted by a loved/hated/banned member of this site. 

Lots of people say they visit this site to learn, I hope they were paying attention.

27 Replies Related Threads

jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/29 17:18:41 (permalink)
    ... there's a little bit of guru in all of us.

quite a shame some of the newer followers of this site don't know who he is.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/29 17:56:07 (permalink)
    hammerin saimen at burts dam....

stRyt ryder

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/29 23:42:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

Just dumb fish!!!
    Lots of people say they visit this site to learn, I hope they were paying attention.

They eat craft yarn duud.....steel r stoopid is the most important thins I learned about fishing for them.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 10:14:01 (permalink)
    I'm searching for smarter fish to katch,,, like maybe dolphin are someting.
    any suggestions???
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 11:02:55 (permalink)
    If they're so dumb, why does everyone have to use small diameter flourocarbon and small hooks, and emphasize the natural drift, etc? Sounds like the same formula for success with wild trout, doesn't it?
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 11:16:47 (permalink)
    Prob.because they have to live 7 months confined in small spaces with a million people slapping everything under the sun at them. I think that would make any fish spooky. sam
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 11:21:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

If they're so dumb, why does everyone have to use small diameter flourocarbon and small hooks, and emphasize the natural drift, etc? Sounds like the same formula for success with wild trout, doesn't it?

Wild trouts are dumb too.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 12:27:25 (permalink)

idk, I fish nothing but dries and emergers to them.  If you can't dead drift a dry fly,  you should just stick to crawlers... or practice more.

I find swinging wet flies to stockies, AT TIMES, more challenging than a prominent iso hatch somewhere.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 15:33:46 (permalink)

Funny you mention that....I have a friend who uses either straight 8lb Berkley Trilene clear or 12lb clear and he slays fish. No flourocarbon, no swivels, no nothing....straight to the hook and he catches more fish than most guys on the streams....except me of course....We fishermen often get brainwashed by the media, advertising and ourselves by thinking theres always something "better" out there etc etc. proper rigging, knowing/reading the water, time and being prepared with a variety of presentations are the keys IMO.....THE FISH ARE CERTAINLY DUMB! Guru nailed it!!

The dumbest of ALL are those little 6" natural brookies and browns halupka catches!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/08/30 15:37:02
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 15:45:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Funny you mention that....I have a friend who uses either straight 8lb Berkley Trilene clear or 12lb clear and he slays fish. No flourocarbon, no swivels, no nothing....straight to the hook and he catches more fish than most guys on the streams....except me of course....We fishermen often get brainwashed by the media, advertising and ourselves by thinking theres always something "better" out there etc etc. proper rigging, knowing/reading the water, time and being prepared with a variety of presentations are the keys IMO.....THE FISH ARE CERTAINLY DUMB! Guru nailed it!!

The dumbest of ALL are those little 6" natural brookies and browns halupka catches!

I don't deny that the freestone wild brooks, browns, and bows I catch are pathetically easy.  That's why you'll never catch me fishing for them with anything but a dry fly.  I don't really fish these places for a challenge from the fish, but rather the terrain in which they are found, and the ability to effectively drop a dry fly from far enough to not spook the entire pod.

come fish a freestone stream w. me this weekend that get's fingerlings every fall... if you catch fish, I vow to no longer make fun of you when I'm w. the other young bucks
    post edited by jimhalupka - 2010/08/30 15:51:14

-Art Lee
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 16:03:13 (permalink)
    WE ( anglers ), project a greater level of inteligence on the fish, so WE ( anglers ) can feel a greater sense of accomplishment in "fooling" them.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 16:14:55 (permalink)
    Everybody missing the point.  They are just fish, nothing worth getting worked up over ya' know.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 16:23:08 (permalink)
    spoon....well said!

halupka...thanks for the offer, but I have a date with some mean, nasty, slimy and toothy MO-FOs this weekend...They are SMART as H3LL, harder to catch than anything else that swims and meaner than mean....And I'll be there to tame them!

Jim - Amen brother!

Christ, I have more important things to deal with....My little boy went to Kindergarten today....where does the time go?!?!?
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/08/30 16:26:52
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 17:26:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Christ, I have more important things to deal with....My little boy went to Kindergarten today....where does the time go?!?!?

oOOld dUUds.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 19:15:51 (permalink)
    Yet another "I'm better cause I use flies" post. It gets old duuuuud. Membr der just fish.

ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

idk, I fish nothing but dries and emergers to them.  If you can't dead drift a dry fly,  you should just stick to crawlers... or practice more.

I find swinging wet flies to stockies, AT TIMES, more challenging than a prominent iso hatch somewhere.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 19:49:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

WE ( anglers ), project a greater level of inteligence on the fish, so WE ( anglers ) can feel a greater sense of accomplishment in "fooling" them.

yep. i fish to get away, to catch fish, to forget the pains that life can deal, to escape egos, to be myself. when i go, not only do i fish, but i think, i talk, i listen and in the end, i call it a really fulfilling day, no matter the stringer may be empty.

truth be told, i have near as many spiritual moments when i am fishing and hunting as i do in church.

you fly swingers are true artists and i envy you. these days, i will be just as happy floating a mini-foo or tossing a flatfish. i no longer need accomplishments, just uncomplicated time.

spoon, you may post once every two weeks or so, but always hit the nail on the head................kudos.

jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 21:16:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fisherofmen376

Yet another "I'm better cause I use flies" post. It gets old duuuuud. Membr der just fish.

ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

no... not really, but if you think I'm better than you, I guess I've won the battle of getting into your head.  Just because I prefer to fish in this manner I do not think I'm better than anyone else, trust me man. 

shutup... have fun.  I'm not even fishing.  College just started ;)

-Art Lee
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 21:21:48 (permalink)

I must concur... and also ask, why wouldn't I want to feel a sense of accomplishment in everything I do?  Fishing, to me, is my staple hobby, and the competitive soul I am, my spirit would be dampened in the event I did not get a brain orgasm over the release of a healthy fish.  Everything I do in life, whether it be playin ball, chasing wet box, rolling blunts.. I do with pride and passion. 

It's great some of you older folk can just sit back, relax, and soak in the moment no matter what...  but me, I'm seeking adventure and fulfillment in the short time I have the energy to expend on this fine earth.

~still dreaming on like peacymike~

-Art Lee
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 21:32:55 (permalink)
    " but me, I'm seeking adventure and fulfillment in the short time I have the energy to expend on this fine earth".

ah,the passions of youth. run hard, fish hard, as years have a strange way of sneaking up on you. energies are to be used, also, not wasted. when you get down the road, you will be happy that you lived rather than just existed.

hey j, good luck in school this semester. seems like you have life by the ****, for sure.

jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 21:58:42 (permalink)
    thanks rap!  I missed your kindness and understanding nature...

-Art Lee
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 22:52:23 (permalink)
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Hunter S. Thompson.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 23:16:37 (permalink)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Hunter S. Thompson.

..with you guardian angel shaking his head and gasping for air.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/30 23:20:42 (permalink)
    It's great some of you older folk can just sit back, relax, and soak in the moment no matter what... but me, I'm seeking adventure and fulfillment in the short time I have the energy to expend on this fine earth.

Just last week I watched my 70 year old father in law playing a rough game of touch football with my son and nephew.  My 69 year old mother does aerobics twice a week. Only twice a week since my 88 year old grandmother stopped going with her earlier this year.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/31 08:12:03 (permalink)
    With my father being 86 and my Mother-in-Law being 78, my wife's and my conversations often lead to estate planning, what we will do when they get really ill, etc.  Its just facts that we will need to deal with sooner rather than later. 
    During our most recent discussion, our own mortality came up and in an epiphany type moment, I told my wife that I have recently decided to live my life like a soap opera – “One Life to Live.”  Its not that I know anything about that soap, but rather that since we do not have any children, we need to live and experience as much life as we can (while being somewhat fiscally responsible because hopefully we have 1/3 of our lives to go), while we can.

This is why we tend to do what we term “stupid things” whenever possible.  As an example, a week or so ago we were visiting my 99-year-old aunt in Vermont and since we were fairly close to Lake Placid, we decided to head over to the Olympic Complex.  We had both watched the ’80 Olympics.  While there, some of the “stupid things” we did was ride a bobsled (unfortunately on wheels instead of blades because of the time of year) on the same track that was used for the ’80 games; shot on the biathlon course (I always thought that would have been my sport back in the day, only no one in my area heard of cross country skiing); and trekked to the top of the ski jump to see what Eddie the Eagle saw before not flying very far.  We hit the wineries and bought the ones we liked and left the ones we didn’t.  Heck, I bought some vodka (in a bottle that will take us two years to consume) that was made from potatoes grown on the 46 peaks of the Adirondacks (oddly enough called 46 Peaks).

We save to do the tarpon trip every June and while there enjoy the Keys with stuff like flying in a biplane, parasailing, taking a blue water fishing trip, sailing on a tall ship schooner, and even flying in a MIG 29 fighter jet.

We hunt and fish whenever we can with the best equipment we can afford (we are by no means rich, we just budget well) so that we can have the best experience possible.  Because in the end, that is what we will have had in this one life to live, our experiences. 
    I told her that other than for financial purposes on the big things, I see no need to include the small things like hunting and fishing gear because as far as I am concerned, I used them while I was here and I have no further need for them when I am gone.  She can take them to the curb for garbage collection as far as I am concerned.

Live as well as you can today, whatever that means to you, within your means so that you do not infringe on others, for tomorrow may never come.

post edited by DarDys - 2010/08/31 08:13:02

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Bigpikeguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/31 09:50:41 (permalink)
    DarDays,

Your post kinda gave me chills! I am going to be married in a few days (9-10-10) and me and my future wife have been talking about kids. Well we both kinda would like one but at the same time we dont want one because we are both active and love camping and the outdoors. We hate the fact that this makes us seem selfish but we have a long life ahead of us being that we are only 28, we want to live our lives to the fullest. We wanna travel and see our country in all its glory. we have been together for 9 years already and we had alot of time to think about this and we decided that after we get married we are buying a truck camper to slide into the back of our truck so we can pull my boat and fullfill our dreams! We wanna live the life that your and your wife are living! And your post puts me at ease that there are other people out there that have the same dreams as we do. I just dont wanna regret not haveing a child, o well i guess we will see what happens
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/31 11:29:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bigpikeguy

DarDays,

Your post kinda gave me chills! I am going to be married in a few days (9-10-10) and me and my future wife have been talking about kids. Well we both kinda would like one but at the same time we dont want one because we are both active and love camping and the outdoors. We hate the fact that this makes us seem selfish but we have a long life ahead of us being that we are only 28, we want to live our lives to the fullest. We wanna travel and see our country in all its glory. we have been together for 9 years already and we had alot of time to think about this and we decided that after we get married we are buying a truck camper to slide into the back of our truck so we can pull my boat and fullfill our dreams! We wanna live the life that your and your wife are living! And your post puts me at ease that there are other people out there that have the same dreams as we do. I just dont wanna regret not haveing a child, o well i guess we will see what happens

Bigpikeguy,

Perhaps I need to clarify something.  We did not choose not to have children in order to have this lifestyle, we chose to have this life style because we don't have children.

There is a huge difference.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: THEY ARE 2010/08/31 18:17:06 (permalink)
    if your life's a bore, risk it

..l.T.A.
    Jump to: