Ohio River - What gives?

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/15 08:43:44 (permalink)

Ohio River - What gives?

About 7 hours of fishing on Saturday evening, and 1 6" sauger for me...  Where the heck are the fish?  A few other guys with me caught a few small fish as well.  Biggest fish caught was a 12" sheepshead...  I was thinking the sudden drop in temps would get things moving, but didn't seem to do anything.  Hoping the continued fall weather, turns on the fall bite.

The bouys in the back channel have been moved back a little, but still 100+ yards from the dam.  Why are these still this far back?  Lock 2 & 3 on the Allegheny seem to be much closer.  Anyone know if the main channel bouys are as far back?

20 Replies Related Threads

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/15 11:32:19 (permalink)
    couple of friends went to the ohio 2 sat. ago and caught a couple dozen saugers below dashields dam.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/15 20:27:34 (permalink)
    the rivers have been horrible all year, trust me
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/15 21:17:31 (permalink)
    Your fishing the wrong river, head over to the Mon and you'll be pleased, catfish have been good for me in Elizabeth on stink baits and chicken livers and smallmouth have been good on any kind of rapala countdown or a topwater fished near shore when the water is calm from evening thru the night and into the morning hours at the Maxwell Locks down between Brownsville and Fredericktown on the Washington County side. Its been a good year for me so far on the Mon, many nice sized fish caught by me and friends, also many different kinds of species, saugers, saugeyes, walleyes, white bass, striped bass, 1 rainbow trout, gar, some really nice freshwater drum, carp, and crappies will hit if you find them.

Ronnie
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/17 20:05:20 (permalink)
    fished the ohio river last night, got a couple walleye 15-18", a couple small sauger, a 15" smallmouth, and some small largemouth all in an hour and a half.  looks like things might be getting better.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/18 14:09:31 (permalink)
    Is there an advantage to using chicken livers over hot dogs, minnows, bread or nightcrawlers?  It seems like chicken livers are awful messy of u can catch the same fish with something "cleaner"

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    haemofish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/18 14:33:18 (permalink)
    You are fishing in the wrong spots.  Ohio river has been great this year, and right now with the temp. dropping only getting better.  Will have pics to post hopefully tomorrow. 
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/18 20:59:27 (permalink)
    Fished below emsworth tonight for a little bit, one 25" 5 pound walleye and a 15" largemouth. Ive been doing good on the walleye lately, and it should only get better.  you just gotta find the right spots

Is there an advantage to using chicken livers over hot dogs, minnows, bread or nightcrawlers?  It seems like chicken livers are awful messy of u can catch the same fish with something "cleaner"

when catfishin ive caught more on chicken and beef livers than anything else.  beef livers are big and need cut, but chicken livers are a good size.  ive had good luck for catfish on bacon fat.
    post edited by freshwaterdrumR - 2007/10/18 21:02:00
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/18 22:38:32 (permalink)
    Chicken livers have its ups an downs, it works very well but, if u whip it to try to cast far, it usually goes flyin halfway across the river, it will stay on tho pretty good if u ses a bigger hook and hook it as much as possible, as for cleaner, i'll bet the fish u catch on it are dirtier than the liver itself, if u really don't wanna use dirtier stuff, definatly don't use stink bait.

Ronnie
    smallmouth76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/18 23:47:12 (permalink)
    beef liver, stays on the hook a hell of alot better than chicken.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/19 08:33:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: haemofish

You are fishing in the wrong spots.  Ohio river has been great this year, and right now with the temp. dropping only getting better.  Will have pics to post hopefully tomorrow. 

I guess that I am.  Fishing the Emsworth pool, mostly back channel.  Talking to others on the water, doesn't sound like much going on around there.  The mouth of Montour, which is usually packed at this time of year, has had 2-3 guys just about every time I pass it.

As for chicken livers, maybe try salting them.  This is what the bait shops in NJ do to their clams.  It stiffens them up, and helps keep them on the hook.  Not sure if it would work, but might be worth a shot.  I'm not sure how they do it.  I know that they are not covered in salt, so imagine it is salt water.  Maybe drain the liquid from the tub, and replace with a brine solution, and let sit for a day or two, to stiffen up.  Try following some of the egg curing recipes from the steelhead forum.  I'd imagine they would be a little cleaner to work with after, and definitely stay on the hook better.  They'd likely not smell as much, so who knows if they'd work as well.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/19 08:52:39 (permalink)
    Heads up for the leetsdale boat launch,went to use it yesterday and it is tore up from the gate down. The dip from the rode may have bottomed out my Jimmy, and definetly would have bashed or stuck the trailor. At least someone is doin something there. Be prepared to pay again to launch. Hit the back channel for a couple hours,about 6 eyes, couple spots and one gar. Nothin much over 16", cept the gar.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    Lathander
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/10/19 11:31:19 (permalink)
    The mouth of Montour is terrible. Fishing there two weeks ago, only caught a 10'' sm bass in two hours. No one else caught anything at that time.
    ORIGINAL: Porktown

I guess that I am.  Fishing the Emsworth pool, mostly back channel.  Talking to others on the water, doesn't sound like much going on around there.  The mouth of Montour, which is usually packed at this time of year, has had 2-3 guys just about every time I pass it.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/11/09 16:05:23 (permalink)
    Try the Emsworth Dam, fished it last couple of evenings and have been killing on the eyes.  Caught one that was 26 inches and the others were around 20.
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/11/17 20:20:18 (permalink)
    Two weeks ago a friend and I hit Emsworth and did pretty well considering the bite was slow. Biggest eye was 15" even, biggest sauger was around 19" lost at the boat, one decent hybrid around 4lbs. or so, one big white bass and a few smaller ones. The only other boat on the water untill 10 am nailed  an eye around 7-8 lbs. Nice fish. Joe Baker and I hit the Ohio a month and a half ago, give or take and he slammed afew nice sized hybrids. Post a pic joe, I don't know how to do that. The bite should be getting better, I'll post results from tomorrow.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/11/19 10:25:50 (permalink)
    Yet another horrible day out yesterday for me.  Hit from Lock 3 to the Oakmont Bridge on the Allegheny.  Water a bit too high.  Was shore bound, so not much of a choice of spots.  One guy that I saw, was getting a fair share of suagers / eyes.  He had a nice seem, in the current break.  Would imagine the fish are stacked in some of those areas with the high water.  Hopefully it goes down a little with the extended weekend ahead.  Probably the last chance to dance, this year for me.  I can't wait until Spring...  A new year can't be any worse than this previous one for me, fishing wise that is. 
    Happy turkey day too all!
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/11/19 12:46:11 (permalink)
    How you been Dan??  Figured with the cold weather & work you'd be off the water - not so I see.  Haven't hit the rivers yet - maybe this week. Dave
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/11/20 18:11:42 (permalink)
    I'm good Dave. Busy as always but had to hit the water to keep my sanity. How about you?

The fish are there. We nailed too many to count. No monsters, most walleye were small, a few big sauger. Most were average. Jig and twister tail had a few hits with all misses then switched to jig and minnow. A few caught but still many misses. Added a stinger. Bingo. Most were caught in the deeper holes close to the dam hugging the bottom. Had a few channels and white bass mixed in. Where we nailed most of them would have been hard to do from shore in this particular spot but they are definately stacking up at the dams now. Sunday was the perfect "eye" day with the drizzle and overcast skies. Nice day to be fishing. A couple guys on shore but not another boat to be seen till we left around 1-2. Good luck.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/11/20 19:19:48 (permalink)
    Stingers.....never leave home without em.  Saved many a day for me with short hits. Glad to hear you racked em. Me & brother are gettin ready to terrorize the rivers if I can get him away from his traps.  Take care, Dave
    Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/11/21 00:35:13 (permalink)
    Meatball, I was on the back channel sunday morning from shore, was that you in the boat that was practically right up against the dam?  I saw the boat and no bouys in sight - although I recall seeing them earlier - wow, I didn't realize you were allowed to get that close.  Makes me wish I had my boat. 
    Mark
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ohio River - What gives? 2007/12/09 14:47:40 (permalink)
    Be careful if you are boating. Keep the outboard running in case you start to get sucked in. It happens quickly. I came real close to getting sucked in at Highland Park a few times when the lockmaster let me have at 'em. Don't be stupid. The fellows working on the back channel are real nice, probably just waiting for some entertainment from some dumas who gets too close. Be nice, be careful, don't ruin it by way of stupidity. And you really don't have to get that close now.
    Jump to: