Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cohookhead
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 177
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/10 21:06:39 (permalink)

Any new surprises on the SR

Awfully quiet on this site considering the fall madness is coming on quick. My question goes out to the locals or ones that live close enough to "swing by". Besides the DSR looking for more cash, are there any more closeing or opening of parkin lots? Anymore land owners that have had enough and make access more like chuck and duck? Are all the tackle shops still where they were? You can yup and nope these if you want. And does that salmon crazy site work or is my computer all $&%*ed up?

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.

55 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/10 23:13:40 (permalink)
    There was a fire at Eddy's and it is closed for repairs.
    Salmoncrazy....just enter that on the search feature,should come up.
    Lots of water for the river this year,I'm getting anxious.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/11 05:21:02 (permalink)
    Yeah- my back is much more better this year & I am ready for fishes of size. Carry on.

Lyrical
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/11 10:08:28 (permalink)
    If I had a boat I'd be there nowwwwwwwwwwww.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/11 13:11:42 (permalink)
    best year ever for atlantics. water levls are great. water temp fluctuates between 68 and 72 i believe. i was up this past weekend. there 400 on friday and got bumped up to 750 on saturday and sunday. the water was dark too, which i believe adds scent in which the fish pick up on from their natal waters. unfortunately i only looked at the water twice in between my 12 hr work days. i'm sure if you work at it you would be rewarded greatly. up again in 2 weeks.
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/11 15:45:09 (permalink)
    the tree in the barrel  is pushed along the side- the tree above ellis on the gravel is gone and the tree at the head of the snag has pushed over to the side

Drift boat guiding/chartering the Salmon River/Lake Ontario and since 1990.
    NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/11 16:30:03 (permalink)
    Knew I could count on some good info from this group. All sounds good (except for Eddys), looks like I'll start serviceing the gear and make my once a week trips soon. Now if we can only kill this **** heat.

3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/11 18:01:35 (permalink)
    A buddy fished all last week, for all his many hours he was rewarded one 7 pound atlantic. He said the water was mid 70s all week witch is why I choose to pass on floating it. I am considering takeing my boat out of my slip and hauling it up to chase the salmon on the big water, Ive cought salmon every way you can but never out on the lake.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 01:19:14 (permalink)
    Crap- I'll be skating dries in about 1 1/2 weeks then. Amen.

Lyrical
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 02:37:52 (permalink)
    The TOWN POOL WALL IS FALLING DOWN !!!!!

The TOWN POOL WALL IS FALLING DOWN !!!!

OH My - What will the Humpty Dumpty Snaggers Do ????
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 14:06:04 (permalink)
    They will crawl out on the rubble and snag away,no wall collapse will stop them....nosireee!
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 15:49:38 (permalink)
    Rumor has it that Dawn from the Yankee Fly Shop will raise her access fee when the wall falls. Them cement chunks will create some prime holding lies for the fish... LMAO !!!!!!
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 17:48:05 (permalink)
    Only thing town pool is good for is plugging!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 19:26:19 (permalink)
    Sweet,sweet Dawn,what a wonderful person she is allowing access to her little piece of "world class fishing" for a slight fee,it's such a pristine spot she should charge more for such a great experience! :)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Rumor has it that Dawn from the Yankee Fly Shop will raise her access fee when the wall falls. Them cement chunks will create some prime holding lies for the fish... LMAO !!!!!!

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 22:30:50 (permalink)
    pulaski just got an 818,000 dollar state grant for improvements on historic buildings. i wouldn't be surprised if the town wal gets included. 5 to 10 years from now that place will be a lot more prominent than most would think.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/12 22:32:15 (permalink)
    not the wall... the village of pulaski and surroundings is what i was referring to when i said prominent...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/13 14:58:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

5 to 10 years from now that place will be a lot more prominent than most would think.

I'm curious - what makes you say that? 
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/13 15:03:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

Sweet,sweet Dawn,what a wonderful person she is allowing access to her little piece of "world class fishing" for a slight fee,it's such a pristine spot she should charge more for such a great experience! :)

I don't fish the Town Pool for obvious reasons, but perhaps Dawn got her idea from the fine folks of the DSR who make their money from resources they contribute nothing to.

zcountry85
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/13 15:09:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: pafisher

I don't fish the Town Pool for obvious reasons, but perhaps Dawn got her idea from the fine folks of the DSR who make their money from resources they contribute nothing to.

I agree, Ive had a few run ins with her personally, but for privacy reasons ill hold back the stories.

But the town pool is probably gonna be fixed before salmon season, im making some calls about whats gonna happen with it. I have a special place in my heart for that place cause me and my friends always skipped school to go fish at the wall before football practice. Ah the memories. And if it does fall and the concrete slabs are there im gonna be under the bridge looking to catch a few that hold up there.

And another thing about Dawn, Salmon River Sports Shop is now selling licenses, so theres another option for a place to get licenses.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

its not yours til its on the grill
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/15 19:12:22 (permalink)
    well drake, i've watched that area grow for 22 years now... 818000 dollar grant; that's big.... also, i've watched the real estate market up there for about 3 years now straight and raw land is getting bought up and built a lot more than people think... i've owned for 8 years now up there, and since then a lot of out of towners are buying in to it. i know this is a touchy subject though because many locals do not like this. many people are striving to retire up there as well... snow mobilers are more abundant than ever. when i go up steelhead fishing i see more sledders than fisherman, especially at the bars at night and wasn't always like that. was up last weekend and saw probably 1000 quadders while i was there for 3 days. kayaking is getting much bigger as well. and let's face it, the fishing is phenomenal and a lot more people are opting to fish there rather than spend the 5-10 k to go somewhere and maybe not even hook a fish... look at the DEC buying the portly... also, the altmar elementary is closed. i'm very interested to see what will happen with that. will DEC buy that up too? i dunno... i do know that it is on a few thousand feet of river frontage though. who knows what the future holds
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/15 19:49:59 (permalink)
    i fish above the town pool now for a number of years never had a problem(so far) the guys at the salmon river sport are great pepole i knew the dad he was a good man always willing to help the son and the other guy are good pepole too
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/15 23:31:34 (permalink)
    Well Dime - I hope you are right and the area prospers a bit more.

But from what I see, the area is very economically depressed for anyone not directly engaged and established in the fishing/tourism industry - and that is a crap shoot year to year. Any decent jobs to be had require a commute to Syracuse or Watertown area.

Lots of small businesses come & go, seems like a revolving door for many - gotta give them credit for trying, but I don't think I would chance it - too risky.  

The bars beyond Altmar that have connected trails to the Tug Hill benefit the most from the ATV's and snowmobiles.

APW (Altmar,Parish, Williamstown have/are closing schools and consolidating due to declining enrollments.

Land prices are still cheap - but property tax rates are increasing dramatically.

I hope they weather the current recession and figure something out.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/16 16:25:21 (permalink)
    very good points drake. my taxes actually went down this past year though surprisingly. not that that makes much of a difference. let's face it too, you are completely right with watertown and syracuse. but it's similar where i live too. i live in a NYC suburb in jersey and every morning probably somewhere around 15000 people commute to the city from my town. i'm actually starting to look in to bidding on projects in the syracuse and watertown areas. it's worth a shot, and i have a place to put my guys up in rather than paying for motels. you definitely have very good points, but for some reason i have a feeling that the area will be more and more on the up and up. i've even done some research on income properties in cities like oswego and rochester. there is money to be made in it. cheap land is right too. building lots starting at 10 k; meanwhile houses on 5 acre lots or so going anywheres from 125 k -400 k. yes, you can find them much cheaper, but i'm talking semi good quality to high quality homes. it's something to think about. when it comes to building down by me, you're looking at 200 k just for the dirt. that to me is too much of a risk. putting anywhere from 250-400 k in to a project. that's a high risk to me. besides i don't even have that kind of money. if i did have that kind of money i would be living in the north country... lol... tight lines
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/16 17:38:47 (permalink)
    you both have valid points. Land (lot) prices have gone up 100 times in the last 20 years. Mainly due to out of state buyers wanting to call it a retirement home and a booming market.. It has slowed in the last 2 years but never to be as cheap as it was. The Oswego county area has been a rollercoaster ride since the hatchery was put in. The super highs in early 80's and now those who are well established survive.
    It is a tourist due to the fishery driven economy. Good promotion will bring money in .Personally I think a better job could be done. Again it ran it's course in the 80's and seems to be resting on it's laurels but since then getting a bad publicity rap, you all know why.

I have seen the Adirondacks, mainly Ausable river go the same way . Lived there in the 70's when fishing tourism was peak but dropped off in the 80's (hummmm.. Lake Ontario ? ) . Then with introduction of 2 year old trout .. it still does well.. Promotion !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/17 15:22:51 (permalink)
    Tuna - promotion works to a certain degree. In the case of the Salmon River fishery, IMO it has reached the saturation point as evidenced by the crowds - not only during the Salmon Runs (Salmon Season was always crowded),  but throughout the entire winter steelhead season. In addition to marketing efforts by business owners, I think the internet had alot to do with it. Not all of the traffic benefits the local businesses, because a good chunk of the fishermen make day trips to the area and may only drop a few coins in a tackle shop or the McDonald's drive through. 

I have stopped going up there as much as I used to. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy catching large fish, but the sheer number of fishermen have decreased the quality of the fishing experience for me - even after a long walk from the public parking spots. I'm not whining too much, at least I didn't drop a few thousand to travel cross country and find myself fishing shoulder to shoulder on an Alaskan river... :)

p.s. -
    I read that the Altmar Elementary School was on the sale block for $275,000.

If it were not for those pesky conservation easements on the south side of the Salmon River, it would make a great investment for someone with a business model similiar to Barclay LLC...  :) 

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/17 17:12:19 (permalink)
    only time will tell. i will roll with the punches as they are thrown. i will definitely never sell my lot. i've already had people write me letters inquiring about giving me an offer. it would take a lot of money to let go of the gem i have. i love it too much. i look at it as a protected area. although dec owns the rights of my 900 ft. of river bank. so you never know what ideas they might come up with. i'd say if anything though, that area is at a plateau and i don't think it will go up rather than down from here.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/17 18:45:45 (permalink)
    Well I tend to agree promotion works to a degree but I think good promotion and not saturation can always support income to a local economy.
    Saturation may bring folks but many will be there "just because" it's the place to be ...

Crowds Salmon ?
    In no way are there more people there salmon fishing then in the 80's. Evidence of closed shops, buildings and such prove this.
    Market a good product and folks will patronize it.. We all love fishing , now show me why .

Crowds Steelhead ?
    Obviously everyone has seen a HUGE increase over the last 20 years in fishers late fall till spring . Why ? Good promotion.
    Is it enough to sustain the local economy ? Some survive , some close up shop ..

Just my **** azz opinion I know , just sayin ..
    Looking forward to November !!

Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/17 19:21:43 (permalink)
    I for one am one of those day trippers only because of work/family. I have to agree with Tuna I think there is less fishing for salmon. Economic issues and a stronger showing of big brother (Encon) has caused people to go elsewhere or quit all together. And also there is not alot of youngsters coming up behind us that have an interest in this, it's the same with hunting, we used to hunt with other groups around us and now most of them have passed away and their sons and daughters have no interest. Good for us who stick with it, but bad for future interest/growth.

Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/17 19:36:41 (permalink)
    That sounds like a good score Tim! The long term forecast ( if you can trust it) has next week with cooler temps and rain. That may perk up a few kings, seen them run in warmer conditions than that, not good but they did.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any new surprises on the SR 2010/08/17 20:16:18 (permalink)
    Tuna - IMO and observation about the late fall/winter steelhead - the crowds exploded over the last 3-5 years - mainly due to the internet chatter. I recall spending many a winter's day on the river and only seeing a few other folks fishing.  

Now, you see driftboats floating down the river like bumper cars and crowds of folks jammed together.

It makes spending a solitary winter's day on the river a memory of the past. I won't even waste the gas for a trip unless I can schedule a mid-week (Tues-Thurs) trip.

Salmon fishing - was always a war zone, will always be a war zone. It's a far cry from "fishing".

The fact that NY is one of the heaviest taxed states in the country definitely contributes to the lack of business in the area.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: