FIRST TIME EVER

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/13 19:25:14 (permalink)

FIRST TIME EVER

I didn't think i would get to go today with the funeral in all.The service ended around 2 10.I picked the old man up an headed to the mountains.Got to my spot and treed up around 3 30.Then at 3 45 i hear something walking in the pines.Here comes a doe coming to the well i was hunting two seconds later here comes a nice 9 point.If i was ready i could of killed him at 25 yards but i wasn't.They walked  an feed on the well for 10 minutes or so.Then the next thing i see him do is start licking her behind.Then he jumps on top of her and hammers her for about 1 minute.Then she walks 10 yards an he hammers her again.They exit the  well but to my surprise they come back 5 minutes later.The doe was walking a bead line for me.She had no clue i was there with bucky boy on her heels.She came to the well road about 15 yards aways.He stayed in the patch between the road and well he was 22 to 25 yards in one of my shooting lanes.Not  nervous or nothing i drew my bow back put my pin of him and let her rip.He ran maybe 50 yards and beded down then he got back up.Not sure of my shot and not be able to find my arrow we mark the spot where he laid down and backed out.Does anybody have a clue why he would lay down so fast?Found good red blood don't look like a gut shot.I'M SICKKKKK RIGHT NOW.

12 Replies Related Threads

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/13 19:28:57 (permalink)
    sometimes when they are so tired from hammering does all week.. that when something stresses them they bed down.. happened to my buddies dads buck last year.. he shot him while he was chsing a doe.. ran like 60-70 yards bedded down for like 15 min then got up..this time of year they run themselves ragged.. hell be where he laid down for sure unless something bumped him.. which i doubt.. sounds liek you were very careful backing out. sounds like a great hunt..my brother got an 8point on saturday.. he shot him he took 15 steps and bedded down.. so this isnt too uncommon this time of year
    post edited by byahn32 - 2009/11/13 19:30:09

Mossy doesnt need more beer.. i need cherry juice.
    krott243 rivals Zonk for position of darth vader!!

loopys unofficial group member lol (i peer through the window on meetings)
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/13 22:39:08 (permalink)
    i shot a buck quarting away threw the liver one time, i would assume a lung too, i forget now it was 5 years ago. but when i hit him he took a jump and then walked slowly away and as he tried to bed he took off, the arrow was still in him at the time..but went back 3 hours later to find him still alive but bedded and he got up and ran 30 yards and fell over dying..and got up once more but into one of those "death spins". i've heard of them bedding before alot... In all reality if you're waiting til the AM to go after him, you shouldnt be going more then 80 yards or so and you'll find him bedded stiff, but bring your bow just incase..go slow!! until you see the white belly on his side lol, you should find him, good luck to ya.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/13 23:28:25 (permalink)
    Layed down cause he hurt. hopefully he didn't hear you marking the spot he layed first. If he didn't , should be a short morning trip to pick him up. Good luck.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/14 00:04:02 (permalink)
    I agree....If he lays down that quick..He is hurtin and shouldn't be too hard to find...Hopefully he didn't clot up on you..

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/14 12:39:06 (permalink)
    We looked for him for 5 hours today.The blood stopped about 250 or 300 yards after tracking.We never did find my arrow.We wnet back an look where i shot found some white hair there and twig cut off.I'm hoping that i hit that twig an grazed his chest or belly.Still can't figure out why he went an layed down like he did.I suck
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/14 13:07:22 (permalink)
    was it a broadside shot? how far? im just wondering to if you maybe did graze the upper leg and the arrow is buried ground. i've missed deer and my arrow was unfindable cuz it went somewhere into the ground...was the blood just a few drops like dripping out right below the deer? or could you tell if you were walking down the trail and the blood was coming on one side of the trail..you can tell alot of where you hit the deer just from how and where the blood is being found.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/14 19:32:41 (permalink)
    Bull Lifter he was broadsided at 26 yards ranged it today.I usally always see my arrow strike a deer but last night i didn't or did i hear a thud like when u blow through them.The blood trail was easy to follow up to where it ended.Where he laid down wasn't alot of blood but a descent amount with some white fur in it.I'm not sure if he would come to the well road or not.Boy do you guys every think about what you should of did different?
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/14 19:58:09 (permalink)
    Chicken sorry to hear that it sucks man! You just gotta try and not worry about what you shoulda done different you cant change the past. Hopefully you grazed him and he'll be back out there ''hammerin'' does again! LOL.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/14 20:11:15 (permalink)
    my guess is you may have hit the meaty part of the upper leg, my buddy almost the same story hit a doe saying he blew right threw the deer and saw the arrow come up high on bush, and i kept telling him if you blew threw the chest and got a pass threw the deer is gonna lay down and die, but not getting into his story too much im figuring he hit the leg too and the deer kicked it up "high"..one time i hit a doe smack dab in the shoulder and got about 6 inches my arrow in her and the blood was great for about 250 yards and then just stopped, it was more like a "thin' blood though kinda like a thing spray of blood and not big blown out drops everywhere. and I think about doing something different every time. hell i got my deer and thought to myself what if i woulda waited? would he have turned more broadside for me? orrrrr just RUN..but

just keep your head up, you'll get one. the same year i wounded the doe in ohio,(wounded a doe in pa too)
    ((on a side note for anyone else reading this, dont think i was an arrow flinger! both shots were under 20yrds...i hit the pa doe first far back and then the ohio doe in the shoulder..musta been afraid of shooting her far back too)).

i was "done" and my dad kinda pushed me into going back out and i did and a 3 point came under me and i drilled him(ohio).

sorry hearing that you didnt get him. its not too long til gun season so maybe he's still kicking and you'll get a chance at him that way!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/15 19:35:19 (permalink)
    We looked again 2day with no luck of finding him.Thinking about taking a rake and metal detctor up there i want to find my arrow.I still have 3 trail cams up there so hopefully we'll get a pic of him to make sure he's ok.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/15 20:09:36 (permalink)
    yeah, atleast your trail cameras are still there and not stolen like mine
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: FIRST TIME EVER 2009/11/16 06:34:37 (permalink)
    I had one stolen by the house this year.I know the little skinny motherfer that did it also.Two of these three cameras are on state gamelands but  they're all cuddeback captures in bear cages with padlocks on them and 4 lag bolts through the cage.
    Jump to: