Alaska

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/01 18:19:27 (permalink)

Alaska

Need some help and advice. I'm considering a possible fishin trip of my lifetime to Alaska next year and I've been searching around for a place to go. I know the possibilities are endless and what I've been working on is narrowing down what exactly I want to target as far as species and what type of experience I want to have. What I've come up with is I've always wanted to sightfish for Kings and Silvers. And I'm not the fancy lodge type of guy. So a tent - type of camp is what I'm looking at. Been reading about Alaska West Tent camp on the Kanektok River or the Alaska Wilderness Safari camp on the Aleutien Coast which from what I've read is in a beautiful area ( although I guess it's all good).  Thing about the Alaska West Camp is that they do alot of spey casting - something I've never done. They do fish single handed rods though on smaller waters.  Anyway - has anyone ever done a trip like this - tent camps for Kings and Silvers and can you recommend an outfitter besides these two or has anyone ever been to any of the two listed.  Again - this whole thing is not definate but it is on my radar - best of all if I can get our bathroom done over - I have the wife's blessing for it all! Besides fishing in Oregon some 35 years ago - I've never been outside of Pa so this would be an experience for me as I'm sure it would be for anyone. I did a search on here and found some good info but couldn't see any discussion on info on tent camp type lodges. Thanks for any any thoughs ya can send my way.
post edited by steely34 - 2010/06/01 18:24:27

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

14 Replies Related Threads

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/01 19:00:54 (permalink)
    Steely,

I don't know much about it personally, but I think F&S or OL did an article on something like this a year or two ago.  A couple of guys rented a little winnabango and ate 25 cent noodles for a week.  It was pretty cool, but I can't remember much more about it.  I would be most interested in a trip like this myself, I can't wait to see what these other guys have to say.  I would be happy with silvers and dollys myself.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/01 20:01:58 (permalink)
    Yeah the possibilities are endless....there's so many different ways to do it. I have read different accounts on guys doing it on their own but with limited time - I'm thinkin about going with an established outfitter. Man - if you google alaskan kings or silvers ya get thousands of hits. Just hope I can pull it all together. I've learned lately that life can be a pretty short stint and I'm not gettin any younger.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/01 22:25:03 (permalink)
    I know someone who guided up at Alaska west and said that it was the best outfit he had been at.  They do alot of spey which would have drawn me in and sealed the deal, but if it isn't your game then they do single hands on smaller waters like you said.
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/02 18:23:23 (permalink)
    Hey steel,

ive been to alaska 3 times and lemme tell you ..your in for a real treat.. i got loads of information on places and prices for the camps i went to.. very well done camps.. the 1 camp is a strictly fly fishing camp and the other is both. i do feel that the duo fly spin camp was the best quality of fishing.. i have a giant king on my wall to prove it. search alaska trophy fishing safaris the owners name is John Carlin. i can give you his email if you wish.. he is OUTSTANDING!!! its located on the Mulchatna river.. in the middle of no where.. no boat traffic other than the other campers.. great food and the fishing is unreal.. seriously mid july the kings and sockeyes are in .. youll never wanna leave.. price is very good for quality of fishing and overall experience. also if you want a list of flies to tie PM me and ill let you know.. seriously though.. check it out

http://www.alaskafishingsafaris.com/
    also youtube has a video done by 1 of the guides.. search Alaska Trophy Fishing Safaris..its by volenviter great video of the place
    post edited by byahn32 - 2010/06/02 18:25:13

Mossy doesnt need more beer.. i need cherry juice.
    krott243 rivals Zonk for position of darth vader!!

loopys unofficial group member lol (i peer through the window on meetings)
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/02 18:27:47 (permalink)
    the king in my avatar pic is from that camp

Mossy doesnt need more beer.. i need cherry juice.
    krott243 rivals Zonk for position of darth vader!!

loopys unofficial group member lol (i peer through the window on meetings)
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/03 14:09:01 (permalink)
    hey steel
       I was there 3 years ago & did the motor home thing & fished a lot of streams. this year I am going back for a full month, my better half will be with me for 2 weeks 1 week sight see 2 week fish then she goes home & the boys fly up & the fishing will be great  silvers dolleys & rainbows when I come home I will pm you if you want with new info. you will have a great time
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/04 04:45:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info everyone. Still pretty much undecided as to where to go. Then the next thing is to decided when to go as far as Kings and Silvers are concerned. Yeah Dave - It'd be great to hear how ya make out. Let me know.

John Gierach

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/04 10:18:16 (permalink)
    steely34,
    here's a thread you might be interested in.
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_263480/mpage_1/key_Alaska/tm.htm#263697

No Kings there, but Slivers out the Wazoo. I'm headed up Sept. 14th. Camp is a camp right now but will be a full service lodge some day. If the Tsiu river interests you, I know every operation there. PM me if interested.

Bob

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/04 11:55:05 (permalink)
    Steely,
    The rent a motorhome and just fish is an excellent choice. Maybe not for trophys but for sheer fun. There was many a time I stopped by a campsite and walked to a creek the size of Walnut and pulled in huge fish almost at will. And if Will had just moved I would still have been pulling them in, only not at him. I recommend the motorhome trip.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/05 11:07:39 (permalink)
    It might just go that way now Indy. Wife is talkin about changing her mind about going along which is great. We're thinkin about scrappin the outfitter plan - flyin into anchorage and either doing the motorhome thing or perhaps renting a car and stopping along the way up into Talketna/Denali. We'll see. Thanks for the input though everyone.. much appreciated.

John Gierach

imrinc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/15 07:04:48 (permalink)
    I am fortunate to have a brother living in Anchorage and I've made 12 trips over the last 20 years, a couple for hunting, but most for fishing.

Fishing the Kenai is one of my favorite things, and you can catch monster rainbows, dollies, and the salmon do run well there depending on time of the year. You can hire a drift boat guide or hit the places you can fish from shore.

Pike and grayling fishing in the inland lakes is something to behold.

The problem with Alaska is it is soooooooooo big with so much to choose from it can overwhelm you at times. Use the 'net to research, get some good books on Amazon and have a blast.

You might also visit http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php?s=43cf1f43ede0f82e93622f2d67b920cb&f=15

North Platte Bum
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/15 11:34:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

My first trip to alaska will be in August with FFdave...any good advice for a first timer??? Tips,tricks etc...

Listen very carefully to FFdave and you will be alright.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/15 17:12:37 (permalink)
    Well, I don't know what your itinerary is or what you're looking for, but you can certainly take advantage of the internet. I've found joining in discussions to be very helpful, even back when the 'net was in its infancy, I got steered to some nice spots in Wyoming. Use that link I gave above, ask questions, milk the fly shops up there whether on the Kenai, Anchorage, Wasilla or more remote - in my experience they provide great information and are eager to help.

When I travel (Wyoming and Alaska still), I like to do float trips as early in the trip as possible and milk the guide for all he's worth - you're paying for it. That helps immensely.

At least get bear spray and keep a clean camp. I have flown up before checking in a 44 mag pistol. Shotguns with slugs are no problem to travel with. Every year there are horror stories of a mauling or two in the summer.

Don't read "Alaska Bear Tales" til you return...or you might not go ; )

North Platte Bum
    Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Alaska 2010/06/15 19:12:04 (permalink)
    I am going this year to the Kaknek River this August. A freind of mine was ther last year had a great trip. This will be my first time up there. We are going to be there the third week so King will be over but everything else will be there. This is the web site for the camp. www.naknekrivercamp.com
    Jump to: