Fly line loop question

Author
norm289
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
2009/12/22 10:19:32 (permalink)

Fly line loop question

Got a new book as an early Christmas present.  While flipping through it, I came to a section on various loop connectors for attaching leader to fly line.  The one in question is like this.  Peel off the coating on the fly line, about an inch.  Double the fly line over it self to make a small loop.  Take thread and lash the peeled core to the fly line(looks just like wrapping thread on a hook shank).  Then tie it off and seal with zap a gap or super glue. 

Has anybody done this or tried it?  Normally on all my lines I have a short piece of heavy mono nail knotted on and then a perfection loop.  Always looking for something new to try.  Any feedback on this?

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach

17 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 10:25:07 (permalink)
    I'd think that exposed core would sink the tip section like a brick without a ton of sealant. Maybe I've just got the wrong mental picture though.

On lines that dont come with a pre-formed leader, I do as you do with the heavy mono. Usually a nice red loop of Amnesia 20# within 2" of the end of the flyline. Nail knot and end of flyline sealed up with a dab of UV Knotsense.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 10:25:58 (permalink)
    i have done it with running lines and heads
    even backing to running lines (when i forgot how to tie and arbor knot)

no issues

use Kevlar thread
    wrap the thread around the bobbin arm to add tension
    then while holding with both hands use the weight of the bobbin to spin the thread on

i use "hard as hull"

deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 10:28:57 (permalink)
    That is exactly what i do. Its the only connection that I've found so far that can handle repeated long duration fights with big fish. For mine, I try to minimize the thread wraps, and just add a drop or two of super glue to the wraps. It doesn't seem to sink too bad on the floating line.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 13:19:26 (permalink)
    too much thread or too much glue sinks the fly line.  i use a castwell knot to the leader loop.  use a small dab of superglue and you're good to go.  i find, other than a nail knot, this slide through the eyes the easiest.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2528
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 14:13:20 (permalink)
    I nail knot a heavy piece of mono onto the end of flyline, then tie a perfection loop in the other end of the mono, keeping it as short as possible. Some guys don't like the hinghed affect of doing it this way. Doesn't bother me.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 14:33:53 (permalink)
    if it is a a dry line to leader... nail knotted 30# with a perfection loop is best

norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 17:40:40 (permalink)
    Kev, the way you described spinning the bobbin around the line is exactly how the picture shows it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'm gonna give it a try on a spey line to attach a sink tip.  With what you guys have said, I think this might be better than the nail knotted piece of mono that I have on the end of it now.  Be more of a direct connection.

Like Bigfoot and other said, I have the short piece of mono with a perfection loop and nail knotted to the fly line on all my set up but one(got the chinese finger trap on that one lol).

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 17:44:55 (permalink)
    the nail knotted mono is cool if you re going out to mono

but i don't want a loss of energy transfer if it is between a head and a tip

ed ward's video shows using heavy braided loops with LOTS of aquaseel (have to check lbs of the loops)
    i have a spare 450g head, loops, and aquaseel... just no time

norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 17:57:48 (permalink)
    The loss of energy between the fly line and tip is what I am afraid of. 

I don't need any extra help messing up my two handed casts lol!

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 18:23:49 (permalink)
    i do use nail knot and perfection loop off of my tips and usually run 3-4ft of level 12#

norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 18:31:01 (permalink)
    I was planning on doing that.  Only difference was that I am going to split that 4' in half and put a section of 9#. 

I don't even know if my tip will match up with all the technicalities but I'm gonna give it a heck of a try lol!

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 21:54:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

the nail knotted mono is cool if you re going out to mono

but i don't want a loss of energy transfer if it is between a head and a tip

ed ward's video shows using heavy braided loops with LOTS of aquaseel (have to check lbs of the loops)
    i have a spare 450g head, loops, and aquaseel... just no time

Kev,
    Use Cotol to thin the AquaSeal to an almost water-like consistency.  Works like a charm without added weight and bulk...when you get some time.

Ironhed
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/22 23:45:49 (permalink)
    I did a search and found this, another way of putting a loop on the end of the flyline.  Isn't what I originally asked about but this was alot easier.

http://www.barflyfish.com/article_whipping_loop_in_fly_line.htm

I tried this on my line and did some pretty entertaining experiments to see if it would hold.  So far so good, hope it holds up tomorrow when I'm on the water lol.

Thanks again for everybody's feedback.  Appreciate it!

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/23 08:05:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

Kev,
    Use Cotol to thin the AquaSeal to an almost water-like consistency.  Works like a charm without added weight and bulk...when you get some time.

Ironhed

i've heard it is a great accelerator
    and can shorten wait times to 10-15mins

when i said "lots" the vid showed a dime sized amount in a spoon and then just a few dabs of cotol
    then fully covering the 2+ inches of braid over the line and the nail know leaving the loop untouched
    its not just a little touch of aquaseal

just need to find some cotol and then find the time

EDIT-
    10-15mins until tacky and you can stop worrying about it all running to a side
    1hr till fishable
    post edited by KJH807 - 2009/12/24 09:03:04

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/23 23:17:32 (permalink)
    It does speed things up too.

I didn't see the vid but it makes sense.

I own an old Rio line called a "Depth Charge"(not made any more).  It was a standard 90' line with a 30' sinking tip rated over 1000 grains(I think 1200gr).  I cut the tip off(all 30') and attached it to a smaller diameter level line with the coated leader loops.
    Fished off of a 9' 12wt, one haul would produce any easy 120' cast.
    It has seen many, many kings, and never once failed me. 
    I trust it.

Ironhed
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/24 09:03:19 (permalink)
    braided loops (for some reason) have not had my trust
    either nailknot to perfection loop when going out to leaders or the thread and hard as hull when looping lines

but after seeing how it was done....
    2+ inches of line in the hollow core
    nail knot a few cm up from the bottom of the braid
    cover the whole thing up to the loop in aquaseal

... i don't see how it can go wrong

there was also an interesting clip on using hollow braid to splice lines
    basically the same deal... just don't aqualseal over the junction of the lines

Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Fly line loop question 2009/12/24 09:05:48 (permalink)
    When placing a new loop in the fly line, is it necessary to seal the end of the fly line where it has been cut?
    Jump to: