"Closed"

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/27 21:40:09 (permalink)

"Closed"

It’s a shallow life I guess, the one that I have. I mean it seems that my routine is going to work, coming home, spending quality time with my wife, then retreating to the bench and losing myself in my small corner of the house that was once my son’s bedroom before he left to start his own life.  But lately it’s a routine that gives me pleasure in that for the exception of the words I have with my loved one – the time spent under the lamp gives me a kind of strange type of relief. I can let go of the pressure of work and focus on something that is mine – something that I have created in my mind as I go, right or wrong as it may be.  And tonight, as a piece of rabbit strip was tied on, I couldn’t help but think of the conversation I had with the tender at the fly shop as I stopped for materials on the way home.

A while back, the owner put a blurb on his site for part-time sales and I guess this gentleman was hired since I had never seen him in there before…..and I’ve spent many a time in there sharing stories. As I walked past the counter, we nodded at each other and I continued over to the dubbing rack – looking for some ice, noting that I was the only one in the shop – kind of unusual.  The elderly man – I’m assuming retired, came over and began a conversation with me on how much tying has changed over the years. At first it kind of took me aback because normally the person behind the counter first asks if he can help. This gentleman let go of that and just started talking about how things were for him when he started – how he learned. We talked for about 5 minutes relating to each other when another customer came in looking for a t-shirt. Our conversation stopped and my new found partner looked a tad cross as he walked away to take care of business. It wasn’t long before I heard the bells jingle on the door as the t-shirt guy left – and the conversation between the two of us picked up once again, but this time we were sitting at the table – just the two of us in the shop. We laughed as we talked about how there was always a shortage of materials back then– you just couldn’t get them like you can now. How we would see a road kill along the road and cut off the tail of that squirrel for muddlers or pluck the breast feathers off that pheasant laying along the road – when they were still around. Then the bells jingled again and we were interrupted by a young lad looking for a pair of shades. Didn’t have anything that suited him and it didn’t take long for the jingle to fill the shop once again as he left.  When the salesman returned, the first thing he told me was that things will most likely slow down till closing and he went to the fridge outside of the men’s room and brought me an iced tea. We continued our conversation for the next hour talking about the past. There was some friendly disagreement between us as we talked of all the materials hanging around us but you know in a way, his part of it all really made some sense to me. He was adamant of how the natural materials looked more natural in the water and all the flash in the world will never take its place. Flows and moves better he said – looks better when on the keeper of the rod and although I agreed, he was open to my thoughts on using estaz and ice dub, and flash. Don’t think he’ll be using it too soon though. The conversation was an interesting one to me because only 10 years separated us but although we shared many of the same opinions on this change – there were differences. Before I knew it – time had passed and I needed to move on home. He wished me a good weekend and as I closed the door behind me, I noticed the “closed” sign on the door facing outward. I guess after the second lad left, the tender of the shop didn’t want to be interrupted again.

And as I was tying tonight, I kind of chuckled about the whole thing –thinking and hoping that when I retire – hopefully in 7 years - and there is a need for me to take a part - time job to pay for insurance or whatever – and if the shop is still around, that they will hire me. That’ll give me a chance to return the favor that this gentleman gave me tonight.  To close early and talk of old times.
post edited by steely34 - 2010/08/27 21:43:46

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

15 Replies Related Threads

CAP78
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/27 22:09:22 (permalink)
    Great post...don't hear these kind of stories any more with the "big box" stores taking over.  Wish I could have been there.   
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/27 22:37:13 (permalink)
    Nice read steely34 , kinda makes you wonder how it really was back in the day. Not saying yer old but that I havent been in it for that long. Be nice to have that in a memory. Cant wait to share drifts with you again buddy. Ill see you soon. I'll be diggin in yer fly box soon enough 

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/27 22:45:52 (permalink)
    Great read.  And heartfelt.!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/27 22:57:38 (permalink)
    Really good story Steely! Makes me think about talking fish'n with my Dad and Grandfather. Both Flytiers. Dad is 86 and Pap died at 92 and they fished all their lives. I had my Grandfather out on my boat at 90yrs. old catching Perch off the point. (I know this doesn't have anything to do with your story, but it made me think about talking to older guy's about how they did it in "the old days")
    post edited by Split Shot - 2010/08/27 23:00:41

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    sig220e
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/27 23:05:45 (permalink)
    Steely34,

By FAR this is the best thread this site has seen in a VERY long time.  You captured the moment perfectly.  I hope you have your wish and can return there after you retire.

Look for truth inwardly, not outwardly.

B. Lee

Good sense is the master of human life.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/27 23:13:45 (permalink)
    I wrote a big answer to this , only to screw it up in the reply.
    But I,ll start again. You sir have hit home.
    I have met more freinds here than I did in my 58 yrs.
    Have not met one person here that I did not like.
    You put into words that I could not. Thank you.
    Loved it .

cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/28 01:03:32 (permalink)
    Very nice ending to my day just reading that. Took me back to when I tied feathers that came out of a pillow onto hooks, made my parents wonder if the dog had mange because of the bald spots I was leaving on him. Helped re-capture "what it's about." 

Thank you good sir.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/28 07:27:49 (permalink)
    Very good read.............

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

AzzUR
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/29 09:39:38 (permalink)
    Good stuff Steely....and a big lol to Mikastorm....been there before accidentally sending stuff into the ethos..
    flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/29 14:58:53 (permalink)
    Great story, better reading that then reading about spot burning, or smart remarks about a question somebody asked, keep up the good work.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/29 18:17:27 (permalink)
    Cool story...a lot to be said right there and the new age of instant gratification.
    Mr Twister
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/29 23:35:32 (permalink)
    Great story steely always love reading stories like these.
    Bigpikeguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/30 10:12:18 (permalink)
    Very good story!! liked reading it. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside until i realized im only 28 and got a long time till i retire. Well looking on the bright side i aint got any aches and pains yet. I make alot of my own lures and even put together a little company that i call Scared Fishless Tackle Company. I supply alot of little Mom and pop tackle shops from my area and to the general public. I always love hearing about the little shops and going to them and looking around. They always have something that you wont find and gander mountain, wal-mart or dicks. And the 1 on 1 service is what keeps me going back to these places. I really hope they can all hang on in this tuff economy.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/30 23:32:37 (permalink)
    I just returned from a long weekend at camp and this post made my evening!  Sometimes I think we would all be happier if we remembered to hang out the 'closed' sign once in a while....
    Thanks for sharing it!!
    KilDux
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: "Closed" 2010/08/31 12:11:06 (permalink)
    When we were kids we used to hang out at folley's end after school.  Sometimes we fished till dark, other times we just ate hot dogs and popcorn with the old guy and talked about fly fishing.  Learned a lot from that old guy!
    Jump to: