Burden Lake 9/28- contaminated bass?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/29 10:26:20 (permalink)

Burden Lake 9/28- contaminated bass?

Since I'm the only person who reports here, it's like talking to myself, but here goes:

Fished from shore at the 2nd Dyke. Conditions, wind from north and overcast.  Fish were holding not far from shore in weedbeds.  Caught 5 bass and a pickerel in an hour and a half on black and green pumpkin senkos. 
 Very nice 17" smallie among the bass, It swallowed my hook and went belly-up when I tried to release it, so I figured... fish for lunch.  First bass i've carved up in ages.  After filleting the fish and removing skin, I noticed a lot of black flecks on the fillets.  They were imbedded right in the flesh.  I'm guessing some kind of parasite.  They werent moving whatever they were. Anyway, the dog got the fish lunch.  Anyone know what may have happened to this fish?

3 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Burden Lake 9/28- contaminated bass? 2007/10/03 22:10:24 (permalink)
    yank, What little I know but heard from others over the years is that alot of fresh water species are host to parasitic worms which live in the meat of some warm water species. I'm sure you could eat these without being host to a fish worm parasite when cooked however, I would have done the same thing and fed the dog. I hope you at least cooked the fish for the pooch?.. Also I always look for information on the quality of the water, the source of headwater ,possible history for contaminants etc. before considering fish for consumption. When in doubt ,like I was a three lb.+ channel cat I caught below whitney point one summer night, I mean One can not be sure enough, pollution does exist so it is wise to play it safe 
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Burden Lake 9/28- contaminated bass? 2007/10/04 14:04:27 (permalink)
    Yank:  The Minnesota DNR has some info on what I think you saw.  Check this link out:   http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_diseases/neascus.html
    I have seen this in alot of the smallmouth I catch and have eaten them without any ill effects.  (I probably haven't noticed all the dead brain cells it caused!)  Of course, I presume there are varying degrees of infestation in different fish and the ones I ate were not as badly infected as the ones in the pictures.  It does state that the fish is safe to eat if well cooked. 
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Burden Lake 9/28- contaminated bass? 2007/10/04 15:33:28 (permalink)
    You guys hit it on the head... the Minnesota website from EagleCrg showed it exactly.  You guys are right again, it's OK to eat, but ... ehhh I have to pass.  Thanks, Back and EC
    Jump to: