Lead Core problem.. help please!

Author
ryanpgh
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/02 11:46:16 (permalink)

Lead Core problem.. help please!

Had a great day on 7/31 in Erie for admittedly being a novice walleye fisherman. Landed 6 nice sized eyes with one being in the citation class at 10.5#. Can't say we didn't have our troubles though. I just got 2 LeadCore setups. Had problems losing fish when we got all of the wire to the surface. Fish seemed to roll on the leader and get off. Seemed like maybe the weight of the LC being out of the water without any resistance from the water was causing the hooks to be pulled out? I dunno, but this happened at least 4 or 5 times when we had most of the LC back in the reel. Loosin up the drag perhaps? Anyone have this same issue? Any advice would help! Thanks!

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -Urban Meyer, head football coach Florida Gators

17 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 13:11:31 (permalink)
    Walleyes are great at spitting the hook.
    Most of the time it is right at the boat.:(
    If you can, keep their head under, net quickly.

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 13:14:28 (permalink)
    Is this with harnesses, spoons, plugs? Make sure your hooks are sharp and if pulling meat I find a stinger hook reduces the number of drops drastically.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 13:27:42 (permalink)
    How long is the leader and how are the rod tips? There is no 'shock absorbing' assist from the water once the fish gets on top so you have to depend on good hooks, maybe a soft leader (though very little stretch, even in a 6 foot leader) and keeping the pole at an angle to allow the most flex in it to absorb the shocks of the thrashing, and a quick net job.  Like mika said, keeping their head below water helps a lot.
    Good luck, and congrats on a good day fishing, even if you lost some at the boat it sounds like you had a great number of hookups for a 'novice' fisherman!

ryanpgh
    New Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 13:34:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for replying guys. I know i'm the new guy so it would be easy to just skip over me. However I tend to believe "there are no foolish questions, just fools who stop asking them."

We were using Reef Runner Deep Divers on LC off of boards. Hooks were as sharp as they were when they came out of the box so i can't attribute the lost fish to that. It just seemed curious that we would consistantly lose fish when there was about 50ft of LC left out in the water along with 50ft of leader. I guess i'm hoping it was just bad luck, but the consistancy with which it happened seemed to make me think otherwise.
    ryanpgh
    New Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 13:59:21 (permalink)
    FisherLady2, we had 50ft of leader on brand new 8' Okuma trolling combo's. The rods are medium action. I'm thinking maybe we used too much leader? I wasn't too sure what the appropriate length was.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 14:27:56 (permalink)
    I thought you were loosing them at the boat from your first post. I'm not sure what is going on that you lost them 100' back, and actually, am surprised they surfaced that far back, walleye usually dig for all they are worth until they are under the boat and forced up. Now we have had steelhead come up at distance and get off, and sheephead, even on stick baits.
    I'll have to give this one to one of they guys with a lot more experience than I have then, because at that distance I don't know what would cause it, it wouldn't be the rod or lack of shock absorbing leader....
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2010/08/02 14:28:32
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 15:24:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

Walleyes are great at spitting the hook.
    Most of the time it is right at the boat.:(
    If you can, keep their head under, net quickly.

John hit that one on the head
    .... Keep the fish below the surface as much as possible sometimes pulling them in too quickly ( dragging across the top can spell disaster ) . If the fish wants to take a run let it go ; we abstain from bringing the fish on top until the net is on it's way underneath the fish . I keep the rod tip straight back and NOT elevated when pulling them in and never let a person pump the rod ... Slowing the boat down a little can help bring the fish in quicker hope that helps .. Tight lines DC
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/02 16:14:51 (permalink)
    50' is good for a leader what kind of line are you using for your leader?

ryanpgh
    New Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 00:45:30 (permalink)
    King, i'm using a 20lb. mono leader.

Dream Catcher... I think you might be on to something here. We were pumping the rod, however i'm not sure i fully understand what you mean about "I keep the rod tip straight back and NOT elevated." Could you explain this in further detail please? When we were fighting the fish, we were pumping the rod with the rod tip straight up while anchoring the butt end of the rod at our waist (pretty standard or so i thought??).
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 01:02:09 (permalink)
    What you are doing is bringing the fish to the top.
    By sweeping your tip sideways or straight out you,ll help keep it down.

ryanpgh
    New Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 01:23:34 (permalink)
    Ok great! Thanks so much for your help. It appears we were just fighting the fish in the wrong manor with the LC. I'll be sure to try that method this weekend... assuming the walleye cooperate by biting. My friends and i really appreciate everyones advice.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 07:07:47 (permalink)
    Ya steady pressure on the tip at all times, slow and steady wins the race, make sure your drag is loose enough that a couple head shakes will pull a little line and when you feel the headshakes stop reeling until hes done. The 20# mono has a decent amount of stretch so that will help keeping them buttoned up.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 08:14:13 (permalink)
    NEVER NEVER pump the rod all you do is open the hook hole if he's hooked in the side of the mouth. Nice slow steady retreive like Nuke says when he headshakes stop reeling your not marlin fishing
    ryanpgh
    New Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 13:48:40 (permalink)
    this info certainly solves our problem. nothing is more frustrating than not getting fish in when they are biting. A slow day is one thing, but a good day lost by human error is another. Not that it was a bad day because we did land 6, but it should have been a lot more. Hopefully this weekend is productive and we'll be certain to follow these fighing guidelines instead of my old "Marlin Fishing" tactics. lol. Thanks guys.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 14:05:41 (permalink)

acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 16:09:06 (permalink)
    From being out with dreamcatcher I learned to keep rod tip at 90 degree angle to the water(aka 3 or 9 O'clock)lift at the back of the boat.
    Just an FYI
    ac
    toad01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Lead Core problem.. help please! 2010/08/03 21:36:27 (permalink)
    lost a couple on lc when drag got to tight small ones came rite in larger ones tore off and this year eyes are pretty nice slow steady retrieve and fast net will definatly help

SIZE MATTERS
    Jump to: