Breaking New Ground

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/01 01:08:35 (permalink)

Breaking New Ground

Trying to teach myself a new (to me) style: Rangeley (Carrie Stevens) Streamers...

8 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/01 05:07:19 (permalink)
    Cold - beautiful work. It's funny you should bring this up because I also began playing around with these about 6 months ago. There's alot of history surrounding this style of tying. Carrie Stevens was quite the innovator and artist in the flies she and Mary Orvis Marbury designed. There is a few sites I went to for direction:
    Ron Lucas (amazing work!) has a site where he explains the techniques in full - Google Ron Lucas Demon and click on the first link. It's a great site -    Note that he "builds" his wings by glueing the different feathers together before tying them in. Also see how he trims the feather wing prior to tying in. Interesting.
    The other site is a step by step for the grey ghost:  http://www.vigsbigflys.com/id254.htm
    It also helped me when - after I built the wings - I flattened the stem at the tie in point by using a pair of tying pliers. This way the wing didn't roll on the shank. The trimming technique that Ron Lucas uses and describes also helped me out.
    Again.....very nice!!!! Way to push yourself - Sometimes I think I push too hard but it's just endless as to the different directions one can go with this tying thing isn't it?
    post edited by steely34 - 2010/07/01 05:11:03

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/01 08:51:28 (permalink)
    Thanks, Steely. I've been to Ronn's site, he does some great things with feathers. That other link was new to me though, but its bookmarked now!

Normally, I dont use any adhesives whatsoever on my flies, making the rare exception for a bass/pike fly, or a drop of cement on a parachute post. On this fly, however, I decided to go with tradition and use some glue. While I really don't feel it was necessary for the main wing, the gluing really did help with mounting the shoulder and cheek.

This fly was tied on a Mustad 36808. This hook has a looped down eye, and while I love the looped eye for making it simple to tie in wings and keep things straight, it's making it tough for me to gauge my length and other proportions on an 8X long hook.

With more flies tied, though, I'm sure it will come along.
    wonderrod
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/01 14:33:17 (permalink)
    Nice work right there!

I got into the same style a couple of years ago and got the books, etc. It is a very relaxing and nostalgic way of tying and whenever I get into a fly tying funk, I get back into it. If you've never been to the flytying show in Somerset, NJ, you owe yourself the trip to see all the very talented tiers who you learn tons of tips from. There are several that tie nothing but the Rangley style of streamers. The Grey Ghost and the Black Ghost are two of my favorite trout streamers and they work very well in the fall.

Jeff

(edit;) Getting the right feathers is another part of the equation when tying this style of streamer and half the fun is tracking down the goods.
    post edited by wonderrod - 2010/07/01 14:35:43
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/01 14:59:49 (permalink)
    Getting the right feathers is another part of the equation when tying this style of streamer and half the fun is tracking down the goods.

Agreed.

The strange, and often rare, discontinued, etc. materials make many of the classics difficult to tie. But its also really fun tracking stuff down.

Just got an order of nearly 4,000 old hooks that made Saturday afternoon a little bit like Christmas.
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/01 16:41:14 (permalink)
    BEAUTIFUL body and all together awesome fly. I always have trouble getting a nice floss/tinsel body laid out on the hook. The feathers look great also. Keep working on the style and they will be perfect.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/01 21:40:02 (permalink)
    Thanks, HC. All the floss work I've been doing on my classic wets has really helped prepare me for a large body like this. My tinsel is a little uneven on this one, but I normally use oval for the rib and flat only on the tags. Flat tinsel ribs, for me, are a bit more difficult than using oval.

What kind of thread and floss are you using? A few tips: Use a flat, unwaxed, unbonded thread and keep the underbody totally even. Every dozen or so wraps, I spin my bobbin to untwist the thread again. I use UTC 70, usually in white, light tan, or a similar lighter color, to improve the floss's shine when wet. For floss, I use uni, danville, and orvis. This fly was tied using uni. Just like the thread, I untwist the floss, but unlike thread, I'll untwist my floss ever 2-4 wraps. keeping everything flat is the key. also, keep a lot of tension on the floss to keep the individual fibers from wandering out away from the main strand. if they do, either unwrap and try again, or, if its not too critical, just ignore it and keep wrapping. You'll either catch up to it or (more likely) snap the fiber. Just let it go and trim it off when you're finished wrapping the floss.
    streamertyer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/02 08:10:30 (permalink)
    You're off to a great start.  Hook length is right, and the body looks good.  Rib can be a little narrower and more evenly spaced.  The wing should be lower slung, not propped up on top of the hook shank like a traditional streamer.  Try to get the front part of each wing to shroud the front part of the body - essentially side mounting them, making it true to Carrie's style.  I also published a thorough materials guide and step by step for Carrie Stevens streamers in the premier issue of Hatches magazine a couple of years ago.  Also, you can check out the group in the link below my signature.  They're very much into classic streamer flies. 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Breaking New Ground 2010/07/02 08:29:47 (permalink)
    Thanks, man! I think for my next one I'll use oval tinsel for the rib. I'm on the look out for narrower flat tinsel, but haven't found it just yet.
    Jump to: