water/ice damage

Author
marliezx7
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/08 19:54:32 (permalink)

water/ice damage

Hi guys. This is my first post, but have been reading some good posts from you all, and I have gotten alot of info about fishing from yinz. I am new to boating, and fishing for that matter. I used to only go the first day trout and maybe another day or two throught the year. But, I went to pymie last year in the spring for my first time ever, and I have been "hooked" since. I went and bought my own 16ft alumacraft with a 9.9 shortly after. I've been to Pymie a few times now, along with Wilhelm and Moraine, and once to erie appx 6-7 miles out( so I was told...had no navs at the time. haha) Anyways...to get to the point, I stored my covered boat at my friends house over this winter and was saddened to see that them heavy snow days crushed my cover and ripped it, letting in snow and water. Being i'm new to this boating, I didn't pull the drain plug. Now my boat has appx 1' of water in it, with and inch or so of hard ice on the floor. I'm hoping this warm weather were getting will melt it all soon! My question is, outside of the obvious damage i have to my electronics, radio and ff, etc. Do any of you think that my floor will rot, or warp from this water/ice? I have it tilted and draining, and will check on it wednesday. I have it fully insured btw with a little 100 dollar deductable. Funny thing, I just bought a 35hp and a new ff/gps for it too before I knew this happened. Any comments would be appreciated.
post edited by marliezx7 - 2010/03/08 20:07:40

Attached Image(s)

12 Replies Related Threads

marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/08 20:06:52 (permalink)
    add pic.

Attached Image(s)

JLBSR
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/08 20:19:18 (permalink)
    You need to hope that the water didnt swell and screw the seams up on your boat.  The weight is not good for the frame nor tires and springs you need to immediately pull the plug.  It is suppose to be in the 40's and 50's this week.  Hope all turns out ok.  If your friend has a garage and you can slowly get the boat in it and heat the garage and melt all you'll be better off.  You cant tow it far due to the weight.  I built a rib cage that fits inside my boat out of 2 inch PVC that tents the tarp a bit to prevent what you've shown.  Worked for me.

Sorry

Jim
    marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/08 20:41:58 (permalink)
    Yea it's draining now. I'm going wednesday to uncover it and let it sit out in the supposed 57 degree heat were to get. A heated garage sounds good too, i'll look into that. Lol, I do have a rib cage for it with the 3 bows you can see in the pics. Actually what made all this happen was one of the clips(middle one) holding the the bow in place broke, which in turn dropped the middle section of the cover allowing it to fill with snow. Then the weight of that buckled the other 2 bows. Thanks for the reply!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/08 21:16:09 (permalink)
    Thats a terrible shame! Wow....hopefully everything is OK...I'd think the hull should be fine since the ice had room to expand...lesson learned though I guess huh? I'd invest in a quality cover...I recommend Conneautville Canvas....and removing everything from your boat for winter storage, especially electronics/batteries...I do it every year that I stored any boats outdoors until I got my on board battery charger/tender. I wish you the best! Keep us posted.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/08 21:49:56 (permalink)
    Ouch---Sorry to hear about the damage. The bows do a good job of keeping water out but are not made to hold weight. You may want to consider support poles that will keep the bows from flexing. Another thing to consider for winter storage is straping down the cover in lieu of flexable cords. The previous post is the best idea, invest in a good custom cover. It will have straps or snaps with center poles.

As far as rot or mildue, get it dried asap. I have used a dehumidfyer (sp) under a tarp inside the boat. Be sure to drain the dehumidfyer often. When dry, sprinkle baking soda over the entire carpet and wait a day or so then vacum very well. Many suppliers sell a mildue spray to use after that. Leave your electronics in the boat when you dry it out with the dehumidfyer. You would be supprised how many electronic things still work after drying. Trick is do not attempt to try them out before they are dry.

Last tip then I will shut up. When storing your batteries for the winter (actually all the time) do not set them on a concrete floor. Put a piece of wood or something under them. If your batteries froze, be sure none of the sulfuric acid if wet cell got out. If so be sure you neturalize evertything.

OK, I am done

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/09 06:24:42 (permalink)
    marliezx7 If you can get your boat in a heated garage Do it right away and don't drain the water just yet. Use a turbo heater and run under the boat. That way the outside will dry off. Then the ice will melt and then you can climb under the boat and IF IT DID IN FACT LOOSEN any of the rivets you will see moisture around them or any seals . Then drain as much as you can and then run dehumidifier under a trap or cover. Good Luck Dave

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/09 09:15:31 (permalink)
    If you have a bilge or live well pump, be sure to check them out also. Once the water is out do as bighead said.
    If you have any vent caps remove them to allow air flow under the floor.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/09 09:42:01 (permalink)
    $100 deductible, call the insurance company. You may be able to buy it back, but you've been paying premiums for a reason, use it.

Consider this a lesson learned, you can't forget about your boat in the winter time. I have stored boats outside in the past and you have to check on them pretty much every day, especially if it's snowing or windy.
    fishmaster50
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/09 21:11:18 (permalink)
    spent like a 100dollars on a tarp made by tarp usa same material truck tarps are made out most snow fails right off made heavy custom bow so it wont collaspe plus gromets every 2 feet plenty to tie dowm but heavy enough dont have to tie down and i would contact insurance company thats y u pay for it had one from a truck used it for 8 years before i bought a new it was used when i started to use it
    marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/10 02:41:37 (permalink)
    Good tips guys. Thanks, I will put into use tomorrow! Will keep an update on what becomes of this.
    marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/16 19:45:34 (permalink)
    All cleaned up and ready to fish! Only lost my spot light, first aid kit, and two small rips in my cover(duct-taped for now)from the ice. Thank goodness for the warm weather were having! Thanks guys.

Attached Image(s)

MeTaLaNgLeR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: water/ice damage 2010/03/22 15:59:31 (permalink)
    you got lucky
    Jump to: