Any new surprises on the SR

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/17 20:26:20 (permalink)
Tim - it's a very easy river to find access. Roads run parallel to it on each side with plenty of public parking spots.

dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/18 20:53:30 (permalink)
salmon is a zoo, but definitely not the zoo it once was. steelhead, definitely a steady increase in my 22 seasons. more and more every year. i still manage to thoroughly enjoy myself though. and i do find solitude often. tim... you should go up labor day weekend for the dam release. it will be game on that weekend this year. i'll bet on it. and yes, cohook, i have seen them run hard and i mean hard in just barely sub 80 water temps. anything is possible in august when it comes to salmon fishing in my opinion... seeing it is believing it. and i'm a believer if you know what i mean... i should shoot myself for promoting august salmon fishing though because i remember when i first started it 20 years ago, there was really no one. even up until 10 years ago. now you get sparse pressure in august. but honestly, i rarely see repeat august anglers. i'm up this weekend. will be working mostly but for sure i will hit the lower river each morning and late afternoon...
ssgt12
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/18 20:59:25 (permalink)
im going to try and make a power run the last sat of august sometimes we find some fish but mostly just going up to check in with some people we havent seen a couple of months
Cohookhead
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/18 21:10:08 (permalink)
Yeah Dime you are spot on about the steelhead season. Ive heard some refer to it as the second salmon season.I'll be up as soon as a few buds there in town tell me some sharks are stalking the river.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/18 22:49:49 (permalink)
humm salmon starting up in river august this year?? I'd say bust.. even with water release.. river temps say no, lake temps say no.. wind directions & current flows we shall see.
Every year is a new , dreams are free.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/19 18:13:22 (permalink)
regardless of norms and temps and currents and winds... yes they do matter. but i have seen them run hard in warmer water than this. and water flow is around 240. the one thing that catches my eye is the large pink bellied males that are being caught on the lake. they are highly prone to running early in my experience. i've hit large runs of mostly large males that fit this description in august. sometimes dreams become reality. and if i hook one fish all weekend on my little efforts, my dream will have come true then. especially since my boy will be there to see it. i'm going to stay optimistic but at the same time be fine with no fish. i do know that i will run about 250 ft. of water pipe in a 5 ft. trench and about 150 ft. of 2 inch electrical conduit. this is for sure... tight lines guys...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/19 18:16:21 (permalink)
not to mention i think it's been every august since 97 that i have caught at least one king in august. sometimes even a coho. and sometimes it is on august 31st. hope to not brake that trend this year. hit sappens though
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/19 23:50:41 (permalink)
Dime - just curious - what type of material is the water pipe made of? 

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/25 19:34:16 (permalink)
the pipe we used is polypropylene i believe. it's that black pipe they use for irrigation pretty much except rated for 160 psi. most guys use for wells as well. i prefer copper but 400 ft. of 1 inch soft tempered copper would've probably cost well over a thousand dollars. this stuff was under 200. it's a no brainer to me...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/25 21:38:48 (permalink)
I ran a water line to an outbuilding/garage from my house a couple of years ago. I was going to use the poly, but we have alot of burrowing varmints in the area that have tendency to chew through the plastic.. Dirty Rotten Varmints.

I bit the bullet and went with copper, fortunately the run was less than 200 feet - but it still left a mark on my wallet.

Hope you don't have problems down the road. I don't think think there is an overabundance of pig whistlers where you are building.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/26 23:22:12 (permalink)
In and around my hometown we are having problems with two legged varmits stripping the copper from houses/buildings and these buildings are not all vacant!Imagine coming home from work/shopping and you hear water running in the basement and when you look down there all the copper is gone!
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/27 06:43:33 (permalink)
scrap is not crap as my scrap yard i use advertises. i'm even scrapping steel if i demo it out in abundance. copper... that's a hole different story. i just did a decommission job where i scrapped hundreds of ft. of 3 and 1 inch copper and about 200 ft. of 4 inch stainless which encased 1 inch stainless. big bucks is all i'll say. we had to guard the truck at all times as we loaded it. peoples mouths were watering at the shine of the almost precious metals we were throwing in the back of our truck. the inner cities around me are the same as you speek of PA. they will rip the copper out while it's under pressure. i'm waiting for the day that some idiot goes to rip out an oxygen line that's under pressure and hopefully they'll get what they deserve and have that beeatch blow up on them. you have a good point drake. i never thought of that. i don't think we'll have a problem though. atleast i hope...
slider14
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/27 18:35:49 (permalink)
Im in PIttsburgh and have thought about a trip up there for years . Any hints for a out of towner .. its a six hour drive and would at least like to have an idea on what Im doing
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/27 22:39:42 (permalink)
There are definately fish in August but when you hear "the regulars are getting them", "they are all spread out", " they are still a bit spotty" or "a big run happened last week and its slowed a bit-" stay home.
  Mid Sept used to be a real good starter but lately its moved up to the first of October, if you want to stand in complete awe for your first sighting of a real run that is your best bet--not that you cant catch a fish or two before, but to see a real run....
   Back in the day before pay to fish and when there were all kinds of cleaning stations with snaggers and real fishermen lined up all day it was a sight and the Salmon run seemed to last a couple of week longer.
 I must say however that Coho and Steelies are better than ever now and seem to have expanded their run times as well as the quality of fish. October is ( in my humble opinion) still the best all round time for a chance at all species and to definately get into a number of fish.  Remember-TAKE A PHOTO HOME AND LET THE FISH GO.
mrkeith
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/28 00:03:57 (permalink)
slider, the best thing you can do is hire a guide for at least a half day. It is well worth it. Hire the guide for the first day of the trip, then you'll have the rest of the trip to put what you have learned to work. Go during Oct. if you can. It's a sure bet for fish unless the water is way up, then you will need a guide to show you where and how to fish in high water.
ssgt12
Avid Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/28 09:16:38 (permalink)
THAT IS SOUND ADVISE WELL WORTH THE MONEY SPENT
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/28 21:01:07 (permalink)
a guide would definitely help...
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/29 07:31:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Tuna - IMO and observation about the late fall/winter steelhead - the crowds exploded over the last 3-5 years - mainly due to the internet chatter. I recall spending many a winter's day on the river and only seeing a few other folks fishing.  

Now, you see driftboats floating down the river like bumper cars and crowds of folks jammed together.

Part internet chatter,part more steel than there's been in yrs,and part bobbers making it so easy that even 1st timers can expect to hook up

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/29 08:42:10 (permalink)
very good point metal. the past 3 years have been the best since the early 90s in my opinion. as for bobbers, guys were using bobbers when i started over 20 years ago. there used to be these guys that fished worms and bobbers in the tail of the black hole with straight 2 lb and those guys hooked some fish. from my viewpoint, everybody made fun of bobbers on the salmon for years. they were always used though. it just took a while for people to muster up the strength to use them. internet chatter definitely plays a big role as well. in a way it takes the originality out of fishing. 10-20-30 years ago, you went up there and had to figure it out yourself. trial and error was your best friend. and it's not just fishing in regards to internet. i believe it's everything. the internet has opened up the world to everyone, and in a way, it kinda sucks in my opinion. people don't live there lives by acting on life and it's circumstances that life throws them anymore. instead, they research everything on the net and result to facebook and all that crap to mass publicize their life to everyone. actual fact based research has been done away with, and actual communication with others is dwindling. yes, i belong to this forum, but in reality, i don't know anyone on this forum. in my real life, i interact with my friends and clients the old fashioned way; phone and actual encounters... teh way twitter and facebook and all of that crap has taken off it disgusts me.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/29 11:07:03 (permalink)
Dime - you hit the nail on the head. Everyone wants instant gratification and to be spoonfed information instead of putting miles on their feet or vehicle.

p.s. - the most hilarious thing I see on some internet boards are the jokers who feel the need to protect their little piece of heaven but still succumb to the need to post a HERO SHOT by blanking out the backgrounds of sections of the Salmon River (like there are any secret spots!!!) and only leave the outline of themselves and the fish in their HERO PIC... 

Wassup with that?

LMAO

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/29 11:40:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Part internet chatter,part more steel than there's been in yrs,and part bobbers making it so easy that even 1st timers can expect to hook up

But Metal - those guys with their hand-turned floats and $500 designer pinwheels look so good doing it....!!!!  LMAO 
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/29 12:42:24 (permalink)
yeah ,man that is pretty stupid, why even show the pic. i will say though. there are some spots in the region that aren't secrets but often overlooked. if you're affraid of giving up your spot, don't even show the pic, or maybe instead, just take a pic of the fish in the water or half way on the bank... i'm not affraid of informing spots on the salmon river i fish on this. usually by the time i post it the fish will be gone or found by others, and if it's DSR i just post DSR, and theres close to 3 miles of bank down there so that's a pretty general statement. besides, no one goes to DSR anyway so it's all good... LOL...
Cohookhead
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/30 14:47:16 (permalink)
I like having the background in the photo, then I can say sucks you weren't in your "secret spot. . . . but I was!!"

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/30 15:11:23 (permalink)
there you go hook... it usually takes me a month to load and attach the pics; that's if i even go that far. so i don't care that much. if it's the salmon, i'll report where and when to others. i know it might **** some people off, but what's fair is fair. to be honest with you, it seems like half of the time people don't even believe me. so go figure. creeks and other tribs, i don't share much info because i usually find that stuff out form other sources and i don't want to be burning them up now. i rarely follow reports though. i go on instinct mostly.
ssgt12
Avid Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/30 21:10:11 (permalink)
dimebrite i agree with you its a big river and as stated there are a lot of over looked places to fish on that river sometimes a nice back ground makes the pic as for the smaller places keep them to yourself but remember the trees have eyes. good luck and keep your powder dry
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/31 13:10:08 (permalink)
well the sandy's are no secret, but the day or weekend trippers never really have the time to check them out unless they have heard from someone when and where the fish are. those rivers host some monster steelies to say the least.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: