Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/18 12:01:25 (permalink)

Audit Response----

Levdansky announces release of first independent audit
of Deer Management Program

HARRISBURG, Feb. 17 – The Legislative Budget and Finance Committee released findings of an audit on the Pennsylvania Game Commission's Deer Management Program Tuesday, which was the result of a resolution introduced by state Rep. David Levdansky.

Levdansky's resolution (H.R. 642) was passed by the legislature in April 2008 to secure the first independent analysis of the commission's efforts to decrease what they say was a swelling deer population.  The Wildlife Management Institute conducted the audit to determine if the state is harvesting the right number of deer of the appropriate age and sex ratio, in the right locations, and if the program is having the desired impact on habitat and forest regeneration.

"The Pennsylvania Game Commission's system of estimating deer populations and deer harvest has been a divisive and controversial issue among hunters for years, so it was important to find a reputable, professional and unbiased consultant to do the study," said Levdansky, D-Allegheny/Washington. "Wildlife Management Institute was chosen to conduct the study based on its past record of similar work and its reputation for professionalism."

Levdansky said the audit shows some changes are needed in some of the commission's methods, especially when it comes to measuring the conditions of forests, gathering public comments, validating herd health and the estimated annual deer harvest.

"My hope is that the Game Commission addresses those recommendations," Levdansky said. "I would also hope hunters and sportsmen's organizations would take time to read the report and get better insight into the program. The report did state that the science used by the Game Commission, in WMI’s opinion, is well founded."

State Rep. Ed Staback, chairman of the House Game and Fisheries Committee, added, 
"I do agree with many of the findings of the report and believe it will well serve the ongoing discussions about how best to manage the deer population for the betterment of our woodlands and our sportsmen. The more information we can have, the better."

Staback, D-Lackawana/Wayne, continued, "I was particularly interested in the suggestion for better reporting requirements for hunters. That is an issue I have been working on prior to the release of this document and hope to offer legislation that will provoke better data collection on kill rates from all deer hunters.  Improving the accuracy of those kill numbers will be a great help in improving population estimates."

"I'm not just a legislator," Levdansky added. "Like 900,000 Pennsylvanians, I'm a whitetail deer hunter and for the first time in 40 years, I didn't go to deer camp because of the lack of deer. It's important we address this issue, because it goes well beyond the impact on a hunter's odds of killing a deer. It affects tourism, local economies, forest regeneration and other wildlife. And as a father of two sons, I'm worried about the next generation of deer hunters.

"My hope is that with the completion and release of this independent audit, the Game Commission, General Assembly, hunters and all public stakeholder interests will now have the data and methodology in place to manage the deer resource throughout Pennsylvania," Levdansky continued. "And hopefully, this audit will result in an ensuing public debate that can be constructive and focused on recalibrating our deer management goals and objectives

2 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Audit Response---- 2010/02/18 12:06:22 (permalink)
    PGC response to suggestions ---

BREAK TIME.. I still have 27 E-mails to look ... LATER....

Recommendations from the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee’s audit of the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s deer program by the Wildlife Management Institute

Continue to improve the accuracy of the SAK model. WMI makes several technical suggestions.

·         We agree with these recommendations and continue to conduct on-going evaluations and field studies.

Use the point-of-sale licensing system, in conjunction with increased enforcement of mandatory reporting requirements, as a way to improve harvest estimates.

·         We agree that more hunters should comply with current requirements to report their deer harvests. 

·         As noted in the report on page 4, the PGC’s deer harvest estimates are strongly correlated with an independent, annual hunter survey, and this provides confidence in current results from PGC methods. Because of the strengths of our current procedures and harvest estimates, we will proceed cautiously with any changes.

Publish its estimates of the deer herd population for each WMU and explain how those numbers are derived.

·         Population numbers in the report are from an interim report from an ongoing PGC sponsored evaluation of the PA SAK model. This project will be completed in 2010 with the completion of a Master’s student’s thesis.

·         To date, results of the PA SAK model, in the form of indices tracking deer population trends, have been presented in annual reports posted on our website every year that the PA SAK model has existed.

·         The mean population estimates (report pages 72 to 81) are the best estimates of population size. High and low numbers reflect statistical measures of precision of population estimates; not range of the population estimates.

Consider eliminating herd health as a goal due to the lack of a good measure of goal attainment.

·         We agree that embryos per adult doe are a good index of herd health (report page 32). Unfortunately, embryos per adult doe may not change substantially in relation to habitat conditions. We will investigated suggested alternatives for the deer health goal.

Improve the sampling size for its forest regeneration metric. WMI makes several technical suggestions for improvements.

·         The PGC and USFS have recognized the sample size issue and have been working to solve this problem. However, solving this problem will require additional funding resources.

Create a statewide CAC and use statistically valid survey methods to obtain public input at the WMU level.

·         A statewide CAC is part of the next 10-year deer plan cycle (Strategy 5.1.3). Conducting surveys will require filling of currently vacant positions and additional funding resources.

Increase communication with stakeholders.

·         Three years ago, the PGC created a Deer Communications Working Group to increase communications. This group has increased communications and public input opportunities via brochures, videos, and open houses. Additional efforts will require additional funding resources.

·         PGC deer biologists have increased communications by publishing “The Deer Chronicle” twice a year, publishing articles in Game News, and conducting newspaper, radio, and television interviews.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Audit Response---- 2010/02/18 12:07:06 (permalink)
    Ahhhhh the dreaded "L" word......Please don't encourage your legislators to legislate game law.....Not good for anyone in the long run.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Jump to: