Will the real Carl Roe please stand up...

Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/18 01:12:16 (permalink)

Will the real Carl Roe please stand up...

I have two quotes here. Which one are we now to believe?

When facing hunters angry with HR, the PGC says that it manages according to it's "Constitutional Mandate" to manage game for all Pennsylvanians, not just hunters.

Then yesterday in the public hearing in front of the Joint Legislative Budget and Finance Committee, when pressed regarding timber and oil & gas resources, Carl Roe had this to say.

"Carl Roe, Executive Director of the PA Game Commission, stated that PGC "manages habitat and not forests." Roe emphasized that the role of the PGC is to maximize game for hunters and trappers..."
So which is it Carl? And why is it so hard to believe that people can not trust information that comes from the PGC. Mr. Roe appears to "dance with the best looking lady at the time the music is playing". Make up your mind PGC and when you get a clue maybe then you will find the support you are looking for.
post edited by MuskyMastr - 2010/02/18 01:13:37

Better too far back, than too far forward.

26 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 08:49:35 (permalink)
    OUCH!!! If they were really doing the second statement we would have had nothing to debate all these years and Doc would have been out of work.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 09:21:52 (permalink)
    E-mails sent....

MM where did you get this quote ---

Carl Roe, Executive Director of the PA Game Commission, stated that PGC "manages habitat and not forests." Roe emphasized that the role of the PGC is to maximize game for hunters and trappers..."

looks to me like someone else is or did write that --  note where the  quote marks are..."manages habitat and not forests" .. NOT the bold words.. they are not quoted so I am not sure if he did actually say that..

from what I have read he did say the first one about ""Constitutional Mandate" to manage game for all Pennsylvanians, not just hunters."

which is true and they are doing that... 

"habitat and not forests " is basically the same thing...  not puting hunters or any game animal first

my guess--- RIGHT NOW is he did not say ""the role of the PGC is to maximize game for hunters and trappers..."  and the author did....

but I will find out, as I said E-mails sent.......
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/02/18 09:23:27
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 09:27:34 (permalink)
    I found the quote it was written by an intern and in a release from the PFSC

and another E-mail was sent

thanks for pointing that out.. I missed that when I read that release....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/02/18 09:38:02
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 11:57:21 (permalink)
    Here's what I have  so far from returned E-mails..

I would also add that the quote is not taken in complete context but is simply how one person in the audience thought he said it.
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/02/18 12:08:42
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 12:04:24 (permalink)
    Still, even to say that in regard to a game land goes against everything that they have been telling us regarding wildlife populations and whom they are being managed for. What Doc posted seemed to be a fairly accurate representation of the meeting. I will try to get the transcripts.

BUT If he did refrence managing for hunters and trappers then he has changed his tune to suit the moment.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 12:11:39 (permalink)
    Another
    We manage habitat to maximize for all wildlife.  We do not manage for timber.  Some of our “cuts” yield no $$ because the idea is NOT to generate $$ but to create habitat
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 12:15:28 (permalink)
    Here's the context of what the PLS intern wrote ---

Rep. Levdansky asked how PGC only having a limited amount of data in regards to timber inventories and Comprehensive Management plans compare to Department of Conservation and Natural resources (DCNR). McDill responded that DCNR has better data than the PGC, but PGC has made improvements and continues to acquire more data. Rep. Levdansky questioned why PGC does not have better inventory of the timber if it is 20% of revenue. McDill responded that the PGC is starting to take better inventory of the timber and is making improvements. Rep. Levdansky asked if there should be a moratorium on timber harvests until an accurate inventory is gathered. McDill disagreed with a moratorium and suggested PGC focus on developing a more accurate plan rather than just timber removal. Rep. Levdansky asked what process PGC uses to action off bids and lease off lands compared to a public bid and what process does DCNR use when they action off bids and lease off land. Engelder responded that PGC trades parcels of lands to organize its boundaries and the stated that "it makes sense" for PGC to deal with companies that own land around the gaming lands and it does not makes sense to open these lands to public bids. Engelder continued that DCNR allows for royalties and signing bonuses and that the PGC has put more emphasis on royalties and focuses on the long term benefit of the revenue.

Carl Roe, Executive Director of the PA Game Commission, stated that PGC "manages habitat and not forests."
    Roe emphasized that the role of the PGC is to maximize game for hunters and trappers and they take a "different approach" towards conservation. Roe revealed that instances occur where certain trees are not harvested, even though they are primed to yield lumber, because they provide a habitat for wildlife. Roe stated that revenue is a "byproduct" and the PGC approach differs from DCNR. Roe mentioned that the PGC would "love to have revenue" from the OGM resources but is many cases they do not know who owns the mining rights.

Senator Fontana asked if PGC is confident they own the mining rights. Roe responded that he is confident PGC does not own the mining rights and stated that each parcel of game land has different contracts. Senator Fontana inquired about what the cost would be to figure out who owns the mining rights. Roe answered that to discover all the mining rights it would cost about $1.25 million in research to gather all the information.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 12:27:05 (permalink)
    Where is 270wbmag---or the general for that matter ---- They would be rolling on the floor LTAO over this. It was their contention all along that was the role of the PGC and many of their heated arguments with Doc were over just that subject. To hear Carl Roe make that statement would make their day.--------Maybe that is going to be the PGC's NEW MISSION STATEMENT.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 12:34:55 (permalink)
    Should see a commissioner tonight at the County council meeting. Will be looking forward to reviewing my list of questions, including Mr. Roe's comments yesterday.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 13:04:27 (permalink)
    To hear Carl Roe make that statement would make their day

which statement...
    ""manages habitat and not forests''

or the interns statement ..
    ""Roe emphasized that the role of the PGC is to maximize game for hunters and trappers "

remember it's two different people you are quoting....

I mean the poor intern may have made a mistake or some sort of typo or maybe just mis-understood what he did hear... notice a few words later he states  and it's quoted.. so it did come from Carl's mouth ..  """different approach" towards conservation.... that would be the "for habitat not forest" remark...

but as usual you are free to think what you want.. I will not and do not believe Carl said what the reporter wrote.. I think it is a mistake... or mis-representation of what was said...

and I'm none on the subject....
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 13:12:20 (permalink)
    Or the poor intern got it exactly right and your friends haven't figured out how to spin it yet. Don't be done until you post their answer to exactly what was said Doc. How is it the poor intern got the part right you wanted to hear but not the part you hope Roe didn't say?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 13:32:41 (permalink)
    I'm going on the quotes he hear and wrote down that came out of his(Carls) mouth.... not what he wrote he "understood" or how he interpreted what was said in general on all topic regarding the goals of the PGC

If he would have put those words in quotes .. i.e.  ...exactly what was said then I would not have an arguement and I'd be peeved

but since he DIDN'T quote Carl.. I can only believe that is HIS OPINION of what was said...

and I see no reason to continue to discuss it...

you can read the three reports and get where Carl was coming from on the goals of the PGC..

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 13:33:32 (permalink)
    So where do we get the transcripts from this meeting? I understand that he may have been misquoted, however the intern was very good with the details from the rest of the meeting. Sorry , an email from "so and so" is not going to do it to correct this either. I need to see the actual transcript. Until then the interns write up is the only public record.
    post edited by MuskyMastr - 2010/02/18 13:35:36

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 13:39:14 (permalink)
    If it is like others... it will take a week or two (AT BEST) to get them publicly....
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 13:40:46 (permalink)
    Doc Spin---your the one who posted what the intern wrote. There is no difference between the two sentences. What's the difference between stated and emphasized. Your going to lose credibility fast if you try to make that spin fly. Better just hope the transcript shows something different, or do you already know it's correct?
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 13:45:11 (permalink)
    ".. so it did come from Carl's mouth .. "

With all the garbage that has come out of his mouth lately, Id say hes long overdue for a good shot of mouthwash.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 17:57:31 (permalink)
    Carl Roe quote ====

As I stressed to the team, the Game Commission operates under a habitat enhancement model; not a forestry model. If I may give some examples as to a habitat approach compared to a forestry one. First, suppose we have growing on our State Game Lands an oak stand that is 125 years old. Under the forestry model, this stand is at its primary value and should be harvested. For the Game Commission, operating under a model which  emphasizes maximizing habitat for wildlife, if that oak stand provides hard mast for wildlife living in the area, then we will likely let it remain untouched for the next 50 years.

“The second example is that if we have a State Game Land that is surrounded by either state forest or commercial forest. A forestry model would mandate an attempt to maximize regeneration in order to increase the commercial value of the forest.  However, using a model which focuses on habitat, we would attempt to create a landscape that is 90 percent early successional forest or grass lands, so as to provide a diversity of food and cover for the wildlife in the surrounding area.

“I believe these cases are anathemas to a forestry model because we strive to create habitat which benefits wildlife. Unfortunately, in creating the report, the team based its recommendations and findings upon an analysis which is based upon the forestry model, not the habitat model under which we operate

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO where - repeat no where  ---  did he say ""emphasizes maximizing game for hunters and trappers""....

The intern GOT IT WRONG  it's that simple.....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/02/18 17:59:35
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 18:24:04 (permalink)
    The intern who writes these hearings up on a regular basis as part of his job, many of which are posted on the internet, made up half a paragraph quoting Roe. I think I'll do my own research on this one. Not accusing you of misleading us Doc,I assume your just repeating what you were told.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 18:38:57 (permalink)
    Great ... Knock yourself out...

it is what it is.. people do make mistakes in the REAL WORLD... and that would include the best intern...

do what you want...

I'm tired of posting things to help correct stuff that may be  wrong or my opinions.. 

you "anti  PGC" guys wouldn't beleive it  if GOD posted it...

I'll leave you have your hunting boards back to do what ever you want with it....

and post what  you want

HAVE FUN debating amongst your selves !!!
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/02/18 18:40:44
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 19:08:04 (permalink)
    Pgc clearly isnt worried about managing game for us even though its one of their supposed stated goals currently.

They care about as much about our deer herd, as I do about their goals of excess amounts of trillium hobblebush unnatural extreme levels of biodiversity, forest conditions that dont exist anywhere else in the nation, and other such nonsense.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 19:09:10 (permalink)
    you "anti PGC" guys wouldn't beleive it if GOD posted it...

God wouldnt post it in the first place. I doubt he looks upon pgc highly either.

Proverbs 19:9 --
    A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will perish.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/02/18 19:14:42
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/18 23:10:43 (permalink)
    Doc where did your snippet come from?

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/19 07:12:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Great ... Knock yourself out...

it is what it is.. people do make mistakes in the REAL WORLD... and that would include the best intern...

do what you want...

I'm tired of posting things to help correct stuff that may be  wrong or my opinions.. 

you "anti  PGC" guys wouldn't beleive it  if GOD posted it...

I'll leave you have your hunting boards back to do what ever you want with it....

and post what  you want

HAVE FUN debating amongst your selves !!!

Takin your ball and going home again...
    Seems to be your course of action when the truth doesn't match your PGC spin manifesto....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/19 08:31:21 (permalink)
    This has been a real tough week for the PGC and it's most ardent supporters. Doc has been shot down on many of his opinions or claims recently and it's probably best for both him and the PGC to take some time to regroup. I'am sure he will be back as always once things calm down and the PGC decides how to address the recent events. Spring is coming.
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/19 08:34:03 (permalink)
    He'll be back.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Will the real Carl Roe please stand up... 2010/02/19 13:07:52 (permalink)
    Here's the news release.

Release #017-10
    Feb. 16, 2010
    For Information Contact:
    Jerry Feaser
    717-705-6541
    PGCNews@state.pa.us

GAME COMMISSION ISSUES COMMENTS ON LEGISLATIVE RESOUCES AUDIT

HARRISBURG – Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe today issued the following statement on the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee’s audit titled “Examination of Current and Future Costs and Revenues from Forest Products, Oil, Gas and Mineral Extraction on Pennsylvania Game Commission Lands.”

“I have to say that I was disappointed in the report, and we have major concerns with the report,” Roe said. “At the beginning of the process, I asked that two things be taken into consideration as this audit was being conducted. The first was to keep in mind that, at all times, we produce habitat first; forestry is a by-product of that operation and is not the primary mission of this agency. Every part of the evaluation has to be taken in the habitat context and not a forestry model.

“Second, we asked that this not be an academic exercise, but that the team would understand our situation and produce a report that takes into the context the real world environment we are operating in. We are a wildlife agency; we are not the forestry division of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources or the U.S. Forest Service. Unfortunately, I believe the report failed to take into consideration the two concerns we raised.”

Roe continued: “As I stressed to the team, the Game Commission operates under a habitat enhancement model; not a forestry model. If I may give some examples as to a habitat approach compared to a forestry one. First, suppose we have growing on our State Game Lands an oak stand that is 125 years old. Under the forestry model, this stand is at its primary value and should be harvested. For the Game Commission, operating under a model which emphasizes maximizing habitat for wildlife, if that oak stand provides hard mast for wildlife living in the area, then we will likely let it remain untouched for the next 50 years.

“The second example is that if we have a State Game Land that is surrounded by either state forest or commercial forest. A forestry model would mandate an attempt to maximize regeneration in order to increase the commercial value of the forest. However, using a model which focuses on habitat, we would attempt to create a landscape that is 90 percent early successional forest or grass lands, so as to provide a diversity of food and cover for the wildlife in the surrounding area.

“I believe these cases are anathemas to a forestry model because we strive to create habitat which benefits wildlife. Unfortunately, in creating the report, the team based its recommendations and findings upon an analysis which is based upon the forestry model, not the habitat model under which we operate.

“We also were disappointed with the report’s examination of our oil, gas and mineral program as the analysis is superficial at best. To come up with an outlandish figure of $1 billion for the specified State Game Lands is beyond comprehension. If you use the data presented by the report, it rightly states that we only own 24 percent of the gas rights in the northeast region of the state.

“Nonetheless, the report includes projections that we could realize revenue in excess of $1 billion dollars, based upon assumptions that we own all of the mineral rights, an assumption that the report itself noted is false. The revenue projection also failed to take into account market factors and environmental concerns and limitations. To include such outlandish projections has no basis in the real-world limitations under which we operate.

“I believe the quickest way to summarize our concerns was that we anticipated a report that was going to attempt to answer the question of whether we doing everything we can based on our current resources to maximize our programs. We all know we could do more with more resources and clearly the report points out things we can do with more resources. But are we doing what we can with what we have? I will offer that we are exceeding standards in our wildlife habitat approach to both timber and OGM with the resources we have.

For a complete copy of the audit and the Game Commission’s comments, please go to the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee’s website (http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/), click on “Reports Released” in the left-hand column and scroll down to “Game and Fisheries” section.

# # #

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: