Carp Fishing on TV

Author
mmagreg
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/01 11:24:59 (permalink)

Carp Fishing on TV

The Sportsman channel on DirecTv tonight had a show called Breaking the Surface which featured an episode on carp fishing! I think that is awesome... too long now the carp has been disregarded as worthless fishing by the mainstream.

If i recall they were on the Missouri River. This woman was dead drifting plastic craws and catching decent common carp, and a decent mirror. She kept switching between a spin rod and a fly rod depending on location. Anyway, it was a good show and featured carp!

www.steelcityanglers.net.tc

11 Replies Related Threads

clay516
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2009/11/01 18:12:41 (permalink)
    Pretty cool.  Do you know if its going to air again?
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2009/11/01 18:26:58 (permalink)
    Anytime they do a show on Carp, they always do it half ****ed...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2009/11/01 23:20:14 (permalink)
    I dont know about that. I watched an episode of The Archers Choice and they were bow-fishing for the asian carp that jump in the air. They were smoking them as they jumped around the boat!!! lol, I could not believe how many of the carp they hit while driving in a boat and shooting at fish that are 4-5 feet in the air.

THAT is doing it full-****ed, not half-****ed. :)

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2009/11/02 01:22:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mmagreg

The Sportsman channel on DirecTv tonight had a show called Breaking the Surface which featured an episode on carp fishing! I think that is awesome... too long now the carp has been disregarded as worthless fishing by the mainstream.

If i recall they were on the Missouri River. This woman was dead drifting plastic craws and catching decent common carp, and a decent mirror. She kept switching between a spin rod and a fly rod depending on location. Anyway, it was a good show and featured carp!

Your are likely talking about common carp we are all familiar with and not the newer invasive asian carp species that are a totally different ------just so there's no cornfusion.

But yeah, in recent years there have been some segments on carp fishing on angling shows like In-Fisherman and Lindner's Angling Edge, among others.  Even Flip Pallot had done some carp segments on his old show Walker Cay Chronicles, including one where he fly fished with Lefty Kreh for carp on the Susquehanna River.

I couldn't find any link to the particular show ya mentioned above, but here's a link to a carp flyfishing video:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid25033495001?bclid=25024021001&bctid=1606794793
    mmagreg
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2009/11/02 02:06:44 (permalink)
    Clay - I tried to look in to when they might re-air the episode and their website didn't seem to even mention the show... i wanted to share that info here, unfortunately i couldn't find it.

Mountain - I have to say they did a **** good show of it... while i have used a fly rod, and various presentations thereof, i have never thought to dead drift a soft plastic... makes **** good sense tho. Here on the Three Rivers in the city of Pittsburgh they generally will eat anything sitting on the bottom. I've been spoiled by dropping line with corn, bread or McDonald's french fries depending on the season. In late September i catch nice common carp on chicken livers or hotdogs at the catfish hole even.

pacarper - i'm not likely talking about common carp... read the post again... i mention, without obfuscation, that they were catching common carp (and one mirror carp).... somehow i doubt anyone was confused by that. You catching carp other than common in PA? I'd be interested in hearing about that if so. What general area of PA are you in? Always looking for someone else to drop line with!

www.steelcityanglers.net.tc
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2009/11/02 14:01:16 (permalink)
    We both know what you were referring to, but asian carp got thrown into the discussion and just reiterating the difference.  Some like to lump all carp into one category and that ain't the case.  And I didn't say anything about confused, I said cornfused, there's a diffference.
    Case in point, a few years back when that bfer tried to claim the PA state record carp with that 54 grass carp, more accurately, white amur, from Preaque Isle that he shot------but it didn't count since it was an invasive asian species that wasn't supposed to be in public waters.  A number of years back biologists caught an asian bighead carp from Presque Isle as well, so the asian carp are in PA waters unfortunately.
    Grass carp are to be had in PA, but more than like likely in private waters such as golf course ponds where they can be stocked (permit required from state) for weed control.  I know of one paylake in SW PA that has grass carp and I've seen a couple of bighead carp landed there as well-----must of got stocked with the regular common carp.
    I've caught plenty of common/mirror carp and a couple of koi carp as well over the years, but not any asian carp....................yet.
    I'm in NW PA.
    mote1977
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2009/11/02 16:37:24 (permalink)
    Breaking The Surface airs 11/3 at 10am on the Sportsman Channel. I'm not sure if it's the carp episode or not. It might be since they seem to replay the same episodes for about a week or so.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2010/01/29 05:42:57 (permalink)
    For anyone interested, looks like In-Fisherman TV will be airing some segments on carp fishing in the next month on their two TV shows:
    Week of January 25th - Tough Customers "Drag Smoking Carp" (this coming weekend)----In-Fisherman Specials
    Week of February 1 - Sportfish in Action "Sight Fishing Carp"---------- In-Fisherman Critical Concepts show
    Week of February 15 - Big Bad Boys on the Block "Block Buster Carp"---In-Fisherman Critical Concepts show

The shows airs at 7 and 7:30 am Sat. on FOX Sports Network on TW cable and are repeated at other times during the week.  Check your local listings for time on your cable system.  They also air their shows on the Sportsman channel.

post edited by pacarper - 2010/01/29 05:44:00
    Randy101
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2010/01/29 08:14:42 (permalink)
    I wish they/someone would do more carp and cat fishing shows.......
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2010/01/30 16:38:43 (permalink)
    Its funny you mention that Randy because a friend of mine works in television and he said whenever a carp or catfish fishing show is on it gets the highest rating over any other specie out there. I think all you see is bass and after so long guys get bored with it and would like to see soemthing else.Looking forward to the new in fisherman shows to see how they do this time. I heard its more up to date with whats going on.
    post edited by accordbw - 2010/01/30 16:39:15
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: Carp Fishing on TV 2010/01/31 03:22:32 (permalink)
    I watched the common carp segment on the In-Fisherman show Sat. and it was one of the better ones I've seen them do.  Doug Stange was one of the anglers and he showed the baiting of a hair rig with a boilie/corn cocktail and then they were rippin' some pigs-----all the fish they landed were 20+ lbers.  Plenty of drag-smokin' action.
    Since In-Fisherman has always presented a multi-species approach on their shows, they usually do segments on three different kinds of fish, so that doesn't give too much time to go into a lot of detail.  Course they had the carp segment on last as they usually do, but........
    There has been more segments on carp (and catfish) fishing in about the last 10 years on TV fishing shows.  Not as much as some other fish but still some, if ya keep an eye out for them.  In-fisherman, Lindner's Angling Edge, and Walker's Cay Chronicles (no longer on) are all TV shows I have seen cover carp fishing over the last decade.  Bill Dance will do a catfishing episode every-once-in-awhile as well on his show.
    Jump to: