Johnson 90HP Repair

Author
jon_e_si
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1103
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/11 08:05:17 (permalink)

Johnson 90HP Repair

I have a 90HP Johnson I took in for service - was told I need a carberator re-build kit (on order). It's been over two weeks. My question is - does this seem excessive and wonder if it will be a recurring problem???

26 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/12 00:42:12 (permalink)
    It shouldn't be with proper care and maintance. Why is it in need of a rebuilt kit in the first place, age ? Two weeks is long to wait for a kit. Are they that backed up and are making you wait your turn?
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/07/12 00:46:21
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/12 05:09:34 (permalink)
    i have had some parts on backorder just last week the thing is no one wants to carry inventory you pay taxes on that
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/12 12:24:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

I have a 90HP Johnson I took in for service - was told I need a carberator re-build kit (on order). It's been over two weeks. My question is - does this seem excessive and wonder if it will be a recurring problem???

2 weeks for the part or 2 weeks for the whole job?

2 weeks for the part seems excessive but when i needed some older evinrude parts, it was almost a week minimum. not sure if theres aftermarket companies that make the rebuild kit or not. most marine shops ive dealt with dont want to have anything to do with johnson/evinrude. they might get you parts but you're on your own after that.

2 weeks for the job; this time of year imo is great. most shops are swamped. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/13 18:24:31 (permalink)
    Ive had a remote conversion kit and wiring harness for a 20 Merc on order for 8 weeks now, the companies are at minimal staff and parts were hit the hardest, and the way sales are its probably going to get worse,Even tried to get the parts from Tohatsu as they make the Merc 4 stroke 20, no luck there either
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/14 00:54:21 (permalink)
    had no idea. is merc still making the verado on its own?

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    hydrasports22
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/14 09:52:40 (permalink)
    sounds alittle fishy to me I've cleaned and rebuilt alot of carbs and their is not alot in them to need a socalled rebuilt kit
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/14 13:47:41 (permalink)
    Might not be alot in a 2 stroke carb, but the few rubber parts that are there get eaten alive by the ethanol in the fuel now-a-days!
    Inlet seats and needles are the first to go then you get symptoms of flooding the carb.

That's why I run AV gas...no alcohol.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/14 20:43:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for that in-put! The motor didn't want to run at high speed. Occasionally I could get it to go fast, but it would die down and I came in mostly at low speed. Going out it was rough so I went slowly! Sounds like it may be a recurring problem with the gas we use, so maybe I ought to keep a spare re-build kit. Dealer told me today that the kit still had not arrived, but he got a fax re: a kit, so maybe that is the one being shipped! Where do you get AV gas? Airport?? Again thanks for the in-put!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 02:14:41 (permalink)
    That's why I run AV gas...no alcohol.

AV fuel is 100 octane low lead-with this I could advance timing in my Checkmate 5* to 10*
    Now I don't know anyone willing to sell it
    old 115/145 avgas, was ultra-high octane, heavily leaded.
    This stuff was dark and had a very strange odor

Turbo Blue unleaded+ has 104 octane
    Racing fuel is 110 or higher-one whif of this stuff gives me an instant headache

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 06:27:02 (permalink)
    the problem is the fuel itself some comps put more eathonal than others i use a mason jar put gas in it put a lid on and 1week later you will see it seperate ck the stations around you and the least seperation go with that most can go up to 10% to as high as 15% its on the sticker of the pump but they use the r+m method best to run the carb dry unplug the tank and run the motor till it dies
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 08:25:25 (permalink)
    Thanks again - that's what I was beginning to think. With my limited mechanical skills - I know it worked well with an 8HP Merc tiller I have!
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 08:32:38 (permalink)
    Yes, I get my AV fuel at the airport.
    One local airport will sell it to me without any hesitation...all that they ask is I buy more than a few gallons at a time...like 12 or more since they have to pump it out of the truck and need to run it across the parking lot to fill my cans and don't want to play with just a 5 gallon purchase.
    My other local airport has a self-serve pump that takes credit cards and you can get it there 24/7 since it is an "unattended pump".

I've bought it at Bradford,PA airport also...the daytime attendant runs it in his boat also, so no problem buying there!

Just as an FYI...it is 100 octane, LOW LEAD...notice that is is NOT unleaded...so you should only run it in older motors!
    You may need to adjust your idle jets in your carbs if you plan on running AV all the time.

Also, AV doesn't have the solvents in it like pump gas does, so it won't eat the seals out of your engine after many years.

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 09:03:56 (permalink)
    Certified marine fuel has no ethanol.  Our boat club only buys fuel that has no ethanol in it.  I'll find out the supplier...  if you're in Conneaut, the Conneaut Boat Club sells it.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 09:08:39 (permalink)
    And there is some lead in this fuel.  I'll see if I san get a hold of the spec. sheet.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    chili pepper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 745
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 10:16:18 (permalink)
    My boat is in the shop as well. I just got off the phone with Findley Lake Marine and they said that the carb. parts that I need are on "national back-order".

This will be the third weekend this summer (so far) that this problem has meant no fishing.  

My Merc is bumming me right the F - out.  If this is their way of getting me to buy a new one, it might work.

It won't be another Merc.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 10:34:26 (permalink)
    Find out what parts are on "backorder" and them give these guys a call to get it from them...
    http://store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/Default.asp

Any time I've ordered from them, I've had my parts the same week!

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 13:07:50 (permalink)
    .notice that is is NOT unleaded...so you should only run it in older motors!

Worried about the catalytic converter?
    Lead acts like a lubricant on the cylinder walls and valves.
    I don't think it will do any damage

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 13:28:57 (permalink)
    Noooo, not worried about a converter...
    I'm just sayin' that I wouldn't run it in my 2008 OptiMax, no telling what the computer would do when it sees that kind of fuel & exhaust on it's sensors!
    Might screw a perfectly good warranty claim if the Merc factory sees lead deposits in an engine that is clearly marked "unleaded gasoiline only"...also I don't know what the lead will do to the injectors...

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 13:32:30 (permalink)
    I was thinking of a carbed engine on an inboard.
    O2 sensor might have problems

clinchknot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/15 15:56:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

I have an '89 evinrude 88spl that has the II carbs in it. They don't have jets or needles in them. They have fixed orifices (low, midrange, high speed). Carbs scare me, but I might try them myself when they need it in the future.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
    sprcpr
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/22 07:57:44 (permalink)
    I bought my carb kits through iboats and they were here in a couple of days. It seems thay have combined several different carbs/years in one kit. They were cheap at $17 a piece and so it is worth doing if you are going to the trouble of taking the carbs apart. It really isn't a difficult job. Don't take not difficult as cheap to do. It is time consuming. You have to tear the carbs down, soak them, clean them, inspect them, put them back together. On a multi carb motor the work is all multiplied by the number of carbs. All at the shop rate...

R+M/2 octane method just refers to the Research + Motor octane average. It is an average of octane tests. The high avaition numbers (AV130 AV145) are from a completely different test. Supercharged engine test. People try to generalize that it is a lower octane number, and it is, but it isn't easily quantified as being x points lower. In general aviation gas is blended to operate in low speed aviation engines. I do know that people used to try and run it in high performance car engines but it really isn't designed for that and doesn't offer the performance advantages that people expect. Marine engines might be a different story. They operate closer to the conditions of an aviation engine. Lots of steady state, relatively low RPM running. Tetra ethyl lead was the preferred octane booster for quite a while and it is amazing stuff, but also extremely poisonous in raw form as well as spewing lead everywhere as it is burned. I know it is generally a necessary evil in aviation engines.

Nobody wants to experiment with fuel blends in aviation engines. You know the old joke... Pilot comes over the intercom and tells the passengers they are down one engine and instead of 2 hours it will now take three to reach their destination. A little while later the pilot comes on and says another engine is out and so it will be 4 hours until they reach their destination. Al little while later the captain comes on and says another motor has quit, but that they can limp along on the one remaining engine. Only problem is that they will be in the air for 6 hours. Finally the captain comes on and says "Bad news folks the final engine has quit." A blonde passenger throws up her hands and says "Oh great, now we're going to be stuck up here forever."

The next magic octane booster was MTBE but as that compound is a ground water contaminate the move has been to more and more alcohols. They add oxygen to the fuel, boost the burn rate, and lower the energy available in the fuel. The one thing I'm not sure about is are there more alcohols in modern high octane fuels from the local gas station? I'm not sure, but I suspect that that is the case. I also know that going around to different stations is probably a waste of time as the gasoline around here all comes out of the United refinery in Warren.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/22 08:12:48 (permalink)
    good to see you got the kit id still check to see how nuch seperation you have and try to off set it the water/etho plays hell on the carbs and if its too much it can gum the valves thats why tou drain the carbs and you can run streight ethon but you need to modd the carb and retard timing and they start hard
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/23 09:00:27 (permalink)
    The neat thing about AV gas isn't the octane rating, but rather it's LACK of alcohol and other additives!
    AV gas that you buy in Pittsburgh is the same mix as Detroit, same as D.C., same as Daytona Beach...get the point...CONSISTANCY...it has to be the same since all aircraft engines, in general, run the same.

Automotive pump gas is blended differently in Pittsburgh, different in Detroit, different in Daytona...due to different Oxygen and pollution fighting requirements...heck they even blend different in spring versus summer!!!

Yes, AV does have some lead in it, but not enough to cause problems as though you were allowing it to be run in ten million car engines!

BUT...the biggest thing that AV is missing is the solvents.
    Do this test, take a few ounces of gas-station grade unleaded gasoline, pour it into a styrofoam cup...watch it melt before your eyes!
    Now, take a few ounces of AV gas and put it into another styrofoam cup...come back in an hour and see that it is still there, then come back tomorrow and see that it will still be sitting there...yes, evaporating but NOT melting the cup.
    The solvents that melted the cup are the same ones that are deteriorating your internal engine seals over years of use.

Also, pump gas can't sit more than a few weeks to a month before it starts to go sour, AV can sit in a can for YEARS and still hold the same quality as the day it was put in there. (I know a Merc mechanic that did this test with 5 year old fuel and paid for the lab test out of his own pocket just to proove it...and he got the lab report in print to show disbelievers!) 

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/07/24 20:42:05 (permalink)
    UPDATE:Took boat to lake Friday (after rebuild) - ran fine at first then went from 42mph to 37mph back to 42mph! This repepeated 4-5 times. Went in to get my water jug. Motor started right up, but when I put it in forward it stalled out repeatedly - would not run! Took it back this morning - they couldn't get it to run! Have to wait until Monday for their best mechanic! HELP!!!
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/08/16 22:17:08 (permalink)
    UPDATE: Picked up boat Thursday - their verdict - water impeller needed to be replaced plus intake cleared. Apparently was running too hot - Johnson has a "SLOW" system which shuts engine down if it's too hot. I haven't had time to take to the lake to see if it's corrected. Also bought a new battery, and the exhaust ports needed cleaned! Here's hoping!
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: Johnson 90HP Repair 2010/08/22 01:08:21 (permalink)
    Lost confidence in repair shop - took to lake today - same problem - put back on trailer - noticed loose part above prop - loose cover - motor would not run!
    Jump to: