Conneaut River

Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/23 09:46:17 (permalink)

Conneaut River

We were up in Erie/Conneaut exploring over the weekend. It was our first visit to the Conneaut harbor area because we wanted to scout it before using it... nice facility, sure looks like PA could take a lesson! Anyways... I digress... the question I have is regarding the river just East of there, as we were headed out of town on 20 we saw sign for another boat ramp and decided to take a look. We found an unimproved? ramp suitable for a small boat onto the river (I assumed it was the Conneaut River).
 We talked to a couple of guys there who had fished it many times but they could only advise they fished just for chrome and couldn't say anything else about the area, they weren't sure how deep it was and if there was a 'channel' into it and they also mentioned a railroad bridge down river that restricted access.
 We are interested in this area as an alternative to the big water when it gets too rough, is anyone familiar with the area and able to advise what the clearance is under the railroad bridge? I'm not even gonna mention fishing stuff, I'm willing to spend time poking around there to find out for myself, I love fishing smaller rivers... I was just wondering if it could be accessed from the harbor or only from that ramp area?
 Sorry about my question turning into a book!

9 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/23 10:16:58 (permalink)
    Not much help here, but we did fish up in the "crick" once when the lake was rough. From what I remember you cannot get past the RR bridge, but that was several years ago and the old memory ain't what it used to be. I'm sure someone here will be able to answer your question.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/23 10:19:36 (permalink)
    While I'm on the subject of river access... I have the book 'Western Pa all outdoors and field guide' which we use for reference for ramp locations and such, anyone aware of one similar for the Eastern Ohio area? I prefer a book I can take with me as opposed to just internet searching some info... especially when internet searching isn't very easy on dial up.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/23 10:25:12 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bulldog... glad to see you back!
    chili pepper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 745
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/23 11:54:01 (permalink)
    The steelhead get most of the attention on the tribs. Conneaut Creek too, but it is different. It starts way down in Crawford county and is stocked by the PA commish down there. Around Albion there are several branches and a warm water fishery in some sections with all the ususal species including some fine musky fishing. There are some deep/slow and real brushy spots. Some spots are stocked by the Albion Sportsmens Club too. Not to forget too that the steelhead use most of this creek, in season. Anytime you could not use the boat, exploring this creek could keep you busy.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/23 12:24:14 (permalink)
    you can catch some good smallies when the steel is out also its stocked with fry seen people pull monster cats i mean in the 40lb or larger you can get to it from harbor your windsheild may stop you i cant rember my height but i want to say 42" clearance is the norm at the rr turn bridge there is another ramp but sometimes 4x4 have a tough time and the boat no bigger than a 16ft not a real good ramp but it can be done also in the spring fishing the rocks on the east side can get some good fish from eyes to bass we pulled a 11lb eye years back on jig twister
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/25 12:59:21 (permalink)
    Fisherlady, I would probably stay away from this ramp altogether. If you have a boat with no windshield you can make it under the RR bridge coming from the harbor. There is actually good fishing in that stretch, but also a lot of vehicle break-ins. I personally would not park there unless I was shore fishing and could see my vehicle. The Conneaut Police Dept is aware of this situation and their advice to me was "stay away"! You can PM me for more details.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/25 13:11:10 (permalink)
    Thank you for the heads up centerpin....is the launch at Conneaut harbor patrolled at all?
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/25 13:32:52 (permalink)
    Yes--and very safe. Always lots of people and very nice restrooms and facilities. We have a cottage about 2 miles west of the breakwall. This will be my 30th summer in Conneaut.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Conneaut River 2010/03/25 18:53:48 (permalink)
    OHIO the BOATING and FISHING FRIENDLY STATE!!!!!
    Jump to: