Flares on PI

Author
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/30 11:27:00 (permalink)

Flares on PI

Is it required to have flares when on P.I. Not the main lake, just the bay? Thanks

15 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 11:31:07 (permalink)
    Regulations are the same for the bay, as the main lake.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 11:38:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: anzomcik

Is it required to have flares when on P.I. Not the main lake, just the bay? Thanks

Yes...
    Unless, your boat is under 16 feet in length, and it's daytime.
    In that case, No.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 13:00:16 (permalink)
    Actually, no they are not required on PI bay by any boat of any size.  We discussed this before.  Read through the following post.  Presque Isle is considered a different waterway when it comes to boating laws because the channel is less than 2 miles wide. Or so they said.  I know 7 or 8 years ago the coast guard didn't require them on the bay and I vaguely remember the local WCO also stating that they weren't required on the bay.

http://forums.fishusa.com/m_87020/mpage_1/key_flares%252Cpresque%252Cisle%252Cbay/tm.htm#87039
    post edited by Stillhead - 2010/03/30 13:02:04
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 13:51:48 (permalink)
    I hadn't considered the whole inland estuary/channel/separate body of water argument.
    Makes sense & I see what they're saying...I just can't find it in the book...
    Can anyone else?

I carry one anyway, better safe than sorry I figure.
    Just strange it isn't spelled out more clearly.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 14:07:49 (permalink)
    I could not find it in the book either, thats why i asked.

I have two boats one for the lake and other for "inland" water. I enjoy fishing the bay but not with my lake boat. With the flares expiring in my small inland boat i really did not want to buy another set, or move the good set back and forth, that always leaves chance for forgetting which boat they are in or if i moved or thought i moved... i am sure you understand
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 14:50:59 (permalink)
    Anzomcik, I hear you, however when you need to have your lake boat towed in with your inshore boat, I can tell you from experience, they will sit at walnut, check both boats when you come in and write you up for the one that didn't have them......Expensive.....lol.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 15:07:13 (permalink)
    I just did a search on visual distress signals, and this is what I found - I hope this helps some.

7. Do I need to carry visual distress signals?
    Visual distress signals (VDS) are only required when operating on Lake Erie, although they are a good idea everywhere.
    Between the hours of sunset and sunrise, boats less than 16 feet in length must carry VDS suitable for use at night.

Boats 16 feet and over must at all times carry VDS suitable for both day and night use. Approved day use devices include orange smoke and orange signal flags. Flare type VDS must be carried for night use.

A minimum of three flares must be carried. These must be Coast Guard approved. All flare devices have an expiration date and to be legal the flares cannot be older than the expiration date. We recommend that expired devices continue to be carried onboard for backup in an emergency. If you are disposing of expired devices, please do so in an appropriate manner.

this was not specific about the lake or bay. However, personally I would just carry them to be safe.

If not that would be one expensive fishing trip, if you didn't have them when you are supposed too.
    post edited by rookie5781 - 2010/03/30 15:10:46
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 15:31:02 (permalink)
    My boat is 15ft 9in. I carry three flares and a few flour orange flags. Not 'cause I have too....'cause I want to.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/30 23:20:56 (permalink)
    I'll agree with Stillhead . A few years back I was fishing the bay and decided to venture out to the Lake with a 16' boat. I was fishing near the Hammermill intakes when the wardens showed up and asked for my flares. I had out dated flares at the time not really knowing that they were dated just thought flares were flares. Well they told me had I stayed in the Bay I was fine but the Lake was another story. I beleive it was a 25.00 fine......back then.............end of story.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/31 01:15:17 (permalink)
    I got stopped in the bay a few years back, didnt have flares (ignorance). Was directed to a shop on the bay, got the flares and showed the wardens. Wished me good luck and left. One of a handful of times that getting stopped, did not leave a bad taste in my mouth. Carry them now regardless as to whether I have to.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/31 07:17:42 (permalink)
    I got checked while in the launch line and found that my flares were outdated. Had to get out of line, with 30 plus boats behind me, and go get some new ones before i could get back in line to launch. Lost almost an hour and a half of fishing time that morning.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/31 08:03:31 (permalink)
    I highly recommend having a distress flag (description below) for use during the day .

Lake Erie and the bay are Fedral Navigable Waterways ( governed by state and fedral laws ) you may want to become familiar with coast guard regulations if you plan to spend alot of time out there ....... To download a copy of the U.S. Coast Guard's Navigation Rules, go to the coast guard web site ( google search ) click on regulations it will link you to homeland security website fed nav rules that you may print out ... I tried the link here it will not work from this site .... but it is easily found .

This will give you all fedral navigation laws including right of way ( pecking order ) for boats .... Be safe out there gonna be warm this weekend .......

Orange Distress Signal Flag for Boats. The distress flag must be at least 3 x 3 feet with a black square and ball on an orange background. It is accepted as a day signal only and is especially effective in bright sunlight. The flag is most distinctive when waved on something such as a paddle or a boat hook or flown from a mast.

post edited by Dream Catcher - 2010/03/31 08:22:39
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/31 08:14:58 (permalink)
    A good example why to make contact with area WCO's for questions. The book (and sometimes its wording) can be confusing. A forum can bring you lots of answers.. some may be correct, others not, some just could be messin' The WCO's know the law, and will be the ones writing the fines if you break it. When I want to learn something, WCO's are who I contact..especially fishing out of state. They (unlike local fisherman usually) encourage out of state fisherman, know the fisheries, and are up to date on conditions.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/31 15:11:57 (permalink)
    Or attend one of these basic boating courses out there. As listed on PFBC's website ..... They probably have one near YOU at some point in the year and it is the cheapest way to go for this course .

Boating Safety Education Certificates are required:
    To operate a personal watercraft
    For persons born on or after January 1, 1982, to operate boats powered by motors greater than 25 horsepower.

Approved permanent Boating Safety Education Certificates for Pennsylvania residents must be issued by the PA Fish & Boat Commission. Out of state boaters must have a certificate issued for a course approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA).
    I am preclause but the course I found still useful I learned a few things I did not know . Remember the PF&BC doesn't even know all the Fedral coast guard rules out there so if your gonna spend time on the MAIN lake ( especially ) still a good idea to check out the FEDRAL REGS> as well the USCG expects YOU to know LMAO just as any other money maker out there ........

FROM PF&BC Website::::
    Boating Courses

(Sorted by Date -- Re-sort by clicking on any column heading)

Name of Course Date Sponsoring Organization Location Address Contact Fee Pre-Reg Required Additional Info
    Basic Boating
    3/6/2010
    08:00 AM to 05:00 PM
    ( Date 1 of 2) USCG AUX FLOTILLA 14-07 Lancaster County
    AMERICAN LEGION POST56 109 N BROAD STREET
    LITITZ, PA 17543 TERRY MILLARD
    717-627-3885 $15.00 yes
    Basic Boating
    4/24/2010
    08:00 AM to 05:00 PM
    ( Date 2 of 2) USCG AUX FLOTILLA 14-07 Lancaster County
    AMERICAN LEGION POST56 109 N BROAD STREET
    LITITZ, PA 17543 TERRY MILLARD
    717-627-3885 $15.00

anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Flares on PI 2010/03/31 16:49:50 (permalink)
    I have already attended and recieved my card.

Jump to: