looking to get a fly rod for steelhead

Author
nut
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 295
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/26 10:05:26 (permalink)

looking to get a fly rod for steelhead

as the heading says, i'm interested in a fly rod for steelies. i have an eye on a 9ft 7 wght 4 pc. but i;m not familar with the company. they're called scierra, the rod name is an ic3.
i;m also looking at a ross reel named flystart. so i guess a good question would be what kind of drag system will perform well during cold weather angling. any thoughts on these two set-ups. i'm not looking to break the bank here i can probably get this for $150 or so. thanks in advance.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com

3 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: looking to get a fly rod for steelhead 2009/11/26 16:40:17 (permalink)
    I can't say about the rod but I'm sure it will work ok. Avoid the flystart, Ross is a good product but that reel is not. For a low end reel I'd suggest the Okuma Integrity 8/9 .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: looking to get a fly rod for steelhead 2009/11/26 18:44:23 (permalink)
    I've owned a few Scierra rods.......they are a Scandinavian company--they set up shop in the US for a little bit, but from what I've read, they are pulling out of the US market.......

The IC3 is an entry level rod......the big C was blowing them out for like 75 bucks a piece......I did pick up a 5wt...fished it and didn't care for it.......the big C has them on sale for 49.99 right now.....a very good deal
    I think they originally sold for around 140 bucks--  so for fifty bucks, I would guess you can't go wrong !!!!

I have also fished a Scierra Ferox in a 4wt and thought the rod was outstanding--it retailed for 200 dollars

I still have a Scierra CTC 9 foot 3 inch 7/8 wt--  It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful rods I have ever put my hands on......casts a line well also.....it had a cost of around 300 dollars-- might have been a little more

Reels:  cheap one that will get the job done is an Okuma Air Frame or Cascade---  composite reel that is a real workhorse--you can find them for about 30 bucks.......you can put about 100 yards backing on a 7/9 reel with a 7wt line

Reels:  for about 75 bucks or so you can get your hands on a Fly Logic FLP 567 reel ( retails for about 125--check out ebay--much cheaper)......greatest drag system I have ever used.....I have used this reel for steelheading and even salmon fishing......it has the guts to stop a 30 pound salmon.........I love Fly Logic reels.......the backing capacity on the 567 is more than adequate--  175 yards 20 pound micron with a 7 wt line

post edited by 2Bonthewater - 2009/11/26 18:52:40

www.2bonthewater.com
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: looking to get a fly rod for steelhead 2009/11/28 05:07:53 (permalink)
    thanks for the advice, went out and ordered an okuma slv-7/8 from fish usa.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    Jump to: